• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

RaptorGTA

So finally decided to bite and try this game. Episode one was really good...but I gotta ask everyone. I haven't played Episode two yet...how much of an impact do your choices really make?

Is it noticeable in episode two?

jakomocha

Haven't played Ep. 2 yet, I'm trying to hold off till Spring Break which is in less then a week but I reaaaallllllyyyy want to play it.

How much of an impact do choices from Episode 1 seem to have so far? For those of you who played Episode 2, which episode is your favorite?

CzarTim

David is maybe a bit agressive but at end I think Max is getting the wrong picture of him.
Yeah, he slapped Chloe that was wrong but I really think he is trying to get proof against the Vortex Club. But I don't know why he was so focused on Kate, though.

Agreed. I think
David will end up being a good guy, all things considered.

Kinsei

Banned
I spent 5 minutes debating on whether or not I should water the plant. I was scared I would over water it.

Major Spoilers:
As someone who has attempted suicide multiple times in the past, the entire thing with Kate really hit close to home with me. I'm still not over it, and I just know had I failed to talk her out of it I would have started crying.

My choices for this episode:
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/713032991131126394/02C8E7DAB6FD95B84FE547BC78EB6D803B103ADE/
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/713032991131127520/C025759A10EA0E52C9FD8FCE4671DE49FBBE2540/

Haven't played Ep. 2 yet, I'm trying to hold off till Spring Break which is in less then a week but I reaaaallllllyyyy want to play it.

How much of an impact do choices from Episode 1 seem to have so far? For those of you who played Episode 2, which episode is your favorite?

For personal reasons I like Episode 2 more. If I told you said reasons it would spoil something very very big.

They do have an effect, but it didn;t seem very big.. at least so far. The things they do effect seem to be building up to something, so I think we'll need to wait until Episode 5 to see the full effect.

lil

if you want more evidence of how chloe is a brat
she parked sideways in the disabled parking, betch im disabled and i don't even park there

Also, Warren is the perfect mix of adorkable charm, and I love him

BLESS you, for a second I thought I was gonna have to be the president, vice president, secretary and treasurer of the Warren Fan Club.

So finally decided to bite and try this game. Episode one was really good...but I gotta ask everyone. I haven't played Episode two yet...how much of an impact do your choices really make?

Is it noticeable in episode two?

The choices make a HUGE difference, not so much individually but aggregated. Your choices honestly might impact how you enjoy episode 2. I found it extremely satisfying.

Ep 2 has better highs but the middle bits were not very interesting, whereas in ep1 everything was new and dense with information. But that's the nature of pacing.

I noticed that the choices from the first game were very subtly addressed and flowed into the writing in a way that was particularly seamless at times, though obvious in others. By and large i enjoy how they addressed the matter. The story isn't evidently branching given what you choose but it has them influence other unexpected stuff in unexpected ways. Shit is gonna go off the rails after this episode though.

The thing i liked the most is that the characters are quite a bit smarter than the mechanics of the game, they usually see through Max in a way that does not come through in the choices you make. They simplify the story so that each choice seems distinct, but expect the characters to act in a way that betrays that simplicity. That was something that i felt was particularly evident in ep2.

JJP12

Just finished ep 2 and wow was it good. I'm really glad that length/quality-wise it was basically on par with ep 1.

When they show your choices at the end,
I was absolutely horrified to see that it was possible to let Kate die. When I first saw her on the roof and then her falling, that really sent chills down my spine. Really scary stuff. I've been making Kate a priority since episode 1 when David was bullying her. In hindsight it seems that taking a picture instead of intervening may have helped me out in ep 2 when Mr. Jefferson and the Principal asked for proof. But I'm just glad I was able to save her in my game. The stats on saving her are about 50/50 right now. It also seems like I was in the minority on the final choice. I didn't want to blame Nathan because I knew he would get out of it so I chose to blame David instead. I may be mistaken, but it seemed like David was crying in Joyces arms at the very end. Not sure why though but maybe he does care.

This game will probably be a goty contender for me and May cannot come soon enough!

RaptorGTA

Ep 2 has better highs but the middle bits were not very interesting, whereas in ep1 everything was new and dense with information. But that's the nature of pacing.

I noticed that the choices from the first game were very subtly addressed and flowed into the writing in a way that was particularly seamless at times, though obvious in others. By and large i enjoy how they addressed the matter. The story isn't evidently branching given what you choose but it has them influence other unexpected stuff in unexpected ways. Shit is gonna go off the rails after this episode though.

The thing i liked the most is that the characters are quite a bit smarter than the mechanics of the game, they usually see through Max in a way that does not come through in the choices you make. They simplify the story so that each choice seems distinct, but expect the characters to act in a way that betrays that simplicity. That was something that i felt was particularly evident in ep2.

Thank you to everyone who replied. To late in the day to try Episode two tonight..ill have to play tomorrow. Cant wait!

Kinsei

Banned
Just finished ep 2 and wow was it good. I'm really glad that length/quality-wise it was basically on par with ep 1.

I was absolutely horrified to see that it was possible to let Kate die. When I first saw her on the roof and then her falling, that really sent chills down my spine. Really scary stuff. I've been making Kate a priority since episode 1 when David was bullying her. In hindsight it seems that taking a picture instead of intervening may have helped me out in ep 2 when Mr. Jefferson and the Principal asked for proof. But I'm just glad I was able to save her in my game. The stats on saving her are about 50/50 right now. It also seems like I was in the minority on the final choice. I didn't want to blame Nathan because I knew he would get out of it so I chose to blame David instead. I may be mistaken, but it seemed like David was crying in Joyces arms at the very end. Not sure why though but maybe he does care.

This game will probably be a goty contender for me and May cannot come soon enough!

Even if you don't blame David he's crying in Joyce's arms at the end. The guy may be an asshole but a girl just tried to kill herself and he might have been part of the reason she did. I would think that would get to anyone

Tizoc

The thing about Chloe in this ep.
is that she might be trying to recover from losing Rachel, she might've been co-dependent on her and now Max is there to fill up the void. That might explain her attitude, as I'm certain Rachel was likely the opposite of Chloe's personality

Dice//

Banned
I'm feeling bad for Warren. It's not justified; the relationship with Chloe is written stronger than it should be. Granted, who can help feelings, but it'd be nice if something happens with Warren...but he's kinda 'friendzoned', isn't he?

carlsojo

I'm feeling bad for Warren. It's not justified; the relationship with Chloe is written stronger than it should be. Granted, who can help feelings, but it'd be nice if something happens with Warren...but he's kinda 'friendzoned', isn't he?

Wellll I mean at the end of episode 2 for me
it seemed like they're going to go to a movie together?
Not that I care, I think he's a dweeb.

Speaking of Warren though, how are you supposed to
help him with the experiment? I told him to use a LOT OF POTASSIUM. Like. A fuckton.

Vylash

Wellll I mean at the end of episode 2 for me
it seemed like they're going to go to a movie together?
Not that I care, I think he's a dweeb.

Speaking of Warren though, how are you supposed to
help him with the experiment? I told him to use a LOT OF POTASSIUM. Like. A fuckton.

both choices are wrong, ask ms grant and she'll tell you to use chlorine, go back and tell warren that

Fret

I really liked the first and third act, but yeah the parts with Chloe were overly long and frustrating to play.

I failed the "predict the stuff happening in the diner" and "guess whats in her pockets" about 5 times, really annoying and I couldn't really see how that would impress her that much. There was definitely a better way to go about showing off the powers to Chloe, like simply predicting what she was going to say next, or something. The worst "puzzle" in the game so far

I. Love. This. Game.

I saved Kate, got that fucker Nathan tossed out, and seriously can't wait until the next episode.

Dontnod, you've got a lifelong fan here.

jediyoshi

I failed the "predict the stuff happening in the diner" and "guess whats in her pockets" about 5 times, really annoying and I couldn't really see how that would impress her that much. There was definitely a better way to go about showing off the powers to Chloe, like simply predicting what she was going to say next, or something. The worst "puzzle" in the game so far

Odd, sounds like you ran into a bug for both of those. After your first failure, Chloe just shows you everything in her pockets and you can casually inspect them. After the first time you fail the prediction part, she says to list off the next four things that happen once you rewind again.

Fret

Odd, sounds like you ran into a bug for both of those. After your first failure, Chloe just shows you everything in her pockets and you can casually inspect them. After the first time you fail the prediction part, she says to list off the next four things that happen once you rewind again.

Yeah maybe. But still, it makes for some convoluted gameplay just to show your powers to Chloe. Those type of puzzles aren't the games strong point.

I did laugh pretty fucking hard when I told her to shoot the bumper, knowing it would probably hit her and Chloe yelling "Do over do over!"

pakkit

Banned
Yeah maybe. But still, it makes for some convoluted gameplay just to show your powers to Chloe. Those type of puzzles aren't the games strong point.

I wasn't thrilled while I was playing, but I thought that middle part of the episode served as an excellent tutorial for the final passage of the game, where the training wheels are removed and you're asked to recall things from the very beginning of the episode. In that sense, those tiny puzzles get your brain ready to do some serious recall later on.

How do you make pics from PS4?

Yeah, please make it RETAIL, would be nice to have a case :)

There are two ways to do it. First is to hold down the Share button. Second is to press the Share button and then press Triangle in the Share Menu. Super easy.

You can also change the button config by pressing the Options button in the Share menu. This swaps the quick and long presses around, so a quick press will take a screenshots and holding it down will bring up the Share menu.

Danj

Dude seriously what?
I didn't LET her die, I wanted to save her! But I must have said the wrong thing and she jumped anyway! And I didn't have my stupid power because I used it all up LITERALLY STOPPING TIME and running up to the roof like a superhero :(

I'm with you on the final choice though.
I had that photo of David harassing Kate, so I busted that shit out and the Principal suspended his ass. He tried to accuse me of being a pot dealer but that didn't work against the photo.

I tried saving Kate but she jumped :( Probably gonna replay this and try to save her, that part really got to me. I saw that it was possible to save her after completing Ep2 and I felt terrible.

Danj

I tried saving Kate but she jumped :( Probably gonna replay this and try to save her, that part really got to me. I saw that it was possible to save her after completing Ep2 and I felt terrible.

Yeah that was how I felt too. I was like
oh, okay, that's probably one of these "fixed events", like saving Chloe in the first episode...
And then at the end it was like
YOU FAILED TO SAVE KATE, 39%. 61% SAVED KATE
and I was like
oh my goodness I am a terrible person :( :( :(

xrnzaaas

I enjoyed episode 2, not as much as episode 1, but it was still really good. I especially loved the choice you guys are all commenting in the spoilers. The only really weak moment of the episode (aside from frame drops on PS4 during the bus ride) was the
second test in the diner - the third part was difficult to guess since most of the suggested reactions were very similar.

Finally got to play. Still enjoying the game quite a bit. Really nice musical moments, teen fantasy drama, choices starting to take effect.

Didn't realize I was able to do anything for Alyssa until the end of the episode when it was way too late, but pretty happy with my choices overall.

Saved Kate. (I see some people are talking about bible quotes in that last section but that didn't even come up.) I'm pretty much going all out on making enemies so did tell her to go to the cops, went public with accusations against Nathan, and tried to shoot Frank. We'll see how that works out for me.

cormack12

Gold Member
Couple of questions on the ending scenes for those who didn't manage to 'intervene' in the penultimate scene.

1. It cut to a scene where Victoria looked like she was crying. The Nathan entered, looked like he was smirking. Was she crying because of Nathan getting suspended or because of Kate dying?

2. There seemed to be some sort of obituary for Kate at the end, which looked like it was being filed in David's boxfiles -have I got that right?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Couple of questions on the ending scenes for those who didn't manage to 'intervene' in the penultimate scene.

1. It cut to a scene where Victoria looked like she was crying. The Nathan entered, looked like he was smirking. Was she crying because of Nathan getting suspended or because of Kate dying?

2. There seemed to be some sort of obituary for Kate at the end, which looked like it was being filed in David's boxfiles -have I got that right?

That stuff happens even if Kate survives.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The Twin Peaks reference in chapter two is the most appropriate reference in a game ever. Clearly a huge source of inspiration for this game.

The visual presentation keeps impressing me, very professional camerawork.

I made a bad choice again:
I told Kate to go to the police. I know this will hit me in the ass, but I'm sort of going all out on this path since I reported Nathan last episode anyway. Disaster incoming!

Chaos17

BLESS you, for a second I thought I was gonna have to be the president, vice president, secretary and treasurer of the Warren Fan Club.
I'm team Warren too,
that guy gained my respect when he defended Chloe against Nathan.

David files were brown, typical case file that you can see in cop tv series.
They were not red with black paper and he didn't displayed his files on a tidy shelf with names on it either.
That's why I think, players and Chloe are totally getting the wrong picture of him because he was asking questions at Kate and slapped Chloe.
That guy is trying to discover Vortex Club dirty stuf by his own.

The Twin Peaks reference in chapter two is the most appropriate reference in a game ever. Clearly a huge source of inspiration for this game.

The visual presentation keeps impressing me, very professional camerawork.

I made a bad choice again:
I told Kate to go to the police. I know this will hit me in the ass, but I'm sort of going all out on this path since I reported Nathan last episode anyway. Disaster incoming!
Things don't come up nicely if you tell Kate to wait.
I don't wich one is worse but when you tell her to not go to cops, she will tell you that she felt abonnded by you.
Also, since you're wasting your time with Chloe this whole epsiode, you never have the chance to gather proofs to help her.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
David files were brown, typical case file that you can see in cop tv series.
They were not red with black paper and he didn't displayed his files on a tidy shelf with names on it either.

fix your quote dammit

Wrote some thoughts on Episode Two. Very spoilery, though, so perhaps best not to read until after you've finished it.

I thought I’d done enough to save her. Here she was, her entire world crumbling at her feet and the will to live all but gone. I encouraged her to go to the police, I talked with her on the phone to the annoyance of Chloe, I believed in Kate so much. What was happening was out of character for her.

But I thought I had just done enough as “Maxwell Silver Hammer” (there was a few Beatles references scattered in episode two) to get her to come down and be the superhero I was told I could be.

No. I didn’t. All it took was just one foul slip of the tongue. And there was no rewind this time. There was nothing I could do.

The game built me up. And then, just as quickly, it tore me down asunder.

Link

Reedirect

Agreed, that was a good one. Although my favorite one so far has to be
the Nebraska reference. It's a similar situation to Spirits Within's "who the hell remembers that movie?", but rather than a simple name-drop in a conversation, they turned the main character of Nebraska into a random NPC on the street (the guy at the bus stop), so everyone who's seen that movie will instantly recognize it, but it will still be just a regular NPC for everyone else.

cormack12

Gold Member

I've just replayed some collectible stuff and I think I now realise what that scene is relative to....

The framing indicates to me that someone is already prepping a 'Missing' poster for Kate, or will be using her picture in a fingerprinted catalogue (hence the scene playing whether Kate lives or dies). Indicates that certain 'girls' are being watched/monitored or even targeted.

I thought the additional scene with Samuel was kind of odd. Having the posed photos of Rachel, but then a box full of shades and women's magazines. I must admit I did think the boxfiles resembled the ones in his janitors closet thing on second reflection but you don't get a clear shot of them.

I played through again as it was my intention to save 'Kate' all along, the prompts just didn't work out. So I corrected them.

Sucks that you have to wait so long between episodes. I forgot you could R2 'jog' for most of the second episode. Also someone asked for the name of the song at the end, it's Mt. Washington by Local Natives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN-CqIytN2U

Voyevoda

Use Shazam on the tracks. I forgot to do that. >.>

Or, the songs' titles are written in the end credits.

Something Good, by Alt-J for the opening song.
Mt. Washington, by Local Natives for the ending song.

That's what I'm wondering about as well. But my guess would be that they'll write her out of the game in the next episode, a la "Kate had to go to a mental health institution" or something like that and we'll never see her again.

Well, in the last sequence (pre-credits),
if you saved Kate, she's in hospital; if she jumped, you can see a memorial in front of the dorm. So I reckon you'll have a scene in front of the memorial if you didn't save her, or you'll go and visit her in hospital if you did.

Apoptomon

I'm not finding Chloe particularly endearing so far (episode 2). Like, there were more important matters this episode. About this episode's climactic event:
I told Kate to wait rather than go to the police, erased the graffiti, and answered her phone call
, so I was able to get a 'good' outcome. In the scene at the end
i got Nathan suspended

Man I'm still thinking about the episode one full day after I played it, I need to know where everything is going haha. One thing is certain though, I'm not going to watch any trailers for future episodes because the episode 2 trailer spoiled almost everything.

Also I can see why people don't like Chloe that much but I don't think it's really that weird for her to act like she does. I mean first her best friend moves away and stops having contact with her for years and then her new best friend just vanishes without a trace. I seriously think that could mess up how you act to people who you want to be close with.

Finished second playthrough.

Bad choices made. Kate jumps. I feel like a monster. Keep telling myself "Not every story has to have a happy ending." Still feel evil.

Anteater

Ep2 spoilers

Whatever I reloaded and saved Kate and feel good about it, didn't think the corny "stay strong" option was all I needed =V.
No one is dying on my watch.
And fuck I really care about Kate now. Fuck you Nathan, fuck you too David and also fuck you Adam Jansen.

There's probably more to it with Nathan. David is probably just super paranoid.

Also I'm not sure about Chloe's character, I didn't like the way she seems to treat her mom and Max.

I like how everyone is a suspect, the janitor guy has Rachel's photos too.

And there's Adam Jansen who might be the secret guy Rachel was seeing.

Anyway, saved Kate, got Nate suspended, mostly the popular options.

Top Bottom