• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
Didn't F5 the page, didn't think someone would answer so quickly. 😉

Wrote replies to all of you on the last page regarding the French French and the Quebecian French and Language rules(!).

Xavier Dolan doesn't really speak with the Québécois accent tho. He even got flack for this after his first movie, people thought it was some sort of snobbism.
So it's a bit like here were people think you don't like their dialect or that you want to destroy they culture by talking in High German. Some people... 😪

SPESSMEHREN

Neo Member
Also, I got 3-day PAX East tickets! Out of the 10 friends I have going, I'm one of 3 that managed to grab 3-day passes in the 8 minutes before they sold out!

And the last part in Alex post made me scratch my head. What do you mean with that?

Law 101. It's a law made to, let me quote Wikipedia:

To achieve the goal of making French the "normal and everyday language of work, instruction, communication, commerce and business" and ensure the respect of French Quebecers' language rights, the Charter contains a number of key provisions and various regulations.

Here's the link if ou wanna read more about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_French_Language

The French / English thing in Québec is a pretty big and complicated thing ahah.

Sai-kun

Banned
We look hot.

cLC6O1tl.jpg

Kater

Banned
Law 101. It's a law made to, let me quote Wikipedia:

Here's the link if ou wanna read more about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter...rench_Language

The French / English thing in Québec is a pretty big and complicated thing ahah.
Oh, so this law is mostly for advertisement, work instructions and that kind of stuff then, probably. I thought you could get some kind of punishment for using "naughty new" words like "selfie". Thankfully we don't live in a Orwellian world like that just yet! 😄

We look hot.
You do! 😉

Hi, we can't let this month end just yet. Smash for Wii u is about to drop next Friday. which is the reason for the season of giving. Nintendo giving us the goods and we all should be thankful.

Caladrius

My mom needs to stop using me and my sister's bathroom. (Oh, my sister came back to live with us, by the way)

She has a bathroom like 5 seconds away from ours with its own shower and toilet yet 90% of the time she uses ours. It's infuriating because she doesn't have actual hand-towels in the parents' bathroom so we either have to guess which one somebody didn't dry themselves off with or waltz to the hall closet with soaking hands and snag one ourselves. That and the obvious logistical problems of having the bathroom being unavailable more often when we need to do things such as shave and brush our teeth.

Also wadding up toilet paper in giant-ass balls. I know she does this because SHE DOESN'T FLUSH THE FUCKING TOILET AFTERWARDS

/rant.

Ganondorf is still a clone tho

If "clone" means " has moves that look like some other character's but work almost completely differently", then yes.

I think the phrase you're looking for is "Not faithful to his canon portrayal", which is indeed problematic.

Kater

Banned
What I want in Smash Bros are some of the indie game characters like McMillen's characters. Blood Tears in your face! Uhhh, that would be fun. 😄

Ty4on

I just watched some quick youtube videos of modern family, with Sofia in it. It's hilarious!

But I can understand Sofia even more than this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY

Seriously his strong accent and high pitch make it impossible to understand. It almost sounds like he's talking in another language.

I think it's from listening to a lot of british stand up, but I didn't have much trouble understanding him.

I love accents and how varied English is in Britain and I find it a bit sad how uniform English is in North America. Sure there are variations, but London alone almost has more. I wish I spoke French and could differentiate the accents. Only one I can kinda hear is the southern where endings are pronounced and everything blends together.

Same here. I actually feel like they're trying too hard with the present day stuff, like it's not even necessary but they're still pushing that... and it doesn't fit in at all, especially after ACIII... But I recommend AC Unity, I would advice you wait for a steam sale or a significant price drop. The only reason why I got it was because of a promotion, so the game was free for me.

If you had asked me if they should drop the present day stuff prior to AC3, I would have said "no" because I thought the idea of it was interesting (execution was poor). But now... yeah, just axe it and focus on the past stuff. Black Flag was so weird to me because it felt like you were inside the Ubisoft studios building, lol. And I'll probably end up waiting for a price drop yeah. I suspect it won't take too long to drop in price. I'm jealous you got it for free! Was that the Target deal?

---

BTW, has anyone else here played the new Mario Kart DLC? My friend and I were off today, and we played it for a few hours - very fun tracks! I like every single one except the Wario Gold Mine one. Very well made DLC at a more than fair price.

Battle arena DLC please.

Kevyt

I think it's from listening to a lot of british stand up, but I didn't have much trouble understanding him.

I love accents and how varied English is in Britain and I find it a bit sad how uniform English is in North America. Sure there are variations, but London alone almost has more. I wish I spoke French and could differentiate the accents. Only one I can kinda hear is the southern where endings are pronounced and everything blends together.

I love varied accent too. Yeah British accents are varied. I've seen the video several times and I can understand him. I just need to pay a lot of attention, concentrate and listen closely. Active listening, hehe. The same for Quebecois accents. We get used to certain accents that we don't train our ears to pick up different sounds and pronunciations.

If you had asked me if they should drop the present day stuff prior to AC3, I would have said "no" because I thought the idea of it was interesting (execution was poor). But now... yeah, just axe it and focus on the past stuff. Black Flag was so weird to me because it felt like you were inside the Ubisoft studios building, lol. And I'll probably end up waiting for a price drop yeah. I suspect it won't take too long to drop in price. I'm jealous you got it for free! Was that the Target deal?

---

BTW, has anyone else here played the new Mario Kart DLC? My friend and I were off today, and we played it for a few hours - very fun tracks! I like every single one except the Wario Gold Mine one. Very well made DLC at a more than fair price.

Battle arena DLC please.

Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant, is the DLC for the 3DS, Wii U or both? MK8 is out in both systems right? As for AC Unity, it was the NVIDIA promotion. You buy one of their GPU's you get a free game code.

Just covering all the bases babe.

i saw Ratsky in the taco bell ps4 contest thread.

This thread is not the same without Ratsky. As for Taco Bell, I'm tempted but not today.

We talked about Transparent in one of my classes today. I'm sold on the series. Good thing I have Amazon Prime.

Kater

Banned
No, Diancie in particular is just shit.
The Keychain Pokemon in XY also had zero thought put into it. But then again, every Gen had those. Magneto and a few others come to mind.

I guess it's not that easy to come up with hundreds of new designs for every new game.

Caladrius

In the middle of Mario and Luigi: Dream team.

So far I'm ranking all the games as:

Bowser's inside Story = Partners in Time < Dream Team < Superstar Saga

The Pokémon she is based on is shit too so it can't be helped
I would have been fine with carbink if not for the eyes.

The main problem with the two is that they tried to mix conventionally "cute" features with minerals, which obviously doesn't work considering the sharp features of rock and crystals. If they went with a more unconventional appeal like the Staryu/Starmie family it might have worked.

The Keychain Pokemon in XY also had zero thought put into it. But then again, every Gen had those. Magneto and a few others come to mind.

I guess it's not that easy to come up with hundreds of new Mons for every new game.

Flefki is actually based around fables that Fairies would steal keys and keep them for their own amusement.

Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant, is the DLC for the 3DS, Wii U or both? MK8 is out in both systems right? As for AC Unity, it was the NVIDIA promotion. You buy one of their GPU's you get a free game code.

You've already been answered, but MK8 is Wii U only (Smash Bros is both systems). The DLC for MK8 was released this morning. Ohh, that's a cool promotion.

MK8 is only on WiiU. I'll obsess over the DLC once I'm home :3

Nice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

I'm actually playing the MK8 DLC right now, Mute City is so good

Mute City is god-tier. Probably one of my favorite MK tracks of all time.

RM8

I never played it. If you want to scare me away from a game just drop stuff like "too many forced tutorials" or simply "too long". I'm an arcade gamer even when I play RPGs :p

Nice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

The best MK track is still Wario Colostrum. MK8 introduced plenty of candidates, though!

The best MK track is still Wario Colostrum. MK8 introduced plenty of candidates, though!

That's one of my favorite tracks from Double Dash (assuming I'm thinking of the right Wario track?). It's really dumb they haven't added it to MK8 as a retro track because it's PERFECT for it! It was basically designed with anti-grav in mind, anyways lol.

Caladrius

That I didn't know. Guess I missed some information in the game then. Or is it something that you only find if you search the wikis?

There's often designs which don't have immediately obvious origins and usually take more research to see the connection about. Japanese folklore in particular often gets subtle nods. To say nothing of the legendary pokemon, which are often composites of multiple real-world deities. (The Xerneas-Yveltal-Zygarde triplet for example are designed after the yggdrasil creatures (The 4 stags, Vidofnir or Hraesvelgr and Niddhoggr) with lore modeled after the Trimurti (Brahman, Shiva and Vishnu, respectively)

Mawile, Frosslass and Magikarp+Gyarados are ones that spring immediately to my mind with direct ties to Japanese folklore.

I never played it. If you want to scare me away from a game just drop stuff like "too many forced tutorials" or simply "too long". I'm an arcade gamer even when I play RPGs :p

The tutorials are about as invasive as they were in Bowser's Inside story. (which is to say, still pretty bad.) I think people forget that even back to the first game they explain way too much shit without letting the player experiment first.

That said this is probably the best in terms of gameplay and pacing since the original.

WonderzL

Banned

I don't like M&L... I have tried, trying to play Superstar for more than 3 times, but it's just not for me. I find it really boring, but I do love its artstyle.

My GOAT track is SNES RR, so MK8 is like the best to me. Cloudtop Cruise, Mute City, Sunshine Airport... I love this game

daripad

I hate quoting a lot of posts but I have to do it :p

What's wrong with November?

I like it but my semester practically ends this month, next month is just exams so I don't have to go to school and I can just stay comfortable at home and study quietly.

Hi, we can't let this month end just yet. Smash for Wii u is about to drop next Friday. which is the reason for the season of giving. Nintendo giving us the goods and we all should be thankful.

I know, I'll be picking my bundle next Friday :)

Ganondorf is still a clone tho

He is fine as he is, better use those resources on new characters.

What I want in Smash Bros are some of the indie game characters like McMillen's characters. Blood Tears in your face! Uhhh, that would be fun. &#128516;

No, thanks, there are more deserving Nintendo characters.

The best MK track is still Wario Colossium. MK8 introduced plenty of candidates, though!

¡Cásate conmigo! &#128525;

Caladrius

I don't like M&L... I have tried, trying to play Superstar for more than 3 times, but it's just not for me. I find it really boring, but I do love its artstyle.

Understandable. I have very mixed feelings towards these games myself.

I was struggling to remember why I never went back to them before, but playing them now I realize that the pacing and gameplay design (over-reliance on action commands over strategy, forced tutorials, minimal character customization) make them very unfriendly towards subsequent playthroughs.

tumblr_n004dr9zAV1qa9vqgo1_250.gif
tumblr_n004dr9zAV1qa9vqgo2_250.gif

still funny

I wonder if they said anything to each other afterwards.

My GOAT track is SNES RR, so MK8 is like the best to me. Cloudtop Cruise, Mute City, Sunshine Airport... I love this game

I wish I could get into the SNES RR as much as everyone else. I hear so many people saying it's amazing and one of the best tracks ever, but it's just so simple and flat. I know it was from the SNES (I loved that game when I was young), but I feel like almost every other Rainbow Road was better. *shrug* Still a good track, though. My favorite is probably the MK8 N64 RR IF.. IF they increased the number of tracks. As it is now, it's a very pretty and well done track, but way too short. <3 Cloudtop Cruise and Mute city though! Sunshine Airport is great, too. I loved most of the MK8 tracks, though.

tumblr_n004dr9zAV1qa9vqgo1_250.gif
tumblr_n004dr9zAV1qa9vqgo2_250.gif

still funny

Who are they and are they gay?
So thirsty.

Kater

Banned
There's often designs which don't have immediately obvious origins and usually take more research to see the connection about. Japanese folklore in particular often gets subtle nods. To say nothing of the legendary pokemon, which are often composites of multiple real-world deities. (The Xerneas-Yveltal-Zygarde triplet for example are designed after the yggdrasil creatures (The 4 stags, Vidofnir or Hraesvelgr and Niddhoggr) with lore modeled after the Trimurti (Brahman, Shiva and Vishnu, respectively)

Mawile, Frosslass and Magikarp+Gyarados are ones that spring immediately to my mind with direct ties to Japanese folklore.
That's pretty amazing actually. I just wish the designs were better so as to not insult the sources as much (meaning the lower tier Pokemon mostly, the legendary Pokemon in XY were really well-designed, especially Xerneas)

No, thanks, there are more deserving Nintendo characters.
It was just a silly suggestion since there are rumors floating around that Binding of Isaac finally gets a release on Wii U/3DS which has me a bit excited. &#128521;

I'm curious though, who is "more deserving" of a character slot in Smash Bros from the palette of Nintendo characters? Don't they have most of them already in the game? &#128524;

WonderzL

Banned
I wish I could get into the SNES RR as much as everyone else. I hear so many people saying it's amazing and one of the best tracks ever, but it's just so simple and flat. I know it was from the SNES (I loved that game when I was young), but I feel like almost every other Rainbow Road was better. *shrug* Still a good track, though. My favorite is probably the MK8 N64 RR IF.. IF they increased the number of tracks. As it is now, it's a very pretty and well done track, but way too short. <3 Cloudtop Cruise and Mute city though! Sunshine Airport is great, too. I loved most of the MK8 tracks, though.

So thirsty.

I like SNES RR because of MK7, actually. Such great memories from trolling and getting trolled into the abyss. :) I haven't played Super Mario Kart, unfortunately. My SNES memories are full of Kongs.

It's Dan Osborne (not sure if gay) and Tom Daley (gay)... They are just...

So thirsty.
The dude in the shirt, Tom Daley, is gay I think

daripad

The dude in the shirt, Tom Daley, is gay I think

Isn't he bi?

It was just a silly suggestion since there are rumors floating around that Binding of Isaac finally gets a release on Wii U/3DS which has me a bit excited. &#128521;

I'm curious though, who is "more deserving" of a character slot in Smash Bros from the palette of Nintendo characters? Don't they have most of them already in the game? &#128524;

Dixie Kong, Isabelle, Toad, Ice Climbers, Marshall (Rhythm Heaven), Lucas, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer (as in a character that attacks by throwing pokeballs or things like that).

Kater

Banned
Dixie Kong, Isabelle, Toad, Ice Climbers, Marshall (Rhythm Heaven), Lucas, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer (as in a character that attacks by throwing pokeballs or things like that).
Lucas and the Ice Climbers were already in the game before though, right? A Pokemon Trainer would be interesting since it would give the player a option between a male and a female variant, just like Robin. I can't think of what Toad and Isabelle could do to attack people. Looking very adorable? &#128516;
Who is Wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom