• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

uQF9q34l.png

Mononoke

Banned
I love how GAF pretends we don't have a little bit of Warren in each of us... or had
Everyone must have had a thousand women (or men) fawning over them with their charming personality....

Warren's probably sort of sheltered and honestly he's lucky that Alyssa or Brooke notice him, otherwise he'd be pretty damn lonely.
Like what's he supposed to do? Use social skills he clearly lacks? What he needs is good advice and a cold shower.

Switch the gender's and you'd all be calling Warren "Moe" or having him screech, "NOTICE ME MAX SENPAI!"
Much like many young boys he's hormonal and 50% of his thoughts are just the word SEX buzzing constantly in his head [/speculation]

I agree that Warrens behavior on a surface level does not condemn him to being a creeper. As you said, plenty of young people act this way when trying to get with their crushes. Not everyone is smooth, and not everyone is as skilled socially.

Problem is, Life is Strange has a mystery plot. And that means the audience expects a twist, or someone that isn't what they seem. It means they are more likely to suspect behavior and magnify it. You are trying to guess where the writers are going, and are unsure when certain things are hints on purpose, or just something in passing.

For instance, Warren says
Canibal Holocaust is hilarious. Does the writers expect the audience to know what that movie is? The movie contains intense animal abuse/violence, sexual assault and heavy violence in general. Someone finding that "hilarious"...might send some red flags off. So you wonder, what did he writers mean by including that line? Are they hinting at Warren being more than he seems? Do they expect their audience to know what that film is, so it's a red herring? As someone with a background in film, I personally found this line to be odd as fuck when I first heard it.

Then there is other things. I think it was implied Warren
photoshopped himself into a pic with Max without her knowing. I get being socially awkward, but uh. That's weird.
But again, could be be nothing at all.

I am on the fence with Warren. What I find is interesting about him, is that I feel the writers go to great lengths to make him ambiguous. Characters in Life Is Strange are often extremes. They are exteme behaviors, and the writing doesn't waste any time throwing out red herrings. Setting up obvious people you would be suspicious of (and as a result, you can kind of guess they won't be the big bad guy because they are too obvious).

But with Warren, he always is ambiguous. His actions are always written in a way that, you can take it either way. The fact that Warren is the only character to be written this way, that makes me think he could possibly be a bad guy. After all, the bad guy has to be someone that isn't too obvious. Almost all the other cast mates are so obvious in their exteme behaviors/caricatures, that I think any of them being involved would be a bit too expected.

Of course, maybe they play the plot straight. There is no twist. There is no big bad guy. We know all the players. The mystery is Max ability to time travel, and the main plot revolves around her and Chloe's relationship. Then the whole Rachel missing plot + the schools shady past (or possible involvement), could just be played straight with no twist (as the sci-fi plot could occupy that). Although I do feel the writers set up the whole Rachel thing + the school, that I feel the mystery element is already there.

Edit: I don't want the story to get too hokey. I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks and mysteries. But there is always that fear of the writing going too far to the side w/ a twist. I'd be kind of concerned how they would handle a Warren being a bad guy plot. I wouldn't want him being Muhahaha im a serial killer/predator w/ this long history of making girls disappear. I dunno. But I still stand by my thoughts that, he makes the most sense in terms of not being overly obvious. Whether he would make for a bad guy, eh.

Really considering an ape-free replay now.
tbh he is more annoying when you do that.

Also where do people get the shopping himself into a photo thing from, it was an awkward looking photo but Max was only wondering if he developed it in Jefferson's class, by which she means the dark room in the back I think.
It could also be that I totally misunderstood everything, if so, please correct me.

Fret

Edit: I don't want the story to get too hokey. I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks and mysteries. But there is always that fear of the writing going too far to the side w/ a twist. I'd be kind of concerned how they would handle a Warren being a bad guy plot. I wouldn't want him being Muhahaha im a serial killer/predator w/ this long history of making girls disappear. I dunno. But I still stand by my thoughts that, he makes the most sense in terms of not being overly obvious. Whether he would make for a bad guy, eh.

Dude I absolutely want this game to get crazy, like the ending of Episode 3 but 10x more insane

But yeah, Warren definitely isn't the bad guy

Reedirect

But with Warren, he always is ambiguous. His actions are always written in a way that, you can take it either way. The fact that Warren is the only character to be written this way, that makes me think he could possibly be a bad guy.

That also occurred to me and personally I think it'd be really cool, even though it's almost definitely not happening. Based on the relatively small number of core characters LiS has and the way they've been clearly introducing (almost) all of them as possible suspects, I'm starting to think that it's going to underplay the whodunit element in the end in service of supernatural weirdness and time-travel conundrum. And that makes me pretty excited since EP3 did it so brilliantly.

KingBroly

Banned
That also occurred to me and personally I think it'd be really cool, even though it's almost definitely not happening. Based on the relatively small number of core characters LiS has and the way they've been clearly introducing (almost) all of them as possible suspects, I'm starting to think that it's going to underplay the whodunit element in the end in service of supernatural weirdness and time-travel conundrum. And that makes me pretty excited since EP3 did it so brilliantly.

If Warren's the bad guy, I kinda don't want to see where they take it.

Mononoke

Banned
Dude I absolutely want this game to get crazy, like the ending of Episode 3 but 10x more insane

I'm okay with it getting weird/ batshit insane. But there is a lot a lot of ways to do that poorly. I still think Warren is an odd character given how different he's written from the rest of the cast.

Maybe he's not the bad guy, but maybe his plot will reveal there is more than meets the eye? Or, he's just a socially awkward kid :p

I agree that Warrens behavior on a surface level does not condemn him to being a creeper. As you said, plenty of young people act this way when trying to get with their crushes. Not everyone is smooth, and not everyone is as skilled socially.

Problem is, Life is Strange has a mystery plot. And that means the audience expects a twist, or someone that isn't what they seem. It means they are more likely to suspect behavior and magnify it. You are trying to guess where the writers are going, and are unsure when certain things are hints on purpose, or just something in passing.

For instance, Warren says
Canibal Holocaust is hilarious. Does the writers expect the audience to know what that movie is? The movie contains intense animal abuse/violence, sexual assault and heavy violence in general. Someone finding that "hilarious"...might send some red flags off. So you wonder, what did he writers mean by including that line? Are they hinting at Warren being more than he seems? Do they expect their audience to know what that film is, so it's a red herring? As someone with a background in film, I personally found this line to be odd as fuck when I first heard it.

Then there is other things. I think it was implied Warren
photoshopped himself into a pic with Max without her knowing. I get being socially awkward, but uh. That's weird.
But again, could be be nothing at all.

I am on the fence with Warren. What I find is interesting about him, is that I feel the writers go to great lengths to make him ambiguous. Characters in Life Is Strange are often extremes. They are exteme behaviors, and the writing doesn't waste any time throwing out red herrings. Setting up obvious people you would be suspicious of (and as a result, you can kind of guess they won't be the big bad guy because they are too obvious).

But with Warren, he always is ambiguous. His actions are always written in a way that, you can take it either way. The fact that Warren is the only character to be written this way, that makes me think he could possibly be a bad guy. After all, the bad guy has to be someone that isn't too obvious. Almost all the other cast mates are so obvious in their exteme behaviors/caricatures, that I think any of them being involved would be a bit too expected.

Of course, maybe they play the plot straight. There is no twist. There is no big bad guy. We know all the players. The mystery is Max ability to time travel, and the main plot revolves around her and Chloe's relationship. Then the whole Rachel missing plot + the schools shady past (or possible involvement), could just be played straight with no twist (as the sci-fi plot could occupy that). Although I do feel the writers set up the whole Rachel thing + the school, that I feel the mystery element is already there.

Just to put things into context, I once gifted a girl a mobile phone so she would like me and lied about giving her a gift that was actually given to her by someone else (they forgot to put their name on it and left it on her desk). So I sort of identify with Warren in that I have been a similar socially incompetent dolt but have gotten better.That said, I can't accept him as the villain because if he's way too incompetent to be a serial killer. The comment about Cannibal Holocaust being "hilarious" can be seen in many ways including how some people on GAF have described such movies as badass or awesome despite the brutal content. Read any threads about the upcoming and similar "The Green Inferno" movie. People like us and especially teenagers don't faint like Victorian women when we watch such movies, we high five each other. Have you never met anyone super into gore movies just for the fun of it?

Warren is a giant red herring if anything even with the Photo-shopped picture.
Maybe you guys would feel safer if he wore nerd glasses and had asthma or something.

If Warren's the bad guy, I kinda don't want to see where they take it.

It ends like this:

tumblr_m8g2tpcdl01r1tij7o1_500.gif

Max is tied to the bed, in her under-things and you have to wiggle both sticks to escape.

Can we make it David Cage crazy? Like Max and Chloe fuse into one super-powered being and fight an evil demon called VORTEX?

Warren is the quintessential nerd who found a semi-nerd of the opposite gender that is at the very least moderately attractive and wants to jump on that. So, typical teenager regarding his interests and lifestyle.

Most of GAF is now young dad's, so we're just protecting our fictional daughter Max from bad boys like Warren

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Warren is the quintessential nerd who found a semi-nerd of the opposite gender that is at the very least moderately attractive and wants to jump on that. So, typical teenager regarding his interests and lifestyle.

Mononoke

Banned
Just to put things into context, I once gifted a girl a mobile phone so she would like me and lied about giving her a gift that was actually given to her by someone else (they forgot to put their name on it and left it on her desk). So I sort of identify with Warren in that I have been a similar socially incompetent dolt but have gotten better.That said, I can't accept him as the villain because if he's way too incompetent to be a serial killer. The comment about Cannibal Holocaust being "hilarious" can be seen in many ways including how some people on GAF have described such movies as badass or awesome despite the brutal content. Read any threads about the upcoming and similar "The Green Inferno" movie. People like us and especially teenagers don't faint like Victorian women when we watch such movies, we high five each other. Have you never met anyone super into gore movies just for the fun of it?

Warren is a giant red herring if anything even with the Photo-shopped picture.
Maybe you guys would feel safer if he wore nerd glasses and had asthma or something.

I think again, people are going to be suspicious of all characters -- not just Warren. In any kind of mystery plot, people always want to guess where the writers are going to go. Behaviors are then magnified. So Warrens behaviors being seen as creepy isn't that far fetched. If people are saying Warrens behavior in real life = a person being a creeper, then I agree 100% with you that people are being overly harsh. That not everyone is socially smooth. That many young people do weird things when they like someone and want to get with them.

But in the context of a mystery plot, it kind of makes sense why people think his actions seems off. Or another way to put it, it makes sense why people could see his actions as a possibility to being something more. And I still stand by my thoughts that Warren is written different then the rest of the cast. He's not an exteme personality, and he's written in a much more middle area. This doesn't mean anything, really. But it's still interesting to me. If you are going to have someone be the bad guy, they can't be overly predicable, unless the plot is played completely straight. Which I guess it could.

There are so many red herrings, because the writing is very on the nose. This game lacks subtlety and nuance. And yet, I find Warren very nuanced and measured. If Warren is a red herring, he's the most subtle red herring of them all. Which, is fine if that ends up being the case. But in my mind, if they are going with a mystery twist, only like 3 characters could be the bad guy and have it be surprising. Warren is one of them.

That said, I'm not saying it is Warren. On a personal level I have my doubts that Warren could work in that role. But i still find the way he's written to be interesting.

Also, Warren doesn't even have to be the bad guy. The entire town can be made up of various bad things. Or Warren could be good but just have a plot that is a surprise.

That's the great thing about a mystery plot though. Actions/behaviors can be taken both ways. If written well, there is a duality to it all. If Warren is not who we think he is, or has more plot then we would expect, the writers have already convinced you he's just an anti-social kid.

If Warren is just an awkwardly social kid, that is fine too. I don't really get why some people are acting like Warren is being singled out. As far as I'm concerned, every cast in this game can be looked at with some degree of suspicion. Warren just peaked my interest because of how subtle/nuanced he's written compared to everyone else. As well as, I do think his behavior could go the other direction if that is where they wanted the plot to go.

I've had that thought as well. The mystery in this story is Max powers. The plot is her relationship with Chloe as well as the impending vortex. There might not even be a whodunit/twist. Since the sci-fi plot is twisty enough, the Rachel Amber + school plot could be played straight.

Certainly.

Gbraga

Only now I finished Episode 2.

I have to say I deeply regret not playing it in one sitting.

I feel like complete garbage now.

At least I've finally awaken THE WORLD's true power! Nerf Max pls

Are the trophies glitched ? I took all the photos in Ep 1 and the trophy for taking all the photos didn't appear for me :(

Follow up : actually I didn't get all the photo trophies...that is because I played the demo, and took the photo (of "Rachel Amber 4 Ever") during it, and it didn't unlock the trophy when I bought the whole game.

Thank god it is an easy one to get.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Haha I love that that Warren creeper pic can pop up every handful of pages and freak out a bunch of new people. That dude's such a puke.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If nothing else, I really, really hope that eventually, there'll be a way to skip dialogue without having to go through each and every conversation once first.

Something like a chapter clear allowing instant fast-forwarding in dialogue, or having a conversation you've already played through being allowed to be fast-forwarded (at least in 'basic' conversations, the big decision stuff could still be un-skippable) or whatnot would be really, really nice for future replays, or if you want to change one major decision after the fact, but there's a whole lot of dialogue before it.

FluxWaveZ

Okay... Thaaaats just.. That's adorable.

Nooope. Gotta rewind back to whatever moment lead to that situation.

I don't really mind Warren that much (though, if that window stalker picture is intentional, that might change), but I think he'd do better with Brooke or Stella or something. At least, I don't really feel like Max should end up with him, but he seems like the type to have her back if things go bad.

Sober

The evidence is adding up; Warren is behind everything!!!
Where in ep 3 is that? The diner? I can't make out the last bit, is that Warren for real?

Also is it ep2 that the creep pic is at? Need to see for myself if that is for real and not a bug or shop. Also pretty amateur creep if he's just using his eyes for some second floor shit
can't you just straight up walk up to the girl's dorm if you felt like it? I mean didn't Justin do that with Dana or whatever? seriously Warren, up your game bro.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Only now I finished Episode 2.

I have to say I deeply regret not playing it in one sitting.

I feel like complete garbage now.

At least I've finally awaken THE WORLD's true power! Nerf Max pls
Someone needs to edit in Dio's ZA WARUDO to some rewind scenes, haha.

SlickVic

Life Is Strange BAFTA Showcase

They talk about the story & game design, and show off how the choices in the game work. Pretty interesting

Thanks for posting this. Always nice to get a little more insight into a game from the creative minds behind it, and it helps to have some new Life is Strange content in between episodes.

I almost feel a bit conflicted on a release date for Episode 4. On one hand, the last one ended on a note that immediately makes you feel "I want to see what happens next", but at the same time, I've enjoyed the episodes so much up to this point that I don't want to see the season end anytime soon. Even if we potentially have another 2-3 months till Episode 5 releases, it'll certainly feel a bit sad not to have episodes to look forward to anymore (until perhaps a Season 2 gets announced of course), but here's hoping the season ends as strong as it started.

Choomp

Banned
Nooope. Gotta rewind back to whatever moment lead to that situation.

I don't really mind Warren that much (though, if that window stalker picture is intentional, that might change), but I think he'd do better with Brooke or Stella or something. At least, I don't really feel like Max should end up with him, but he seems like the type to have her back if things go bad.

Eh, for me it just comes down to this, he seems like a nice kid, cares about Max, and they'd be cute together. I don't think he deserves all the hate he gets.

jgminto

Warren is an alright dude but I never got any sense of possible romance between him and Max, at least with how I played the game. Their personalities clash.

Anteater

I think at the end it's likely that things will revert back to a certain point of the timeline, so it wouldn't really be Max ending up with anyone.

Warren is deliberately a joke/comedy relief character from all those crazy details they put into his character but probably a character that's on Max's side, so I find him likeable, but I won't stop making jokes of his creepiness.

MikeDown

Banned
Where in ep 3 is that? The diner? I can't make out the last bit, is that Warren for real?

Also is it ep2 that the creep pic is at? Need to see for myself if that is for real and not a bug or shop. Also pretty amateur creep if he's just using his eyes for some second floor shit
can't you just straight up walk up to the girl's dorm if you felt like it? I mean didn't Justin do that with Dana or whatever? seriously Warren, up your game bro.
Not sure about the first "go ape" pic, but 2nd pic is from episode 2 and its real cause iw as the person who originally took dat screen cap. I mean I get that he is a doltz and is socially awkward, but IDK something just seems off about him. Like he prolly could hit things up with Brooke, yet is focused on Max to the point of being obsessive. Tell me that isn't serial killer like tendencies right there.

Gbraga

Someone needs to edit in Dio's ZA WARUDO to some rewind scenes, haha.

It was an interesting mixture of emotions, that scene.

Oh my god, she's gonna jump. OH MY GOD, REWIND, GOD, NO.

OH MY GOD WHAT CAN I DO.

*time stops*

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

At this point I was standing and screaming like an idiot.

I'm gonna lose my mind if we get a scene involving a road roller. HELLA HELLA HELLA HELLA HELLA HELLA should be the stand cry.

So much Warren hate in this thread. He's great, theres nothing wrong with him. He saved Max in the first episode.

http://i.imgur.com/Mg3Imdo.gifv

LMAO, are they calling Warren "Liam"? I have to watch their playthrough now.

Top Bottom