• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything from Crystal Castles

What do you think about Alice leaving?

I feel, even though she was a really good fit for Crystal Castles, Ethan really ran the show. His production skills are top notch and I look forward to seeing what he does with Crystal Castles next. Plus the best CC song is Not In Love with Robert Smith.

That being said... I'll still miss Alice.

giphy.gif

Kater

Banned
What do you think about Alice leaving?

I feel, even though she was a really good fit for Crystal Castles, Ethan really ran the show. His production skills are top notch and I look forward to seeing what he does with Crystal Castles next. Plus the best CC song is Not In Love with Robert Smith.

That being said... I'll still miss Alice.

giphy.gif

I didn't even know! Awww, that's a shame! 😞

It's good to see that Ethan still wants to go along doing his music though.

What is she doing, now that she is not with CC anymore?

I didn't even know! Awww, that's a shame! 😞

It's good to see that Ethan still wants to go along doing his music though.

What is she doing, now that she is not with CC anymore?

Solo career... but I'm not sure how well that will work out for her. But I'll keep an open mind and check out any music she releases.

Dany

Banned
Bus driver pulled up at stop a bit far down, both doors opened, I thought this was for me to get on closest door so as to not be a hassle, bus driver yesterday started yelling at me to get off and get on through the front door, telling me it's how it's been for 50 years. There aren't any signs saying exit or entry so here even though I later researched and it is the case in some cities. Different companies have different policies apparently as well. And it seems different with trams and buses? Not something to shout at me like I should know. I looked up guides to buses in this city and they don't say to do it. I rang up today to make a complaint about how the bus driver was. I was dreading taking the bus again and considered walking half an hour to a train station instead from now on.

Yeah I understand. Traveled to three different cities and the bus systems are all different. I would just try to let it go. The bus driver yelling at you is obviously wrong and I'm sorry that happened.

Kater

Banned
Solo career... but I'm not sure how well that will work out for her. But I'll keep an open mind and check out any music she releases.
Well, her voice worked really well with the music, so now she has to either make the music herself or find a new partner to make music with. Or make A cappella stuff. 😄

Man... I really squandered my 4 years at college. I have almost nothing resume worthy to show for it. Just some minor club participation, and a few months in a research lab (but no publications)... :[

any volunteer work?
part time work?

Education part of my resume is like 6 lines. lol

Yes. I volunteered as part of one of the clubs.

As for part time work. No. I've been "working" at a research lab for the past 6-8 months. But I don't do much there, and I am not being payed. Nor am I an official member of the lab.

But even with all that, my resume is barely anything.

Achtius

So "lumbersexual" is a thing now?

Attracted to...lumberjacks?

Yes. I volunteered as part of one of the clubs.

As for part time work. No. I've been "working" at a research lab for the past 6-8 months. But I don't do much there, and I am not being payed. Nor am I an official member of the lab.

But even with all that, my resume is barely anything.

Still experiences, are there any specific skills you used or learn? Like analyzing data? Did you learn any program?

Attracted to...lumberjacks?

Still experiences, are there any specific skills you used or learn? Like analyzing data? Did you learn any program?

Yes. For a class project I learned how to use R and to do some statistical analysis tests like ANOVA, MANOVA, two tailed t-tests.

In the lab I've done a bunch of PCR, gel electrophoresis, euthanizing mice, weening mice, cell culture, and I've done a tiny bit of cell transfection.

But that stuff fills out a very very tiny part of the resume.

If all goes well, next December I will learn how to do cell imaging and I'll quantify some data that will get my name on a paper. But the way the lab has been these past couple months that wont pan out.

Granted maybe I shouldn't worry too much? I will go back to school after graduating and get a CS degree. I can do internships and build up a better resume and get an actually useful degree. Biology isn't useful unless you go grad school or premed. Wish I had known sooner that I wouldnt enjoy being a biology post-doc.

I might apply after I graduate to some bio lab things too. See if I can get anywhere before dedicating myself to going back and doing CS. Probably not though. Not with a Bachelor's in it.

Achtius

Yes. For a class project I learned how to use R and to do some statistical analysis tests like ANOVA, MANOVA, two tailed t-tests.

In the lab I've done a bunch of PCR, gel electrophoresis, euthanizing mice, weening mice, cell culture, and I've done a tiny bit of cell transfection.
Do you actually know how to manipulate, organize and analyze data in R? If so you can totally put that on your resume.

But those are skills and experiences you can put on your resume until you can replace them with something more relevant.

Granted maybe I shouldn't worry too much? I will go back to school after graduating and get a CS degree. I can do internships and build up a better resume and get an actually useful degree. Biology isn't useful unless you go grad school or premed. Wish I had known sooner that I wouldnt enjoy being a biology post-doc.

lol this is so true. My master of science is basically a piece of paper and 4 lines on my resume.

Do you actually know how to manipulate, organize and analyze data in R? If so you can totally put that on your resume.

But those are skills and experiences you can put on your resume until you can replace them with something more relevant.

lol this is so true. My master of science is basically a piece of paper and 4 lines on my resume.

I'm probably rusty in R. I could probably quickly get better with some review.

If I can do a second Bachelor's in CS in ~3 years I'll be around 25 years old out of school. With some real job prospects hopefully. I just feel kind of awful because that's going to be 4 years after a lot of my peers. Except the med school folk but they have med school going for them.

Kevyt

I have a weird love/hate relationship with the AC series. There are elements to each game that I like and a myriad of problems as well (a lot of them are technical glitches and bugs, some of them are just design decisions - ugh, those annoying follow someone missions). I also hate how they have fucked up the present day storyline beyond belief with AC3 and on. I always thought the present day stuff had potential and totally expected a full game where you played as Desmond, but I guess they scrapped that idea. My favorite entries in the series are probably AC2 and Brotherhood personally. Black Flag was alright, but my playthrough was hampered with annoying bugs/glitches that made me not be able to complete some of the side missions. And Black Flag also had some incredibly poor mission design with what felt like 80% of the game made up of those annoying "follow this person" stuff. That's an exaggeration, but I still hated all those missions. I liked the main character at least.

I'm undecided if I want to fool with Unity or Rogue right now. Rogue just looks like Black Flag 2 and I'm kind of bored of the sailing/ship stuff after 2 games of having it (if you count those missions in AC3). Unity looks like an entire different beast all together which sounds interesting, but it obviously has had a lot of problems as well. Maybe I'll just wait for a Steam sale since it appears to run pretty poorly on PS4/Xbone.

Same here. I actually feel like they're trying too hard with the present day stuff, like it's not even necessary but they're still pushing that... and it doesn't fit in at all, especially after ACIII... But I recommend AC Unity, I would advice you wait for a steam sale or a significant price drop. The only reason why I got it was because of a promotion, so the game was free for me.

La Oreja de Van Gogh is the GOAT. Or used to be, but they're still okay :p

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3et8s2z9wg

I don't get it. lol

I haven't heard some of their newer songs, LOdVG is not the same without Amaia. The new chick is not as bad from what I've heard but still, it doesn't feel like it's them anymore.

I also remember this popular Portuguese song, it was number one song in youtube for a couple of weeks. Michel Telo's Ai se eu te pego. The song is catchy, and wow it's three years old but it feels like yesterday. Portuguese sounds funny, lol.

I'm probably rusty in R. I could probably quickly get better with some review.

If I can do a second Bachelor's in CS in ~3 years I'll be around 25 years old out of school. With some real job prospects hopefully. I just feel kind of awful because that's going to be 4 years after a lot of my peers. Except the med school folk but they have med school going for them.

You'll have two degrees at the age of 25, that's amazing. You can also pursue Masters on either one later on. Having two Masters, and then two Doctorates would be beastly.

mantidor

As for Spanish music I love Rata Blanca, Soda Stereo, Los Prisiioneros, Mago De Oz, La Oreja de Van Gogh and many others I can't remember. I swear I love 80's and 90's music so much!!

I like you, I think I already told you that in the latino thread. :p

Whenever we get frunk with my friends we end up blasting "Tren al Sur" and singing along heh.

And I don't know a single out actor from Brazil. There was this actress girl in some telenovela who actually had two dads, I remembered because it caught my attention in the news, but I think that is the closest thing I've seen to lgbt stuff from TV personalities.

You'll have two degrees at the age of 25, that's amazing. You can also pursue Masters on either one later on. Having two Masters, and then two Doctorates would be beastly.

Heh probably won't pursue a Master's. That a very positive outlook I suppose (two degrees at 25). :)

WonderzL

Banned
And I don't know a single out actor from Brazil. There was this actress girl in some telenovela who actually had two dads, I remembered because it caught my attention in the news, but I think that is the closest thing I've seen to lgbt stuff from TV personalities.

We have Daniela Mercury (a singer) and...? That's the only one I can think of that's internationally famous. Alessandra Maestrini recently came out as bi, though.

Kevyt

I like you, I think I already told you that in the latino thread. :p

Whenever we get frunk with my friends we end up blasting "Tren al Sur" and singing along heh.

Thank you <3

I was one time alone in the metro, as I was heading to school and I started singing alone with my earphones on. It was fun singing it while riding the metro (train). :p

Heh probably won't pursue a Master's. That a very positive outlook I suppose (two degrees at 25). :)

Yes two degrees at age 25 is impressive, very impressive! Especially CS and Med School (biology?). You're gonna kill it!

For example at age 24 (3+ years from now) I'll only have a Bachelors in Computer Science. I was a terrible student in High School, went to Community College, was terrible there too. I switched majors several times, until I have finally settled for Computer Science. Terrible, simply terrible. But anyways, two degrees at 25, my... I'm jelly! Wished I had made better choices before! :p I'm sure you'll be able to find a job that pays you really good. Just be patient ;)

Grizzo

BRAZILIAN song, Michel Teló is Brazilian. It's in Portuguese but it's not from Portugal. :p

Portuguese sounds so sexy to my ears. I don't know why but it's such a turn-on to me.

Also that song by Michel Teló was EVERYWHERE in France during the summer of 2012 so I can't stand it.

Kevyt

Portuguese sounds so sexy to my ears. I don't know why but it's such a turn-on to me.

Also that song by Michel Teló was EVERYWHERE in France during the summer of 2012 so I can't stand it.

French sounds so very sexy to me. I saw a short film in french and one of the guys (a very cute one) in it gave a monologue from Romeo and Juliet, and it was just so adorable, so romantic and sexy at the same time. French guys talking in French <3

This is in contrast to the Quebecois accent... lol.

Yes two degrees at age 25 is impressive, very impressive! Especially CS and Med School (biology?). You're gonna kill it!

For example at age 24 (3+ years from now) I'll only have a Bachelors in Computer Science. I was a terrible student in High School, went to Community College, was terrible there too. I switched majors several times, until I have finally settled for Computer Science. Terrible, simply terrible. But anyways, two degrees at 25, my... I'm jelly! Wished I had made better choices before! :p I'm sure you'll be able to find a job that pays you really good. Just be patient ;)

Med School is what I said my peers were doing. You go to med school after undergrad. My current undergrad degree is biology. I did not choose to pursue medical school. However a Bachelor's in biology is literally close to worthless. Hence why I want to go back and do CS.

Grizzo

French sounds so very sexy to me. I saw a short film in french and one of the guys (a very cute one) in it gave a monologue from Romeo and Juliet, and it was just so adorable, so romantic and sexy at the same time. French guys talking in French <3

This is in contrast to Quebecois accent... lol.

I hate québécois accent :( but I know some great people who have one! Which doesn't mean anything but I still wanted to point it out.

French is alright, but I've adopted a sort of slang accent ever since my teenage years (in junior high school more precisely) and sometimes it's not that beautiful to hear. Thankfully I know how to suppress it if the situation requires me to, haha.

Kevyt

Med School is what I said my peers were doing. You go to med school after undergrad. My current undergrad degree is biology. I did not choose to pursue medical school. However a Bachelor's in biology is literally close to worthless. Hence why I want to go back and do CS.

I disagree. I think it will help you later in your future.

I hate québécois accent :( but I know some great people who have one! Which doesn't mean anything but I still wanted to point it out.

French is alright, but I've adopted a sort of slang accent ever since my teenage years (in junior high school more precisely) and sometimes it's not that beautiful to hear. Thankfully I know how to suppress it if the situation requires me to, haha.

I had some friends who were fluent in French, and speaking to them, I picked up on their slang too. Just recently I was talking to the French professor in my school and she was like "Mais non! Ce mot n'existe pas, il faut que tu parles le Francais correctmente!!" She then started lecturing me on how the French were very precise on their language that they didn't like to make up new words, as a form to preserve their culture. Except slang French is common among the younger generation. Slang accents included.

Grizzo

I disagree. I think it will help you later in your future.

I had some friends who were fluent in French, and speaking to them, I picked up on their slang too. Just recently I was talking to the French professor in my school and she was like "Mais non! Ce mot n'existe pas, il faut que tu parles le Francais correctmente!!" She then started lecturing me on how the French were very precise on their language that they didn't like to make up new words, as a form to preserve their culture. Except slang French is common among the younger generation. Slang accents included.

Well your professor was right. We had many new words added to our dictionary this year, but most of them were in English, like "selfie" or "twitter".

Which is funny because we're awful at speaking English (actually, we're even one of the worst European country in that regard).

RM8

Well your professor was right. We had many new words added to our dictionary this year, but most of them were in English, like "selfie" or "twitter".

Which is funny because we're awful at speaking English (actually, we're even one of the worst European country in that regard).

Even if that's the case, English sounds really cool IMO with a French accent! We Spanish speakers sounds like Sofía Vergara to different degrees :(

Grizzo

Eille. Why are you so mean? :(
/Québécois

Awww don't worry, I'm sure it's all a matter of accustomization! If I spent some time in Québec, I would probably get used to it :)

Even if that's the case, English sounds really cool IMO with a French accent! We Spanish speakers sounds like Sofía Vergara to different degrees :(

Haha, but Sophia is really hot so it's not a bad thing :p

Seriously though, I don't make fun of Spanish people speaking English, it's alright, you guys are pretty cool :)

Kevyt

I just watched some quick youtube videos of modern family, with Sofia in it. It's hilarious!

But I can understand Sofia even more than this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY

Seriously his strong accent and high pitch make it impossible to understand. It almost sounds like he's talking in another language.

Eille. Why are you so mean? :(
/Québécois

Je suis desole mon petit poussin...
:p

But Quebecois accents are very hard for me to understand. I tried watching a couple of films in quebecois francais and I could barely understand anything.

SPESSMEHREN

Neo Member
so i asked a guy on okc out for coffee.... without realizing that i don't like coffee. I'm not really sure where to go... does a place like starbucks or panera bread work (they do coffee right?)

I asked a friend what kind of coffee shops are in the city and she gave me ones that are WAY too hipster for my tastes (most only sell organic, GMO-free, free-ranged, antibiotic-free gluten-free foods)

i've never been on a date before! HELP!

Grizzo

I just watched some quick youtube videos of modern family, with Sofia in it. It's hilarious!

But I can understand Sofia even more than this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY

Seriously his strong accent and high pitch make it impossible to understand. It almost sounds like he's talking in another language.

Whoa I was only able to catch some words here and there, like "speculation", haha. He really has a thick accent, plus he's talking fast so it's even more harder to follow.

so i asked a guy on okc out for coffee.... without realizing that i don't like coffee. I'm not really sure where to go... does a place like starbucks or panera bread work (they do coffee right?)

I asked a friend what kind of coffee shops are in the city and she gave me ones that are WAY too hipster for my tastes (most only sell organic, GMO-free, free-ranged, antibiotic-free gluten-free foods)

Don't get nervous over this. "To take someone out for coffee" mostly is just an expression. You can order anything you want instead of a coffee, from a beer to a hot chocolate. Just try to relax and breathe. A bar would work.

Otherwise, Starbucks is also fine. If the place is full, then just order something and go sit in a park or whatever :)

Kevyt

Well first off, congrats!!

Just be yourself. That's really the only advice I can think of. Panera Breads are nice, they serve more than just coffee. If you don't like Coffee I would recommend Panera Bread over Starbucks. I think the organic, GMO free and gluten free cafe's are cool. lol. Be yourself, and try to have a nice conversation with the guy, but try not to bore him. Best of luck!! :D

Keep us updated.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
so i asked a guy on okc out for coffee.... without realizing that i don't like coffee.

It's more of a euphemism than anything. Go to a coffee shop, a bar, a cafe, whatever. The point is to enjoy a bit of food/drink while you chit-chat. Just get comfortable and feel out the vibe while making small talk about what you're having, the people around, etc. Optimally, the conversation will lead back to the two of you naturally, so that you'll open up and find interesting, appealing things you might like about him and/or have in common.

Je suis desole mon petit poussin...
:p

But Quebecois accents are very hard for me to understand. I tried watching a couple of films in quebecois francais and I could barely understand anything.

It's pretty muh getting used to it. I remember not being able to understand anyone when I went to Marseilles in France ahah.

Yay! Just get a hot chocolate or something, I doubt it matters ahah. Must coffee places offer them these days.
Also good luck with your date. ;)

Kater

Banned
Wait, so what's the deal with Canadian French and French French (yes, I made that up)?

Do you not understand each other? I always thought it was the same language.

Kevyt

It's pretty muh getting used to it. I remember not being able to understand anyone when I went to Marseilles in France ahah.

Yay! Just get a hot chocolate or something, I doubt it matters ahah. Must coffee places offer them these days.
Also good luck with your date. ;)

Well yes, I guess... But still, it takes some effort, and time to get used to it. I compare it to Spanish from Spain and Latin American Spain. Every country in Latin America has their own accents, ways that they use words, etc... but it's relatively easy to understand others from say Spain, say you're Mexican, it's easy to understand their accent. The same for Argentinians, Colombians, Chileans, and almost every other Latin American accent. But for French French and Quebecois French the accents are more divided I would say, and the latter is harder to understand if you're used to France's French.

Wait, so what's the deal with Canadian French and French French (yes, I made that up)?

It's the same language just a different accent. I'm not fluent in French, I have studied it for five years and I can tell the difference between the two. Quebecois French is also harder for me to understand. If I can understand 70% of spoken French French, I can understand about 30% of Quebecois French. I'm still a beginner, so maybe Grizzo and Alex can explain this better.

It's kinda like American English and British English, but it'as a bit more than just the accent. Us Québécois use way more "old" words. We also generally try to create our own for new English words (courriel for e-mail, mot-clic for hashtag, égoportrait for selfie).

We generally use less English words than our French cousins (we avoid words like week-ends or shopping, for exemple). We have also have rules in place to protect the French language.

Grizzo

Oh no, we understand each other just fine! It's just that the accent are wildly different from one another.

Plus like Alex just said, there are many words exclusive to french québécois. That's why hearing "égoportrait" instead of "selfie" feels so weird to me.

The french people in charge of all things linguistics tried doing that in France with "platiniste" instead of "DJ" but it didn't catch on and everybody is still using "DJ".

Kater

Banned
Well, it is the same language, it's just another accent. I can't really identify it though.
I mean, there are some German accents that are borderline Swiss German (which sounds nothing like German mostly, more like Dutch) but I can't tell if that is the case for Canadian French/French French. Can't distinguish them.

As an example, Xavier Dolan in this interview sounds exactly like any other french person I've heard talking before in movies or in persona.

Edit: Wow, you responded all at once. Literally dogpiled me. Get it, because literally. With words. I'm bad at this, too early in the morning to think for me. &#128516;

It's kinda like American English and British English, but it'as a bit more than just the accent. Us Québécois use way more "old" words. We also generally try to create our own for new English words (courriel for e-mail, mot-clic for hashtag, égoportrait for selfie).

We generally use less English words than our French cousins (we avoid words like week-ends or shopping, for exemple). We have also have rules in place to protect the French language.

Oh no, we understand each other just fine! It's just that the accent are wildly different from one another.

Plus like Alex just said, there are many words exclusive to french québécois. That's why hearing "égoportrait" instead of "selfie" feels so weird to me.

The french people in charge of all things linguistics tried doing that in France with "platiniste" instead of "DJ" but it didn't catch on and everybody is still using "DJ".
So you do understand each other for the most part, it's just that some words Quebecians use are the old equivalent of the word. So for example in Quebec you say "égoportrait" which means self portrait I guess. Interesting.

I really need to read up on all that. Linguistics would be really interesting.

And the last part in Alex post made me scratch my head.
We have also have rules in place to protect the French language
What do you mean with that?
It's the same language just a different accent. I'm not fluent in French, I have studied it for five years and I can tell the difference between the two. Quebecois French is also harder for me to understand. If I can understand 70% of spoken French French, I can understand about 30% of Quebecois French. I'm still a beginner, so maybe Grizzo and Alex can explain this better.
You studied it? I'm jealous! &#128515;

Kevyt

I have a lot of Salvadorean friends and they have their own vernacular words that mean something different to us, Mexicans. It's funny and confusing at the same time. lol Even within Mexicans, we have our own words and accents that are regional. Like Northern Accents, and words like "Morro(a)" - that I've always hated... seriously... -__- lol.

I mean, there are some German accents that are borderline Swiss German (which sounds nothing like German mostly, more like Dutch) but I can't tell if that is the case for Canadian French/French French. Can't distinguish them.

As an example, Xavier Dolan in this interview sounds exactly like any other french person I've heard talking before in movies or in persona.

Xavier Dolan doesn't really speak with the Québécois accent tho. He even got flack for this after his first movie, people thought it was some sort of snobbism.

Grizzo

Xavier Dolan doesn't really speak with the Québécois accent tho. He even got flack for this after his first movie, people thought it was some sort of snobbism.

I feel like the accent is still there in his voice (and quite strong). But maybe it's just because I'm not used to hearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom