• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Dr. Buni

Game is really restrictive and uninvolving from a gameplay driven narrative standpoint.

Really weak opening segment.

Funnels you through everything.

Exploration doesn't seem thought out to embrace storytelling from player agency.

I keep thinking back to the spontaneous moments of exploration and narrative in TLOU, and how it felt like the devs were always a step ahead of you, and thought of every possible interaction could feed you info in a rewarding way.

This feels weak.

Couldn't even pilot that chicks drone around ffs...
:O

I just finished a second playthrough where I made the decisions I didn't make before and I feel like a giant dick lol. I did not expect Chloe to have
the gun David's missing. I thought Nathan was involved.
I feel like knowing that is gonna influence the decisions I make on future episodes on my first file. I don't like it.

hmm maybe I'll wait till I finish all episodes before doing an alternative playthrough, thanks for the heads up.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'm not offended at all, but don't you agree with what i said about the drone? Such things have consequences, and it is far more unrealistic to not have reactions to them than to not give the player the choice in the first place. They also wanted to have a well choreographed flight, which was a fantastic scene i thought.

Of course, it's your opinion, but as a fan of adventure games (the genre of the game, which btw TLoU isn't) i don't know of many games that would involve you a lot more. Certainly not the new Telltale etc games.

I'm not hating the game.

I'm giving it a fair chance. I bought it after the demo after all. I embrace and support new games, but as for taking cues from other games that bend genres , like TLOU, it would only benefit them.

I'm taking the critical approach though, because their last game did not hook me at all. Remember Me was very dull, the writing, world, and characters felt flat to me, and the gameplay was serviceable but rudimentary, so there was no incentive at all for me to finish it. And I managed to finish a very similar game, Enslaved by Ninja Theory.

Again, if they're gonna make a smallish game, make it as deep as possible. Give at least the illusion of depth. I can think of a bunch of ways flying the drone around could have been used. Could be like Ellie's arcade scene in Left Behind. Or it could just be used to spy on coversations. I would be a lot more forgiving of invisible walls than an uninteractive segment as a reward for a very simple rewind/info fetch puzzle.

I do like the atmosphere though. A definite step above Remember Me. Neo Paris just never felt tangible or well realized. Seattle set games now will always remind me of Second Son lol. But it's dedinitely well conceived, artstyle and tone-wise. Really cozy vibes only stunted by the sometimes jarring dialogue, which along with the droning voice acting and facial animations, zap me out of the suspension. The context sensitive character development with the bookshelf and camera geekouts are also a bit cringy and heavy handed, but that's understandable.

On a side note, I appreciate that Max and I share the same birthday. Lol

LeonSPBR

Guys something odd happen, I bought saturday the first episode and now when I went to the store to buy the season pass, it's saying that I already bought it. Is it only me or it happen with you guys as well??

Guys something odd happen, I bought saturday the first episode and now when I went to the store to buy the season pass, it's saying that I already bought it. Is it only me or it happen with you guys as well??

Are you buying the complete season pass (ep 1-5) or the regular one (ep 2-5)?

Certinty

Are there any other console games similar to this? Preferably on the PS3, PS4, 360 or Xbox One.

I've already played Beyond and Heavy Rain and not interested in Telltale's offerings while my laptop can't run games like Gone Home so I'm pretty limited on options I imagine.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Are there any other console games similar to this? Preferably on the PS3, PS4, 360 or Xbox One.

I've already played Beyond and Heavy Rain and not interested in Telltale's offerings while my laptop can't run games like Gone Home so I'm pretty limited on options I imagine.

The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Dreamfall Chapters.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I think I'm getting more what the game is about, going by the menus detailing certain photo opportunities.

I still think they could accomplished more with more streamlined and exploration friendly gameplay design, but this is good...

BBboy20

Played the demo and...man, I may get the PS4 version since it seems to go really well with my audio set though still wondering about that theme.

cormack12

Gold Member
Amazing soundtrack;
Liked it on the whole, some amazing screenshot opportunities in this game, which obviously ties in with protag and photography theme;
Think I cottoned onto the photo opportunities a bit ate and missed a couple so will have a replay. Do your choices carry over per episode and if so, how does a replay affect them?;
The game is about manipulating time to gather information and get through some action/puzzle segments. It's an intriguing concept and I bit at the season pass before playing Ep1. Glad I did now.

Vazra

Apparently I can't make an account there wtf
use imgur or puush.me
Amazing soundtrack;
Liked it on the whole, some amazing screenshot opportunities in this game, which obviously ties in with protag and photography theme;
Think I cottoned onto the photo opportunities a bit ate and missed a couple so will have a replay. Do your choices carry over per episode and if so, how does a replay affect them?;
The game is about manipulating time to gather information and get through some action/puzzle segments. It's an intriguing concept and I bit at the season pass before playing Ep1. Glad I did now.

Decisions will have consequences in the future in the game. Some people might treat you differently depending how you deal with some situations.

Ricker

What? I was one of the suckers who got the "Season pass" but it only contained 2-5 so I bought the first episode seperately. If they are combined now I will be pissed.

Season Pass 2-5 was 15 bucks plus 5 bucks for episode 1,now Season Pass 1-5 is 20...same difference ;)

Vazra

I just have a question though, why do some members here despise imgur?

Sometimes the site breaks stuff but so has been minus been doing it lately. Puush for me seems to be working the best since I can also upload high sized gifs without issues while Im limited to 5MB on imgur and minus.

OMG Aero

PS4 theme. I also got it for free with the season pass (EU). It's really nice :).

Don't think it's sold separately as I didn't see it in the theme store. But when I bought the season pass it got added to my downloads.
I'm in Europe and bought the season pass but I didn't get any theme with it.

LeonSPBR

Season Pass 2-5 was 15 bucks plus 5 bucks for episode 1,now Season Pass 1-5 is 20...same difference ;)

Season pass for 2 - 5 was 17$, this one containing all episodes goes for 20$. So yeah everybody that paid for the first one separated and bought the season pass (2 -5) paid 2$ more that it should.

Ricker

Season pass for 2 - 5 was 17$, this one containing all episodes goes for 20$. So yeah everybody that paid for the first one separated and bought the season pass (2 -5) paid 2$ more that it should.

Oh ok,thought they would even it out...

And I just downloaded the Season Pass(North America) and there is no theme...

jediyoshi

I just have a question though, why do some members here despise imgur?

Compression. They process photos after they're uploaded to save on file size and dergade the quality of the image. It's gotten less worse though so it's negligible unless you're taking screenshots for wallpaper or artistic sake.

http://i.imgur.com/jg0nLH8.jpg
http://i3.minus.com/ibzFCWwcJKH8MG.jpg

Comparison of the same image uploaded between both sites. imgur's compression has extra noise between the grating of the bottom platform and everywhere along the darker sky areas.

Nuke Soda

Played through Episode 1 last night, enjoyed it and will be picking up episode 2 in March. Wasn't a fan of the dialogue or some of the characters, but I am interested to see where it is going story wise.

Oldsql

Played through Episode 1 last night, enjoyed it and will be picking up episode 2 in March. Wasn't a fan of the dialogue or some of the characters, but I am interested to see where it is going story wise.

I felt the same way about the game. I really liked the graphics and the soundtrack, but something about the dialogue threw me off as well. I´m not a fan of the American dialect and their way of communicating ( I guess I´m too old for this ), which of course is only my personal taste.

Let´s see where this is going, I´m looking forward to episode 2.

BiGBoSSMk23

I felt the same way about the game. I really liked the graphics and the soundtrack, but something about the dialogue threw me off as well. I´m not a fan of the American dialect and their way of communicating ( I guess I´m too old for this ), which of course is only my personal taste.

Let´s see where this is going, I´m looking forward to episode 2.

I found it useful to try and not relate to the characters and play the game as a passive detective , just saying whatever and avoiding role playing as much as possible to get people to spill their beans about whatever is going on.

Dr. Buni

I am not sure what kind of dialogue some of you were expecting from a game set in a college. I mean, you are free to not like it, but still.

Choomp

Banned
My Gallery has some nice pics for wallpapers too.

Im adding a few filters to some pics but Im keeping them clean for that Gallery.

I wish I could save these all on my phone thanks these are awesome

Also thanks for the wallpaper you da best

I really wish I played this on PS4 so I could've saved screenshots frickin bleh I might just buy the rest of the game on there or something

Yeah there's no theme for NA yet huh that sucks

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about picking up the full season off of Nuuvem for $11.08, it shouldn't be region locked right? I've never bought from them so I'm a bit tentative.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Compression. They process photos after they're uploaded to save on file size and dergade the quality of the image. It's gotten less worse though so it's negligible unless you're taking screenshots for wallpaper or artistic sake.

http://i.imgur.com/jg0nLH8.jpg
http://i3.minus.com/ibzFCWwcJKH8MG.jpg

Comparison of the same image uploaded between both sites. imgur's compression has extra noise between the grating of the bottom platform and everywhere along the darker sky areas.

I usually upload as png when I can and it stays PNG

Vazra

I wish I could save these all on my phone thanks these are awesome

Also thanks for the wallpaper you da best

I really wish I played this on PS4 so I could've saved screenshots frickin bleh I might just buy the rest of the game on there or something

Yeah there's no theme for NA yet huh that sucks

Im on PC tho.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I am not sure what kind of dialogue some of you were expecting from a game set in a college. I mean, you are free to not like it, but still.
I just got done playing this for the first time, LOVED IT. So good, the soundtrack, the art style, the environments, the decision making, and the story, loved all of it. Also as a person who's in college it's actually very accurate imo in terms of the dialogue. Super relatable.

naeS

I just got done playing this for the first time, LOVED IT. So good, the soundtrack, the art style, the environments, the decision making, and the story, loved all of it. Also as a person who's in college it's actually very accurate imo in terms of the dialogue. Super relatable.

I felt the same way, I loved all of it.

Dr. Buni

So for those who played Remember Me, would you recommend it? I am thinking of giving it a try once I fix my PC.
I can't say I related to the dialogue because it is been a few years since I left college, plus things are sorta different where I live. Still, the dialogues were mostly enjoyable to me.

BBboy20

Some of the acting and dialogue seem a bit weirdly forced, which was similar to Remember Me but this time there's no sci-fi setting to make you question it that much. Maybe it'll be like a TV show where the actors and writer(s) eventually figure out how to not do that in the later episodes.

So for those who played Remember Me, would you recommend it? I am thinking of giving it a try once I fix my PC.

I think you should! I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I am fully aware that it is not for everyone due to the combat of the game. But the world is really beautiful and the memory remix is soooooo awesome (too bad there wasn't enough of them). But if you don't care about achievements or anything you could play it on easy to get through the story quickly (which was cool imo).

But be aware that I had lowered expectations in terms of gameplay due to reviews, so it had to be really, really bad for me to hate it and I have a high tolerance for things that I want to like.

Astral

I'm debating giving Warren the V. One one hand, he's a pretty good guy. On the other hand, I wanted to punch him when he said "interwebs."

Filben

You should. Many people have a problem with it but I honestly think different. The character design is far off from what they did in Life Is Strange, that's for sure. But it is very action orientated and the combat is much fun. IIRC they hired one of the Street Fighters devs. It has an interesting combat system since you cannot just mash the typical light/heavy attack on higher difficulties. You have to use your combos you can build on your own to some extend. Some foes require a different strategy so sometimes you have to break down shields first, sometimes you have to shoot enemies in air or even make them visible at first and you get cool powers. It's not that high stylised like DmC but it has his own well appealing style. The heroine recaps her own actions and is aware off her surroundings and power. The gameplay feature of altering memories –other people do criticise that, I liket it, though– is not overused before it gets boring or repetitive. So it's not the main focus of the game even it might be advertised like that. But just keep that in mind. Focus is entirely on combat since climbing parts are easy as in Enslaved. You actually don't have to think like in the Prince of Persia SoT trilogy where figuring out where to jump/climb next could be somewhat stressfull. This story is not that well written but refreshing.

Overall it has its flaws for sure but not that many that I wouldn't recommend it. I've finished it without a break like playing others games. Not many (AAA) games happen to accomplish that like all Dragon Age games, TES, etc.

Vazra

As for Remember Me I enjoyed the game for the price I paid. (10 on PC)

The game has nice visuals, interesting story and characters with some issues that probably is the localization and not fleshing out more the premise. The best parts of the game are very limited which are changing events in the mind of people (Similar to rewinding on LiS in a way). Combat could be better, the world design wants to be explore but its very restrictive and the enemies are forgettable. Story is ok, Characters are ok, OST is awesome, gameplay is average.

Overall a good game if you can find it cheap.

Top Bottom