• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Well I'm team Creepy Stepdad/security guard- Gurl I'm gonna put cameras all up in dis school.

David Madsen's all bout dat voyeuristic life

SbkN8.gif

Daniel will get ripped as fuck in the last episode, beat up his bullies, save Max and marry her with a scene of them riding on a horse to the horizon.

#DontBookMarkMe

Serious. And that hot exotic Spanish accent is totally le swoon. Those rolled "r's?" Rrrrachel Amberrrr. You know Max is totally soaking wet. She was honored to be his muse after all. Homeboy is like a pudgy Marc Antony. Title of the chapter is "chrysalis." He'll be emerging from that cocoon as a total sex god by the end of Chapt. 5 for the shipping to begin.

Dr. Buni

There we go with creepy waifu shit again
Imo don't even need to play through 'em all, found them really lacking gameplay wise. I'd just want to get to Tales ASAP.
I see, I will take this in consideration. If most episodes of Tales From are out after I finish Borderlands 2, I will jump directly to it without playing Borderlands 1.

I had some King's Quest IV flashbacks as I played this game.

Not the ones where I was stumbling around a dark cave with bloody awful controls, no. The ones where I legit want to know more about this world, and how cool it is that I'm a female protagonist and I'm not surrounded by pink sparkles and shit or coincidentally happen to be curvy ass buxom beauty packing heat number 362.

No, I'm just playing a mostly normal girl in an extremely good adventure game with a really nice soundtrack. Cool.

It helps too that it nails the Pacific Northwest small town strangeness feeling. Like in the more character driven side quests of Deadly Premonition. I like every character
except that one who screamed YOU ASSHOLE when I took a bit too long to respond to a prompt. Nice touch

Hope we see more like this.

Nuke Soda

I was having a good time with it, shame my computer's CPU suddenly went nuts. Can't wait to fix the issue and go back to the game (as well as Xenoblade).

Btw, should I play the first Borderlands too? For story purposes?

Borderlands 1 is fun, but there is distinct lack of friendly NPCs, outside of the the enemies and occasional friendlies the game does feel like a ghost town. It is fun, but feels a little lifeless. Borderlands 2 is pretty much better in every way except for the deaths, enemies heads would explode and stuff and it was funny.

Slowdive

Banned
I had some King's Quest IV flashbacks as I played this game.

Not the ones where I was stumbling around a dark cave with bloody awful controls, no. The ones where I legit want to know more about this world, and how cool it is that I'm a female protagonist and I'm not surrounded by pink sparkles and shit or coincidentally happen to be curvy ass buxom beauty packing heat number 362.

No, I'm just playing a mostly normal girl in an extremely good adventure game with a really nice soundtrack. Cool.

It helps too that it nails the Pacific Northwest small town strangeness feeling. Like in the more character driven side quests of Deadly Premonition. I like every character
except that one who screamed YOU ASSHOLE when I took a bit too long to respond to a prompt. Nice touch

Hope we see more like this.

You should try out The Longest Journey series if you haven't already. So should everyone, really. :p

Manu

What Telltale Could Learn From Life is Strange

Great article up at Kotaku.

Every time I play a Telltale game I make the same notes, especially when I play a console version: The frame-rate dips a lot; the game hangs on conversational options; there are weird pauses and gaps between dialogue; and the action sequences are disjointed and sloppy. The newer games haven't necessarily produced improvements, and in some cases have made things worse: For example, the in-progress Game of Thrones series added a distracting shimmer the edges around characters and objects, like it's performing antialiasing with vaseline. As a result the game looks somehow smeared, even on new-gen consoles and PC.

With each Telltale game I play, I have to fight the temptation to simply say, "Okay, that's just how it is, let's accept the technical roughness and talk about the story." No, dang it! Let's not accept it! Games should run better than this!

Choomp

Banned

What I actually like in LiS that Telltale doesn't do is the amazing atmosphere the game has, characters, which I don't think are done in a similar way in Telltale's stuff. The technical issues have always been there with Telltale and I kind of stopped caring about that. LiS has it's heart in the right place, it wants to be a decision based game like Telltale would make with a beautiful town, great character relationships and backstory. The writing could be shaky to some but I found most if it more endearing because what they were trying to do.

Manu

What I actually like in LiS that Telltale doesn't do is the amazing atmosphere the game has, characters, which I don't think are done in a similar way in Telltale's stuff. The technical issues have always been there with Telltale and I kind of stopped caring about that. LiS has it's heart in the right place, it wants to be a decision based game like Telltale would make with a beautiful town, great character relationships and backstory. The writing could be shaky to some but I found most if it more endearing because what they were trying to do.

The full article also talks about that, it's not just about the technical aspects of the game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Scene I'm setting up for another render. Feels like I've been playing The Sims: Life is Strange all day.
Is that Maya? If so can you share the game assets with me?

Edit: it doesnt look like it now that I zoomed in. Which program is it? Still share the assets ;)

kubus

Joining the fan-art bandwagon, here's my sketch of Max.

DR83TBo.png

Kinda funny and ironic that drawing this made me think back of high school, as I drew all the time in my notes and whatnot. Makes me all nostalgic :). I think it's been at least three years since I even doodled... :(

Choomp

Banned
As the Kotaku article mentions, what really distinguishes this game is how much time you're allowed to spend with its main character sitting beneath a tree, daydreaming on a bed, playing guitar. It all feels so unhurried, which I love.

Yeah, that too. Not only can you make your character with the important decisions you make, but you can also do other things your own way, love it.

Muzicfreq

Banned

DR83TBo.png

Kinda funny and ironic that drawing this made me think back of high school, as I drew all the time in my notes and whatnot. Makes me all nostalgic :). I think it's been at least three years since I even doodled... :(

Nice :D

I love how active this OT has been - I'm completely in love with this game and having already finished my PC playthrough the day of release will be checking out the PS4 version tonight! Shame the NA Complete Series didn't seem to come with that dynamic theme.

Vazra

I love how active this OT has been - I'm completely in love with this game and having already finished my PC playthrough the day of release will be checking out the PS4 version tonight! Shame the NA Complete Series didn't seem to come with that dynamic theme.

At the rate it goes and if it gains more attention with the following episodes it might get moved to Community which is nice.

naeS

DR83TBo.png

I really like this one, nice job!

Im honestly struggling to even finish the first episode. I have zero connection with teenage girls or their College struggles so the game just doesnt interest me in that respect. The acting and writing are weak, and the 'puzzles' are dull, the rewinding mechanic seems to be there solely so you can see the outcome of either good/bad conversation choice ad decide which one you like most. I dunno what i was expecting, but it wasnt this. Game just seems far too emo for me, like im playing an interactive episode of Daria.

Vazra

Im honestly struggling to even finish the first episode. I have zero connection with teenage girls or their College struggles so the game just doesnt interest me in that respect. The acting and writing are weak, and the 'puzzles' are dull, the rewinding mechanic seems to be there solely so you can see the outcome of either good/bad conversation choice ad decide which one you like most. I dunno what i was expecting, but it wasnt this. Game just seems far too emo for me, like im playing an interactive episode of Daria.

Daria is iconic.Thanks for complementing the game with such comparison.
anigif_enhanced-30408-1393964014-2.gif

I hated Daria. It was like every single character was trying to out-sarcasm the other, until it got to a point where you had no idea who was even being sarcastic or not anymore

Vazra

I hated Daria. It was like every single character was trying to out-sarcasm the other, until it got to a point where you had no idea who was even being sarcastic or not anymore

Not exactly. Daria, Jane, Helen, Jodie and Mac were sarcastic while the rest of the cast was mostly clueless or moronic. There were some ironic characters too but those were rarely touched.

kubus

I really like this one, nice job!
Thanks both :3

I have a request for #teamvictoria. Can any of you find me a good shot of Victoria that I can use for her character photo in the OP? I can only find screenshots of her with the paint splatters on her face, and I'm afraid that will be weird without context... lol
edit: nevermind, of course I find a good pic the second I post this!

MikeDown

Banned

DR83TBo.png

I lub it :D

LUXURY

Game is awesome. I don't really know why, but I feel more immersed in this opposed to the TellTale games (which are still great.) on of the main points for me is the setting and the art. The way they are expressing that it's autumn is great. The colors and the overall look of the town makes me want to be there. One thing I don't like is the dialog. I know they are teen girls, but some of the things they say we're cool to say like almost 10 years ago. I can't wait to see just how heavy the choices you made were in episode two.

kubus

Whew, ok the OP has been updated. I don't think people still look at it but ah well.
I just realized I'll be in Japan when all the other episodes are released (even episode 2) and I have no way to play them then because I bought the season pass on the PS4.

Hope my Surface will be powerful enough to run the game, then I can at least play the Steam releases. ;_;
I reaaalllyyy don't want to wait until August!

brau

Whew, ok the OP has been updated. I don't think people still look at it but ah well.
I just realized I'll be in Japan when all the other episodes are released (even episode 2) and I have no way to play them then because I bought the season pass on the PS4.

Hope my Surface will be powerful enough to run the game, then I can at least play the Steam releases. ;_;

Update looks great man.

It does have very low requirements, so there's reason to be hopeful.

jediyoshi

New update from the Steam Community page

Community Feedback

We've been listening to your feedback and reviews and have been overwhelmed by the support you have shown for the game. From the Life is Strange team, we just wanted to say a big thank you!

There are still some things we are working through in the technical forums so thank you for your patience with this.

We picked out a quote from one of our community members to create this image. Thank you to thejosmy65

http://i.imgur.com/VkTSA9C.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/games/319630/announcements/detail/116301601342830627

schlynch

We played the first episode yesterday. The game looks great (except for the terrible terrible facial animations) and the rewind mechanism seems to be a great tool, but damn... the writing. Unbearable most of the time. Is it meant to be some kind of satire? I don't get it. Really poorly written and unrealistic adolescence-bullcrap. Bold move to make fun of "teenage vampire movies" after presenting such story and dialogues.

We bought the season pass. Hopefully it will get better in the next parts.

Alec

I love this game. When I was in high school, I remember very clearly wishing that I was...I dunno...important? This game fulfills that decade-old fantasy. It takes your boring life and makes it fantastic. You can finally get back at the bullies, you can finally say all the right things, you can finally make everyone love you.

I mean, I know that sounds pathetic. But it appeals to that part of me. It is what it is.

jediyoshi

Bold move to make fun of "teenage vampire movies" after presenting such story and dialogues.

Specifically from the perspective of reading 'elitists'? It's pretty straightforward commentary, I don't think the joke works otherwise. At best Max herself is a cypher for common sense, but aside from social interaction she usually just sticks to asserting her preferences rather than discontent.

Top Bottom