• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

kuYuri

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in LettersGAF who hasn't seen La La Land.

I have nobody I could go with :(

I didn't even know what La La Land was. I don't watch TV and I don't follow films or film releases closely these days.

I usually have no one to go with either, I ended up watching John Wick Chapter 2 by myself ON VALENTINE'S DAY. D:

Omg I just watched the video of the Oscars best picture mix-up. Ugh that was just too awkward... I cringed so hard I collapsed into myself and formed a black hole.

Didn't see La La Land either. Didn't seem like my kind of movie. Moonlight and most of the Oscar nominated movies didn't come to my theaters.

Kevyt

I haven't watched movies in a long time. I mostly watch whatever is new on Netflix. I don't see the point of going to a movie theater anymore.

Vazduh

Wow that gif ^

I hope everyone in the boat made it out okay...

They did, although the driver got cited for speeding and imprudent operation of the boat.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in LettersGAF who hasn't seen La La Land.

486747830_986447.gif

I haven't watched it either. Moonlight as well, but unlike La La Land, that one is a priority-watch for me.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm patiently waiting for the Netflix release
It's like a couple bucks to rent ya cheap ass.

Anyway...Moonlight was an okay film, I really don't see what was so special about it. The first act was good, the second act was good, the third act just dragged on and nothing happened, and he's a completely different person. We don't even get to see him change at all, it happens outside of the viewers point of view so it is like we don't even know them anymore.

Kevyt

They did, although the driver got cited for speeding and imprudent operation of the boat.

486747830_986447.gif

I haven't watched it either. Moonlight as well, but unlike La La Land, that one is a priority-watch for me.

You always post interesting gifs with interesting back stories.

Anyway...Moonlight was an okay film, I really don't see what was so special about it. The first act was good, the second act was good, the third act just dragged on and nothing happened, and he's a completely different person. We don't even get to see him change at all, it happens outside of the viewers point of view so it is like we don't even know them anymore.

I didn't know it was out for rent.

WaffleTaco

You always post interesting gifs with interesting back stories.

I didn't know it was out for rent.
Oh lol. And it's out on vudu and iTunes for like $5 or $6. Probably red box in a couple week for either $1.50 or $2.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

While I wouldn't be as critical as this, it's good to know that I'm not the only person for whom the third act was a miss (in particular, the scenes
with the other guy
; I thought the scene with
the mom
was fine). It just kind of fell flat for me when the conclusion came, and I lost the emotional connection I'd previously felt. I'd like to rewatch it at some point and see if I feel differently.

Dany

Banned

We did see him change.
At the end of act II where he attacked the bully. He was putting up a front, which is what Black was. He may look different but he is totally 100% the same confused, scared and conflicted man on the inside.

WaffleTaco

While I wouldn't be as critical as this, it's good to know that I'm not the only person for whom the third act was a miss (in particular, the scenes
with the other guy
the mom
was fine). It just kind of fell flat for me when the conclusion came, and I lost the emotional connection I'd previously felt. I'd like to rewatch it and see if I feel differently at some point.

Pretty much the same for me.

We did see him change.
At the end of act II where he attacked the bully. He was putting up a front, which is what Black was. He may look different but he is totally 100% the same confused, scared and conflicted man on the inside.

I disagree though on
on the change in act 2. He snapped, that happens to people who get sick and tired of being pushed around, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. He was still this skinny kid being taken away by the police. Next thing we know he is some guy (selling drugs?) with a gun who is ripped as fuck. He also talks! Act 3 just doesn't work for me.

Dany

Banned
I disagree though on
on the change in act 2. He snapped, that happens to people who get sick and tired of being pushed around, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. He was still this skinny kid being taken away by the police. Next thing we know he is some guy (selling drugs?) with a gun who is ripped as fuck. He also talks! Act 3 just doesn't work for me.

Just because he looks different doesn't me he isn't the same person. Lol.

The third act is the cumulation of everything he's been going through since we've seen his journey and yes he doesn't really change and thats basically the point, He's still the kid from the first act. The two actors of act 1 and 3 even do similar mannerisms which shows how much he is still Chiron at the core. Its not until that last scene where he finally gets to be the person he's been dying to be for so long
and only Kevin has been able to do that for him as we saw in act 2. And he even says Kevin was the only person he's ever had ANY type of intimacy with
. To me thats only a few things make act 3 so powerful
with the other guy
the mom
was fine). It just kind of fell flat for me when the conclusion came, and I lost the emotional connection I'd previously felt. I'd like to rewatch it and see if I feel differently at some point.
I think a rewatch for some people helps. I know someone who saw it twice and had a change or heart. IT seems like people wanted so much more at the end but I think it ended beautifully and appropriate .
especially since in act 2 when chiron and Kevin are at the beach you see them mostly intimate form their backs, but the final scene of the movie you see them in a similar position but facing the camera. It all came full circle.
We did see him change.
Yeah, Im pretty sure Trevante who played Chiron and someone else in the movie said even with all that muscle to physically shield him and fortify him, he's still the little boy from act 1 at heart. And no one talks about Kevin as much like..
Can you imagine how long Kevin has been wanting to get back in contact with Chiron? And then to havee his chance, invite him, and create and plan everything he did for him in that dinner scene, and then that perfect song, like it was the cutest thing, you can tell he's been dying for that moment.
Kevin also had his moment to reclaim himself just as much as Chiron did.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
think a rewatch for some people helps. I know someone who saw it twice and had a change or heart. IT seems like people wanted so much more at the end but I think it ended beautifully and appropriate .
especially since in act 2 when chiron and Kevin are at the beach you see them mostly intimate form their backs, but the final scene of the movie you see them in a similar position but facing the camera. It all came full circle.

I think you described what I was hoping for while first watching it, as well as the kinds of things I hope a rewatch will reveal. IIRC, I didn't enjoy and connect with Brokeback Mountain very much on the first watch either.

I love being worried about the future and the world and absolutely randomly starting to cry while making dinner
Seriously, fuck, I'm terrified.

driggonny

Banned
So I actually went by the LGBT resource center at my college today!

Took me a while of sitting outside to get the nerve up to go into the building. Funnily enough I started getting a cramp while sitting on the bench from trying to maintain good posture and that was ultimately what gave me the jolt to go inside.

It was kind of pointless, though. The hours on their website were wrong so no one was there except the main program coordinator dude. But he was nice enough to show me around the hang-out area and tell me about some upcoming events and clubs. It was an interesting feeling to talk to someone with the underlying implication being that we were both LGBT+ people.

I felt bad for showing up and bothering him over something I could easily look up online. I already knew about the clubs and events but I was hoping there'd be something else to discover from visiting the resource center proper.

Either way it was probably worth it as just another step forward. I would imagine going to the club meetings would be the next thing to do. I've never been good about going to clubs so I don't know how long it'll be before I can really get myself to go. I kinda wish I had a friend to go with me so that I wouldn't feel so awkward but I don't have any LGBT+ friends and I don't think I'd want to bring a straight friend so I'll just have to deal with it somehow.

As a side note, I think that the program coordinator is the only openly gay guy I've ever knowingly talked to. Actually, that's an assumption, but he seemed gay at least. The only other gay guys I've known in my life are high school friends who never told me and ended up coming out later on.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
everyone needs to download Fire Emblem Heroes - kirbyfan introduced me to it and now im hooked~

Woo! I'm glad you're liking it. :) I hope you'll consider trying the mainline games when you get the chance to play one. They're more developed and bigger in every way.

yall ready for h o r i z o n

Do you mean Zelda? :p

I actually really like everything I've seen about Horizon! ...except for the core gameplay, which just isn't my thing. For that reason, I have no plans on playing it, but I hope it does well.

I feel so fuckin shallow because I'm sure I'd really like this dude if he had hair, or wore hats.

Attraction is a fickle thing. It's probably best to accept people as they are, and if that person doesn't work for you, move on.
RIP me. I need to figure out what hats I should wear.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have five fucking gacha games on my phone at this point, including FEH, and I don't even play Fire Emblem games

Play it! I would post my friend code but i dont fucks w/ friend codes tbh~

Woo! I'm glad you're liking it. :) I hope you'll consider trying the mainline games when you get the chance to play one. They're more developed and bigger in every way.

Oh, I will! FEH reminds me a lot of Valkyria Chronicles, which I absolutely adore. Hopefully the mainline games are in that vein too.

RIP me. I need to figure out what hats I should wear.

all the hats!

I always knew Kirby was a bad influence

:p

the worst!

WaffleTaco

Just because he looks different doesn't me he isn't the same person. Lol.
Moonlight spoilers:
But he acts different, he's talking to this kid and acting all tough and joking around with him. It's only until the very end of the third act that his "true" self comes out. I just don't buy it honestly, I mean I guess you can say that's why it's so good. Because only his former and only lover can break down his shell. I just wasn't a fan of it.

The third act is the cumulation of everything he's been going through since we've seen his journey and yes he doesn't really change and thats basically the point, He's still the kid from the first act. The two actors of act 1 and 3 even do similar mannerisms which shows how much he is still Chiron at the core. Its not until that last scene where he finally gets to be the person he's been dying to be for so long
and only Kevin has been able to do that for him as we saw in act 2. And he even says Kevin was the only person he's ever had ANY type of intimacy with
. To me thats only a few things make act 3 so powerful
I really just wasn't a fan of how they did the third act. I guess it was good enough to win Best Picture, but I wanted something more.

B-Dex

I was forced to go to a vegetarian restaurant tonight.

It was actually delicious. Had this amazing beet pate with taro chips and then beer battered Halloumi on a potato zucchini pancake.

Bladenic

I wish Netflix had a stronger, dedicated Classics section on their streaming. Really in the mood for some classic films like Some Like It Hot (your faves could never), All About Eve, A Streetcar Named Desire, and others. I wonder if people still use Netflix's delivery service anymore. I feel like for classic movies your only option is to buy them or watch Turner Classic Movies and hope you can catch whatever you want to see.

Sibylus

Banned
I was forced to go to a vegetarian restaurant tonight.

It was actually delicious. Had this amazing beet pate with taro chips and then beer battered Halloumi on a potato zucchini pancake.

It's the gluten-free dinners that you should skip.

I wish Netflix had a stronger, dedicated Classics section on their streaming. Really in the mood for some classic films like Some Like It Hot (your faves could never), All About Eve, A Streetcar Named Desire, and others. I wonder if people still use Netflix's delivery service anymore. I feel like for classic movies your only option is to buy them or watch Turner Classic Movies and hope you can catch whatever you want to see.

Great list. That's my beef with streaming services, they always end up lacking in some form or another.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

this taste

this flawlessness

i cant

but yes, classic film needs it's own dedicated streaming service because netflix, etc. dont give a shit. FilmStruck has some good stuff, but it's really not what I want it to be (yet).

It's the gluten-free dinners that you should skip.

HOmdg5K.gif

Top Bottom