• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

I'm more envious of people who can do roundoffs than people who can do flips.

I can't for the life of me get my feet to join midair before landing. T-T

driggonny

Banned
Welcome! We have some overlap in our favorite franchises and music. I wish I were a better visual artist, so I'm jealous of your studies and hobby. Do you have a favorite soundtrack?

Ah, it's so hard to choose! :3 I'm particularly fond of the Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze soundtrack, so maybe that... but I also really like a lot of the soundtracks from the series I listed and there are so many others as well ;_;

ilikeme

Ok not to make everything about me but I'm really proud of myself and I've literally been posting this everywhere lmao

tumblr_okkrcyp6t31t032ygo1_400.gif

Everything should be about you because that is really cool and you should be proud! I tried to learn the backflip last spring and I almost got there.. and then I stopped. :( Really should get to practicing again. Acrobatics are a blast! :D

berzeli

Banned
Ok, so I did hint at posting something more serious than just bad puns, I've had this article saved for a while but never got around to posting it.

North Korea's only openly gay defector: 'it's a weird life'

7MpXvA5.jpg
By North Korean standards Jang Yeong-jin had a normal start in life: he joined the military at 19, completed 10 years of national service and married soon after.

But trapped in his country, which he has called ”one huge prison without bars", problems with his marriage led him to defect to South Korea.

It was only when he crossed the border and spent time in a more open society did it become clear to him that he was homosexual, something he had never previously had a name for. The 55-year-old is now the only openly gay North Korean defector living in the South.

”I was too embarrassed [at first] to confess that I [defected] because I felt no sexual attraction to my wife... I couldn't explain what it was that bothered me so much," he told the New York Times in June.

Not only is it super interesting in its own right, but it also opens up a very interesting parallel with historical people being described as "gay". I.e. imposing a label on someone for whom the concept of being homosexual didn't really exist (or was as clearly defined).
Adding to that there is the flight from oppression in North Korea just to find another form of oppression in South Korea.
I don't think there is a single thing about this that I don't find interesting, too bad his book isn't available in English yet.

KmA

Zero²;229346395 said:
Woah nice!! Did you get dizzy? Haha

Thankfully no lol. But I was probably the oldest person that practices there literally every girl that you can see in that gif asked me to spot them at least once and I was just like.... I am literally not working right now please leave me alone. I mean I still did it though.

Nicely done! Back layouts are so fun! :) If this is your first time completing that pass, that's a really big step! Congrats! Any plans to try adding a full (twist) to that layout?

I wish! I literally got my back tuck a week ago and even know I still get super scared at the set of it. Maybe in a few months I'll get to twisting and actually be cool.

mantidor

Ok, so I did hint at posting something more serious than just bad puns, I've had this article saved for a while but never got around to posting it.

North Korea's only openly gay defector: 'it's a weird life'

7MpXvA5.jpg

Not only is it super interesting in its own right, but it also opens up a very interesting parallel with historical people being described as "gay". I.e. imposing a label on someone for whom the concept of being homosexual didn't really exist (or was as clearly defined).
Adding to that there is the flight from oppression in North Korea just to find another form of oppression in South Korea.
I don't think there is a single thing about this that I don't find interesting, too bad his book isn't available in English yet.

This is fascinating but also so disturbing and sad :(

Bladenic

Trump about to sign away any and all rights and progress for us, i hope the gays I know that supported him are the first victims of "religious freedom" TBH

Sai-kun

Banned
Trump about to sign away any and all rights and progress for us, i hope the gays I know that supported him are the first victims of "religious freedom" TBH

i hope all the fuckbags that deflect discussion about the refugee/immigrant issues with "americans first!" rot in hell when they don't show up for the protests

fraktur

First things first: rip pamplemousse

Two weeks ago I finally watched the handmaiden. God was it amazing. I can only recommend it to everyone in this thread. The themes in the movie reminded me of another movie I hadn't watched: Carol. I don't even know why I postponed watching it. Anyway, I liked some aspects of Carol. The cinematography for example or the grainy, muted look, wich really catches the feel of the time. Unfortunately I didn't really care for the characters. Especially compared to the ones in the handmaiden. The movie is just too voyeuristic for its own good. It keeps its distance. The last scene is still fantastic though.

And as I just ordered the "cucumber/banana" blu ray: these are two series I can also recommend.

Since guys right-swipe a lot on Tinder, you're bound to get hundreds of matches. What makes a certain individual or a certain starting message stand out to you?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed

Also, will Moonlight make me feel better by the end?

I just saw Moonlight. I'd say the ending offers a happy resolution to one storyline and an ambiguous/neutral resolution to the other. Nothing bad happens at the end. I'm not sure I'd say it's a film whose story is supposed to make you feel better, but if seeing a queer black story on the silver screen makes you happy, then it might!

I can't tell if im asexual or just weird lol. I want to try a romantic relationship to make sure but wouldn't be weird to tell someone "Can I use you as a dating test subject? We can date...but there will probably be little to no kissing/sex"?

Top Bottom