• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Still completely confused over what happened in the last page. RIP
Honestly, it's a personal issue between him and me that he seems to want to make public. From what I can gather (from not being allowed in the new LGBT chat and some messages from friends) he's spread our personal issues to the other venues and seems to want to do so here as well. I obviously don't wish to do so -- not because I'm too ashamed of anything (although I was certainly not perfect,) but because this is not the place.

If any mutual acquaintances want to talk and maybe hear my side of the story, then they can message me. Otherwise, I'd like to keep this space as drama-free as possible.

The pushback (at least on my part) is because many non-binary or questioning people choose and ask people to call them they/them/their so to say it is definitively incorrect and "ugh" seems like it is discounting a popular choice (even if you weren't doing so out of disrespect for someone's ability to express their gender on their own terms).
. . .
They/them/their is a legitimate choice as far as most in the community are concerned, to my knowledge

No it isn't. Descriptivists and Standard American English grammar school books don't determine English grammar.

I wish people who "love" language would actually bother to study linguistics.

I'm dragging this up again because I was busy with a French final, but ya'll may have noticed that I said it was subjective because I was acknowledging (and not shying away from) the debate over it in recent centuries.

And you're getting pushback because you're being pedantic against uses of the language that are long established (style guides can, do, and will argue against such things) and that actually empower some people. I'm not going to insist on being a pedant and dictate to NB people or women that they must use a generic he (this is the corollary to not calling someone by they/them who doesn't wish for that). Use defines language, and you can argue about what ought to be employed, but slavish adherence to syntax and style declarations is to throw your mind into the sea. Adverbs are railed against in style guides too, but that's not to say they're absolutely proscribed.

You can clutch your pearls about what's proper. Me, I'll stick to what's effective and what works.

I'm okay with talking about it. But I just want it to be clear that we don't need to try to characterize each other with things like "I wish people who 'love' language would actually bother to study linguistics" and "You can clutch your pearls about what's proper." It's just not necessary.

Anyway, obviously at some point language is a fluid thing. It grows and evolves over time, and some uses morph into others. I'm okay with this. But I do believe there is a limit. At its core, language is a distinct pattern of symbols arranged in a certain way to convey thoughts to another person. It has to adhere to certain rules, otherwise the whole system collapses in on itself. So some strict use of syntax and grammar are necessary.

The reason I picked "they/them" was that Emouse originally stated:

they/them just makes me feel like I'm not even a person ugh

I was sympathizing with this. However, in doing so I inadvertently seem to have stepped on some toes, so let me be clear: I was not aware that questioning or other queer people use "they" as a chosen pronoun. As I previously stated, people should be called by whatever pronoun they wish, and I in no way meant to demean anyone by calling their pronoun of choice "grammatically incorrect." That was my bad.

I guess ideally I'd be in favour of creating a new genderless pronoun akin to what the Japanese practice. But it's obviously not up to me to dictate to a group of people what they should and should not do re: how they wish to be represented.

Sibylus

Banned
Language only collapses in on itself at the point that the message is no longer communicable. Singular they is far from that point. The language is safe.

e: And it goes without saying emouse should be treated according to his/her wishes. I won't make a grammatical argument for or against that.

Language only collapses in on itself at the point that the message is no longer communicable. Singular they is far from that point. The language is safe.

e: And it goes without saying emouse should be treated according to his/her wishes. I won't make a grammatical argument for or against that.

I think we actually agree at this point. But yes, it'll be fine. But I'd like to keep it legible before it gets needlessly confusing. Like I said, I think we should institute a genderless pronoun to avoid these issues.

And I actually really don't care about day-to-day use and how "correct" it is. I'm really quite lax! Like I said, the only reason I'd chosen to be pedantic about "they/them" in this case was that Emouse was uncomfortable with it. I was trying to be supportive, but unintentionally offended some in the process. That was never my intent.

Sibylus

Banned
I'd be for a standardized gender neutral pronoun, but tfw you have too many to choose from. I'm kinda partial to zhe/zhey (that's an s in treasure/pleasure sound), it sounds like it occupies a close/intermediate/neither space to what we have without being super difficult to remember.

I'd be for a standardized gender neutral pronoun, but tfw you have too many to choose from. I'm kinda partial to zhe/zhey (that's an s in treasure/pleasure sound), it sounds like it occupies a close/intermediate/neither space to what we have without being super difficult to remember.

I think that sounds pretty good to me. It'd take a while to become the norm, but probably less so now than in the past.

Also, I learned something today. So thanks, all! :)

LettersGAF having a better plot with actual drama than FFXV. When will Tabata

Honestly, I've often thought that I will be able to write a good novel with parts loosely based on the whole ordeal. Always good to look on the bright side! XD

Hey it's being patched in. Be patient.

Fucking hysterical to me that a game with that long a development time still isn't done, despite being out already.

I haven't heard about this. What's up with it?

_Isaac

Fucking hysterical to me that a game with that long a development time still isn't done, despite being out already.
It's insane. Now I don't know if I should continue or wait until they finish the game. If I choose to do the latter that's pretty messed up because the game is going to be cheaper by the time theyre done. We paid more money for an unfinished game. We're rewarding them for this behavior. >_>

I haven't heard about this. What's up with it?

There is a significant issue with balancing in a certain late game chapter, which is a bad, but not super story worthy patch.

But they ALSO plan to patch in additional playable characters, additional story content, additional dialogue, additional late and early game content, and MULTIPLAYER.

It's insane. Now I don't know if I should continue or wait until they finish the game. If I choose to do the latter that's pretty messed up because the game is going to be cheaper by the time theyre done. We paid more money for an unfinished game. We're rewarding them for this behavior. >_>

I mean you already bought it and are playing it, just finish it and regret your choice to buy day 1 like I did with ME3 lol.

Sibylus

Banned
Write what you know is a time-honored adage for a reason. Lots of authors give pieces of themselves to every character they write (and I certainly number myself one).

There is a significant issue with balancing in a certain late game chapter, which is a bad, but not super story worthy patch.

But they ALSO plan to patch in additional playable characters, additional story content, additional dialogue, additional late and early game content, and MULTIPLAYER.

That's crazy. I understand a balance patch, but adding all of that stuff in will just make people who are playing it now feel like they aren't getting the "full" experience -- which is exactly what you guys are saying. That sucks.

Write what you know is a time-honored adage for a reason. Lots of authors give pieces of themselves to every character they write (and I certainly number myself one).

Yup, exactly. I really do need to start writing in earnest when school is done.

_Isaac

I mean you already bought it and are playing it, just finish it and regret your choice to buy day 1 like I did with ME3 lol.

Yep, and I never buy games day one (except for certain Nintendo games). This was was a weird situation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I do. I'm not your typical gay. Although I do like a nice set of pecs.

love your fellow gays

I hope James Marsden gets naked cuz he's always been cute as fuck.

he does, but only like once and I think you only see side butt

there is HELLA dicks from the extras though

the show's approach to nudity sort of teeters between eye rollingly gratuitous and refreshingly matter of fact

Also it's hard to say without spoilers but Luna's entire role is being a subservient slave to her man who she actually never met as an adult.

I'm a Slave 4 U is a masterpiece

BZugWAr.gif

I think we actually agree at this point. But yes, it'll be fine. But I'd like to keep it legible before it gets needlessly confusing. Like I said, I think we should institute a genderless pronoun to avoid these issues.

And I actually really don't care about day-to-day use and how "correct" it is. I'm really quite lax! Like I said, the only reason I'd chosen to be pedantic about "they/them" in this case was that Emouse was uncomfortable with it. I was trying to be supportive, but unintentionally offended some in the process. That was never my intent.

That isn't how language works. Governments and schools don't dictate real everyday usage. You can't throw a dart at the wall and have people choose your magic pronoun.

Mind if I ask you how you consider any modern English correct considering how different it is from Old English? Because you no doubt had grammarians back then fighting against natural language change.

Not to mention that a lot of what people find "acceptable" when they are being "lax" is often classist or racist. People shitting on "I seen it with my own eyes" because Appalachian English is associated with poor whites, or people shitting on nearly every feature of AAVE (like double negatives) because of its association with blacks.

Pyrokai

Well let me take advantage and ask a question!

What do you guys do after you tell someone you like them but they don't reciprocate those feelings outside of remaining friends?

Like, he clearly thought of me as a good friend, then I told him I like him, so now I'm wondering if it's weird for him.

I probably jumped the gun. The more I think about it, the more I think this will just be a fleeting crush, anyway.

Sai-kun

Banned
Treat them like a normal person because they aren't into you and you'll ruin your friendship if you can't act like someone normal

also can't believe ffxv is getting a stupid story patch. the life of pablo teas. also can't believe "being able to make text bigger" is something they're working on even later than story tuning. sobs

Kevyt

Well let me take advantage and ask a question!

What do you guys do after you tell someone you like them but they don't reciprocate those feelings outside of remaining friends?

Like, he clearly thought of me as a good friend, then I told him I like him, so now I'm wondering if it's weird for him.

I probably jumped the gun. The more I think about it, the more I think this will just be a fleeting crush, anyway.

Just don't be one of those guys...

Do you legitimately like that person as a friend or only because you had other intentions (dating)? If so, then nothing should really change, you asked a question and got an answer.

I hate it when someone asks you that question and when you said no, they start acting different and almost like avoiding you. It's like we were really good friends before, and now complete strangers. I find that annoying to be frank.

Best of luck!

Edit: wait, I remember you from somewhere... I think I saw your posts in the Android thread??

Pyrokai

Just don't be one of those guys...

Do you legitimately like that person as a friend or only because you had other intentions (dating)? If so, then nothing should really change, you asked a question and got an answer.

I hate it when someone asks you that question and when you said no, they start acting different and almost like avoiding you. It's like we were really good friends before, and now complete strangers. I find that annoying to be frank.

Best of luck!

Oh my goodness, I would never do that! I have been friends with him for a while and I even asked if this changes anything for him, and he said no. We're texting as per usual and stuff! I'm just not sure what's actually going through his head, you know?

You sorta answered my question, though! I'm hoping most people would want to keep someone around, even if they like/liked them.

Pyrokai

Edit: wait, I remember you from somewhere... I think I saw your posts in the Android thread??

Haha, maybe? I don't go there very much, but I usually do when I'm looking for a new phone or excited about my own or have a problem, so I drop by occasionally. I'm impressed you know me from there considering how rarely I post in it. I find it hard to remember people on GAF, tbh. I associate avatars more than names lol.

Pyrokai

Treat them like a normal person because they aren't into you and you'll ruin your friendship if you can't act like someone normals

Ack! I missed this reply! You guys have both basically answered my question, I think. I'm doing all the right things. Why would anyone start acting weird and abnormal and/or cut them off after you tell them that? I haven't had enough experience with this, lol, but apparently this is a thing.

I say rude!

KmA

LettersGAF having a better plot with actual drama than FFXV. When will Tabata

lfalheirgilaejfil;waeilhgaelgj why is this so funny.

I really want to play FFXV but... she (I) have no money. I hope I get a sugar daddy before persona 5 comes out

Beefy

Lol latest Tinder match chat for a bit and he seems nice then I get "If you want to meet you will have to pay for my Taxi"

Fuck off haha

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
lfalheirgilaejfil;waeilhgaelgj why is this so funny.

I really want to play FFXV but... she (I) have no money. I hope I get a sugar daddy before persona 5 comes out
I need a sugar daddy to hook me with Tales of Berseria , Tekken 7, Nier Automata, Nintendo Switch and some Switch games RIP

Kevyt

Oh my goodness, I would never do that! I have been friends with him for a while and I even asked if this changes anything for him, and he said no. We're texting as per usual and stuff! I'm just not sure what's actually going through his head, you know?

You sorta answered my question, though! I'm hoping most people would want to keep someone around, even if they like/liked them.

That's good! Then I guess the awkward part is over then.

Haha, maybe? I don't go there very much, but I usually do when I'm looking for a new phone or excited about my own or have a problem, so I drop by occasionally. I'm impressed you know me from there considering how rarely I post in it. I find it hard to remember people on GAF, tbh. I associate avatars more than names lol.

I don't either but that's why I looked at your avatar and then your name and remembered it from somewhere else. I'm like "oh it's that annoying dude!"

Jk :p

But yeah, I've seen you post somewhere else before 🤔

Lol latest Tinder match chat for a bit and he seems nice then I get "If you want to meet you will have to pay for my Taxi"

Fuck off haha

Uber?

Pyrokai

I just sorta recently realized I'm looking old. How can I rejuvenate my skin?!

My be my subconscious.....After all, I am turning 29 tomorrow ...ahhh!!!!

But for real, I have no idea how to do proper facial skin care and I think it's catching up to me a little bit. My skin doesn't look too hot these days. Pale, dry af, and a little ....worn? lol

Semen is a great facial moisturizer btw, as well as anti oxidant

don't listen to this. pee works better because of the acidic nature of your urine and it not only helps break down dead skin it also has a fast skin adsorbing agent that is 3x more potent than any Vitamin C Serum out in the market Urine will break down, restore and rebuild your skin to the flawless and youthful age of 22.

Kevyt

Reminder that you can always complain to your parents about having bad genes.

I always give my mom a hard time with that. She had boyfriends that were so much better looking than my father and she ended up going for my father.... Like wtf mom... I:

I could have been beautiful but my mom had to choose him instead.

I always give my mom a hard time with that. She had boyfriends that were so much better looking than my father and she ended up going for my father.... Like wtf mom... I:

But it wouldn't have been you!

Not implying I agree you're not beautiful of course.

just go to Worst korea and get yourself a head to toe reconstruction for the cheap deals.

I just sorta recently realized I'm looking old. How can I rejuvenate my skin?!

My be my subconscious.....After all, I am turning 29 tomorrow ...ahhh!!!!

But for real, I have no idea how to do proper facial skin care and I think it's catching up to me a little bit. My skin doesn't look too hot these days. Pale, dry af, and a little ....worn? lol

For what it is worth I didnt think you looked old when i saw you a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom