• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

spekkeh

Banned
I do agree with Polygon the writing feels like this

steve-buscemi.png

Symphonia

Banned
Just finished it now, March needs to hurry up so I can play the next chapter.
Why do I have a feeling Chloe will end up being the Rory Williams of the game? First the shooting, then the train in Ep 2? Girl can't catch a break, huh

Brilliant game.

Chariot

Just finished it now, March needs to hurry up so I can play the next chapter.
Why do I have a feeling Chloe will end up being the Rory Williams of the game? First the shooting, then the train in Ep 2? Girl can't catch a break, huh

Brilliant game.
I had to think of
Ghost Trick, where you too turn the time back and have a certakn someone who just keeps dying.

MrBS

Despite being set in 2013 this game is so 90s it hurts. I'm surprised they just didn't set it in the 90s and be done with it.

I really enjoyed this first episode. I like the tone. Game is managing to do this game differnelty enough to make it nice and fresh. I'm looking forward to more.

Chariot

Despite being set in 2013 this game is so 90s it hurts. I'm surprised they just didn't set it in the 90s and be done with it.

I really enjoyed this first episode. I like the tone. Game is managing to do this game differnelty enough to make it nice and fresh. I'm looking forward to more.
Emails, social media and Smartphone features were pretty good involved so far.

And most kmportant: Spirits Within only ran in 2001

Gbraga

I do agree with Polygon the writing feels like this

steve-buscemi.png

I guess the fact that I'm not a native english speaker helped, since I have no idea how a teenager is supposed to talk, so as long as it makes sense and doesn't feel too forced, I'm less likely to be bothered. There were still some few dialogues that made me cringe, though.

Actually, maybe that's the same reason why Dontnod themselves didn't think it was as weird as a lot of people here did?

MrBS

Emails, social media and Smartphone features were pretty good involved so far.

And most kmportant: Spirits Within only ran in 2001
That is true I've let the ubiquity of social media get to me I guess. I think it was still a bit overboard with the pop culture refs but this game is getting hella recommended to everybody.

kubus

I guess the fact that I'm not a native english speaker helped, since I have no idea how a teenager is supposed to talk, so as long as it makes sense and doesn't feel too forced, I'm less likely to be bothered. There were still some few dialogues that made me cringe, though.

Actually, maybe that's the same reason why Dontnod themselves didn't think it was as weird as a lot of people here did?
Same, the dialogue sounded very natural to me but I'm not a native English speaker either. The only dialogue that really made me cringe were "epic win" and "are you for cereal", that sounded a bit corny.

Chariot

That is true I've let the ubiquity of social media get to me I guess. I think it was still a bit overboard with the pop culture refs but this game is getting hella recommended to everybody.
Maybe, but I think they work here opposed to e.g. Scary Movie. Maybe thats why it feels so 90s here and there, they chose refetences that lasted until now, so they won't age as much as recent ones wherebyou never know if they're to forgotten tomorrow.

Same, the dialogue sounded very natural to me but I'm not a native English speaker either. The only dialogue that really made me cringe were "epic win" and "are you for cereal", that sounded a bit corny.
But the cereal was even in-world weird. Chloes reactiong to Max bad joke showed that Max is just an oddball.

Can't excuse the epic win though :D

wouwie

Hm... Played the demo and it didn't convince me either way (positive or negative). Production values are great (visuals, music, presentation, performance,...) but the writing felt very much aimed at a teenage hipster audience or something (selfies, beanies, teacher...)? I don't know why but it didn't do much for me. Which is a shame as i was looking forward to this a lot. Does it get any better or different after the demo ends? I really want to support Dontnod with this game so i might buy the first episode and see how it evolves past the demo, which seems quite short and might not give a good idea of the game.

spekkeh

Banned
Hm... Played the demo and it didn't convince me either way (positive or negative). Production values are great (visuals, music, presentation, performance,...) but the writing felt very much aimed at a teenage hipster audience or something (selfies,...)? I don't know why but it didn't do much for me. Which is a shame as i was looking forward to this a lot. Does it get any better or different after the demo ends? I really want to support Dontnod with this game so i might buy the first episode and see how it evolves past the demo, which seems quite short and might not give a good idea of the game.

Yeah it definitely gets better when you warm up to the characters a little. It's only five euros so not a big deal I'd say to give it a shot.

Gbraga

Hm... Played the demo and it didn't convince me either way (positive or negative). Production values are great (visuals, music, presentation, performance,...) but the writing felt very much aimed at a teenage hipster audience or something (selfies,...)? I don't know why but it didn't do much for me. Which is a shame as i was looking forward to this a lot. Does it get any better or different after the demo ends? I really want to support Dontnod with this game so i might buy the first episode and see how it evolves past the demo, which seems quite short and might not give a good idea of the game.

Well, I can 't say for sure since i was enjoying it from the start, but it definitely gets better as you progress with the story.

At first it was pretty much "this is as good as I expected/hoped it would be :)", but by the end I was really surprised by how good it was. I had to pause at least a couple of times to process how cool it was, haha.

pronk420

so playing the demo i really disliked the teacher guy, does he play a big role and does the game force you to be friends with him?

Finished it this morning and wow I'm in love with this game. Ended perfectly too.

Quick question, I have 3 photos left to take. How can I go back and do these without messing up my save or is it not possible? I'm so weary when it comes to these types of games I don't want to change my choices but just get the pictures.

Pikma

Banned
Dude, this game, THIS GAME, is fucking AMAZING. Loving it so far, if the game does end up making your choices matter this'll probably be one of my favorite experiences of the year.

This was me a few hours ago btw:
Ouch, I'm definitely interested in this game but if the episodes are that short I rather wait for the full game to be available.

duck_sauce

Dude, this game, THIS GAME, is fucking AMAZING. Loving it so far, if the game does end up making your choices matter this'll probably be one of my favorite experiences of the year.

Even if this is another "choices matter" smokescreen game. It is still a fantastic one

King_Moc

Banned
Just finished it. Really enjoyed it. Was unsure with what would be best for a lot of the choices that have consequences too, which is a good sign.

Filben

I guess the fact that I'm not a native english speaker helped, since I have no idea how a teenager is supposed to talk, so as long as it makes sense and doesn't feel too forced, I'm less likely to be bothered.
Same here.

I really had fun with this episode. Love the art design and characters as well although they are bit cliché but the game is aware of that and tell you that by Max' statements ("school archetype" etc.) I hope the gameplay gets stronger, though. That's what I have always disliked in those cinematic adventures like TWD, TWAU, Beyond Two Souls etc. Way too little gameplay. With that quasi-teleportation through rewind they can add some cool puzzles to solve. Hope they will. And improve on the lip animation.

I also like how they use the motive of photography throughout the whole game/episode. You won't see a cut every 2 secs in a cinematic. They give them little bit more time with very neat camera angles and DOF use. The sound design is also great and even begins at the logo parade as soon as you boot up the game.

Yep, it is really a great game so far.

Finished it this morning and wow I'm in love with this game. Ended perfectly too.

Quick question, I have 3 photos left to take. How can I go back and do these without messing up my save or is it not possible? I'm so weary when it comes to these types of games I don't want to change my choices but just get the pictures.

From what I understand, you can go back to "play episode" where there is a "collection mode" where you can take photos and go through the episode but it won't affect your official decisions.

From what I understand, you can go back to "play episode" where there is a "collection mode" where you can take photos and go through the episode but it won't affect your official decisions.

Ooo ok that's really neat, just what I wanted. :)

Hurry up March for the next episode!

Manu

Not far in but I think I already broke the game's logic.

I entered Victoria's room to look for evidence of the sexting lie, and I rearranged the photos in the wall to make the middle finger. Took a picture, and then rewinded to leave the photos as they were. But then I got a text from Victoria saying "hope you enjoyed the picture" anyway. Covering my tracks didn't work.

Hm... Played the demo and it didn't convince me either way (positive or negative). Production values are great (visuals, music, presentation, performance,...) but the writing felt very much aimed at a teenage hipster audience or something (selfies, beanies, teacher...)? I don't know why but it didn't do much for me. Which is a shame as i was looking forward to this a lot. Does it get any better or different after the demo ends? I really want to support Dontnod with this game so i might buy the first episode and see how it evolves past the demo, which seems quite short and might not give a good idea of the game.

It's interesting because the MC is the only one who actually enjoys taking selfies. Everyone else derides her for them, and the teacher goes to great lengths to explain how much he hates modern selfies. The rest of the cast seems to enjoy very different stuff.

And on that front, the only real problem i have with the MC is that she goes to photography school with a goddamn polaroid. I mean polaroids are cool and stuff but you're not gonna learn photography with one.

I entered Victoria's room to look for evidence of the sexting lie, and I rearranged the photos in the wall to make the middle finger. Took a picture, and then rewinded to leave the photos as they were. But then I got a text from Victoria saying "hope you enjoyed the picture" anyway. Covering my tracks didn't work.

Couldn't that be refering to
the picture she took of you with her smartphone? I chose to comfort her and didn't get anything, but maybe if you made fun of her she sends that message regardless of what you do. idk.

Haven't finished the episode yet, but I'm really enjoying it. I kind of wish the animation was better though, the lip syncing is pretty bad considering the game is so dialogue heavy.

When outside and
Victoria was covered in paint, did you comfort her or do the other option?

Filben

I mean polaroids are cool and stuff but you're not gonna learn photography with one.
I think you actually can. Photography is more about composition, light, the actual motive, form (organic, cubic, constructed), color (also how they alter the depth effect), depth of an picture ("image lines", don't know the exact english word) and the image sections (diagonal, perpendicular bisectors of the sides, golden ratio) than high tech n high quality gadgets. There's so much too learn about photography even with the shittiest camera you can get. Well, shutter speed and aperture is difficult with a polaroid for obvious reasons but leaving those out of the game doesn't mean you're not learning photography.

Anyone else who bought the season pass unable to download anything but the demo? If I try to download the full game I get told it's $5 on psn? Do I need to contact Sony again about their bloody store borking a digital release?

Chariot

Anyone else who bought the season pass unable to download anything but the demo? If I try to download the full game I get told it's $5 on psn? Do I need to contact Sony again about their bloody store borking a digital release?
Isn't the season pass episode 2-5 and you have to buy episode 1 independently? I think you can ask for your money back since that wasn't all that clear.

Filben

Isn't the season pass just for episode 2 to 5? For people you who bought just the single episode 1 to try it out? Maybe that's why they want you charge with 5$ for episode 1 and only let you play the demo?

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
those playing this on ps4 i have a question, i really don't mind frame drops as long as it does not look like a slide show but i really, really hate screen tearing, does this game have any screen tearing?

Azdoune

I juste finish the demo. I 'LL take the season pass, i really like it.
Something between quantic dreams and telltale.

I think you actually can. Photography is more about composition, light, the actual motive, form (organic, cubic, constructed), color (also how they alter the depth effect), depth of an picture ("image lines", don't know the exact english word) and the image sections (diagonal, perpendicular bisectors of the sides, golden ratio) than high tech n high quality gadgets. There's so much too learn about photography even with the shittiest camera you can get. Well, shutter speed and aperture is difficult with a polaroid for obvious reasons but leaving those out of the game doesn't mean you're not learning photography.

It means you're not when you're not learning how to be capable and competent with most standard types of cameras. She won't be learning how to expose, how to use different focal lengths, how to balance aperture with speed with iso, how to print a negative, how to edit, and worst of all she's dealing with a image ratio that is definitely substandard. You can buy very good old slrs for cheap, the de facto film student standard K1000 is a excellent learning tool that would provide her with a lot more control over the camera and her pictures than a polaroid does. That's what you go to photography school for, to widen your skills on all fronts. To learn and use all kinds of different equipment and know which is better for which job. Not to allow technical or artistic complacency.

PaulloDEC

I'm about an hour in, and I'm really digging it. Solid voice work, drop-dead gorgeous visuals and a really good control scheme. Technically very nice all-round; feels like a Telltale game with about 1000% more polish.

On the negative side, the writing does sometimes come across as adults trying to roleplay as teenagers, and the lead character comes across as a bit self-pitying. On the other hand, the story seems to be going in an interesting direction, and I like meeting and interacting with all the different characters.

Anyway, a very promising start I think.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Be aware, though. It seems there's a difference between "season pass" and the full game (ep 1 to 5) as the season pass only covers episode 2 to 5.

That's how it looks for the PC version:
FEdncmD.jpg

why on earth is this more expensive on psn than any other digital marketplace? XBL and steam the complete season is 20 bucks, on psn you have to buy episode 1 separately and than pay 17 for the rest of the episodes

rafaelr

the review thread nudged me towards trying the demo and the demo got me to buy the complete season. no regrets after episode 1, really liked it. one highlight for me was the music, really set the mood.

why on earth is this more expensive on psn than any other digital marketplace? XBL and steam the complete season is 20 bucks, on psn you have to buy episode 1 separately and than pay 17 for the rest of the episodes

there´s a "season pass" (ep2-5, 17€) and a "complete season" (ep 1-5, 20€) in the eu psn store.

Due to PSN stupidity, the full pass with episodes 1-5 won't be up in North America until next Tuesday. It is coming, though, and I'm pretty sure? the price will be inline with the complete pass price on other storefronts.

spekkeh

Banned
You can get the full game for 20 on PS4 too.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Due to PSN stupidity, the full pass with episodes 1-5 won't be up in North America until next Tuesday. It is coming, though, and I'm pretty sure? the price will be inline with the complete pass price on other storefronts.
im downloading the demo right now, if i like the game than i guess ill wait until next week to buy it

Well this sucks. I want to play on PS4 NOW, not on Tuesday. So instead the only way to do that right now is to pay an extra $2 over playing it everywhere else? What a joke. No thanks. Why the fuck don't they just sell Ep 1 for $3 or something until then?

Maybe I'll buy it on Xbox but I want the best version of the game so not sure if that's a wise choice.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Good to hear positive impressions about this game! This will make the wait even harder, it seems. I'll play it when the whole thing is out. I just don't like episodic content :( but I think I might go ahead and grab the season pass now just to support Dontnod.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but any differences between XBO/PS4 versions? Framerate/res/etc?

Top Bottom