• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

You've never seen one before? Watch any movie set in the 1800s. They usually have that cloth backing on it (too keep light out) and the flash pan. Hell watch Back to the Future pt.III and it has one.
Large format cameras are actually still in use. The one drawback with digital sensors is price increases rapidly when you make them larger so there is no replacement for film in them other than scanners. They're slow to operate, but can produce really high res images. This page has some high res scans from 35mm film (really large scans, some are 64MP). 4x5, or "small" large format film, is 15 times larger and 8x10 is four times larger than that and the film used is the same.
Edit: This is what a 20x24 polaroid camera looks like :p
They take a picture near the end and show the result in pt 2.
My folks had a Polaroid back when me and my sister were children (In the mid-late 90's. We didn't get a more modern camera until about 2001.) Wish we hadn't thrown it away, would've been nice to show to my future nieces/nephews.
Throw away your parents. I'm super grateful that my mum kept her old SLR so I could shoot my first roll of film on it. Fully manual without a meter (kinda, I used my phone studying various image's EXIFs) which really forces you to imagine what the image will look like.
At least in Brazil, people of my age (18) usually are not familiar with floppy disks. But I find it odd because I used them a lot, probably due to an old and crappy PC I used to have. Now that I think about it, probably my first videogame experience was through a crappy game in a floppy disk?
I'm just 20, but I remember using floppies in school to move documents before USB sticks got practical.

Kangi

Gaming side right now.

assassinscreedpeu38.png

Meanwhile I'm just waiting for WoD.

Grizzo

It's not just the LDR thing, he's a homophobic and misogynistic piece of shit. I honestly don't care about how good he is.

He said some vile things in the past, and I think it's really unfortunate that he had to use "f*ggot" in one of his last songs (the one with Sia), but he said he did that because he makes a difference between gay people and that derogatory word (that he means more as a "coward" then an insult). Still hurtful, still doesn't make it right, but I'm just trying to understand why he would do that.

As far as I know, Azealia Banks was doing the same exact thing these last few years on Twitter but that didn't stop most of gay people to check out her album when it was released last week...

I agree that Eminem should stop rapping though (the Ray Rice thing was way over the line). But as long as he's selling like crazy, he's not gonna stop.

Kater

Banned
Gaming side right now.

assassinscreedpeu38.png

Meanwhile I'm just waiting for WoD.

I mean, I didn't expect anything and even I am surprised by how this game got released, in what state. I kinda hope it means that Ubi concentrates on other IPs and maybe even gets some more quality control in place.

What's "WoD"?

I mean, I didn't expect anything and even I am surprised by how this game got released, in what state. I kinda hope it means that Ubi concentrates on other IPs and maybe even gets some more quality control in place.

What's "WoD"?

warlords of draenor. something related to WOW or something.

He said some vile things in the past, and I think it's really unfortunate that he had to use "f*ggot" in one of his last songs (the one with Sia), but he said he did that because he makes a difference between gay people and that derogatory word (that he means more as a "coward" then an insult). Still hurtful, still doesn't make it right, but I'm just trying to understand why he would do that.

As far as I know, Azealia Banks was doing the same exact thing these last few years on Twitter but that didn't stop most of gay people to check out her album when it was released last week...

I agree that Eminem should stop rapping though (the Ray Rice thing was way over the line). But as long as he's selling like crazy, he's not gonna stop.
Azealia Banks eventually apologized, Azealia is also bisexual and none of her songs in BWET (Save for 212) use lyrics like that anymore. Eminem? Would rap about hitting gay people and women any time of the day. Eminem also constantly uses the word "Gay" in a derogatory way and as much as he says what faggot means to him, it doesn't change the meaning or history of the word and what it's been used for the whole time.
I guess it doesn't really matter though, he'll keep selling or whatever but that doesn't mean he's not a huge piece of shit.

Grizzo

Azealia Banks eventually apologized, Azealia is also bisexual and none of her songs in BWET (Save for 212) use lyrics like that anymore. Eminem? Would rap about hitting gay people and women any time of the day. Eminem also constantly uses the word "Gay" in a derogatory way and as much as he says what faggot means to him, it doesn't change the meaning or history of the word and what it's been used for the whole time.
I guess it doesn't really matter though, he'll keep selling or whatever but that doesn't mean he's not a huge piece of shit.

Alright I get it, like I said, I know he should absolutely stop using it.

I just can't help liking his older songs. I don't know what that makes me.

Mind you, I also listen to some Chris Brown songs despite what he did to Rihanna (and the fact that he is a vile person altogether).

Mind you, I also listen to some Chris Brown songs despite what he did to Rihanna (and the fact that he is a vile person altogether).

it's okay. no ones here to judge you

Kater

Banned
warlords of draenor. something related to WOW or something.
Thanks, didn't know that there was something new for WoW coming out.

Eminems old songs have pretty good melodies but the rhymes are very weak, sometimes they don't even work. :p

Faggot is a derogatory word used to disparage gay people. There is no other commonly accepted usage of that word. If you use the word "faggot," you're anti-gay, period.

Grizzo

it's okay. no ones here to judge you

Thank you
kissing_heart.png

Eminems old songs have pretty good melodies but the rhymes are very weak, sometimes they don't even work. :p

haha well let's agree to disagree on that. I don't know which songs you're talking about, but some of them are really important. But then you got the occasional club-banger with weak lyrics whose sole aim is to take shots at celebrities, like Ass Like That.
Faggot is a derogatory word used to disparage gay people. There is no other commonly accepted usage of that word. If you use the word "faggot," you're anti-gay, period.

Unless you're gay yourself, is that right?

I feel people (gay or not) should just stop using it, period. But that's what Piers Morgan has been saying about the n-word and eradicating it is just not that simple I guess.

Kater

Banned
haha well let's agree to disagree on that. I don't know which songs you're talking about, but some of them are really important. But then you got the occasional club-banger with weak lyrics whose sole aim is to take shots at celebrities, like Ass Like That.
I just think that his rhymes are generally very weak, but then, maybe it's just not as easy to rhyme in English then it is in German. (Though there are still some German rappers who rhyme single syllables so maybe it's just general laziness?)

Grizzo

I just think that his rhymes are generally very weak, but then, maybe it's just not as easy to rhyme in English then it is in German. (Though there are still some German rappers who rhyme single syllables so maybe it's just general laziness?)

It's really easy to rhyme in english though.

Baby
Lady
Crazy
Lately

See? I just found four words that rhyme. I could even write you a song with them there on the spot.

Overall I think Eminem's writing skills has always been pretty high (except of course when he uses derogatory words), but maybe it's just not your thing and then it might be useless to discuss it even further :)

That whole situation with AB and Perez was so overblown. She called him a messy f*ggot and people were ready with the pitchforks.

Not saying she should have used that word but he is a messy human being.
Her album doesn't have the word in it so it's best to move on unless she says it again.

Em is another case altogether he is meh to me.

Kevyt

Technical issues aside, AC Unity is up there with AC 2, and Black Flag. I am really enjoying the game, especially the parkour. I am a huge Assassins Creed fan, I have played all the games except for Liberation. Unity also looks very good graphically. Can't wait to try coop.

Grizzo

That whole situation with AB and Perez was so overblown. She called him a messy f*ggot and people were ready with the pitchforks.

Not saying she should have used that word but he is a messy human being.
Her album doesn't have the word in it so it's best to move on unless she says it again.

Em is another case altogether he is meh to me.

But Perez is not the only one she called a f*ggot, plus she also defended her use of the word just like Eminem would have (again, I'm not condoning his use of the word).

With the backlash she received it doesn't surprise me that the word is not featured on her album. But who knows if she really learnt her lesson though.

But Perez is not the only one she called a f*ggot, plus she also defended her use of the word just like Eminem would have (again, I'm not condoning his use of the word).

With the backlash she received it doesn't surprise me that the word is not featured on her album. But who knows if she really learnt her lesson though.

Ah, for some reason that was the only situation that got really lit up.
Azealia has personal problems that she needs to work on. She lashes out too much due to her childhood.

As someone who purchased a Eminem album I feel he can do better than go for shock value.
It's so unbecoming and the Lana dig is so classless and left field.

Rayis

God, the cold weather has come here finally, I really enjoy Autumn and Winter, they're my 2 favorite seasons, perfect cuddle time.

Technical issues aside, AC Unity is up there with AC 2, and Black Flag. I am really enjoying the game, especially the parkour. I am a huge Assassins Creed fan, I have played all the games except for Liberation. Unity also looks very good graphically. Can't wait to try coop.

I have a weird love/hate relationship with the AC series. There are elements to each game that I like and a myriad of problems as well (a lot of them are technical glitches and bugs, some of them are just design decisions - ugh, those annoying follow someone missions). I also hate how they have fucked up the present day storyline beyond belief with AC3 and on. I always thought the present day stuff had potential and totally expected a full game where you played as Desmond, but I guess they scrapped that idea. My favorite entries in the series are probably AC2 and Brotherhood personally. Black Flag was alright, but my playthrough was hampered with annoying bugs/glitches that made me not be able to complete some of the side missions. And Black Flag also had some incredibly poor mission design with what felt like 80% of the game made up of those annoying "follow this person" stuff. That's an exaggeration, but I still hated all those missions. I liked the main character at least.

I'm undecided if I want to fool with Unity or Rogue right now. Rogue just looks like Black Flag 2 and I'm kind of bored of the sailing/ship stuff after 2 games of having it (if you count those missions in AC3). Unity looks like an entire different beast all together which sounds interesting, but it obviously has had a lot of problems as well. Maybe I'll just wait for a Steam sale since it appears to run pretty poorly on PS4/Xbone.

Kater

Banned
It's really easy to rhyme in english though.

Baby
Lady
Crazy
Lately

See? I just found four words that rhyme. I could even write you a song with them there on the spot.

Overall I think Eminem's writing skills has always been pretty high (except of course when he uses derogatory words), but maybe it's just not your thing and then it might be useless to discuss it even further :)
Nothing wrong with curse words (except racist, sexist or homophobic stuff (for me personally))

I mean rhyming 4 or 5 Syllables, and having the text still make sense, still having a message that is funny or moving.

Talking to me about music is never easy, since I'm a ignorant thickhead and only like what I like. Sorry. 😄

God, the cold weather has come here finally, I really enjoy Autumn and Winter, they're my 2 favorite seasons, perfect cuddle time.
image.php

Grizzo

Ah, for some reason that was the only situation that got really lit up.
Azealia has personal problems that she needs to work on. She lashes out too much due to her childhood.

As someone who purchased a Eminem album I feel he can do better than go for shock value.
It's so unbecoming and the Lana dig is so classless and left field.

To be honest I don't even know why he did that (referring to the LDR/Ray Rice verse). He certainly doesn't need that to sell. So maybe he's just a big old mean and bitter guy.

Talking to me about music is never easy, since I'm a ignorant thickhead and only like what I like. Sorry. 😄

If memory serves me well, you listen to glam-rock, new wave and other stuff in that genre right? I don't know if both of us ever talked about music together in this thread :)

She used it a few times on twitter, Eminem uses it 7 times on a song. She doesn't do it anymore, Eminem still does. Azealia performed at Pride, Eminem hasn't done shit.
It's just not the same. Anyway I'm tired of talking about that vile trash.

Kevyt

I listen to Skid Row and one of the members had a homophobic shirt, I can't remember what it said but it was controversial. I also love Aerosmith, GNR, and 4 Non Blondes. 80's and 90's music FTW!!!

I can't stand today's music and artists except for a few like Pink and Gaga.

I listen to Skid Row and one of the members had a homophobic shirt, I can't remember what it said but it was controversial. I also love Aerosmith, GNR, and 4 Non Blondes. 80's and 90's music FTW!!!

I just can't separate artist from music most of the time. It's why I think Iggy whatever is human trash

Kater

Banned
If memory serves me well, you listen to glam-rock, new wave and other stuff in that genre right? I don't know if both of us ever talked about music together in this thread :)
Everything from Crystal Castles to Queens. I even listen to some really silly "teenage rock" like Tenacious D sometimes.

As for rap, I listen to this artist the most, called "Morlockk Dilemma" (Morlocks are the creatures that live underground in H.G.Wells Time Machine, by the way)

Here's two tracks that I cherish the most from his discography: "Der Stein" (The Stone), "Mordshunger" (Ravenous/Murderous(?) hunger)

Grizzo

Anyway I'm tired of talking about that vile trash.

...well O.K.

Fantastic taste (can't say the same about Gaga though I do think that she's talented, it's just a shame about her music post-The Fame Monster)

Everything from Crystal Castles to Queens. I even listen to some really silly "teenage rock" like Tenacious D sometimes.

As for rap, I listen to this artist the most, called "Morlockk Dilemma" (Morlocks are the creatures that live underground in H.G.Wells Time Machine, by the way)

Here's two tracks that I cherish the most from his discography: "Der Stein" (The Stone), "Mordshunger" (Ravenous/Murderous(?) hunger)

Will give those a spin, thanks!

Don't know much about German music (about Rammstein and that rapper called Kool Savas who was featured on a handful of R&B singles), and even less about Austrian one, so it's always good to broaden its horizons!

Kater

Banned

Don't know much about German music (about Rammstein and that rapper called Kool Savas who was featured on a handful of R&B singles), and even less about Austrian one, so it's always good to broaden its horizons!
So basically just the surface of popular music of the '00s of German music then, heh. Same for me though, I only know SoKo and that's about it when it comes to french artists.

Now that I remembered SoKo I can't get the lines "it's raining outside, may I come inside" out of my head. 😄

Grizzo

So basically just the surface of popular music of the '00s of German music then, heh. Same for me though, I only know SoKo and that's about it when it comes to french artists.

Now that I remembered SoKo I can't get the lines "it's raining outside, may I come inside" out of my head. ��

As for french artists, I think Daft Punk, Charles Aznavour and Edith Piaf (and Yelle albeit on a much lesser extent) all have managed to cross the frontiers and are well-known on an international level. But I don't listen to either of them, haha (except for Yelle).

And Alizée in Mexico, strangely.

Kevyt

...well O.K.

Fantastic taste (can't say the same about Gaga though I do think that she's talented, it's just a shame about her music post-The Fame Monster)

I fell in love with Pink after her live performance of Glitter in the air where she does all the gymnastics like thingy. She is very talented. As for Gaga, I love that she doesn't lip sync, at least I think she doesn't. I loved her live performance of You and I at the VMAs as Jo Calderon.

Now that I remembered SoKo I can't get the lines "it's raining outside, may I come inside" out of my head. 😄

For German music, I only listen to Nena. Ramstein is too wild for me. And thats the only German music I know.

As for french artists, I think Daft Punk, Charles Aznavour and Edith Piaf (and Yelle albeit on a much lesser extent) all have managed to cross the frontiers and are well-known on an international level. But I don't listen to either of them, haha (except for Yelle).

Daft Punk is a French band? I thought they were American. Another singer that sings in French is Mylene Farmer. I loved her songs and her (sometimes) depressing themes, like Desanchantee. Mika also made a French song called Elle me dit.

WonderzL

Banned

I love Born This Way Gaga, :(. A friend of mine has the same opinion as yours, and I agree that TFM is better, but BtW was released when I was? 15? And that whole "it's OK to be who you are" was very important to me... But I totally agree that she's been getting worse since TFM.

Kater

Banned

Oh Daft Punk is cool too. They are french? 😞

Do you listen the music of other Electronica artists like I Monster or Aphex Twin?

For German music, I only listen to Nena. Ramstein is too wild for me. And thats the only German music I know.
Rammstein is a really lousy band. Tryhard poets.

Nena is okay in my book. I don't listen to her anymore but I liked her music as a teenager. It fits the time when growing up very well, the life of a teenager.

ARTPOP on the other hand...

Burqua was a really cool track though. Should have been a single and just that song. :p

Grizzo

Daft Punk is a French band? I thought they were American. Another singer that sings in French is Mylene Farmer. I loved her songs and her (sometimes) depressing themes, like Desanchantee. Mika also made a French song called Elle me dit.

Yes there are french!

I didn't know if Mylene was really known outside of France so it's pretty cool to have confirmation that yes she is. As for Mika yeah, he's Lebanese-British, but he always has been quite popular in France, he's even one of the judge on the french edition Voice now.

By the way, that Glitter In The Air performance at the Grammys is one of Pink's absolute best.

I love Born This Way Gaga, :(. A friend of mine has the same opinion as yours, and I agree that TFM is better, but BtW was released when I was? 15? And that whole "it's OK to be who you are" was very important to me... But I totally agree that she's been getting worse since TFM.

You know what, all things considered, I think Born This Way isn't half-bad. There are some tracks I like on it, even if The Fame is still her best album imo.

ARTPOP on the other hand...

Vazduh

Btw, aren't Air and Phoenix well-known worldwide, too?

Random confession time: Matt Pokora was my guilty pleasure back when he did that album with Timbaland :O I don't think he qualifies as celebrity, right?

Grizzo

Btw, aren't Air and Phoenix well-known worldwide, too?

Random confession time: Matt Pokora was my guilty pleasure back when he did that album with Timbaland :O I don't think he qualifies as celebrity, right?

Yes they are, and M83 too! But I wanted to mention those that were what I felt like the most well-known.

M. Pokora is wildly popular in France. He makes shit music though.

Vazduh

So he is really popular? Wow, didn't know that.

And yeah, I agree with you, the acts I mentioned aren't as popular as the ones you've mentioned earlier.

Kevyt

As for Spanish music I love Rata Blanca, Soda Stereo, Los Prisiioneros, Mago De Oz, La Oreja de Van Gogh and many others I can't remember. I swear I love 80's and 90's music so much!!

Ty4on

People didn't know Daft Punk were french? They basically created the genre "french house" :p
Ou4Zm6v.png

Ishgur's guide which is old, but still cool. I should have chosen the Daft Punk track there, but the Thomas being praised is half of Daft Punk.

I was planning on listening to one or two tracks just before going to bed last weekend, but ended up going through Discovery again. If you haven't seen Interstella 5555 the entire thing is on YT.

Caladrius

Did sum1 sei music

Trance Swing Drone Electronic ambient Whatever the fuck this is J-rock ( of the vocaloid variety) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9iHY_P5vZo [1] [2]

As far as Heavy metal goes... (I'm not going to post links because it would take me an hour to find everything I wanted to show)

Symphonic: Within Temptation (Mostly just from Hydra) Edenbridge, Septic Flesh
Power: Blind Guardian, Iced Earth (post 2008), Kamelot (Fourth Legacy onward), Symphony X (Mostly from Iconoclast)
Tech Death: Spawn of Possession, The Faceless, Augury
Prog: Animals as Leaders, Blotted Science
Doom: Candlemass, Type O Negative if that counts.
Drone: Sunn O))), Boris, Wormphlegm

Also practically every damned thing Epica has ever made.

At least in Brazil, people of my age (18) usually are not familiar with floppy disks. But I find it odd because I used them a lot, probably due to an old and crappy PC I used to have. Now that I think about it, probably my first videogame experience was through a crappy game in a floppy disk?

My school never taught us how to use them, My parents had to show me how.
The people I met in high school were generally able to recognize one. Kinda crazy to think that might not be the case in a few years.
I haven't been able to find any computers that even have floppy disc slots anymore.

Large format cameras are actually still in use.

Throw away your parents. I'm super grateful that my mum kept her old SLR so I could shoot my first roll of film on it. Fully manual without a meter (kinda, I used my phone studying various image's EXIFs) which really forces you to imagine what the image will look like.

I'm just 20, but I remember using floppies in school to move documents before USB sticks got practical.

I never really gained an appreciation for older technology myself until after my 64 was sold off. I wish I had learned better sooner or I would have asked to keep it.

Hmmm.. We should create a thread on GAF for very old and interesting photos. That'd be wonderful.

Not a bad idea, actually.

I have been feeling angry a lot of the time since yesterday after a bus driver was abusive (unrelated to anything queer). Now two people reacting badly on social media, not much but bad in this state of mind. I feel like not trying anything or doing anything.

Bus driver pulled up at stop a bit far down, both doors opened, I thought this was for me to get on closest door so as to not be a hassle, bus driver yesterday started yelling at me to get off and get on through the front door, telling me it's how it's been for 50 years. There aren't any signs saying exit or entry so here even though I later researched and it is the case in some cities. Different companies have different policies apparently as well. And it seems different with trams and buses? Not something to shout at me like I should know. I looked up guides to buses in this city and they don't say to do it. I rang up today to make a complaint about how the bus driver was. I was dreading taking the bus again and considered walking half an hour to a train station instead from now on.

Today I chimed in on social media and was told I was harassing them and another told me not to speak for them when I wasn't. I knew I shouldn't have said anything to them, this usually works. It was bad when I am in this state of mind from yesterday.

I am very sensitive to this type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom