• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

re: Tim Cook thread;

as a straight man I hang my head in shame seeing some of the stuff in there ;__;

ETA: ok, I posted in there. I hope you guys like it.

Kater

Banned
Cyans post in the Tim Cook thread is something that I think everyone should quote in every thread from now on when people come in, asking why "them gays always announce their sexuality/etc". 😥

Kangi

Cyans post in the Tim Cook thread is something that I think everyone should quote in every thread from now on when people come in, asking why "them gays always announce their sexuality/etc". 😥

Pure insanity that it needed to be said.

Going to assume that these "why you gotta talk about being gay" people are the same ones who squirm in their seats at sights of PDA among gay people (who aren't lesbians). The kind who think that their "disapproval" isn't homophobia because they internalize it.

After Halloween is over and I go back to my old avatar, I'm adding a rainbow flag. From now on, every month is pride month.

Kater

Banned
Pure insanity that it needed to be said.

Going to assume that these "why you gotta talk about being gay" people are the same ones who squirm in their seats at sights of PDA among gay people (who aren't lesbians). The kind who think that their "disapproval" isn't homophobia because they internalize it.

After Halloween is over and I go back to my old avatar, I'm adding a rainbow flag. From now on, every month is pride month.
There are a whole lot of very hateful people who write stuff on the internet (foras, social media websites) that get really upset about every successful homosexual (or transgender) personality talking about being nice to each other, no wonder that some of them can also be found on NeoGAF. Some of them even call it an operation when they register on foras/social media websites just to stir up some heated debates (also called "flaming" if I remember correctly). You can reason with some of them (but it will cost a lot of patience on both sides, like always when there are opposing "forces").

I think I'll also include some LGBTQIA symbols somewhere in my avatar. 😥

re: Tim Cook thread;

as a straight man I hang my head in shame seeing some of the stuff in there ;__;

ETA: ok, I posted in there. I hope you guys like it.

No shame for you, dearie. You're alright, and if you don't associate with or agree with them, then you don't need any shame.

I'm so disappointed that the post is a few basic, simple facts that EVERYONE should know, and yet it's still needed. Then again, people in general know less than they should do.

There are a whole lot of very hateful people who write stuff on the internet (foras, social media websites) that get really upset about every successful homosexual (or transgender) personality talking about being nice to each other, no wonder that some of them can also be found on NeoGAF. Some of them even call it an operation when they register on foras/social media websites just to stir up some heated debates (also called "flaming" if I remember correctly). You can reason with some of them (but it will cost a lot of patience on both sides, like always when there are opposing "forces").

I think I'll also include some LGBTQIA symbols somewhere in my avatar. 😥

I view it more as a "why do I have to think about this?" I don't necessarily think people are very opinionated, they fall into an opinion of wishing they could just live in a bubble free of social progress that doesn't concern them. It's gross and offensively stupid because people can't look past themselves and their preferences to the point that everything is encroachment on 'their space'. Obviously it's not about them, but I think a "why do they have to announce x" is always going to be read that way by people who aren't knobs on the subject.

edit: I think there's an ignorance factor, like ignorant people don't like to be reminded that they're ignorant. It's like if someone wakes you up from a dream for a 'silly' reason, you get kind of pissed off.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
tumblr_inline_mgt3wdiRyg1qahu1s.gif

dont worry bb im not gonna treat you any differently now that i know

So I've been meaning to write in this thread for ages, hi peeps!

hi

are you gay or something

Yeah, I mean sure they are supportive but they're going about it the wrong way.

I'm not even sure if I would call what some of them said as being "supportive." Almost feels like the opposite.

I play pretty much anything that isn't an FPS, currently playing Guccamelee and finding it to be... overhyped. As to what I'm looking forward to: in the short term: LPB3, early 2015: The Witcher 3, late 2015: Uncharted 4 and finally whenever the hell it releases: whatever thatgamecompany does next.

Ah, that's cool. I still want to play Guacamelee - looks fun. I also plan on picking up LBP3 at some point as well as the Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4. :) My most anticipated games right now are: Xenoblade X, Zelda U, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, and Uncharted 4.

---

Yeah, Cyan's post was great and sad that it needed to be said at all (but apparently it did).

Seeing as I'm not a fan of Pokemon as, what feels like, 90% of LGBTIQGAF, I probably won't post a lot in this thread. Hell I might not post a lot on GAF especially since I'm about to lose my temper in the Tim Cook thread.

I'm not a Pokemon person either.. so Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
hi

are you gay or something

Depends on who's asking. Basically I'm like a 5 on the Kinsey scale and don't really identify me with any label as such since labels feels weird.

Ah, that's cool. I still want to play Guacamelee - looks fun. I also plan on picking up LBP3 at some point as well as the Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4. :) My most anticipated games right now are: Xenoblade X, Zelda U, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, and Uncharted 4.

The aesthetics of Guccamelee are great but it's kind of shallow and the never ending pop-culture references aren't especially clever. Really looking forward to FFXV as well, feeling excited about a Final Fantasy again at last.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Depends on who's asking. Basically I'm like a 5 on the Kinsey scale and don't really identify me with any label as such since labels feels weird.

no label is coo

are you a man or woman btw or do you not label yourself as such either (understandable since those two words are essentially meaningless)

berzeli

Banned
no label is coo

are you a man or woman btw or do you not label yourself as such either (understandable since those two words are essentially meaningless)

I'm surprisingly rigid in my own gender (man btw), but yeah slightly pointless distinction when you learn about intersex and the fallibility of the gender binary.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Slightly more into film than games actually (Yasujiro Ozu <3), and you know allsorts reading, cooking,
sex
, baking, drunkenly talking to random strangers about politics at parties. You know the usual, mostly.

schway

I've never seen any of Ozu's films, but they have a bunch of them on Hulu + so I'll have to check them out when I reup my sub. Which one would you recommend I watch first? (I assume I should start with his earliest and work my way up)

berzeli

Banned
schway

I've never seen any of Ozu's films, but they have a bunch of them on Hulu + so I'll have to check them out when I reup my sub. Which one would you recommend I watch first? (I assume I should start with his earliest and work my way up)

Eh, depending on how extensive back catalog Hulu has we're talking silent films and they're usually not the ideal starting point. My recommendation is to go with the so called "Noriko trilogy"; Late Spring, Early Summer, Tokyo Story. You can watch them in any order since they're not interconnected in any way apart from Setsuko Hara playing three different characters all named Noriko in them. And this trilogy contains what is his most celebrated work (and my favourite) Tokyo Story.

Kater

Banned
I view it more as a "why do I have to think about this?" I don't necessarily think people are very opinionated, they fall into an opinion of wishing they could just live in a bubble free of social progress that doesn't concern them. It's gross and offensively stupid because people can't look past themselves and their preferences to the point that everything is encroachment on 'their space'. Obviously it's not about them, but I think a "why do they have to announce x" is always going to be read that way by people who aren't knobs on the subject.

edit: I think there's an ignorance factor, like ignorant people don't like to be reminded that they're ignorant. It's like if someone wakes you up from a dream for a 'silly' reason, you get kind of pissed off.
Well, that's also true in some cases, I think. It's probably even harder to talk with people with their minds set that way than talk a "troll" into having a serious discussion who just wants to pick on minorities (/the "weak") for the "lulz".

Welcome to this thread! :D

What's a Five on this Kinsey scale? Is it a 0 - 10 ten scale?

(I never read anything about it, I don't like scales, scores and all that stuff.)

I'm not a Pokemon person, I'm a Jigglypuff person
Jigglypuff and Gengar are my favourite Pokemon. Don't care that much about the rest.

Kater

Banned
Spiders. D:

The greatest terror that nature sent out to destroy all the joy and bliss that a human could have. Infiltrating the housings, acting all like they help and at night they try to crawl into our ears and lay eggs in the unconscious humans brain so that the next generation may feast on the preys gray matter.

Kidding

Kinda horrified myself now with that story. Ugh

Spiders are kind of kewl. Well the spazzy fast-moving house spiders with spindly legs kind of freak me out I guess. Actually all spiders freak me out a bit but I've also reached some equilibrium with also thinking they're neat at the same time.

I frequently get hypnopompic hallucinations that spider-moth-isopod things are like in my bed with me and making a run for my face, so I guess my unconscious doesn't like those things so much.

berzeli

Banned
Welcome to this thread! :D

What's a Five on this Kinsey scale? Is it a 0 - 10 ten scale?

(I never read anything about it, I don't like scales, scores and all that stuff.)

Thanks.

It's a scale invented by the pioneering sex researcher Alfred Kinsey and is an attempt to describe a person's sexuality at a certain point in time. I tend to use it since it's a more fluid way to describe sexuality that I have found mirrors reality way better than the commonly used labels. You can read up a bit on it on wikipedia, pretty much all of Kinsey's work is fascinating.
It looks like this (and hopefully this picture is self explanatory if not feel free to ask.)

Kinsey_Scale.svg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh, depending on how extensive back catalog Hulu has we're talking silent films and they're usually not the ideal starting point. My recommendation is to go with the so called "Noriko trilogy"; Late Spring, Early Summer, Tokyo Story. You can watch them in any order since they're not interconnected in any way apart from Setsuko Hara playing three different characters all named Noriko in them. And this trilogy contains what is his most celebrated work (and my favourite) Tokyo Story.

Hulu only has 10 of his films and I don't think any of them are silent (unfortunately for me, since I love them). Guess I'll start with Late Spring.

Delio

Spiders. D:

The greatest terror that nature sent out to destroy all the joy and bliss that a human could have. Infiltrating the housings, acting all like they help and at night they try to crawl into our ears and lay eggs in the unconscious humans brain so that the next generation may feast on the preys gray matter.

Kidding

Kinda horrified myself now with that story. Ugh

It's weird I dont even like Spiders but Galvantula is <3

berzeli

Banned
Hulu only has 10 of his films and I don't think any of them are silent (unfortunately for me, since I love them). Guess I'll start with Late Spring.

Yas, someone else who loves the silents!

It's the only one I've managed to catch at a cinema and is a lovely piece of work and gorgeously shot to boot. Please check back (either in the thread or PM) and tell me what you thought of it.

On a kind of tangentially related note, Ozu probably wasn't straight and once he allegedly got caught handing over a love note to a, as wikipedia lovingly puts it, good-looking boy in a lower class. Which unfortunate got him kicked out of his dormitory.

Caladrius

Spiders are my favorite arthropods after Scorpions and Horseshoe crabs.

I would buy a Tarantula if I could find it a reliable food source.

I frequently get hypnopompic hallucinations that spider-moth-isopod things are like in my bed with me and making a run for my face, so I guess my unconscious doesn't like those things so much.

I have the same problem with ants.

Then again the last house we got suckered into rented had an intractable ant problem. (It was built on top of a colony)

Well that's because Galvantula is much more adorable than actual spiders.

Being the size of a dog helps.

Spiders are my favorite arthropods after Scorpions and Horseshoe crabs.

I would buy a Tarantula if I could find it a reliable food source.
nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

Cyans post in the Tim Cook thread is something that I think everyone should quote in every thread from now on when people come in, asking why "them gays always announce their sexuality/etc". &#128549;
Oh gosh, Cyan is basically the best.

Kevyt

Seeing as I'm not a fan of Pokemon as, what feels like, 90% of LGBTIQGAF, I probably won't post a lot in this thread. Hell I might not post a lot on GAF especially since I'm about to lose my temper in the Tim Cook thread.

Oh but before I go/get banned. Please enjoy this gif from a Swedish commercial:
IV1RT3C.gif

Welcome!! You should post more.

I think my avatar has a subconscious effect on how I post.

I've looked like a cynical putz for the past 3 pages.

To be fair that's how I am in real life.

I love cynicism! That makes you a very interesting person in my book. :)

Cyans post in the Tim Cook thread is something that I think everyone should quote in every thread from now on when people come in, asking why "them gays always announce their sexuality/etc". &#128549;

The most perfect and reasonable explanation.

are you gay or something

Ratsky, he could be Bi, why not ask "are you bi or something?" Why gay? Is there some internalized bi-erasure going on with you? :p
The smiley is there to let you know that I'm not writing this in a serious manner, but in a joking kind of manner :)

I'm surprisingly rigid in my own gender (man btw), but yeah slightly pointless distinction when you learn about intersex and the fallibility of the gender binary.

Thanks.

It's a scale invented by the pioneering sex researcher Alfred Kinsey and is an attempt to describe a person's sexuality at a certain point in time. I tend to use it since it's a more fluid way to describe sexuality that I have found mirrors reality way better than the commonly used labels. You can read up a bit on it on wikipedia, pretty much all of Kinsey's work is fascinating.
It looks like this (and hopefully this picture is self explanatory if not feel free to ask.)

Kinsey_Scale.svg

Interesting stuff!! You sound very knowledgeable :3 Can we have a conversation about the different scales that came right after the Kinsey scale? :D I'm a fan of Mr. Kinsey!

So guys and gals, how do you all feel about dating someone that's much older than you? Like a 15 to 20 year age difference. What are the relationship dynamics like? Do you exclusively date people around your age? Apologies for the many questions, I just want some input.

Kater

Banned
The form is still (for the most part) the same. &#128531;

Spiders are kind of kewl. Well the spazzy fast-moving house spiders with spindly legs kind of freak me out I guess. Actually all spiders freak me out a bit but I've also reached some equilibrium with also thinking they're neat at the same time.

Yeah, I try to be accepting of these creatures but my subconscious is deathly afraid of them, still. I also have a huge fear(?) of mantises.

Thanks.

Kinsey_Scale.svg
So it's mostly used for the sake of convenience since it is easier explained than the various terms for all kinds of sexual orientations.

I try to read up on it someday, couldn't hurt to at least know more about sexual psychology and all that, but it's not the highest priority for now in my life. &#128521;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom