• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

I bet you such a mod exists. The one they fear! DOVAH-TATO!

Also, random prediction of where the story is going...
This is like Josh Trank's Chronicle. Chloe has weather powers based on her emotions, something happens that makes her go ballistic and create the storm.
She needs to die but Max keeps saving her. However, if you fix your relationship with Chloe throughout the episodes, the storm is minor and quickly dissipates.

I was thinking the same thing recently, in terms that someone could be responsible for the freak snowstorm with weather powers. I didn't though extrapolate it to the tornado itself or to Chloe having them. I'm still not sure whether the tornado is metaphorical or not.

Choomp

Banned
I bet you such a mod exists. The one they fear! DOVAH-TATO!

Also, random prediction of where the story is going...
This is like Josh Trank's Chronicle. Chloe has weather powers based on her emotions, something happens that makes her go ballistic and create the storm.
She needs to die but Max keeps saving her. However, if you fix your relationship with Chloe throughout the episodes, the storm is minor and quickly dissipates.

I was thinking Kate was the one with such powers. At the end when it was snowing she was crying, the tornado might be when she commits suicide.

what do you think is in there?

200.gif

Probably a crown of sonnets and txt files full of Taylor Swift lyrics

I WANNA KNOW WHAT'S IN HIS MAX FOLDER
movies, wasn't it?

OK, time to unsubscribe TotalBiscuit. Guy has some interesting insights, but hearing him being a supporter of GamerGate and his Life is Strange video I won't keep him in my list. The first part of his review was good. He spoke well of the game and of the style and his wife gave some interesting thoughts too. But he somehow drifted up to gender and had to jab how a male character would probably helped Daniel and how interesting a game from a male perspective would be. I mean, he isn't wrong, but he don't try discuss the gender of the main character in any other game. Why is it so important to have this here?
because it is relevant? he was not asking to have a male character instead, just pointing out that the story would be different with a different gender

Chariot

I think you're looking too much into it (maybe given by his history with GG). He just says that he likes when the gender of a character has specific traits and unique reactions to situations that maybe the other gender would solve differently. The example wasn't perfect, but it came to me like he was praising that he didn't have to get involved in a typical "drama" scenario in a cinematic adventure game (aka a kid getting bullied by some jocks).
I just think its the indicator for a greater trait in him, that I just don't like. I know that he is praising the game, but I can't help but feel that he felt uncomfortable with a female character.

because it is relevant? he was not asking to have a male character instead, just pointing out that the story would be different with a different gender
And yet, he doesn't do this with every other game. Only here he feels the need to talk about how the game would be different with a different character, which is as true as unsuprising. It this kind of innocent questions really.

And yet, he doesn't do this with every other game. Only here he feels the need to talk about how the game would be different with a different character, which is as true as unsuprising. It this kind of innocent questions really.
but games with female protagonist are rare, most games where you play a character either have that main character being male or let you choose gender, one were we have a female protagonist is rare enough to be an event worth noting, especially if he feels that the story their trying to tell would be different if the Player character was a different gender, I don't think his analysis necessarily indicates a gendered bias against female protagonist.

I don't want to say you're wrong to have a bad opinion of him, as he is a very vocal supporter of gamergate, but in this instance, I honestly don't think he means it in a bad sexists way

finalflame

Just started the game last night, enjoying it so far. One criticism I do have is that the voice acting is jarringly bad. I'm not sure if the script is or isn't helping, because at times it seems to lack a bit of personality (they seem to throw in curse words randomly just to keep things "real", but they often come across as shoehorned in and unnatural).

It could also just be the mostly cold/abrupt delivery by the voice actors.

Other than that, I am actually really enjoying the chill pace of the game, and I love it when seemingly small things [SPOILER(I noticed the bird ran into the window when I was looking in Joyce's room, so I rewound and opened the window before it smacked into it. Apparently that choice will have consequences.][/SPOILER] will have consequences, and how the game tells you right after you've made your choice.

movies, wasn't it?

Was it? Thought there was more to it than that, but I never thought about how he'd just title the movies folder "Max"

And she does look like Taylor in that artwork lol

Hey, whether or not you think someone's art is legit or not, there's no call for bad jokes like this.
He's being facetious lol. He's admitted to not being able to draw at all so I thought it was pretty funny given that Lil's piece looked amazingly like a render on a cursory glance

lil

Awesome job

That's a quickie?!?! It's really good!

Definitely Jesus lol. That's crazy good. I'm on mobile and had to do a triple take cause I kept thinkin I was looking at a rendering or something haha

Wow, I thought that was a screenshot till I looked closer. Amazing!

Yeah this actually looks like its from the game

Wow, that actually looks like a screenshot. Nice job!

Thought that was a screenshot. Good stuff.

Ehm aside from everyone stating the obvious that they thought this was from the game I am going to say that I still think this is from the game... How the hell do you even draw that??!?!

My quickie sketch of Max
lul

Thanks everyone!! :) As for how I did it, um, lots of practice? Reference? lol I did take some process shots but they're probs not helpful because I don't work the whole image!

(and don't worry I thought Choomp's post was funny hahaha)

finalflame

When you are
in Chloe's room and her stepdad is about to barge in
is it possible to
find a place to hide? I rewound, but couldn't find one no matter what.

Edit: NVM,
moved the lamp before opening the closet :)

Choomp

Banned
Hey, whether or not you think someone's art is legit or not, there's no call for bad jokes like this.

I thought it was legit just looked real as hell. Not gonna blame you for thinking it was a bad joke

lil said:

Yeah sorry if I pissed anyone off that was stupid

Kuraudo

Banned
When you are
in Chloe's room and her stepdad is about to barge in
is it possible to
find a place to hide? I rewound, but couldn't find one no matter what.

The cupboard. The first time you do it, the lamp falls in and you can't hide, so you have to rewind and move the lamp first.

The cupboard. The first time you do it, the lamp falls in and you can't hide, so you have to rewind and move the lamp first.

There's a number of ways for that scene to play out. It's fun to go back and run through different options,
different things you can do in the house, different ways of handling encounters with the stepdad in the past, see what happens when you hide or don't hide

Choomp

Banned
I'm about the replay it on the season pass I just bought on PS4. I can't wait to play it again and get some nice screenshots and make the perfect set of decisions.

Thanks everyone!! :) As for how I did it, um, lots of practice? Reference? lol I did take some process shots but they're probs not helpful because I don't work the whole image!

What is this sorcery? Lol My friend is working thru an animation degree at the moment and next on his agenda is digital painting. The stuff you can do with that is pretty amazing as you've just illustrated.

Audioboxer

Really enjoyed episode 1, this came out of nowhere for me. Didn't really know about it.

Giving Telltale a run for their money indeed.

LegendX48

Is there a way to read
David's files or access his laptop? Every time I'd reach for the files they'd fall into the oil on the ground and there was nothing to put under to catch them. Or is the stuff with Kate all you're allowed to see?

CrazyDude

Is there a way to read
David's files or access his laptop? Every time I'd reach for the files they'd fall into the oil on the ground and there was nothing to put under to catch them. Or is the stuff with Kate all you're allowed to see?

Just read the files on the floor.

CKB3375

Does anyone know how the XB1 version stacks up against the PS4 version? It doesn't appear to be a game that pushes the systems - is it safe to assume they're essentially equal?

Just finished the first episode. What an amazing experience! This game came out of left field for me. I never heard about until I read about it on GAF and after all the positive reviews, I decided to give the first episode a shot. It was a great, and I can't wait for episode two. Telltale needs to watch out. Anyone know if you can't get the soundtrack anywhere? And is the same studio that made Remember Me? I need to check that game out after playing this.

Just finished the first episode. What an amazing experience! This game came out of left field for me. I never heard about until I read about it on GAF and after all the positive reviews, I decided to give the first episode a shot. It was a great, and I can't wait for episode two. Telltale needs to watch out. Anyone know if you can't get the soundtrack anywhere? And is the same studio that made Remember Me? I need to check that game out after playing this.

It's available on YT.

Life is Strange Soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSQREdOVdpKy-_rlzy_0hVB2hHhKYC2W

Choomp

Banned
I don't know how episodic games work.

If I replay the game on a new save file before the next episode, will I be able to continue from my first save?

Yeah, I'm assuming so. Collectible mode is also a great thing, you can play through episodes and none of your decisions will matter.

I fucking love the "breather" moments this has. Sitting down in the park, laying down in your room, etc. Every shot in these segments is framed fantastically as well, that screenshot button is getting quite a workout. (Though the
guitar
moment in your room is an unfortunate example of them cutting corners animation-wise.)

Edit: Walking into a room, turning on the stereo and looking at all the different things laying around... yes, this is my kind of game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know how episodic games work.

If I replay the game on a new save file before the next episode, will I be able to continue from my first save?

It should ask what save file to pull from when you start episode 2 if it's anything like the other episodic games I've played. So yeah, that'd work.

Montresor

Does anyone know how the XB1 version stacks up against the PS4 version? It doesn't appear to be a game that pushes the systems - is it safe to assume they're essentially equal?

The game is absolutely rock solid on XB1 - beautiful with stable performance. I don't know what it was like on PS4 but Id say rule of thumb is you have to assume it runs better on PS4. But I had a wonderful experience on XB1.

Choomp

Banned

Played it on both, I'd say they're both smooth and similar enough.

Vylash

Max's eyes are blue, though. Rachel Amber's are hazel (written on the posters).
not to mention
Chloe spent so much time with both of them that there's no way she wouldn't recognize them, plus Max would've had to stay in Arcadia Bay the entire time, there's no way her parents wouldn't have noticed something as obvious as their daughter not being there

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm really bothered by
Chloe's report card for the 11th grade when the school is seniors only.
What the heck? Also, the school is strictly for seniors and only seems to have 30 students, but still has a skilled football and swim team? It's like they added the senior only bit later to explain the small student body but forgot what else that meant.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game. is it possible to make more than 3 save files? I'm only on my second, but I can see making a couple others. Like one where I'm just a complete jerk to everybody.

One thing I've been wondering, is the girl's dormitories in the same building as the boy's dormitory? I noticed that there only seems to be one dormitory building

I think so, probably the first floor.

Pikma

Banned
About time I made some fanart! :) Had to do it of my Kate:

tumblr_njfk59s5ZU1tfsmcfo1_r1_540.jpg

Just a quickie but I hope y'all enjoy! Episode 1 spoilers:
I'll probably draw Max in comforting her later... or Jesus!?!?!? lol
At first I was like, wtf I don't remember such a scene, then read your post. Wow

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Silly prediction I don't think is true but still...:
The snow at the end is the manifestation of Chloe's weather powers. At the end of the week, Chloe realizes it's her chance to take out the town like she wished. Only with a giant tornado instead of a bomb.

ViviOggi

It's also supposed to be a pretty exclusive private school right? I think it works fine the way it is.
Especially since this way they can make sure you are able to interact with almost every person you meet. I find it incredibly annoying to plod through dozens of faceless extras just to find the meaningful characters. I think the only person in ep 1 Max can't talk to or comment on who doesn't belong to another character's entourage is a girl lying on the grass at the main campus.

Choomp

Banned
Especially since this way they can make sure you are able to interact with almost every person you meet. I find it incredibly annoying to plod through dozens of faceless extras just to find the meaningful characters. I think the only person in ep 1 Max can't talk to or comment on who doesn't belong to another character's entourage is a girl lying on the grass at the main campus.
Yeah, I really like how the school environment ended up, the dorms too. It may have been made smaller for developer limitations but I think they made the most of it, the environment was amazing and the interactions enjoyable.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
I thought I was pretty thorough on my playthrough, but from reading this thread and checking the trophy list, it seems I missed quite a bit (
most of the optional photographs and some of the back story on Rachel
). It's a beautiful looking game though and I'm loving the soundtrack, so I'm glad for an excuse to go back and replay it again.

Top Bottom