• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Fades

Banned
My husband and I both seem to be in the minority that think Ryan Gosling is just so boring. I mean, yeah he's handsome and all, but just so utterly...banal.

DOWN

Banned
I agree with Seaththat the Grand Mac is delicious and you should all try one followed by all 5 varieties of shamrock shake

Salarians

tumblr_okd7jg4ILV1qkw070o1_1280.png

Kevyt

I agree with Seaththat the Grand Mac is delicious and you should all try one followed by all 5 varieties of shamrock shake

I bet the chocolate shamrock slays but that's like 1000 calories in a drink

Wat... I never saw those in my most recent trip to McDonald's. Okay, maybe I can go again this weekend and look for the Shamrock Shake.

I didn't see any promotional material at the McD about it.

I love it that most McD now have screens instead of the paper posters.

You won't be a 6/10 for long if you eat that much fast food

He's a 10/10 for me!

Your taste in men is a bit flawed good sir :p

So are most gay relationships just kind of implicitly open? All the gay dudes with boyfriends at these board game meetups I go to are also on apps like Grindr/Scruff.

JCX

So are most gay relationships just kind of implicitly open? All the gay dudes with boyfriends at these board game meetups I go to are also on apps like Grindr/Scruff.

The oversized emphasis on sexual desirability and the more lax norms around sex pressure them to be open. From couples I've talked to, it often seems like one person wants open more than the other, and the other person capitulates to keep the relationship going. I'm sure there are some where both want it open though.

Being gay is tough if you want monogamy, especially since some argue that a gay's pursuit of monogamy is a form of respectability politics. I disagree, because in the same way that feminism allows you to be a stay at home mom if you want, being gay shouldn't require a rejection of monogamy.

berzeli

Banned
There isn't any good/reliable/available statistics on that which I can give you. All of the (easily) publicly available statistics I've seen used is at least 25 years old and that renders them pretty useless.
I probably should clarify as to why I find them useless; Attitudes regarding relationships vary greatly over time, e.g. the attitudes amongst hetero married men towards having an affair in the 60s and in the 80s were radically different (I can't remember the figures but iirc the shift was over 40 points). It would be super interesting to see if/how legalised gay marriage affects attitudes towards commitment.

side note: if anyone is able to read/download the full article "Perceived emotional and sexual satisfaction across sexual relationship contexts: Gender and sexual orientation differences and similarities" I'd love to see it. The article seems to be based on a self selected online survey which isn't great, but it is from the Kinsey institute and they're usually quite good at this.
The oversized emphasis on sexual desirability and the more lax norms around sex pressure them to be open. From couples I've talked to, it often seems like one person wants open more than the other, and the other person capitulates to keep the relationship going. I'm sure there are some where both want it open though.

Being gay is tough if you want monogamy, especially since some argue that a gay's pursuit of monogamy is a form of respectability politics. I disagree, because in the same way that feminism allows you to be a stay at home mom if you want, being gay shouldn't require a rejection of monogamy.
I'd be wary of drawing that broad of a conclusion on anecdotal evidence.

And for the bolded, is that really happening to a greater extent within the LGBT community these days? Let's be clear, I'm not saying that no one is saying it, but I'm not sure how much of a factor it is.

How do you write/prepare for giving a lecture.

I have no idea what the point of moderation is between writing down every significant point or thought that you want to address, or just getting up there and trying to pull everything from memory.

I have an hour and twenty minutes to fill.
I tend to prepare a small presentation, which helps the audience follow your lecture. You also won't have to write down the most important points on the board, plus it helps you in case you forget anything.
I also tend to prepare a text, containing everything I am going to say. I wouldn't recommend learning it by heart though, as you derail pretty quickly if you forget something.

side note: if anyone is able to read/download the full article "Perceived emotional and sexual satisfaction across sexual relationship contexts: Gender and sexual orientation differences and similarities" I'd love to see it. The article seems to be based on a self selected online survey which isn't great, but it is from the Kinsey institute and they're usually quite good at this.
I could send you the PDF, if you want.

Menaged

I have no idea what the point of moderation is between writing down every significant point or thought that you want to address, or just getting up there and trying to pull everything from memory.

I didn't have so much time to fill thus far, but I had about 45 minutes lectures.
I usually have a presentation with me to help myself and the students. IMO it's super important that the presentation won't be full of text / replicate what you're saying, since they'll have to divide their attention all the time.

I like to use my presentation as a sort of anchor, so I use mostly pictures that helps everyone know what's happening and it doesn't distract as much.

As for your text - I write general points in the notes section of power-point. I'm not in favor of remembring everyhing by heart since it's impossible and would probably feel robotic as well. As long as you know your stuff, it's all good. Worst case scenario and you forget something you can always go back to it, or just skip it - no harm done.

Astral Dog

I may be straight but I'm gay enough to know that that dude is no more than a 8/10.

Can straight guys have a good time at gay bars?
At best ;)
And of course they,im no expert
don't know anything
but don't see why not,its about having fun right? You may go there and dance to your heart's content until someone asks yo out and you drop the bomb 😆

I have no idea what the point of moderation is between writing down every significant point or thought that you want to address, or just getting up there and trying to pull everything from memúory.

I remember one class about this in college.i think we used something called Mind Mapping though i don't remember much else,something about mental syringes,there was a LOT of theory .

Its actually the only course i failed :S

Edit: also don't forget to tell a small personal story before your presentation if it fits
If you are doing Any kind of presentation no wrong in looking at thisand other articles about a pitch ,may help you

Sai-kun

Banned
i don't find him attractive

well first of all--

Well he's/you're like a 3 so 🤔

jskdj nvm

tell them to fuck off and read a book

Rayis

Valentine's is one of those days when I find the people complaining about the holiday more annoying than the holiday itself, have some self-respect and dignity single people.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Valentine's is one of those days when I find the people complaining about the holiday more annoying than the holiday itself, have some self-respect and dignity single people.

If I had self respect and dignity do you think I'd still be single?

Checkmate.

Astral Dog

That doesn't work when DOWN makes threads like these

jk i agree we should all atleast try to have fun today,Valentine is not exclusive to couples :p

JCX

There isn't any good/reliable/available statistics on that which I can give you. All of the (easily) publicly available statistics I've seen used is at least 25 years old and that renders them pretty useless.
I probably should clarify as to why I find them useless; Attitudes regarding relationships vary greatly over time, e.g. the attitudes amongst hetero married men towards having an affair in the 60s and in the 80s were radically different (I can't remember the figures but iirc the shift was over 40 points). It would be super interesting to see if/how legalised gay marriage affects attitudes towards commitment.

I'd be wary of drawing that broad of a conclusion on anecdotal evidence.

And for the bolded, is that really happening to a greater extent within the LGBT community these days? Let's be clear, I'm not saying that no one is saying it, but I'm not sure how much of a factor it is.

I framed the observation as an anecdote for a reason, and specifically about gay male couples, since I don't have the experience to speak on the lesbian or trans experience. Maybe it's just gay men in metro Detroit who are like that, but who knows. I would be interested in actual data on gay male open relationships though. From your objection it sems like your anecdotal evidence says otherwise.

This isn't a value judgment on open relationships either - it just seems like open relationships/marriages as concept are far more common in gay male relationships than straight ones (ex. I could imagine that hetero norms being more friendly to open relationships coukd save marriages, for example).

As for the former, part, it's something that i have seen manifest in a number of ways. It's an outgrowth of how much more sexualized gay male dating is relative to both hetero dating and lesbian dating. While hypersexualization is in no way unique to gay male dating/relationships, I would argue it has an outsized effect on us. I mean the biggest gay dating app is commonly referred to as a hookup app by most people. Many gays say that trying to date on grindr, while possible, is nearly a fool's errand. There isn't really an exclusively gay-focused dating app that is structurally made for dating.

Vazduh

One friend has been in a happy monogamous relationship for almost 8 years and he and his partner aren't even thinking of messing around with other guys, but I feel like he's an anomaly, a rare exception.

I wonder what does it take for that to happen, actually? When I asked him, he didn't know the exact answer, he'd just say they complement each other very well and are still in love.

Personally I don't think I'd mind much if the dude I was with slept around with other people. But that's largely because I worry about finding full sexual compatibility with someone given how seemingly impossible it has been for me to achieve orgasm these past couple of weeks.

Gonna talk to my doctor ASAP though. Maybe I've some hormonal issue. I don't think I had this big an issue even just 2 years ago.

Maledict

One friend has been in a happy monogamous relationship for almost 8 years and he and his partner aren't even thinking of messing around with other guys, but I feel like he's an anomaly, a rare exception.

I wonder what does it take for that to happen, actually? When I asked him, he didn't know the exact answer, he'd just say they complement each other very well and are still in love.

My fiancé and I have been in a monogamous relationship for 14 years this march. Most of the guys I know in relationships are in monogomous ones. None of us go onto the scene much though...

Astral Dog

i feel like i can't properly give an opinion on this without sounding like a big dumb hypocrite because i never been in any relationship,parents are very conservative and tried to teach me values so i obviously see the good things that whole style of life brings.
But there is an ugly side its alright if everybody laughs at you and being Gay or make you feel worthless than animal,you will be happy as long as you have a job and make money to stay good with society etc.

This makes me not want to have any part of a "normal" life at times,but i can't even imagine having a normal relationship anyways.

in the end i think everybody should find the paths that makes them happy,if you desire a normal relationship with a single partner, kids and puppies you can do it.if you want something else you can do too and will be fine as long as you are aware of the risks,its difficult either way,not everyone will agree or say its correct,you won't always fit with the rest of the group or your community, but its NOT impossible. just don't let others tell you how to live.there is enough place here for everybody

hard to say more because this is like a case by case thing,maybe if someone comes asking for relationship advice with his consevative/open boyfriend we could help a bit ;-)

not sure if this makes any sense

berzeli

Banned
I framed the observation as an anecdote for a reason, and specifically about gay male couples, since I don't have the experience to speak on the lesbian or trans experience. Maybe it's just gay men in metro Detroit who are like that, but who knows. I would be interested in actual data on gay male open relationships though. From your objection it sems like your anecdotal evidence says otherwise.

This isn't a value judgment on open relationships either - it just seems like open relationships/marriages as concept are far more common in gay male relationships than straight ones (ex. I could imagine that hetero norms being more friendly to open relationships coukd save marriages, for example).

As for the former, part, it's something that i have seen manifest in a number of ways. It's an outgrowth of how much more sexualized gay male dating is relative to both hetero dating and lesbian dating. While hypersexualization is in no way unique to gay male dating/relationships, I would argue it has an outsized effect on us. I mean the biggest gay dating app is commonly referred to as a hookup app by most people. Many gays say that trying to date on grindr, while possible, is nearly a fool's errand. There isn't really an exclusively gay-focused dating app that is structurally made for dating.
I wasn't as much objecting to your overall point as I was to the use of anecdotal evidence for such a sweeping assertion. Because anecdotal evidence is incredibly flimsy for social situations, see:
My fiancé and I have been in a monogamous relationship for 14 years this march. Most of the guys I know in relationships are in monogomous ones. None of us go onto the scene much though...
You're way more likely to find that basically any concept (monogamy, political preference, fondness of the hit TV show Riverdale starring KJ Apa's abs) is in a majority amongst your social circle since your social circle is self selective. (In statistics, self-selection bias arises in any situation in which individuals select themselves into a group, causing a biased sample with nonprobability sampling. [wiki])

The data I did find supported the idea of open relationships being more prevalent amongst gay men, but since those studies also included things like "lesbians are more likely to be active in feminist women groups and maybe that's bad for their children" and some very dodgy data selection (yay 80s to early-mid90s LGBTQ research!) I wasn't so keen on presenting it.

Isn't Tinder also the biggest one for heteros and is also considered to be a hookup app?
Yet again, not necessarily arguing against your overall point.

The big problem is that there is a lack of good data on which to base any assertion. And since over the last five years there has been what I think is the biggest transformation of how we think about sex and relationships since the sexual revolution I just genuinely don't know how people think about relationships.

I tend to prepare a small presentation, which helps the audience follow your lecture. You also won't have to write down the most important points on the board, plus it helps you in case you forget anything.
I also tend to prepare a text, containing everything I am going to say. I wouldn't recommend learning it by heart though, as you derail pretty quickly if you forget something.

I didn't have so much time to fill thus far, but I had about 45 minutes lectures.
I usually have a presentation with me to help myself and the students. IMO it's super important that the presentation won't be full of text / replicate what you're saying, since they'll have to divide their attention all the time.

I like to use my presentation as a sort of anchor, so I use mostly pictures that helps everyone know what's happening and it doesn't distract as much.

As for your text - I write general points in the notes section of power-point. I'm not in favor of remembring everyhing by heart since it's impossible and would probably feel robotic as well. As long as you know your stuff, it's all good. Worst case scenario and you forget something you can always go back to it, or just skip it - no harm done.

Thanks guys, I ended up doing something like this, collecting some key points in bullet form for my use, and then just writing some stuff on the board. I didn't bother to make a presentation, philosophy classes are still kind of behind the times, in that someone either writing stuff and making flowcharts on the board, or just standing at a podium and reading some prepared statement, is pretty much still the standard, lol.

It actually went really well! I was worried about relying on my notes too much and having the lecture just devolve into me reading, but I also really didn't want to have that experience where I get stumped or completely forget my direction, either, but the balance isn't as hard as I thought. It helped that this time I felt a lot more natural addressing a class. I guess it actually does get easier.

edit:
I remember one class about this in college.i think we used something called Mind Mapping though i don't remember much else,something about mental syringes,there was a LOT of theory .

Its actually the only course i failed :S

Edit: also don't forget to tell a small personal story before your presentation if it fits
If you are doing Any kind of presentation no wrong in looking at thisand other articles about a pitch ,may help you

Thanks. I was able to come up with a pretty streamlined path through the material, which mind mapping seems like it would be useful for. Articulating some clear objectives that I had for the presentation really helped constrain my focus, too.

I was able to give a fair bit of my own experience. Thankfully my topic allowed me to do that, but I tried to present it, for the most part, more in hypothetical terms, like a "what might it feel like to have this experience", sort of thing.

tell them to fuck off and read a book

Lol, it was actually kind of fun, I'm really glad I did it. Preparing for it I was sort of getting frustrated, because half of the things I was writing down felt obvious or unnecessary for me to write down. I was a little hesitant to trust my memory, because I've definitely had that experience where you get up in front of a class and the fear of performance makes your mind go blank, but thankfully that didn't happen.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
fondness of the hit TV show Riverdale starring KJ Apa's abs

Hehe.

- - -

One hypothesis I keep in mind on this subject is that people who are actively seeking multiple sexual partners are likely present more often in a more extroverted/social way in social settings frequented by single and social queer men. You'll see them on apps, at bars, etc. and they'll tell you that they're in an open relationship, which reinforces our brain's memories of queer men being in open relationships. With monogamous couples, by definition, they wouldn't be in some of the same social scenes frequented by single people or in those scenes in the same way as people looking for sexual partners.

This is all to say that I wonder if people overestimate the prevalence of open relationships because, as social individuals, people are more likely to bump into those people and learn of their relationship status. This is purely a speculative thing, though; I don't know if people actually overestimate the prevalence of open relationships (and if so, to what degree), or if my behavioral hypothesis would prove to be true in the lives of queer men.

Top Bottom