• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_ndkep8UZBe1rq5h24o1_500.png

bae
^ Trevor Lagerwey

P.S. Dany, you're extremely attractive. :3

Sai-kun

Banned
He's white (technically speaking)... There are white Mexicans. Nationality =/= skin color (or as I like to say "melanin levels in our skin are not affected or dependent on one's nationality.").

i mean sure he's not the darkest dude on the block but i still wouldn't call him white. he's mexican. i'm not gonna speak for him but i know correcting people on your race gets old quick, especially if you take pride in it.

Kevyt

i mean sure he's not the darkest dude on the block but i still wouldn't call him white. he's mexican. i'm not gonna speak for him but i know correcting people on your race gets old quick, especially if you take pride in it.

I just feel like "white" has taken a more political meaning (as it has always been the case) rather than what we actually perceive as someone "being" white. It kind of reminds me during a time in history in the States in which the Irish were not considered "white." Anyone that was not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPS) were not considered "white." So yeah...

I'm watching some Call of Duty tournament matches and they seem fun. I remember when I watched a Smash tournament on I think it was Evo or Pax East, but damn those matches were exciting. I haven't seen anything like it. My question to those of you that play Smash, how hard is plink dashing?

Edit: Just found out that there's really no such thing as plink dashing in Smash... I was thinking of Street Fighter/Umvc3, lol. But still I remember some people saying that smash players had an easier time plink dashing because of they previously played Smash. So I guess it's all about movement, and execution. There's some Smash players that are very good at Capcom fighting games. Hmm... there's Smash Bros Brawl and Melee... Now I'm confused, lol.

mantidor

The issue with race is that folks in the US and latinamericans are worlds apart, yet no one really feels that way. When you talk about race about say, Japan, people immediately jump to the "their culture is different" argument, no one does this with latinos/US arguments, even though our cultures are very different.

I feel the same happens to LGBT issues. Immigration and cultural penetration, back and forth, make this even more complicated.

Kevyt

The issue with race is that folks in the US and latinamericans are worlds apart, yet no one really feels that way. When you talk about race about say, Japan, people immediately jump to the "their culture is different" argument, no one does this with latinos/US arguments, even though our cultures are very different...

What?

I found this, and it's a very hype match!! This is what makes me want to get into Smash!

http://youtu.be/EBGffJfBkd0?t=46m32s

Grakl

I have an exam and an internship interview today and I feel sick, blah. I missed class yesterday, too -- boo being sick!

Dany

Banned
^ Trevor Lagerwey

P.S. Dany, you're extremely attractive. :3
Gracias señor hour ;)
dany i always thought you were white
tumblr_inline_mgt3wdiRyg1qahu1s.gif

He's white (technically speaking)... There are white Mexicans. Nationality =/= skin color (or as I like to say "melanin levels in our skin are not affected or dependent on one's nationality.").
But I would never ever call my self white.
Yuup.

I just feel like "white" has taken a more political meaning (as it has always been the case) rather than what we actually perceive as someone "being" white. It kind of reminds me during a time in history in the States in which the Irish were not considered "white." Anyone that was not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPS) were not considered "white." So yeah...

and I do no see myself white politically or anything like that. I'm not Caucasian. Not from euro

i only call people by their skin color ;(

EDIT:
guy on okcupid is into fisting and gokkun (google it) and has a thing for asians.

if i'm rude enough maybe he'll go away yet i'm curious enough not to block him if he's really into this and if that's really him. the guy looks like an uglier mexican shia leboof clone.

That Tim Cook thread has some complete idiots in it.

I still can't get married to who I want to get married to, and my parents would hate me for it. Tell me again why someone influential should stay silent about their sexuality? There are MILLIONS of people who are devout Apple fans, whose opinions on sexualities could take a large turn for the better, and people don't want that to happen? Ugh.

(Although to be fair, I'm glad that just over half the people in the thread were utterly supportive of it)

RM8

Gracias señor hour ;)

Yuup.

and I do no see myself white politically or anything like that. I'm not Caucasian. Not from euro
To be fair we beaners are all mestizos, so we do have some Euro blood. I'd use the same approach as you if I visit the US, though, "white" seems to exclude "Mexican" over there.

uglier mexican shia leboof clone.
Lol, joke post, no one is uglier than Shia LaBeouf.

Alrus

A "famous person coming out" thread on the internet littered with people lacking any sort of empathy? I don't believe it.

Sai-kun

Banned
The only thing that makes me more passionately angry about something like the shitty posts in the Tim Cook thread is when someone tells me to not get so angry about those things. Especially when it's my own dad, a grown-ass Latino man who can relate to the struggle of being marginalized within a community.

Fuck that.

I get way too annoyed reading threads like that. I'd say most people who posted there are generally supportive, but it's the people saying things like "Don't care", "Why is this news?", "Can I be proud to be straight?" etc that my eyes are drawn to which irritates me. I always want to quote a few people and reply to them, but I don't feel like it's worth the effort since I doubt I'd change their minds.

Caladrius

The only way to deal with dumbasses a lot of the time is to either call them out to everyone else or out-shout them. They don't care, they're not going to be convinced or care about the consequences unless it fucks them over somehow.

It's been the same throughout history; People tend not to give any shits until it's personal.

Lol, joke post, no one is uglier than Shia LaBeouf.

I'd say "unapealing". He isn't ugly (okay,his hairstyle has always been bad but that can be corrected) but there's nothing remotely interesting or sexy about him. Sleeping with him would probably be none too different from picking up your average Schmoe off the street.
Only with a much better payoff for gold-digging

At the least a bad date is someone to talk about for days; a boring one is just pointless.

Well, sorry for overestimating people. Sheesh.

To mangle a saying:

"No matter how low your expectations of people are, they will always find new ways to disappoint you."

Golnei

EDIT:
guy on okcupid is into fisting and gokkun (google it) and has a thing for asians.

Gokkun as a fetish is kind of bizarre to me - the format just seems to divorce it from any actual eroticism. But I guess most fetishes seem odd in a vacuum, if someone viewed cold disembodied semen as an object of desire in itself, I guess gokkun could be appealing. Or maybe it's the humiliation angle?

The only thing that makes me more passionately angry about something like the shitty posts in the Tim Cook thread is when someone tells me to not get so angry about those things. Especially when it's my own dad, a grown-ass Latino man who can relate to the struggle of being marginalized within a community.

Fuck that.

Whether active or passive, members of oppressed groups furthering the oppression of others is always frustrating. Though for me it seems particularly distressing when it's between different generations of immigrants in the same general community; or certain groups of feminists against trans women.

Fuck that.

This. Believe it or not, being Irish when living in Northern Ireland was an awful thing only 25-odd years ago. I'm so annoyed that my dad didn't learn anything from it.

The only way to deal with dumbasses a lot of the time is to either call them out to everyone else or out-shout them. They don't care, they're not going to be convinced or care about the consequences unless it fucks them over somehow.

It's been the same throughout history; People tend not to give any shits until it's personal.

To mangle a saying:

"No matter how low your expectations of people are, they will always find new ways to disappoint you."

Mhm, yup. I'm just amazed that people can be so scummy about these things.

This post (among others) really bothers me in the Tim Cook thread:

I remember back then when Jobs gave the position of CEO to Cook, that I joked around with friends that this guy (we never heard of him before) looks gay.

Welp, seems like we were right.

I'm sorry, but what does gay "look like"?

I understand what he means, but the way someone appears has almost no bearing on their sexuality.

Also, bragging about joking that someone is gay? How is that funny?

Rayis

People don't understand the difficult process that is coming out, hell, I haven't come out to most people yet and just the thought of family finding out terrifies me.

RM8

I'm selling my iPhone to be honest. I want an agenda-free, non politicized phone! Can't we just play (phone) games already!?

Golnei

People don't understand the difficult process that is coming out, hell, I haven't come out to most people yet and just the thought of family finding out terrifies me.

I'm not out to that many people either. Leaving family aside, I'm hesitant to bring it up even with friends that I'm sure wouldn't have any objection. It'd be so much easier if you just had to do it once, but it's something you have to repeat constantly, with no idea how the other will react, regardless of how long you've known each other or how close you were initially. And as long as "coming out" exists as a social construct, those 'who cares' or 'everyone already knew' posts that you get when famous people are unmasked as being queer lizard people will always be so fucking infuriating.

This post (among others) really bothers me in the Tim Cook thread:

I'm sorry, but what does gay "look like"?

I understand what he means, but the way someone appears has almost no bearing on their sexuality.

Yeah, that post really bugged me as well.

Seriously, I feel the same way. Some people act like coming out isn't a big deal (usually the same people who say "Who cares?", "Keep it to yourself", etc), but it definitely *is* a big deal. I'm terrified of how my family will react due to the area they live in (and have lived in all their lives). They are extremely religious and live in the bible belt of the South (US). I already know their opinions on gay people based on some of the extremely homophobic stuff they have said in the past. And then to hear someone say it's "not a big deal"... yeah fuck that.

Caladrius

Don't worry, when I become king empathy and critical thinking will be the only subjects in school.

I'm on board if I get to be judge, jury and executioner of the criminal court.

Mhm, yup. I'm just amazed that people can be so scummy about these things.

Not much we can do but point to it as a reason to press on.

It's funny if you're the kind of cretin that thinks of being different as a source of shame.

I'm selling my iPhone to be honest. I want an agenda-free, non politicized phone! Can't we just play (phone) games already!?

Well you should do that anyway.

Dany

Banned
Seriously, I feel the same way. Some people act like coming out isn't a big deal (usually the same people who say "Who cares?", "Keep it to yourself", etc), but it definitely *is* a big deal. I'm terrified of how my family will react due to the area they live in (and have lived in all their lives). They are extremely religious and live in the bible belt of the South (US). I already know their opinions on gay people based on some of the extremely homophobic stuff they have said in the past. And then to hear someone say it's "not a big deal"... yeah fuck that.

Yeah, I mean sure they are supportive but they're going about it the wrong way.

Kevyt

Gracias señor hour ;)

Yuup.

Hmmm... interesting.

That Tim Cook thread has some complete idiots in it.

I still can't get married to who I want to get married to, and my parents would hate me for it. Tell me again why someone influential should stay silent about their sexuality? There are MILLIONS of people who are devout Apple fans, whose opinions on sexualities could take a large turn for the better, and people don't want that to happen? Ugh.

(Although to be fair, I'm glad that just over half the people in the thread were utterly supportive of it)

Wow... I haven't been following the news lately. I think it's good for someone like Tim Cook to come out, especially in the business world where the atmosphere is sometimes ultra-conservative. With that said.... my dad's favorite electronics company is Apple! He's somewhat homophobic, so this is going to be good. :D

berzeli

Banned
So I've been meaning to write in this thread for ages, hi peeps!
Seeing as I'm not a fan of Pokemon as, what feels like, 90% of LGBTIQGAF, I probably won't post a lot in this thread. Hell I might not post a lot on GAF especially since I'm about to lose my temper in the Tim Cook thread.

Oh but before I go/get banned. Please enjoy this gif from a Swedish commercial:
IV1RT3C.gif

Caladrius

I wonder if I could meet attractive men working at Sports Authority.

...Oh who am I kidding they'd never look at me twice.

I swear everyone knew already Cook was gay.

Gay public knowledge is not necessarily the same as general public knowledge, hard as it can be to believe at times.

My mother didn't understand what the main LGBT acronym meant until about a year ago (and she was in her adolescence over 10 years after Stonewall)

And of course Gay press covers much different things than the general press does, as we find and focus on specialized things that slip by news agencies that have to cover as broad a range of things as possible.

Seeing as I'm not a fan of Pokemon as, what feels like, 90% of LGBTIQGAF, I probably won't post a lot in this thread. Hell I might not post a lot on GAF especially since I'm about to lose my temper in the Tim Cook thread.

We only really talk about it near the launch of a new game, or when someone feels like bringing up starters for trifling reasons (you two know who you are. :V)

Welcome, and try not to get banned, I'm sure you'll get along fine with the half of GAF that aren't jackasses.

Wait until after you're a full member when banning is usually only a slap on the wrist.

Cuddler

i know, in fact i don't talk about weight because i don't think it really matters so much, but they were discussing that so i wanted to share :)
No problem, you can talk about eveything you want here (I'm sure you know since you lurked before, lol). I just wanted to highlight the fact that you weren't thinking less about yourself when you were overweight. I think everyone have the rights to be attracted to certain kind of bodies or not but a certain kind of body doesn't make someone automatically ugly, it can make him unattractive to some but not ugly imo. Anyway, one thing that I forget to write is that I saw many people with a similar problem that you had but kinda reversed, I've seen guys that likes overweight guys but that they can't find many possibilities because overweight guys are attracted only to other overweight guys. These was in the Korean community, doesn't seem to be the case in general community if specific dating sites statistics are to be believed.
Hopefully for me these statistics are true, lol
I think a guy is trying to hit on me or something. He's been texting me a little more and has been answering to some of my tweets, at school he's been getting closer to me. I wasn't aware of it until today because he told me that I MUST wait for him to go to a class which is outside my school and he even sit next to me at a class where he ALWAYS sits with his best friend and left his best friend alone. Moreover, in that class he suddenly put his head on my shoulder which is entirely weird and very suspicious. Then, there is the fact that he denies being gay but everyone has assumed that he is already.

I still think that he is just friendly but if he keeps doing more things I'll assume that he is trying to get my attention. Besides, why would he be attracted to me? I suspect he knows I'm gay because I accidentally talked about a crush I had with another friend and I think he overheard us but I don't think there are other reasons to be interested in me at this moment.
I'm late, but congrats daripad! :) Here are the possibilities:
1.He likes your personality and don't care about other things
2.He likes guys with your body type
3.He likes your face and don't care about other things
4.He is body curious/bodytype curious
Ok, this was invented by me, lol

Not sure how anyone went straight from "he put his head on my shoulder" to "he wants your D".
you guys always go down there, unless this is a new way to say that someone likes you, lol
. Worth trying and ask at the right time, at minimum you gained a new friend which is always great.

Hey there. :) I'm not really a Pokemon person either. You should still post here if you feel like it. What all games do you enjoy? Or what are you looking forward to?

Caladrius

I think my avatar has a subconscious effect on how I post.

I've looked like a cynical putz for the past 3 pages.

To be fair that's how I am in real life.

Anyway, one thing that I forget to write is that I saw many people with a similar problem that you had but kinda reversed, I've seen guys that likes overweight guys but that they can't find many possibilities because overweight guys are attracted only to other overweight guys. These was in the Korean community, doesn't seem to be the case in general community if specific dating sites statistics are to be believed.
Hopefully for me these statistics are true, lol

Hear hear.

I like chubs but don't have much of a desire to look the part.

berzeli

Banned
Hey there. :) I'm not really a Pokemon person either. You should still post here if you feel like it. What all games do you enjoy? Or what are you looking forward to?

I play pretty much anything that isn't an FPS, currently playing Guccamelee and finding it to be... overhyped. As to what I'm looking forward to: in the short term: LPB3, early 2015: The Witcher 3, late 2015: Uncharted 4 and finally whenever the hell it releases: whatever thatgamecompany does next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom