• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Muzicfreq

Banned
Same, the dialogue sounded very natural to me but I'm not a native English speaker either. The only dialogue that really made me cringe were "epic win" and "are you for cereal", that sounded a bit corny.

Yeah... that epic win part is like a stuck thorn in my brain.
For cereal.... ehhh not so much. It's rare but I have heard it recently.

epic win.....-_-
PDupJk2.gif

Manu

Just finished it. Other than some iffy dialogue and the total lack of lyp sinc it was amazing. Totally exceeded my expectations.

I'm on board for the rest of the season.

kubus

epic win.....-_-
PDupJk2.gif
Haha I just replayed that part again and man, the writing there is pretty bad compared to the other parts of the game. She also says "Isn't this awesome sauce?!"

Why.jpg

MikeDown

Banned
This is so true. I really like the game, but it's a bit too 'hipster' for me.
Well I mean it is set in the great state of Oregon, hipster capital of the world. One thing that kinda annoyed me though is Square Enix shoehorning all these references to their franchises. As for the writing I thought it was pretty good, sure some of the stuff was kinda dumb, "for cereal" being an example, but kids say dumb stuff all the time and it kinda makes it more believable.

fritzo

Good to hear positive impressions about this game! This will make the wait even harder, it seems. I'll play it when the whole thing is out. I just don't like episodic content :( but I think I might go ahead and grab the season pass now just to support Dontnod.

I feel the same. I wish episodic games had a definitive release schedule (ie RE Revelations 2). I dislike the way Telltale does it. So I'll probably wait a while for all five episodes.

Chariot

Well I mean it is set in the great state of Oregon, hipster capital of the world.

One thing that kinda annoyed me though is Square Enix shoehorning all these references to their franchises.
I think that's pretty cute. I wish more people would utilize their assets like that.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It means you're not when you're not learning how to be capable and competent with most standard types of cameras. She won't be learning how to expose, how to use different focal lengths, how to balance aperture with speed with iso, how to print a negative, how to edit, and worst of all she's dealing with a image ratio that is definitely substandard. You can buy very good old slrs for cheap, the de facto film student standard K1000 is a excellent learning tool that would provide her with a lot more control over the camera and her pictures than a polaroid does. That's what you go to photography school for, to widen your skills on all fronts. To learn and use all kinds of different equipment and know which is better for which job. Not to allow technical or artistic complacency.

She most probably haven't got her stuffs ready since they just started school not long ago. Even Victoria was still browsing for a camera to buy on her tablet.

She prefers analog than digital camera too , as she stated so when you investigate the instant films in her room.

Just finished Episode 1, and color me intrigued. Way better in handling consequences so far than Walking Dead ever did. Can't wait for march... so far away...

Choomp

Banned

epic win.....-_-
PDupJk2.gif

Yep, that's fair. Some of the dialogue was corny, some points I thought it worked with how they were trying to get the characters to seem, some times it didn't. Max for the most part was great. I'd never hear someone say "shit cats" but whatever I liked it

What is the difference between what LB and LT buttons do, in the most dumbed down way possible?

Left trigger just rewinds time slowly. Left trigger + right trigger speeds up the rewind. Left bumper will automatically rewind to the last significant event in the timeline (marked by a black dot in the spiral in the top-left corner of the screen).

Filben

sure some of the stuff was kinda dumb, "for cereal" being an example, but kids say dumb stuff all the time and it kinda makes it more believable.
I think that's the point. Also, I mean, in movies or games you always hear perfect voices (and their pitch). Everyone's speaking their lines fluently with a perfect mixed voice. You don't hear any "erms.." or someone clear his throat or just blowing when he got asked. All those natural things. It's always without "flaws" like digital sound from a CD over a gramophone record. And how often to people say dumb things and you think "OMG". Here in Germany there were one phrase I find specifically annoying, translated in english something like "sadly awesome!" ("Leider Geil", was a music title from a band so kids and adults likewise kind of took it a little bit to often) or things like word comparison for words where there is no comparison or it's just wrong, like you would say in english "bader" instead of "worse" or "disgustingest" instead of "most disgusting". Yeah, people actually do that. And if there's two or three weird language uses it's okay and adds to authenticity.

statham

totally thinking of replaying it, it was such a awesome experience and I missed some simple things I shouldn't of. But I think I'll wait closer to the launch of the second episode.

Just started. At that early "hallway" sequence. This game is very quickly endearing itself to me.

I wish they let you pull out the camera and take pictures wherever you wanted and save them to your screenshots.

Edit: What is it with episodic games and terrible auto saving? This same crap happens in Telltale games. I walk down the hallway, look at everything, enter the bathroom - which loads the next scene - and it doesn't do an autosave, so if I want to stop playing I have to actually keep playing more until the game arbitrarily decides it wants to save.

She most probably haven't got her stuffs ready since they just started school not long ago. Even Victoria was still browsing for a camera to buy on her tablet.

She prefers analog than digital camera too , as she stated so when you investigate the instant films in her room.

I felt like her appreciation for instant and polaroids is a direct result of her parents giving one to her as a young kid, and being poor enough not to have enough money for another camera. She does hint at being poor here and there. Like how she'll finally have new clothes for high school, being jelly of all the rich kids and looking at cheap analog cameras in the internet (i noticed that some of the cameras were actually real cameras, like the XA-2 and stuff). I think i should do another playthrough just to note all the photography details and names and make a big post with all that jazz explained.

Also Victoria had a darn Leica on her couch, i think she'll be alright!

ArjanN

I guess the fact that I'm not a native english speaker helped, since I have no idea how a teenager is supposed to talk, so as long as it makes sense and doesn't feel too forced, I'm less likely to be bothered. There were still some few dialogues that made me cringe, though.

Actually, maybe that's the same reason why Dontnod themselves didn't think it was as weird as a lot of people here did?

It's more subtle but it's similar to Remember Me in that way, in that it feels a bit off here and there, in a way that a non native speaker maybe wouldn't pick up on.

Reminds me Giant Bomb complaining about the accents in Dead Rising (and David Cage games for that matter) being wrong, when that's something that as a non native speaker you likely wouldn't notice at all.

It doesn't help that "hip" teen lingo has a very short shelf-life. Something like 'YOLO' which was OK for about a week, then ironically funny for about another, and the week after that you wanted to punch people in the face that still used it.

Mista

Banned
Played the first episode, its so lame. Slow-paced, too much talking and boring. Graphics wise I dont know it looks more last gen. Anyways, i took all episode 1 photos and everything. I will either play episode 2 or just skip the game.

I'll give the game another chance in the future, but I couldn't even get past the classroom scene in the demo...I found the writing to be very cheesy and was cringing numerous times. So I quit.

kubus

Played the first episode, its so lame. Slow-paced, too much talking and boring. Graphics wise I dont know it looks more last gen. Anyways, i took all episode 1 photos and everything. I will either play episode 2 or just skip the game.
Sorry to hear you didn't like it :(. At least you only bought one episode and not the entire season pass!

Sounds like the genre just isn't for you. Have you played similar games before? For example any Telltale or Quantic Dream game. I actually love these kind of "laid-back" games and I don't mind the amount of talking, as long as it has good voice acting (which Life Is Strange has, imo).

How could you not like the graphics though, I thought the game was beautiful :).

I'll give the game another chance in the future, but I couldn't even get past the classroom scene in the demo...I found the writing to be very cheesy and was cringing numerous times. So I quit.
Lol what is this, out of nowhere two posts in a row saying they didn't like it XD.

Definitely give it another try later, the intro is a bit cheesy I admit. I was put off by the whole "selfie" talk as well. It definitely gets better and much more natural later.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

epic win.....-_-
PDupJk2.gif

This game does take place in 2013... And "Epic win" was said. Random stupid expressions come and go very fast in the internet age.

That said...
She seems to take the whole time travel thing in stride to the nth degree. I'd be pissing myself, or raving madly. Maybe have a huge meltdown in class, scare everybody. There may be restraints involved... Luckily I could just reverse it. Still. She's all "Oh, I time traveled. la de da"

Hrm... Do I wanna pay the 2 dollar USian "Get it before tuesday" tax PSN is charging...?

Just finished playing through it, I enjoyed it was tad shorter than I expected, only took me like 2 hours but seems to be off to a good start

Filben

I will either play episode 2 or just skip the game.
After reading your comment I would recommend to skip the game. Talking won't be less since that's one of the main focus of the game. Pace can or can't get faster, there's a chance, and graphics won't evolve further from that beautiful painting art design. You should skip it.

Kadayi

Banned
Just finished the opening episode. Very impressed. Visually fantastic, and an intriguing story-line. Definitely looking forward to future episodes and good to see someone else looking to explore this sort of storytelling game space.

delSai

Skip it. Seems like it's a waste of your money, the game wont change much, talking is the main thing of it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

Do you not typically play adventure games?

She also says "Isn't this awesome sauce?!"

Why.jpg

Because teenagers have been saying dumb shit since the dawn of time. And whatever dumb shit that's cool right now will be cringeworthy in 6 months.

If only developers could look forward a year and know what dumb shit will be cool when their game is coming out...

I know right? It's not even 60fps. What garbage. Talking is boring.

Muzicfreq

Banned
This game does take place in 2013... And "Epic win" was said. Random stupid expressions come and go very fast in the internet age.

That said...
She seems to take the whole time travel thing in stride to the nth degree. I'd be pissing myself, or raving madly. Maybe have a huge meltdown in class, scare everybody. There may be restraints involved... Luckily I could just reverse it. Still. She's all "Oh, I time traveled. la de da"

Hrm... Do I wanna pay the 2 dollar USian "Get it before tuesday" tax PSN is charging...?

Even still to hear it in 2015 it just is so bad.
ugh, what the internet creates at times
wtPn29n.gif

She kinda does have a melt down at the end

You should definitely skip it. Its a TellTale style adventure game, so I don't know what you expected coming into this. That's like buying Bayonetta and thinking that there's too much combat.

ryseing

Well I mean it is set in the great state of Oregon, hipster capital of the world. One thing that kinda annoyed me though is Square Enix shoehorning all these references to their franchises. As for the writing I thought it was pretty good, sure some of the stuff was kinda dumb, "for cereal" being an example, but kids say dumb stuff all the time and it kinda makes it more believable.

The Spirits Within reference was legitimately hilarious.

kubus

Because teenagers have been saying dumb shit since the dawn of time. And whatever dumb shit that's cool right now will be cringeworthy in 6 months.

If only developers could look forward a year and know what dumb shit will be cool when their game is coming out...
I think "epic win" and "awesome sauce" have been cringeworthy for at least a couple of years, just because it was cool and hip 4 years ago doesn't make the script less painful to hear now.

I don't really care anyhow because these are teenagers and they say dumb shit all the time, but those two things really stood out to me as "too much". Overall I think the developers really nailed the teenager talk without making it too corny. My sister is around the age of Max and they talk the same, lol.

Just skip it if you feel that way, the formula isn't gonna change next episode.

I didn't find the writing to be stilted, trying too hard, or even Steve Buscemi - it all sounded real enough for a nerdy teenager who had existed around the internet circa 2010. I'd even go so far as to say they did a great job with it, considering they're a French studio.

I absolutely loved my experience with the game. My only gripe is the sometimes corny dialogue. Especially the
bathroom scene with Chloe
. Anyways, I can't wait for the next episode. I missed some stuff along the way, and need to go back.

Muzicfreq

Banned
No teenager I've worked with talk like any in this game.

Might be some Northwest thing. No clue.

Well different schools and locations breed different people.

One high school I went to was full of tons of different people with different attitudes.
Moved to a bit rougher city and BAM was with a ton of people being all "gangsta" and all tough. Also had the nerdy geek sterotypes, and then the emo group.
I dunno how I survived as long as I did in the second school.

GavinUK86

The only dialogue that made me cringe was when Chloe was dancing on the bed. The stuff she says there was pretty horrendous.

It felt a bit odd how Max barely reacted to
realising it was Chloe and that the security guard was Chloe's step-dad
. She reacted more in her journal but I was expecting more spoken dialogue about it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The only dialogue that made me cringe was when Chloe was dancing on the bed. The stuff she says there was pretty horrendous.

It felt a bit odd how Max barely reacted to
realising it was Chloe and that the security guard was Chloe's step-dad
. She reacted more in her journal but I was expecting more spoken dialogue about it.

Shake your boney white ass!
Dance you hippie!

Would like to play today but in the same boat as others. Waiting for the $20 season pass to hit PS4. Sucks...but oh well. Maybe I'll play the demo again, haha.

Top Bottom