• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

driggonny

Banned
I had a weird dream last night that I was banned from GAF for one reason or another. Also, some vague memories of making advances on a dude I know to be severely anti-gay and am not even attracted to.

Suffice it to say it was a nightmare D:

mantidor

So I survived Rio's carnival mostly unscathed, and with all my belongings, that's a first!

I can't wait for the Switch, but here is probably really hard to find and very expensive.

RM8

I look forward to Thursdays because I teach English to this super handsome, funny, charming guy, and today he was as handsome, funny, and charming as ever :] Today's lesson was about things you like and dislike about people, and he told me "I like funny, good looking people like you :)" without knowing that made my night, lol. I want a gay version of this guy ;( *Goes back to Tinder*

I look forward to Thursdays because I teach English to this super handsome, funny, charming guy, and today he was as handsome, funny, and charming as ever :] Today's lesson was about things you like and dislike about people, and he told me "I like funny, good looking people like you :)" without knowing that made my night, lol. I want a gay version of this guy ;( *Goes back to Tinder*

teach him the way of the gay

I had a weird dream last night that I was banned from GAF for one reason or another. Also, some vague memories of making advances on a dude I know to be severely anti-gay and am not even attracted to.

Suffice it to say it was a nightmare D:

lol I had a dream about GAF as well 😂 I dreamt that I got a Tag that said "buy applause on iTunes"

Mess

Beth Cyra

Little Mons†er;231341635 said:
lol I had a dream about GAF as well 😂 I dreamt that I got a Tag that said "buy applause on iTunes"

Mess

Wait do you like Applause? If so my wife would love you.

Its her favorite song of all time.....so I of course found a cover she loathes and I play it all the time around her :)

Bladenic

Zelda getting 98% meta 💀

Nier Automata above 90 so far 💀

Japan ain't fucking around anymore 💀💀

Beth Cyra

Zelda getting 98% meta 💀

Dont care about the Nier franchise, but I want this one due to Platinum.

I just wish I liked the look of Zelda but ugh that art style is just not to my liking.

Glad to see such awesome reviews for them though.

Berordn

Zelda getting 98% meta 💀

Nier had to go and get released the same time as the Switch, the bastards.

Just hoping I'll have enough money when Target's B2G1 hits.

Alrus

At least BOTW's release timing means that Nier's PC delay will be a non-issue.

Yep, hopefully by the time it comes out on Steam I'll have finished (or accomplished enough) Zelda. Still kinda miffed at Square Enix being so coy about the PC release, it's like they want the game to sell badly on the platform.

HuffPo: The Epidemic of Gay Lonliness

This article echoes so much of what I have felt in the gay community. Interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

The article doesn't posit any reasons why things are like this, only that gay men tend to have fewer close relationships than straight men/women + gay women.

I can hazard a few guesses as to why.

edit: Whoops there's more of the article. I didnt see the scroll bar.

edit2: Wow what a read. Fuck...

This article echoes so much of what I have felt in the gay community. Interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

I can relate to these

”primed to expect rejection." We're constantly scanning social situations for ways we may not fit into them. We struggle to assert ourselves. We replay our social failures on a loop.

The term researchers use to explain this phenomenon is ”minority stress." In its most direct form, it's pretty simple: Being a member of a marginalized group requires extra effort. When you're the only woman at a business meeting, or the only black guy in your college dorm, you have to think on a level that members of the majority don't. If you stand up to your boss, or fail to, are you playing into stereotypes of women in the workplace? If you don't ace a test, will people think it's because of your race? Even if you don't experience overt stigma, considering these possibilities takes its toll over time.

It fucking sucks and it doesn't help I have experienced racism in school by so called authority figures and by gay men. I don't like to socialize as much as I used to because of it. I keep to myself most of the time.

It's a damn good read even if it's depressing.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Oof. I'm on mobile, so I won't post my full thoughts, but thank you so much for sharing this. In some ways, these experiences are foreign to me, and in others, they're very relatable. One line made me almost get emotional and stop reading for a bit. That was a good read. Thank you.

JCX

Glad this is resonating with so many of yall. I would be interested to hear specifics on what you did and did not relate to. Some of the ones that hit me hard

In interviews that Elder, the post-traumatic stress researcher, conducted with gay men in 2015, he found that 90 percent said they wanted a partner who was tall, young, white, muscular and masculine. For the vast majority of us who barely meet one of those criteria, much less all five, the hookup apps merely provide an efficient way to feel ugly.

As a short, fat, non-masc, black gay, this sounds pretty accurate to my experience.

It’s worse for gay men of color. Vincent, who runs counseling sessions with black and Latino men through the San Francisco Department of Public Health, says the apps give racial minorities two forms of feedback: Rejected (“Sorry, I’m not into black guys”) and fetishized (“Hi, I’m really into black guys.”) Paihan, a Taiwanese immigrant in Seattle, shows me his Grindr inbox. It is, like mine, mostly hellos he has sent out to no reply. One of the few messages he received just says, “Asiiiaaaan.”

I basically have 2 stand up jokes about both forms of black rejection on apps!

In the last 10 years, traditional gay spaces—bars, nightclubs, bathhouses—have begun to disappear, and have been replaced by social media. At least 70 percent of gay men now use hookup apps like Grindr and Scruff to meet each other. In 2000, around 20 percent of gay couples met online. By 2010, that was up to 70 percent. Meanwhile, the share of gay couples who met through friends dropped from 30 percent to 12 percent.

Feel like I have to say this every time people say "oh just don't use apps". They are a nigh necessity for gays who don't live in major cities, but even the major cities have their drawbacks:

For other minority groups, living in a community with people like them is linked to lower rates of anxiety and depression. It helps to be close to people who instinctively understand you. But for us, the effect is the opposite. Several studies have found that living in gay neighborhoods predicts higher rates of risky sex and meth use and less time spent on other community activities like volunteering or playing sports. A 2009 study suggested that gay men who were more linked to the gay community were less satisfied with their own romantic relationships.

Yep, in-group rejection stings the most, since it attacks the core of your self. Also explains the nigh universal disdain for "gay community" by gay people.

Glad this is resonating with so many of yall. I would be interested to hear specifics on what you did and did not relate to. Some of the ones that hit me hard

As a short, fat, non-masc, black gay, this sounds pretty accurate to my experience.

Feel like I have to say this every time people say "oh just don't use apps". They are a nigh necessity for gays who don't live in major cities, but even the major cities have their drawbacks:

Yep, in-group rejection stings the most, since it attacks the core of your self. Also explains the nigh universal disdain for "gay community" by gay people.

> fat

Please.

Astral Dog

Damn :'(
So true its not even about kids or marriage but basic human acceptance,from others and from yourself wich is still so lacking,no matter where you are you will always feel fear of being seen as weird and lesser ,combine that with a somewhat toxic community made of outcasts,typical masculinity/sexist views and no wonder psychological issues are so prevalent.

The femmephobia specially has to stop now i can't believe we can treat each other like this.already bad enough in a shitheaded society.

driggonny

Banned

;_;
Even I can relate to some of this... Especially about being self-critical, in the closet and shrugged off by uncaring adults.

Edit: Also mental health issues because of it. I've never told anyone about it, but I used to cut myself as a misguided means to distract myself from the overwhelming stress I felt while I was confused about my sexuality. It used to give me so much anxiety that literally I couldn't stand it. Thankfully, my sexuality doesn't really stress me out nearly as much these days, but that anxious feeling can still crop up on occasion. People really shouldn't be so stressed at that age.

Sai-kun

Banned

damn, what a fucking read. thanks for posting this. i feel like i have some quotes that really resonate with me but i'm at work so i can't spend too much time posting them haha.

the bit about expecting rejection or fetishization, as a bi dude of color, really hit home for me.

Wait do you like Applause? If so my wife would love you.

Its her favorite song of all time.....so I of course found a cover she loathes and I play it all the time around her :)

Gurl my Stan card for Gaga during the Applause era was intense 😂 It's one of my fave songs of all time ngl.
I love your wife already lol

Kevyt

I think the beginning of the article talking about addictions because of boredom and loneliness is super interesting.

driggonny

Banned
I'm pretty sure I just got conned out of a few bucks by some random guy who showed up at my door supposedly selling children's books.

But he was so nice I couldn't help it! >.<

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lorde really came with her new song didn't she?

Nope. The production is weak and generic, the song feels like 2 songs poorly mashed together and the lyrics compared to previous work is on basic levels of song writing to the point its up there with Katy Perry on levels of basic.

Beth Cyra

Little Mons†er;231374361 said:
Gurl my Stan card for Gaga during the Applause era was intense &#128514; It's one of my fave songs of all time ngl.
I love your wife already lol
You and her would be besties lol.

I swear if it comes on and I tried to change it she would straight cut a bitch...namely this bitch lol.

So to say my house was Perry VS Gaga for a time would be an understatement.

Alrus

Lol great prediction ;)

Man I can't believe there hasn't been a single "insane fanboys throwing a fit" review yet. People are yelling about whether the game will be "just" amazing or if it will influence game design in the future (I doubt it). Can't wait for tomorrow (these reviewer better be right, I bought a Switch solely for this game, otherwise I would have waited until christmas)

At least I got this dumb gif out of the thread : made chuckle a bit even tho I'll probably buy a PS4 and Horizon later this year.
5a8a6c01637cbd5242b760900ad5afb2721a86030c5722f818d1cfea3bc6564e.gif

Although the more realistic one would have Nier instead of Horizon.

Nope. The production is weak and generic, the song feels like 2 songs poorly mashed together and the lyrics compared to previous work is on basic levels of song writing to the point its up there with Katy Perry on levels of basic.

I second this 100%. Thought it would grow on me after a few listens but no, that weird transition to the chorus is way too jarring.

mantidor

Was the guy you were with positive or were you just not careful enough? Whatever it is, hope the results come out negative.

I didn't use a condom like an idiot, because the guy insisted, it was rather quick but still... I'm in the 72 hour window so they told I'm going into PEP anyway regardless of the results.

It's 15 minutes no? :p

Yeah but it's been half an hour D:

Top Bottom