• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Xyber

How that you people have so slow Internet in USA?

Fiber 100/10 mbit/s here :)

Why do you have so slow internet, you should upgrade.
500/50 here ;)

how long is this ep?

~2½-3 hours, depending on how long you take finding a certain item it can be longer. :p

Just finished it myself,
didn't manage to save her
but I'm okay with how it ended and I will stick with my choices to the end. Really good episode and I can't wait for the next one.

GavinUK86

OMG HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT

just finished episode 2

omgomgomg

Anyone know how to save Kate? It must be possible because there's a stat for it at the end, but she died in my game. Even though I literally FREAKING STOPPED TIME AND RAN UP TO THE ROOF AT SUPER SPEED I still couldn't save her :( :( :( as soon as I got up there I was like holding down the movement keys to try and go grab her, but it didn't let me do anything except talk, and I didn't manage to say the right things.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157311979&postcount=2895

Violet_0

Banned

I did it slightly different in my game
told her to not go to the police (probably a bad idea in hindsight), that I'm collecting evidence against Nathan and that we were friends
protected her from David
picked up the phone
wiped the slate, wiped the link from the mirror
reminded her of her sisters
didn't get the bible quote option

btw: regarding David
in the hall he was all kind, understanding and apologetic to me, even saying that smoking weed is really not such a big deal, then a few minutes later in the principal office he suddenly goes all out on me after I just saved a student, for no apparent reason

_Ryo_

Looks like the choices in episode two could have a pretty big impact on episode three and the rest of the series.

If Kate stays alive through the rest of the episodes, and has some significant scenes instead of being written off immediately ( like has happened with other recent choice based adventure games )I would have to say dontnod have pulled of one of the best modern adventure games to date.

Also, things should play out a bit differently across playthroughs for the final choice, right? I mean getting yourself suspended could mean you don't go to school at all in episode three, getting Nathan suspended could make much more harassment from him and Victory, and getting your teacher not being able to do the heroes thing could mean he holds a bit more resentment towards Max. Though it could also cause him to think a bit more deeply about how he's been acting and support Kate and Max more. The police being involved with Nathan feels like it could change things drastically as well.

JordanKZ

I adore this game. I really hope it keeps up with this quality for the next few months.

Shit man. I cannot believe I didn't manage to save Kate.

At first I was like "surely she was just going to die, there's no good way out of this.". Apparently, I'm in the 20% that didn't manage it. Fuuuuuck.

chadskin

If Kate stays alive through the rest of the episodes, and has some significant scenes instead of being written off immediately ( like has happened with other recent choice based adventure games )I would have to say dontnod have pulled of one of the best modern adventure games to date.

That's what I'm wondering about as well. But my guess would be that they'll write her out of the game in the next episode, a la "Kate had to go to a mental health institution" or something like that and we'll never see her again.

_Ryo_

Question in regards to David's attitude at the end.
Where was David before Max went up to the top of the building to save Kate? If David was outside and saw Max far away from the entrance, he would be very suspicious of her being able to be able to get to the roof so soon. Instead of rewinding time, Max "paused it?" and to people that were observing Max, to them it would appear as if she just teleported to the roof, disappearing right in front of their eyes. Witnessing something so bizarre would cause David to have some very strange feelings about Max and cause him to treat her with a bit of contempt. He would be afraid to bring any of his suspicions up to anyone except those he feels may be involved somehow (Rachel, Kate, Chloe, Victoria, Nathan) because, well, people would label him insane, being labeled as insane plus him harassing Kate would shed a very bad light on him. Though, this only really matters if David was outside at the same time Max was and he saw her.

Goddamn at the first choice in episode 2. Dontnod just went straight for the gut punch, I'm so conflicted about which option to choose...

It's obvious what happened, but it'll be hard to prove...but that cunt needs to exposed.

Gah. Dammit Dontnod...

Question in regards to David's attitude at the end.
Where was David before Max went up to the top of the building to save Kate? If David was outside and saw Max far away from the entrance, he would be very suspicious of her being able to be able to get to the roof so soon. Instead of rewinding time, Max "paused it?" and to people that were observing Max, to them it would appear as if she just teleported to the roof, disappearing right in front of their eyes. Witnessing something so bizarre would cause David to have some very strange feelings about Max and cause him to treat her with a bit of contempt. He would be afraid to bring any of his suspicions up to anyone except those he feels may be involved somehow (Rachel, Kate, Chloe, Victoria, Nathan) because, well, people would label him insane, being labeled as insane plus him harassing Kate would shed a very bad light on him. Though, this only really matters if David was outside at the same time Max was and he saw her.

IIRC, he was running towards the Girls Dorm and was right outside the entrance when you paused time.

Vylash

jesus christ that episode

I found it very weird that they tried to humanize David when you talk to him in the school but he's back to being Detective David Dickhead when you're talking to him in the office. Also super glad i decided to make Kate a priority and that I managed to save her, ended up reporting Nathan in the end even though I expect nothing to come of it. Seems like Mr Jefferson had a closer relationship with Rachel Amber than I thought, guess he is involved somehow, also I wonder what's up with those red folders they keep showing at the end.

and another long month wait begins

Corpekata

Banned
jesus christ that episode

I found it very weird that they tried to humanize David when you talk to him in the school but he's back to being Detective David Dickhead when you're talking to him in the office. Also super glad i decided to make Kate a priority and that I managed to save her, ended up reporting Nathan in the end even though I expect nothing to come of it. Seems like Mr Jefferson had a closer relationship with Rachel Amber than I thought, guess he is involved somehow, also I wonder what's up with those red folders they keep showing at the end.

and another long month wait begins

Yeah there was some pretty awkward handling of exposition and "character development" this episode. Lots of people having conversations with Max that to me didn't make much sense.
Why is David explaining why he hit Chloe to someone he barely knows? Just some really awkward attempts to display character motivations it seemed like.

chadskin

Can anyone tell me where optional photo 9 is?
I can't seem to find it

In the high school, find Warren in the science lab opposite to the photography classroom. Talk to him, he'll ask you if he should use Sodium or Potassium. Tell him Potassium, wait for the explosion. Rewind. Talk to him again, now tell him to use "Lots of Potassium" and wait for the bigger explosion. Rewind again. Talk to the teacher and then choose "Experiment", she'll tell you you need Chlorine for the experiment. Then head back to Warren, talk to him and tell him he should use Chlorine. And then take a picture of Warren. :)

Yeah there was some pretty awkward handling of exposition and "character development" this episode. Lots of people having conversations with Max that to me didn't make much sense.
Why is David explaining why he hit Chloe to someone he barely knows? Just some really awkward attempts to display character motivations it seemed like.

I do not know but maybe he was just embarrassed by what had happened.

Can anyone tell me where optional photo 9 is?
I can't seem to find it

You have to complete the experiment with Warren (in the Science Room before meeting with the teacher) by talking to him to find out the choices the talk to Miss Grant (at the front of the room) to tell how properly finish the experiment. After that talk to Warren again choose the new option and you should be able to find a photo opportunity after.

cafemomo

In the high school, find Warren in the science lab opposite to the photography classroom. Talk to him, he'll ask you if he should use Sodium or Potassium. Tell him Potassium, wait for the explosion. Rewind. Talk to him again, now tell him to use "Lots of Potassium" and wait for the bigger explosion. Rewind again. Talk to the teacher and then choose "Experiment", she'll tell you you need Chlorine for the experiment. Then head back to Warren, talk to him and tell him he should use Chlorine. And then take a picture of Warren. :)

Thank you. I was searching all over the place pressing Square lol

DigtialT

Woo, that episode was a doozy!

Cloe was real irrational this episode. Like that phone call with Kate, what the fuck Cloe? You can't handle not being the center of attention for a minute? Also what the fuck Max, why didn't you try and explain the situation instead of just letting Cloe walk all over you?

Then the gun scene? Really Cloe? You are really angry that your friend didn't try and shoot a live (albeit empty, but they didn't know that) gun at someone?

And the train, unless its the beginning of a "fated to die" thing with Cloe which would be interesting, felt really forced and unnecessary.

Everything with Kate was interesting, and that ending was powerful. I ended up saving her. I reported Nathan at the end because fuck that kid, and because the Other two choices just felt like shit(all three of them I didnt want to do)

Corpekata

Banned
Woo, that episode was a doozy!

Cloe was real irrational this episode. Like that phone call with Kate, what the fuck Cloe? You can't handle not being the center of attention for a minute? Also what the fuck Max, why didn't you try and explain the situation instead of just letting Cloe walk all over you?

Then the gun scene? Really Cloe? You are really angry that your friend didn't try and shoot a live (albeit empty, but they didn't know that) gun at someone?

And the train, unless its the beginning of a "fated to die" thing with Cloe which would be interesting, felt really forced and unnecessary.

Everything with Kate was interesting, and that ending was powerful. I ended up saving her. I reported Nathan at the end because fuck that kid, and because the Other two choices just felt like shit(all three of them I didnt want to do)

These examples you give are what I mean by them trying too hard to force you to rethink your choices. Characters just act way out of character to try and get you to feel some angst over your choices but it felt very manufactured in most cases this episode.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
That was great! I had a lot more uncertainty about my choices this time. Hopefully they turn out ok. I guess I'll find out in a couple of months!

Yes! I just finished episode 2. I was
able to save Kate thankfully!

I'm so excited for the third episode and I'm anxious about how my choices will play out. This episode had much harder choices, I was very torn on many of them.

I also loved that they have a support website for those who may need it. Here is it for anyone who may need it. :)

lil

JUST FINISHED IT I'M SWEATING ahhhhh
saved kate bby of course

also Dana is such a cutie

A lot of neat minor characters in this one, I think I'm gonna start a little portrait series of them cause I was inspired c:

Hikami

Didn't enjoy this episode as much as the first one personally.

Some characters are just starting to get really annoying.. Chloe in particular.

Only part that really stood out to me was Max not being able to use her powers when trying to save Kate. I was like "Shit, I really can't fuck up now" Somehow managed to save her even though I didn't pick most of the right choices earlier (answering the phone, police, etc)

But still in it for the long run, Episode 3 soon please.

lil

Hey Warren haters
Max called him cute in my playthrough haaaaaaa. He's all mine now fight me Brooke

It also seems I'm of the only 30% who
told Kate to report to the police. I didn't think anything would come of it, but I wanted to make her feel good and like she was doing something about clearing her name. I knew there was a chance she would kill herself with the noose and all, so I did everything I could. I'm walking a dangerous line now though, ratting out Nathan at all times. I've already gotten threatening messages lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WELP

I failed to save Kate though I was on her side for almost everything. Intervened in episode 1, wiped her board, wiped the url off the window, answered her call, etc. but the police thing seems like it probably hurt since that seemed like a bad idea to go towards with no evidence.

I blamed Nathan because fuck him. Goddamn.

I do agree some parts of this felt a little off but I really liked it overall. The biggest thing was
the phone call 'choice' felt incredibly forced, why the hell did Chloe get so pissy there? It's totally normal to just answer your phone even in a situation like this and have a short talk and say you can talk more later. If she didn't want to get caught in the diner just walk out while you answer the phone.

Chaos17

I liked the overall episode but I didn't clicked at all with Chloe in this episode.
Wanting to abuse Max power when she getting nosebleed ?
That was incensitive, at least she is not taking lighty fainting.
And the last past when you had to found the bottles, totally broke the immersion for me.

WELP

I failed to save Kate though I was on her side for almost everything. Intervened in episode 1, wiped her board, wiped the url off the window, answered her call, etc. but the police thing seems like it probably hurt since that seemed like a bad idea to go towards with no evidence.

I blamed Nathan because fuck him. Goddamn.

I do agree some parts of this felt a little off but I really liked it overall. The biggest thing was
the phone call 'choice' felt incredibly forced, why the hell did Chloe get so pissy there? It's totally normal to just answer your phone even in a situation like this and have a short talk and say you can talk more later. If she didn't want to get caught in the diner just walk out while you answer the phone.
I agree with and now that I finished the episode I will
definitly answer that call because Chloe so not deserve those seconds.

Just finished episode 2. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CHOICES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I KNEW not taking the photo of David laying into Kate would come back to bite me in the ass, I fucking knew it. I'm curious, though, if you can show that picture to Mr. Jefferson before the meeting with Principal Woods at the end, and maybe get to accus both David and someone else.

Re: Kate. Told her not to go to the police, which I think was the right call in light of Jefferson being an absolute fucking dick when you talk to him about Kate later and he's all "well maybe she deserved having her life ruined by a viral video, did you ever think about that?" Seriously, fuck Jefferson, what a creepy asshole. Took her call in the diner because Chloe will live, geez. Made it to the roof, told her we were friends, reminded her of her dad (the only person who seemed to write her a note about how he loved her and didn't throw in some qualification), decided to go with Matthew despite the quote looking like an invitation to suicide (I cheated and took screenshots of those bible pages earlier because how the hell were they not going to be important later). That part was super tense.

And then at the last choice, I just sat there for a while trying to decide between Nathan and David. I really get the feeling neither option would've been good, and pointing the finger at Jefferson a) wouldn't make sense, b) seems wrong based on what I know were the factors leading to Kate's attempt, and c) would probably get Kate painted as hysterical even if everyone took my accusation at face value.

Finally: Dear Warren, take your filthy hands off me. Signed, Max.

I imagine this is how people felt about choices in The Walking Dead, which I have yet to play: the sense of dread that neither choice is the right one but one of them is definitely worse than the other, and there's no good way to know which is the worse one. That's not a bad feat, given Max can literally rewind time.

It's a symptom of being predisposed to devalue people as soon as they give even the smallest indication of not caring about her as she wish they would. That's the kind of person Chloe is, she doesn't want to be hurt so she pushes people away as soon as she feels like someone might not care about her as much as she cares about them.

She got the baggage man.

bigkrev

Bottle puzzle aside (seriously, took me FOREVER to find the one by the campfire, even after I used a guide to find all of them), this was a pretty great episode.

I did not answer the Kate's call, and she died my first time through. I went back and was able to save her by changing my answer from "there are tons of videos online" to "we can beat the bullies" or something like that.

Also, Warren is the perfect mix of adorkable charm, and I love him

This is an interesting perspective on the episode - note it is FULL OF SPOILERS, you have been warned:

http://indiehaven.com/life-is-strange-episode-2-a-serious-and-spoiler-filled-discussion-in-place-of-a-review/

That made me rethink one part of the episode a little bit.
I felt awful about the author saying the game was reminding them that they had failed to save someone from suicide, and then also telling them "look at how many other people succeeded where you failed!" There's a weird conflict between the (I think false) belief that you could actually save someone from suicide if you just knew the right things to say, versus the (I think equally false) belief that because you didn't know the right things to say, you failed someone who took their own life. So while I am super glad to have made "the right choices" in that section, that's now tempered a bit by the gamification of suicide prevention and how bizarre and weird that is.

On a different note, I would like to remind you all that #teamwaffle is the one true team.

Chaos17

Nathan deserved a good slap in the face.
He was too arrogant, he started to harass Max (sending death trhaets to her phones, writing also in her room) and let's not forget he killed Cloe in ep 1.
Somebody had to put him in his place.
I was happy when he got suspended.
David is maybe a bit agressive but at end I think Max is getting the wrong picture of him.
Yeah, he slapped Chloe that was wrong but I really think he is trying to get proof against the Vortex Club. But I don't know why he was so focused on Kate, though.

Also Chloe is making things diffcult for everybody, Max included. That was clear to me in this episode.
That's the third time that she tried to make Max guilty to not have took the "rebel" act like shooting on Frank or answering the call or to not have covered for her when David showed up.
But thanks, she is not 100% bad so she still say things like "it's okay, no problem" to Max.
If she didn't, I would've asked the dev to make a route where I can chose to not interact with her.

KazenY2J

FUCK
The choices were so much difficult in this episode compared to the first. I was irate when I found out you can save Kate at the end and I didn't, like FUCK.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I posted this in the spoiler thread thinking it was the OT lol, I'll ask here:

Any chance this was get a retail release on console after the episodes are all done (like Resident Evil Revelations 2 did)? I don't do digital but I'm really interested in this

Nathan deserved a good slap in the face.
He was too arrogant, he started to harass Max (sending death trhaets to her phones, writing also in her room) and let's not forget he killed Cloe in ep 1.
Somebody had to put him in his place.
I was happy when he got suspended.
David is maybe a bit agressive but at end I think Max is getting the wrong picture of him.
Yeah, he slapped Chloe that was wrong but I really think he is trying to get proof against the Vortex Club. But I don't know why he was so focused on Kate, though.

Also Chloe is making things diffcult for everybody, Max included. That was clear to me in this episode.
That's the third time that she tried to make Max guilty to not have took the "rebel" act like shooting on Frank or answering the call or to not have covered for her when David showed up.
But thanks, she is not 100% bad so she still say things like "it's okay, no problem" to Max.
If she didn't, I would've asked the dev to make a route where I can chose to not interact with her.

gaaaaaaaaah the quote broke my spoiler tags fixitfixitfixit

Top Bottom