• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some grade A stories there.

Between that and hearing Dan Ryckert's never ending stream of amazing stories on the Bombcast, I realize my college years were severely underutilized.

Dany

Banned
I would say that my undergrad has been well utilized with ...stories. Good thing I have two more years with grad school ;)

I would say that my undergrad has been well utilized with ...stories. Good thing I have two more years with grad school ;)

popcorn_gus.gif

Kater

Banned
Re-watched the Alien Quadrilogy again because of this thread here. Completely forgot about all the handsome actors.

Love this scene here (from "Aliens", so basically the second movie in the series) and Hudsons facial expression.
181505_o.gif

daripad

Haha I love HylianTom' stories

My life is so uneventful that if I had to write an autobiography it would be the most boring book in existence

SPESSMEHREN

Neo Member
Sigh.... I created an OKC profile last week. It's literally the first thing I've ever done to try and find someone since realizing I am gay over.... 7 or 8 years ago. Messaged some guys on there... it seemed like we had lots of common interests but no one ever messaged me back. Sucks too because they seemed like really cool people. :(

No one messaged me either.

alvmew

Sigh.... I created an OKC profile last week. It's literally the first thing I've ever done to try and find someone since realizing I am gay over.... 7 or 8 years ago. Messaged some guys on there... it seemed like we had lots of common interests but no one ever messaged me back. Sucks too because they seemed like really cool people. :(

No one messaged me either.

Trust me, you aren't alone. I've been on there about seven months, gotten only one date out of it, never get messaged first or responses really. Even when we match really well, share interests, and hell even when they like my profile. That's just the way that website seems to go, it seems.

Kater

Banned
Mine would be a pretty boring story for some parts, then chaos and action, then long endless emptiness with no build-up then chaos, repeat. It's really tiring. 😩

I failed my first test ever. If I don't do well on my next test and the final I will have to retake this course over the summer. (Physics).

DOWN

Banned
I've openly admitted to finding men attractive and people STILL think I'm straight and in love with a female friend that I hang out with often. I guess they just think I'm bluffing.
I'm out at work and somehow there's a wave of people who have been there for months and still ask suggestive questions when I mention my female close friend. They even bring it up on their own, acting coyly suspicious that I'd be so close to a girl I only am friends with.

Mumei

Peter Boghossian, and What Gay Pride Actually Means

Okay. Fine. As a fully licensed and registered LGBT person, I will spell out to Peter Boghossian what, exactly, “gay pride” means. (Actually, to be precise, I will point out what “LGBT pride” means.)

LGBT pride does not mean being proud of having been born lesbian, gay, bisexual, or trans.

It means being proud of having survived.

It means being proud of living in a homophobic, biphobic, transphobic society — a society that commonly treats us with contempt at best and violent hatred at worst — and still getting on with our lives. It means being proud of flourishing, in a society that commonly thinks we’re broken. It means being proud of being happy, in a society that commonly thinks we should be miserable. It means being proud of being good and compassionate, in a society that commonly thinks we’re wicked. It means being proud of fighting for our rights and the rights of others like us, in a society that commonly thinks we should lie down and let ourselves get walked on — or that thinks we should be grateful for crumbs and not ask for more. It means being proud of retaining our dignity, in a society that commonly treats us as laughing-stocks. It means being proud of loving our sexuality and our bodies, in a society that commonly thinks our sexuality and our bodies are disgusting. It means being proud of staying alive, in a society that commonly beats us down and wants us dead.

It is not easy to do any of this. Despite the many advances LGBT people have made over the decades, we still live in a society that commonly thinks we should be ashamed simply for existing. It is incredibly difficult to listen to people denigrate us, taunt us, humiliate us, bully us, shame us, from the earliest days of our childhood until the day we die — and still flourish, still be happy, still be compassionate, still fight for our rights, still retain our dignity, still love our bodies and our sexualities and our selves, still survive.

It is not easy to do any of this. It takes work.

When LGBT people talk about LGBT pride, when we attend LGBT Pride celebrations, when we say we’re proud to be gay or lesbian or bisexual or trans, this is what we’re talking about. It is a hugely important aspect of LGBT history and culture. And when people mock it and denigrate it in public, many of us take it rather personally. Experience has taught us that when people treat the concept of LGBT pride with hostility and contempt, they tend to treat us — our history, our culture, our struggles for equality and rights — with hostility and contempt.

And if you’d taken five minutes to look at the FAQs of some LGBT Pride Parades, to look up “gay pride” on Wikipedia, even to just Google “gay pride,” you would have known that.

I rather liked this explanation of what is meant by "pride" as used within the community.

Peter Boghossian, and What Gay Pride Actually Means

I rather liked this explanation of what is meant by "pride" as used within the community.

I really liked that as well. It should probably be posted any time one of those threads pops up in OT and people ask "I don't understand why you are proud of being gay".

Who is growing their facial hair for the month? :D

Don't forget before/afters

I would, but facial hair doesn't grow very well for me. :( Comes in patchy and just looks bleh.

Rayis

My beard grows incredibly fast, in a week or so I look shipwrecked, I always skip movember cuz I hate beards on myself.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My genes won't give me a beard. I get a few straggly hairs so I have to shave or else I just look dirty.

Not that I mind, since I'm not a beard person, but I'd rather just be barefaced than having to shave every so often.

Rayis

Are you interested in being a follicle transplant donor?
Oh honey, nothing would make me more happy than giving my beard to someone who actually enjoys beards so I can stop this horrible growth on my face which I hate, it's a win/win situation. I'd donate them without hesitation.

RM8

I'd let my beard grow a bit but IMO, mop of hair + beard is too much hair. And no, the mop isn't going anywhere until I bald or something :p

Kanhir

Who is growing their facial hair for the month? :D

Don't forget before/afters

I gave up shaving through October for my Halloween costume, and it's a real nest now. I guess I'll continue into no-shave November, see how far I can go.

Does anyone else have a really uncooperative beard? It's driving me manic trying to stop it from turning into a frizzy chin-fro, especially after I wash.

KmA

That thread about cheating got me thinking. I was talking to one of my friends about cheating in the gay community and they said that for guys its different.

I don't know, I've always felt that if you are in a position where you want to cheat, you're most likely not satisfied in your current relationship anyway so you might as well break up. But I don't know, I have little first hand experience.

I think it's generally always immoral, but people tend to get really huffy any time you call something 'immoral'. Like there are a lot of fairly low-stakes decisions that are significant enough to consider something more than etiquette, but maybe not significant enough to do a lot of hand-wringing over. I think a lot of people don't really get the degree of nuance that can exist in moral consideration and resent the imagined implications or perceive it as being a stronger condemnation than it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom