• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

y'all better not be lying about fantasy life. picked it up at target with the b2g1 today.

also got PvZ:GW but i'm not entirely sold on that yet. might exchange it for something else

Kevyt

I was gonna talk about two dating experiences I had... but they're too freaky for me to write about :S

Time to move on...

Oh and I also found this:

tumblr_lytr4toBH31rovqr3o1_500.jpg

What do you think Blood Diamonds? :p

All that inner peace is going to ruin eir music. Actually I haven't listened to it to comment on the quality anyways maybe it's an improvement.

I don't have tumblr. Tumblr the lama del rey pic or my experience? O: I found the Lama Del Rey picture on tumblr. I would love to make it as my avatar, but I love this one too:

I wish I could combine them into one, or have two avatars instead of one :3
the experience. i'm not into the llama. but i guess he's the goat to some

Hey guys. I'm encountering a bit of a dilemma here.

For context, I'm currently studying game development as a programmer.

See, there is this one gay guy in my class that I'm really interested in. He's handsome, kind, intelligent, and extremely talented (he's great at being both a producer and programmer). I've pretty much fallen for him, especially recently after he presented what is probably the best game idea out of the entire class.

We've been friends since the beginning of the semester this August. Despite my shyness, he's a really easy guy to talk to. That said, I feel that I have to keep on making excuses to head over to his desk area (which is situated on the opposite side of the room I work in) in order to talk to him. Anyways, I just feel that there might be something there, but I haven't any idea about how he feels about me.

Earlier today, I went over to him to confirm I had his phone number (I got it a while ago, but I pretty much never use my phone to talk to my classmates since I see them practically every day, and I also have a bad habit of only using first names for my contact list). I felt like just asking for his number out of the blue would be weird, so I made up a lie and told him that I was just making sure to get the number of all the LGBT people in our class. We both confirmed that we had each other's numbers, and then I headed home.

Here's where the dilemma comes in. I feel that I should come clean with him and tell him that I was only interested in getting his number. Something along the lines of:

"Actually, I sort of lied when I said that I wanted to confirm the numbers of all the LGBT people in our class. I was only interested in making sure I had yours."

The thing is, I'm not sure if something like that is creepy or not, and even if it isn't I feel that I may be too forward with my feelings.

What do you guys think? Should I text him (or tell him in person) that I really only wanted to get his number, or should I use the wait-and-see approach and get to know each other better before I try to do anything?

Dany

Banned
Mmm, that might be too much. Just tell him to hang out sometimes outside of class. You're obviously smitten, but don't lay all your cards on the table just yet.

Kevyt

Hey guys. I'm encountering a bit of a dilemma here.

For context, I'm currently studying game development as a programmer.

See, there is this one gay guy in my class that I'm really interested in. He's handsome, kind, intelligent, and extremely talented (he's great at being both a producer and programmer). I've pretty much fallen for him, especially recently after he presented what is probably the best game idea out of the entire class.

We've been friends since the beginning of the semester this August. Despite my shyness, he's a really easy guy to talk to. That said, I feel that I have to keep on making excuses to head over to his desk area (which is situated on the opposite side of the room I work in) in order to talk to him. Anyways, I just feel that there might be something there, but I haven't any idea about how he feels about me.

Earlier today, I went over to him to confirm I had his phone number (I got it a while ago, but I pretty much never use my phone to talk to my classmates since I see them practically every day, and I also have a bad habit of only using first names for my contact list). I felt like just asking for his number out of the blue would be weird, so I made up a lie and told him that I was just making sure to get the number of all the LGBT people in our class. We both confirmed that we had each other's numbers, and then I headed home.

Here's where the dilemma comes in. I feel that I should come clean with him and tell him that I was only interested in getting his number. Something along the lines of:

"Actually, I sort of lied when I said that I wanted to confirm the numbers of all the LGBT people in our class. I was only interested in making sure I had yours."

The thing is, I'm not sure if something like that is creepy or not, and even if it isn't I feel that I may be too forward with my feelings.

What do you guys think? Should I text him (or tell him in person) that I really only wanted to get his number, or should I use the wait-and-see approach and get to know each other better before I try to do anything?

So you're telling us that a guy you like, that you know is gay, gave you his phone number and you're debating on how whether or not you should tell him the real reason you got his number for??? o: What difference does it make? You should just text with him, get him to know better. See if there's chemistry. But you could always be honest about it and tell him the reason you got his number. Best of luck!!

Kevyt

i'm honestly so offended right now wtf

Really? I'm sorry I:

That's Dalai Lama's head photoshopped into Lana del Rey, hence the Lama del Rey. I honestly find all the Lana Del Rey parody hilarious. But I apologize, didn't mean this to offend you.

Edit: Ooops double post. Very sorry. Chrome messed me up.

That'd creep me out for sure.

Yeah. You've already got him in a bind by having him give you his number, and having to share a class for the term. You can't really expect to make use of that and have it be welcome, I'd perceive it as a kind of leveraging even if it wasn't consciously meant that way. If you want to approach him it kind of has to be on equal footing where he'd be as free to reject you as he normally would be.

Really? I'm sorry I:

That's Dalai Lama's head photoshopped into Lana del Rey, hence the Lama del Rey. I honestly find all the Lana Del Rey parody hilarious. But I apologize, didn't mean this to offend you.

Edit: Ooops double post. Very sorry. Chrome messed me up.
omfg no i was only kidding D:

Mmm, that might be too much. Just tell him to hang out sometimes outside of class. You're obviously smitten, but don't lay all your cards on the table just yet.

I've done that quite a few times already lol. Never just the two of us, though.

do you think he would find it weird? like based on his personality and stuff

I wish I knew the answer to that. He's a pretty chill guy, though.

So you're telling us that a guy you like, that you know is gay, gave you his phone number and you're debating on how whether or not you should tell him the real reason you got his number for??? o: What difference does it make? You should just text with him, get him to know better. See if there's chemistry. But you could always be honest about it and tell him the reason you got his number. Best of luck!!

I got his number like near the start of the semester, along with most of the other LGBT students in our class lol. I only wanted to confirm that I still had it when I talked to him earlier today since I never used it.

EDIT:
Yeah. You've already got him in a bind by having him give you his number, and having to share a class for the term. You can't really expect to make use of that and have it be welcome, I'd perceive it as a kind of leveraging even if it wasn't consciously meant that way. If you want to approach him it kind of has to be on equal footing where he'd be as free to reject you as he normally would be.
I don't think that'll be a problem, honestly. Even if I get rejected we'll still be friends. I'm not the type to hold a grudge or anything like that, and he's not the kind of person to distance himself from others over something like that.

It'd also not be the first time a classmate rejected me and we're still friends afterwards.

Kevyt

I got his number like near the start of the semester, along with most of the other LGBT students in our class lol. I only wanted to confirm that I still had it when I talked to him earlier today since I never used it.

So you like him? You want something with him? If so, I would agree with everyone else. Telling him would be kind of creepy. It would be better if you two got to know each other better.

I've done that quite a few times already lol. Never just the two of us, though.

Well then it needs to happen, just the two of you.

Kevyt

Any ideas on how to make it not seem like a date, then? >.>

Why yes... Just talk about your game project. Tell him you want to hear more about his idea. But just the two of you. Go to a Starbucks coffee or something. Tell him you want to work on a game project of your own, outside of class. Make up something, tell him you need his advice or something. Invite him to your house, or somewhere... discuss said idea but the reality is that it's a date in disguise. Also, it wouldn't hurt to work on something aside from school that's your own project ;) But it depends, you might have too much on your plate right now. For me, that's what I would do. Also what fighting games do you play?

Another idea, would be, if the guy is interested in fighting games, would be to have a FT10 in Ultra, SF, Marvel, or whatever fighting game he plays? (if he does play fighting games). Or tell him you want to play against him.

Why yes... Just talk about your game project. Tell him you want to hear more about his idea. But just the two of you. Go to a Starbucks coffee or something. Tell him you want to work on a game project of your own, outside of class. Make up something, tell him you need his advice or something. Invite him to your house, or somewhere... discuss said idea but the reality is that it's a date in disguise. Also, it wouldn't hurt to work on something aside from school that's your own project ;) But it depends, you might have too much on your plate right now. For me, that's what I would do.

i'm unsure if making him go to your house would be considered dating. it's bordering on creepy now

lol it's never not creepy

Kevyt

i'm unsure if making him go to your house would be considered dating. it's bordering on creepy now

lol it's never not creepy

Dating is downright creepy. You kind of have to get or be willing to get awkward and creepy. Otherwise, were would any of us be right now if our parents had not met the way they did? Think about it... lol Ever asked your mother how she met your father? :p

Dating is downright creepy. You kind of have to get or be willing to get awkward and creepy. Otherwise, were would any of us be right now if our parents had not met the way they did? Think about it... lol Ever asked your mother how she met your father? :p

ew gross. no one talks about parents hooking up.

Sai-kun

Banned

uhhhh you can absolutely start dating someone without seeming creepy.

Dany

Banned

wondering.png

Why yes... Just talk about your game project. Tell him you want to hear more about his idea. But just the two of you. Go to a Starbucks coffee or something.

I won't be able to do something like that until Thursday (we have separate projects to work on in the meantime, and then work on the game design idea he presented the other day is gonna start), but I'll keep that in mind.

Also what fighting games do you play?

Smash and UMvC3 (although I don't really play the latter much anymore).

Another idea, would be, if the guy is interested in fighting games, would be to have a FT10 in Ultra, SF, Marvel, or whatever fighting game he plays? (if he does play fighting games). Or tell him you want to play against him.

Nah, he doesn't have an interest in fighting games. Actually, you made me realize that I don't know much about what games he likes to play other than he likes indies. I'll be sure to bring that up next time I talk to him.

Kevyt

uhhhh you can absolutely start dating someone without seeming creepy.

Mouahahaha :p

Creepy is subjective though. I know there's a general consensus about what might be considered creepy, but to some, something(s) could be considered creepy and other things perfectly normal and vice versa.

For example, if someone from one of my classes asked for my phone number because they were trying to have their classmate's contact information (which includes me) and later find out it was because they were thinking of hitting on me, I would be like okay no biggie. I wouldn't consider it creepy, but that's just me :3

Nope. Awkward sure, awkward can be charming. But creepy makes a person content to avoid human contact.

Mouahahaha :p

Creepy is subjective though. I know there's a general consensus but what might be considered creepy, but to some something(s) could be considered creepy and others perfectly normal and vice versa.

i need to find me a creepy guy with the same sense of humor. it seems no one is to my level. like yesterday as i was driving i saw a box on the road and the first thing i said was dead baby could be in there lol.

Kevyt

if i do that i can't be myself. :shrug:

i need to find me a creepy guy with the same sense of humor. it seems no one is to my level. like yesterday as i was driving i saw a box on the road and the first thing i said was dead baby could be in there lol.

That's some Dark Humor right there... and that's just, I can't even... ;_;

I won't be able to do something like that until Thursday (we have separate projects to work on in the meantime, and then work on the game design idea he presented the other day is gonna start), but I'll keep that in mind.

Smash and UMvC3 (although I don't really play the latter much anymore).

Nah, he doesn't have an interest in fighting games. Actually, you made me realize that I don't know much about what games he likes to play other than he likes indies. I'll be sure to bring that up next time I talk to him.

Best of luck!!

WonderzL

Banned
Good luck with the guy! It would be creepy to say you lied to get his number, yes. But I'm glad you're going with another route.

Caladrius

What is this love of which you speak

Yeah it is really good. It seems like these days I usually want the music I listen to to make my heart ache just little bit.

Here you go (god I love Jóhann Jóhannsson so fucking much.) Not so much ominous but whatevs.

So much.

It's peaceful, but it feels like there's a melancholic quality to it too. Hard for me to really put into words.

Rayis

Human interactions are so needlessly complicated, it makes no sense that we're such social creatures yet we create all these artificial hurdles we have to get over.

It's peaceful, but it feels like there's a melancholic quality to it too. Hard for me to really put into words.

Yup, that's more or less it exactly. I find that his work in general is created with a very deft understanding of feeling, particularly paradoxical feeling or a kind of existential irony, which I think is why I like it so much. For example with his concept album Fordlandia, the theme suffusing the whole thing is that of failed, foolhardy, or even morally wrong - ambition, yet it ends on a note that's painfully optimistic. I listened to it during a particularly low period of my life, and it was the most healing thing I can remember from that period. Then those themes are repeated in The Miners' Hymns, which is even more melancholic, arrested and distant (somehow something less than melancholy), and ending in that strange kind of triumph the 'survivors' somehow allow themselves. Everything he does is like some contradiction that the heart seems to naturally know or understand, it's so bold and so fragile at the same time.

Sorry, I just geeked the fuck out so hard. I don't actually expect you to listen to all of that. It's long, slow building, and sometimes there isn't much to grab onto. I just think his stuff is like a balm for your soul. It's deeply imbued with feeling, but devoid of sentimentality, it's complex and painful but in a way that tries to mirror reality exactly and by consequence find a kind of true or realistic optimism, so in the end it's strangely healing.

Kevyt

Human interactions are so needlessly complicated, it makes no sense that we're such social creatures yet we create all these artificial hurdles we have to get over.

Oh man... this If only I could upvote this!!

If I can ever reach the stage where I can have a tagline underneath my avatar as other members who have 20,000+ posts, this will be it!

Dany

Banned

Because its awkward, what if I embarrass myself or they say no.

Or what if they say yes and we have to make small talk

worried.png

Society itself is a wholly artificial environment, though. It demands that we wear masks all the time, and that's not really meant as an indictment of society. Try moving through that world without a mask, you can't do it. We didn't use to wear masks, but our circumstances forced us to. It's why the wise sages go off and live in the mountains. You can't make it out here as a 'naked' person.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This is why I avoid all kinds of social contact/social situations. :cool:

It's why the wise sages go off and live in the mountains. You can't make it out here as a 'naked' person.
There's romanticism somewhere in there, but living in a mountain would be pretty cool, besides the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom