• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Kater

Banned
I actually do have plans for tonight, surprisingly. I'll go to a work colleague's party at his flat, already bought a bottle of Vodka for that. 😸

Also

tumblr_oivebrjtYl1qfcf9qo1_540.png

Chuck Tingle is still the best haha

I actually thought Arnold was pretty cute, although he is no Geoffrey or Patrick.

I legit loathe Arnold as a character. The worst thing about the show and actively ruins many scenes IMO

I like Arnold a lot. It's honestly a toss-up for me between him and Geoffrey. The thing with Arnold is that he's very fragile and is in a really tough spot mentally. He grew up in a family that clearly abused him, so he's hesitant to trust anyone. So of course he comes across like a dick a lot of the time. And I don't begrudge anyone for feeling that way. The guy I saw yesterday (two days ago? It's the AM here) hates Arnold, especially when he
spits during the Christmas meal.
But I guess you just have to be able to distinguish what is him and what is his mental illness, you know?

You can see how much he adores Josh in the way he talks to him and opens up to him in a way he doesn't seem to with anyone else. I can tell you from experience that it's a very difficult subject to discuss, especially with someone as blunt as Josh. It's also shown how considerate and loving he can be when he
makes that lighted alley area for their first time.
To be able to do all that for him and have the courage to show it to Josh is really admirable.

So I totally get why some people would be turned off by Arnold. I suppose because I have so much personal experience with similar issues, I have a fondness and profound respect for people dealing with them -- especially when they're as crippling as his are. It takes a tremendous amount of strength to be the one dealing with them -- and to be with or around someone going through that.

Also

tumblr_oivebrjtYl1qfcf9qo1_540.png

Chuck Tingle is still the best haha

My lawyers are contacting Mr. Tingle as we speak. Why he thought he could write an unauthorized biography of my year is beyond me. But I shall protect my intellectual property ferociously.

RAWR!

When they don't get the message.
Just testing a GIF, never actually posted one online that I've made.

Want it to be tomorrow, want to hug the ol' boyfriend. We are making Portobello and chicken for dinner :D.

I finished Yuri on Ice, watching episodes 9 to 12 in one go. A season 2, to be interesting, would need to be willing to develop male relationships more instead of staying on this level...but I don't know that they would.

Ice skating started off having impressive animation but it just became repetitive.

Hi everyone. I haven't really posted here before but I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I've been living with my partner for almost 3 years now and we've been together for 3 and a half. My parents do not know that I am gay, although they have met my partner multiple times as he came home with me for the summer holidays once and for the Christmas holidays the year after. My mum is religious but she is (or was?) pro choice, and she has held the opinion that myself and my sister should choose our religions for ourselves. My dad isn't really all that religious.

So anyway, im graduating in June and I've decided that once I have graduated I want to stay with my partner and we'll either remain where we are and find jobs or move somewhere together. I want to be able to enjoy my graduation day fully, and be open with my boyfriend on the day. I also want to be able to explain why, after graduating, I want to stay with my "flat mate" which might be hard to explain. I'm tired of lying to my parents as well - about my location, about what I'm up to on any given day, etc. So I'm planning on coming out to my mother when she visits in January. She'll be staying with myself and my partner in the extra room in our flat.

Does anyone have any tips for coming out? What did you do, say? How did it go? I would appreciate any info/stories just to give me some idea of what to expect. I know it's different for everyone but I really don't even know where to start.

Edit: I should probably mention that I am currently in university so I am financially dependent on my parents as they wanted me to be able to focus on studies rather than taking up a part time job or getting a student loan. However I won't be dependent after July, and I think even worst case scenario they would not stop supporting me for the last few months of my uni course.

Zero²

The love of my vida lives in Brazil rip

Who's doing fun shit for NYE? I'm going to Nashville again yas but now I have a friend that lives there so worrying about hotel and spending extra money.
I'm the love of your life? No wayyyy 😲
I'm prob getting drunk as hell and watch the fireworks, no party for mw this year I guess :p

dbztrk

I heard NYC is a pretty lame city to celebrate NYE. Not a lot usually happens. Times Square is desolate.

I went to Times Square once and I wanted to murder someone. I will never do that again. I don't want to wander around looking for shit to do either. Just seeing if anyone knew of anything that they thought would be fun.

OrionX

Does anyone have any tips for coming out? What did you do, say? How did it go? I would appreciate any info/stories just to give me some idea of what to expect. I know it's different for everyone but I really don't even know where to start.

Well, I'm not saying this is the recommended way, but most of my coming out speeches started something like this:

"I have something to tell you... so... *long, awkward pause* basically I've been keeping a secret for a really long time... *longer awkward pause* I was afraid to tell anyone, because I didn't want to be judged and was afraid of how they would react, so I thought it was best to just hide it... but it's been eating me up inside. *longest awkward pause that ever existed* I'm gay."

My mom was just really emotional and worried about me. I think she just felt guilty for never realizing. I knew she wouldn't care. Really the only reason I took so long to tell her was just because I didn't want her to feel like she had to keep my secret from other family members. My dad was different, as I knew it would be. He's a rather intimidating person, and was raised Catholic, though my upbringing wasn't very religious. He hugged me, said he loved me and that he would die for me, which was all great, but then he basically said he thinks it's wrong. I think he might actually think I'm gay because I didn't go to church enough... When I said it's just who I am and that I didn't ask to be this way, he said he didn't ask for it either... :(

The cousins I told took it great. It's funny how you can work something up in your head as this big, dramatic, earth-shattering moment, then sometimes it ends up being not much of a big deal at all. When it goes right it's a huge relief. Of course, when it goes wrong it feels like a confirmation that you were right to stay hidden.

I always rationalized keeping it a secret by saying "well I'm not with anyone so what's the point in risking it?" I knew if I was in a relationship I wouldn't be able to keep it from people close to me, since I'm a terrible liar, so I thought I would wait until someone came along and changed my perspective. It took me too long to realize that it's hard to meet someone when you're hiding from yourself. That's kind of my whole problem really. Most of my life I've spent waiting for things to happen rather than taking control myself... Anyway, I should stop before this turns into an essay about my life choices. lol

This probably wasn't all that helpful, but I thought I'd share. I know this isn't necessarily true for everyone, but if your family really loves you, that's probably not going to change. And at least you've got a boyfriend to comfort you if things don't go great! :p

I suggest being matter-of-fact, not dramatic. Maybe waiting for a reference to a future wife or asking if you have a girlfriend will make it easier than bringing it up entirely yourself. But not if it delays things too much.

Astral Dog

Hi everyone. I haven't really posted here before but I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I've been living with my partner for almost 3 years now and we've been together for 3 and a half. My parents do not know that I am gay, although they have met my partner multiple times as he came home with me for the summer holidays once and for the Christmas holidays the year after. My mum is religious but she is (or was?) pro choice, and she has held the opinion that myself and my sister should choose our religions for ourselves. My dad isn't really all that religious.

So anyway, im graduating in June and I've decided that once I have graduated I want to stay with my partner and we'll either remain where we are and find jobs or move somewhere together. I want to be able to enjoy my graduation day fully, and be open with my boyfriend on the day. I also want to be able to explain why, after graduating, I want to stay with my "flat mate" which might be hard to explain. I'm tired of lying to my parents as well - about my location, about what I'm up to on any given day, etc. So I'm planning on coming out to my mother when she visits in January. She'll be staying with myself and my partner in the extra room in our flat.

Edit: I should probably mention that I am currently in university so I am financially dependent on my parents as they wanted me to be able to focus on studies rather than taking up a part time job or getting a student loan. However I won't be dependent after July, and I think even worst case scenario they would not stop supporting me for the last few months of my uni course.
I think the most important is that you have to be strong and calm,tell them with security.

Thats important because if they give a negative reaction,you cant back off it doesn't lead anywhere.:/

Thats the best i can say,and true,much more difficult when you are dependant financially and emotionally on them.

But everything will be ok,you wont regret telling them :)

Kater

Banned
Springing it on people worked well enough for me, no planning required. I was tipsy in some cases though which helped me overcome whatever fears I had. Other times I just blurted it out, more or less. That worked too.

Hoping for the best for you and your plans though. And if things go bad, you have your boyfriend and maybe other people who should have your back.

Springing it on people worked well enough for me, no planning required. I was tipsy in some cases though which helped me overcome whatever fears I had. Other times I just blurted it out, more or less. That worked too.

Hoping for the best for you and your plans though. And if things go bad, you have your boyfriend and maybe other people who should have your back.
Im really lucky in that I'm already out to literally all of my friends - even my sister - just not my parents. My boyfriend thinks they might have an inkling just because our behaviour is not really typical of just friends (he stayed with me for 7 weeks over summer and then 3 for Christmas) and most of that time we wanted to spend alone. But still. :p
I think the most important is that you have to be strong and calm,tell them with security.

Thats important because if they give a negative reaction,you cant back off it doesn't lead anywhere.:/

Thats the best i can say,and true,much more difficult when you are dependant financially and emotionally on them.

But everything will be ok,you wont regret telling them :)
Thank you for the advice :) I think it's time, I just want to get it off my chest. They're the only people left to tell.
I suggest being matter-of-fact, not dramatic. Maybe waiting for a reference to a future wife or asking if you have a girlfriend will make it easier than bringing it up entirely yourself. But not if it delays things too much.
Thanks for this, I will consider it. I don't want to be overwrought or dramatic, I just want it done :p
I always rationalized keeping it a secret by saying "well I'm not with anyone so what's the point in risking it?" I knew if I was in a relationship I wouldn't be able to keep it from people close to me, since I'm a terrible liar, so I thought I would wait until someone came along and changed my perspective. It took me too long to realize that it's hard to meet someone when you're hiding from yourself. That's kind of my whole problem really. Most of my life I've spent waiting for things to happen rather than taking control myself... Anyway, I should stop before this turns into an essay about my life choices. lol

This probably wasn't all that helpful, but I thought I'd share. I know this isn't necessarily true for everyone, but if your family really loves you, that's probably not going to change. And at least you've got a boyfriend to comfort you if things don't go great! :p
It was very helpful, thank you. It definitely is true though that being more open will help you find other people :p when I moved away from home to university I made no secret of my sexuality and straight up decided just to not be friends with anyone who didn't vibe with that. :)
Also fuck Trump
Agreed :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NYE plans are: watch Miyazaki movies and snack with fam. I'm living the life.

Literally, same. There are two Miyazaki movies that I've yet to watch - The Castle of Cagliostro and The Wind Rises (his very first and very last!). I've been putting them off because I don't want to live in a world where there are no more new-to-me Miyazaki films, but with the recent rumors of him coming out of retirement to make another movie, I felt like now was a good time to finally jump in. (and what better way to start the New Year tbh)

Also, bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with (lactose free) cream cheese :D

Sibylus

Banned
Literally, same. There are two Miyazaki movies that I've yet to watch - The Castle of Cagliostro and The Wind Rises (his very first and very last!). I've been putting them off because I don't want to live in a world where there are no more new-to-me Miyazaki films, but with the recent rumors of him coming out of retirement to make another movie, I felt like now was a good time to finally jump in. (and what better way to start the New Year tbh)

Also, bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with (lactose free) cream cheese :D

I watched The Wind Rises but haven't seen the other... thought Wind Rises was kind've a dip in quality tbh. The subject matter did not lend itself well to a Miyazaki film, but a series/miniseries would have been better.

Those jalapenos sound excellent!

T.O.P

Banned
Happy new year gaygaf, best of luck for this 2017

As for me, I'm drunk af and I just blocked R49 on every existing platform, since going on Grindr and posting shit on FB for the entire night was more important than the most basic text for me

Fuck off you piece of shit

Delio

Yay got some bubbly. Just going to chill out and watch this simpsons marathon. Also hurray people already shooting over here lol.

B-Dex

Who wants to pop their champagne bottle in my mouth. You know what I mean? 🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾💁🏼

Astral Dog

Happy birthday fellas :•D
Happy new year gaygaf, best of luck for this 2017

As for me, I'm drunk af and I just blocked R49 on every existing platform, since going on Grindr and posting shit on FB for the entire night was more important than the most basic text for me

Fuck off you piece of shit
is that the one you were dating a lot? 8m Sorry

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Happy New Year. May this year bring lots of positivity for all of ya and enjoy getting drunk tonight guys!
200.gif

Kater

Banned
Happy New Year, peeps.

I already got home from the party I was at. Fireworks looked nice in my district, couldn't tell for the rest of the city since the fog was in the way. Kinda annoying.

B-Dex

I still have about 2 hours of 2016 left. At least I get to watch Mariah again. 🥂🍾🍷🥃🍶

Top Bottom