• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

jakomocha

So for those who played Remember Me, would you recommend it? I am thinking of giving it a try once I fix my PC.
It's a flawed game, but it's also definitely worth a play imo. The graphics and art-style are beautiful. Seriously, take a look (keep in mind this is from the 360 version).
But the best part of the game for me was the soundtrack. One of my favorite soundtracks ever.

The actual gameplay was pretty meh but at least it tried to do some things differently and had some great ideas.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The sheer amount of stuff to look at in this game speaks to me on a spiritual level.

I also swear Max's VA sounds just like Ellie from the last of us at times.

Cloudy

Banned
I downloaded "Remember Me" when it was on PS+. Just starting now. Atmosphere and music seem phenomenal. Hope this game is as good as LiS

Filben

I also swear Max's VA sounds just like Ellie from the last of us at times.
I think Ashley Johnson has one of the most distinctive voices ever (and she's such an adorable and fun person). I could distinguish her from hundreds of voices. So I sadly have to disagree with you on this one. I think it's more like words and language they use is comparable and some remarks of Max could have just been some from Ellie. Nevertheless Hannah Telle does a great job.

Dr. Buni

Absolutely not.
Why not?
I think you should! I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I am fully aware that it is not for everyone due to the combat of the game. But the world is really beautiful and the memory remix is soooooo awesome (too bad there wasn't enough of them). But if you don't care about achievements or anything you could play it on easy to get through the story quickly (which was cool imo).

But be aware that I had lowered expectations in terms of gameplay due to reviews, so it had to be really, really bad for me to hate it and I have a high tolerance for things that I want to like.
I don't have high expectations for the combat either, I am only looking for a game with great visuals and music and an enjoyable story. For what I heard, Remember Me fits the criteria.
You should. Many people have a problem with it but I honestly think different. The character design is far off from what they did in Life Is Strange, that's for sure. But it is very action orientated and the combat is much fun. IIRC they hired one of the Street Fighters devs. It has an interesting combat system since you cannot just mash the typical light/heavy attack on higher difficulties. You have to use your combos you can build on your own to some extend. Some foes require a different strategy so sometimes you have to break down shields first, sometimes you have to shoot enemies in air or even make them visible at first and you get cool powers. It's not that high stylised like DmC but it has his own well appealing style. The heroine recaps her own actions and is aware off her surroundings and power. The gameplay feature of altering memories –other people do criticise that, I liket it, though– is not overused before it gets boring or repetitive. So it's not the main focus of the game even it might be advertised like that. But just keep that in mind. Focus is entirely on combat since climbing parts are easy as in Enslaved. You actually don't have to think like in the Prince of Persia SoT trilogy where figuring out where to jump/climb next could be somewhat stressfull. This story is not that well written but refreshing.

Overall it has its flaws for sure but not that many that I wouldn't recommend it. I've finished it without a break like playing others games. Not many (AAA) games happen to accomplish that like all Dragon Age games, TES, etc.
Thanks for the impressions! Looking forward to try the memory remixes, as well as experimenting the combat.
It's a flawed game, but it's also definitely worth a play imo. The graphics and art-style are beautiful. Seriously, take a look (keep in mind this is from the 360 version):
remember_me_gameplay__7_gif_by_jakomocha-d79unyr.gif

But the best part of the game for me was the soundtrack. One of my favorite soundtracks ever.

The actual gameplay was pretty meh but at least it tried to do some things differently and had some great ideas.
That looks great indeed and I must say I love the protagonist's design. I will not listen to the soundtrack until I get the game, though :)

Sorry for going off-topic btw

Seeing Remember Me just makes me wish there was a proper follow up to Beyond Good and Evil :( Heck, Jade was a photographer too now that I think of it...

Actually, I'm kinda dumbfounded that they hired an SF dev to help with the combat system. It sort of looked like GodHand in a walk thru that I saw, but... like way jankier :l

chadskin

I'm hoping and praying this game is/will be a commercial success. I'd hate the publishers which basically expected it wouldn't sell well because it has a female main protagonist to be proven right. So far though, looks good.

96% positive (!) reviews out of 3600 reviews on Steam is pretty impressive I think; Telltale's Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands have just 1900 and 1500 respectively, Grim Fandango Remastered has just 400, and all of them were released before LiS. Even Stranded Deep, one of those immensely popular survival games with tons of let's plays and media coverage, has only amassed 4200 reviews so far.

Not sure how good of an indicator these reviews really are for sales but it can't hurt. :)

Furyous

Karak's review sold me on this game. However, I abhor waiting for episodic releases so it's best to wait until the second game and play them together to get the full experience.

_woLf

Finally beat episode one :) It took me 6.4 hours to get through the entire thing! I love exploring and just soaking in the ambiance in the game.

I missed 3 optional photos. I'll have to go back and get those later....but I am happy with my choices, even if most of them are what everyone else chose.

Dontnod are absolutely amazing at setting up really unique stories in beautiful worlds.

Mista

Banned
Actually
the piece of cardboard doesn't become pushable until you turn the washing machine on once and wait for the tools to fall
. So you have to do it "wrong" before you can rewind and do it right.

Oh okay! Because I did it wrong at first then gave it a little rewind

Menome

Finally got some time to play through Chapter One today and loved it. Although I know I've already fucked up a situation when I was at
Chloe's
house:

I saved the bird in the parent's bedroom. I then discover that Step-Dick has a hidden camera in there and is going to have caught the incident on tape.

I'll have to wait until later episodes to see how well DONTNOD incorporate the choices you make into future situations, but already it feels like the little things you decide to do might have more impact than "This character doesn't like you now".

Danj

Finally got some time to play through Chapter One today and loved it. Although I know I've already fucked up a situation when I was at
Chloe's
house:

I saved the bird in the parent's bedroom. I then discover that Step-Dick has a hidden camera in there and is going to have caught the incident on tape.

I don't think
he's actually taping them. I didn't see a VCR or other recorder when I looked at the camera monitor in the cupboard in the garage
. Besides,
if you took the picture of him harassing Kate Marsh earlier, Chloe will make him back down during the confrontation in her room

Menome

I don't think
he's actually taping them. I didn't see a VCR or other recorder when I looked at the camera monitor in the cupboard in the garage
. Besides,
if you took the picture of him harassing Kate Marsh earlier, Chloe will make him back down during the confrontation in her room

Ah, I
stepped in to stand up for Kate. Joining some dots regarding the message thrown at her at the beginning and Chloe's story about her near date-rape have me fearing the worst about her, so I figure she needs someone publically showing support for her. I'll keep the choice that way.

Nice work dude

I'd frame it. Nice work!

Thanks so much!

Nice. I been debating on if I should draw Victoria or not

Oh man, definitely go for it. If you don't, I will.

That's pretty good but you forgot her freckles! lol

Yeah, I kinda realized that by the time I posted it online. Due for a tweak, I guess. :D

Nice. I wish I could draw. Unfortunately I'm not an arty person at all.

It took a while for my art skills to develop, and that's mostly through practice. For instance, I drew Max using a reference, which really helps a lot.

I posted the drawing over on Twitter, and Luc Baghadoust (one of the producers of LiS) and Michel Koch (the art director of LiS) liked it!

VD0ijQE.png

Montresor

Dontnod are on my safe list. I'm at the end of Episode 2 in Remember Me. And I loved Episode 1 of Life Is Strange. These guys are incredibly skilled devs.

Filben

That's pretty good but you forgot her freckles! lol
And I love those... freckles look so cute on women.

I posted the drawing over on Twitter, and Luc Baghadoust (one of the producers of LiS) and Michel Koch (the art director of LiS) liked it!
They're pretty cool, like and replied to some of my tweets a while ago. That's the beauty of independent/"not that famous" artists with millions of fans. They can actually take their time to answer people. You guys know Brother Dege with "Too Old to die young" from Django Unchained? I've e-mailed him after leaving the cinema (and buying his album) and he replied in less than 24 hours. I love that interaction.

kiyoaki

Finished the trial version and liked it. Nice art direction, good music, an interesting setting and premise. I also have no idea where the complaints about the writing are coming from. As a 35-year old Western European guy, this is exactly how I imagine dorky American teenage girls talk. Why, it's almost as if the game had been written by people like me!

I also appreciate that the game runs decently on my crummy old PS3. I'll wait a little for the next few episodes to come out so the waiting period between playing sessions won't be too long, then get the season pass.

brau

Well. I really enjoyed the first episode. Can't wait for the next one. Definitely a step up from Remember Me.

Also, i like the painted art style, mixed with the nice lighting. Very vibrant and colorful. Reminds me a lot of Paranorman.

Some screens.

Minus Album with rest of imgs.

Also... are the alphas in my game alright? is this how the hair is supposed to look?

Anyways. Nice game. Worth my money. playing it on PC.

EDIT: went back and saw 2 of the pics i added are in someone elses common post. So changed them to have something different. If they spoil let me know and i'll chage them.

ViviOggi

Yeah, the hair is really hit or miss and the style's biggest weakness. I like Max's but Chloe's or Alyssa's stick out like a sore thumb.

brau

Yeah, the hair is really hit or miss and the style's biggest weakness. I like Max's but Chloe's or Alyssa's stick out like a sore thumb.

They really do. Thats too bad. The rest of the game looks actually really nice. I like the loose painted look.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thanks so much!

Oh man, definitely go for it. If you don't, I will.

Yeah, I kinda realized that by the time I posted it online. Due for a tweak, I guess. :D

It took a while for my art skills to develop, and that's mostly through practice. For instance, I drew Max using a reference, which really helps a lot.

VD0ijQE.png

Damn you are lucky. I should maybe draw up one soon too

lil

Wow, so much great fanart itt! Nice work, Silverstone and Muzicfreq! (and lmao jediyoshi)

I think I'll dedicate this afternoon to a bit of fanart. We'll see!

kubus

Wow that's awesome :D. Nice fanart everyone!

Maybe I should post mine too. Made a quick doodle of Max on boyfriend's new fancy Surface Pro 3 yesterday. When he saw it he asked if it was Link from The Legend of Zelda though.
sadface

Top Bottom