• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Chaos17

1. I totally thought this was coming out on Thursday for some reason.

2. So wait, you can't buy the individual episode on Steam, you have to buy the remaining season pass? There's no way just to buy the individual episode from the game itself? Can you buy Ep. 2 by itself on PS4 or do you also have to buy the rest of the season pass too? I wish they would have said that from the start or let just by each episode individually. I was planning on just buying Ep. 2, not the rest of the season.

Someone confirmed some pages ago that you can buy separatly the episoded on console.

Reedirect

Replayed the whole episode on my second slot,
saved Kate this time, and I have to say, even though I knew exactly what to do to save her and knew what was going to happen, the ending still had a huge impact on me. "You saved me from talking in class" was like "Snake had a hard life" for me, it made me tear up a little.

Truly great stuff in this episode, really excited for my favorite high school drama trope ever in the next episode (
breaking in during nighttime
). Basically like The Faculty, but with cooler characters.

That's a problem with all "your choices matter" games, you may have noticed that all the scenarios (and the order that they play out) in Episodes 1 and 2 are the same, with small differences in dialog (thought I'll argue these alone make the experience very differently in each playthrough)

it is almost certain the character you're referring will
not make any more appearances anymore in the game, even for the people that saved her, since she is now "recuperating at the hospital".

I would be very impressed if we do get a scene later on when we go visit her

I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if the last line in your spoiler happens. we're only two episodes in and the general plot doesn't get drastically changed or anything yet but the choices you make seem to have a bit more weight than they do in certain tell tale games. A bit more akin to say the mass effect series. be cool if I'm right.

I know it's March, but this is easily my GOTY so far. Enjoying it more than anything released in the last 12 months, even.

Spoilers below. Remember not to quote me if you haven't played.

That said, if I want to be nit-picky, I'd criticise
all the 'tests' for Chloe. Shouldn't one have been enough? Everything between the 'what's in my pocket' and shooting bottles felt like filler, and not good filler. Finding bottles was ridiculously boring / frustrating/ annoying.
Take note, DONTNOD.

As for the story,
I saved Kate - erased the link and whiteboard stuff, mentioned her sister, took her call, told her not to go to the police. Dobbed on the teacher - I am the 7% - he was being such a prick outside class. Her fault? No evidence of David being a dick, plus I think he has good motives, don't like the way Max spoke to him (and that I couldn't get her to be more understanding). Left Prescott alone, I want the evidence to nail this scumbag, I don't have it yet. Ratting early would just make the Principle a bigger prick.

Also, told Warren to mix Potassium, went to teacher for advice, rewound, told him to add a shit ton of Potassium. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Pissed at myself for taking the rap for Chloe's weed. Joyce thinks I'm a stoner now :/

Steamlord

I know it's March, but this is easily my GOTY so far. Enjoying it more than anything released in the last 12 months, even.

all the 'tests' for Chloe. Shouldn't one have been enough? Everything between the 'what's in my pocket' and shooting bottles felt like filler, and not good filler. Finding bottles was ridiculously boring / frustrating/ annoying.
Take note, DONTNOD.

It definitely felt like filler from a gameplay / pacing standpoint, but at the same time it served the purpose of draining Max's powers in order to set up the rooftop scene. I understand what they were going for, but I imagine there's a better way to go about it that doesn't cause the game to drag so much.

Take note, DONTNOD.

As for the story,
I saved Kate - erased the link and whiteboard stuff, mentioned her sister, took her call, told her not to go to the police. Dobbed on the teacher - I am the 7% - he was being such a prick outside class. Her fault? No evidence of David being a dick, plus I think he has good motives, don't like the way Max spoke to him (and that I couldn't get her to be more understanding). Left Prescott alone, I want the evidence to nail this scumbag, I don't have it yet. Ratting early would just make the Principle a bigger prick.

Also, told Warren to mix Potassium, went to teacher for advice, rewound, told him to add a shit ton of Potassium. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Pissed at myself for taking the rap for Chloe's weed. Joyce thinks I'm a stoner now :/

We are the 7%!

I blamed Jefferson as well, I don't know what he said to her but when you confront him after he seems pretty dismissive even if when dealing with the principal he sounds all regretful. I just don't think there was evidence to blame Nathan and the security guard is a jerk, but right at that moment Jefferson was the one who made her run off crying.

So now that I have access to a computer I'll post what I think about the episode.

I liked it, didn't love it as a whole, just some snippets. I, like many others, didn't care too much for the Chloe segments. I just feel she's very selfish. Yes, I understand Max was away for years and didn't contact and she just lost her best friend BUT if she was so "mad" at Max for no contact she shouldn't really care what Max does because she should be "used to" Max not having contact with her.
Ex. Answering Kate's phone call, this really annoyed me, Kate is Max's friend, and (regardless of the unfortunate connection Chloe and Kate have to one another) Max shouldn't have to answer to Chloe about Kate IMO.

I really hope she becomes more tolerable in the next episode, but I find that hard to believe because I haven't cared for Chloe since she's first seen in the girl's bathroom.

As for my choices
I told Kate to go to the police, even though I haven't ratted on him at all about the gun, I just really wanted to make her feel better because that's always been my goal for Kate, to make her smile. I also answered her call. I didn't try to shoot Frank because I seen him as no threat to me, just to Chloe and since I don't really like her I couldn't care less what happens to her (as of right now anyway). Unfortunately I wasn't able to save Kate because Proverbs sounded more optimistic to me but I did go back and save her, I was very distraught when I didn't save her. I blamed Nathan because I couldn't take Mr. Jefferson being kicked out of the Hero contest and I feel like David (in the long run) will be a good guy and has good intentions he just doesn't know how to go about things in a "normal" way because he was a soldier prior to the game.

As for the smaller choices
I watered my plant like I did in the first episode, I helped Alyssa because why not? I erased Kate's board again, I was nice to Taylor because I felt bad about her mother. I initially accepted Warren's invite but once I found out he had already asked Brooke and used Max as a second option I rewound and rejected him. I was really mad he asked Brooke first and already made plans and was using both her and Max so he 1. wouldn't have to go alone and 2. could have either girl he wanted. I wrote a message because I feel like Rachel will pop up in a later episode and I'd like to see what she'd say about it, or see what Chloe would say. Max sounded really sad when she talked about wanting to write something so I figured I'd go for it.

I tampered with the tracks because I seen in the diner that the Prescott's are planning on building villa-type homes in Arcadia Bay somewhere and I'd like to stop them from expanding anything. I feel bad for the fishermen and everyone who gets in their paths. Hopefully this will end up halting their plans anyway, it's just my speculation right now. I got invited to a party so that way I can hopefully bust Nathan finally and get justice and sweet sweet revenge for Kate/Chloe. I'm thinking he'll try to dose Max too, or some other poor girl. I didn't help Warren, and I told on David but I didn't have any photographic proof since I helped Kate out in the first episode.

Also, what does everyone think of the ending, in general and, when
Nathan walks into Victoria's room? I think they're dating, or are very close, unsure as to why he really went into her room though, besides to tell her about what happened in the principals office.

Oh and I'm team waffles!

Violet_0

Banned

In my game
she repeatedly said that she believes Max is just covering Chloe - David suspects this as well, and he said it's not a big deal. Then you go to the principal office and he has a complete change of character.

Damn, I think this episode may have been better than first. Happy to see the devs have a strong vision for this game and didn't just luck out with that premiere episode. Definitely worth the wait.

The ending
shook me. When we first saw Kate fall I gasped audibly, and it was really scary as Max tried to rewind but just had to watch it happen again.

I felt I was saying all the right things on the rooftop, but I think I messed up at the end. I'm upset that I couldn't save her, but I think I'll stick with my choices rather than reload.

Kinsei

Banned
In my game
she repeatedly said that she believes Max is just covering Chloe - David suspects this as well, and he said it's not a big deal. Then you go to the principal office and he has a complete change of character.

Did you accuse David? I didn't and he never brought up the weed in the office.

Violet_0

Banned
That is odd. Maybe how you act in general towards him (and most likely Grace) determines his dialogue in that section? If so the choices affect more than I thought.

well, I took the blame for Chloe in episode 1 (didn't hide) and never changed my story when asked about it

lil

well, I took the blame for Chloe in episode 1 (didn't hide) and never changed my story when asked about it

That explains it, I didn't get anything from him in the office and I stayed hidden in the closet the whole time.

Ashtar

Played through episode 2 it was really good
Act 1
I didn't know what Alyssa's problem was so I didn't help her. I decided to go on the date with Warren I didn't know he also asked beverly (whoever that is) out. He's being a lil too creeper-y. Helped Kate with her stuff (erased boards) told her not to go to the cops after how the principle did me and kept it moving
Act 2
I didn't even know you could screw with Nate Doggs family at the dinner too bad about that. Yeah Chloe is a jerk, very self centered. I'm still bad I took the rep for the reefer. All of that stupidity in the junk yard was just smh. on one hand I understand that you want to try out your new friends powers but on the other hand if I predict a fight a cockroach and a freaking bottle getting smashed just gimme the mulligan on the cop huh? jerk! I took the phone call because screw her and then I tried to shoot frank but went back and reversed it. Ended up using the bundle of wires to smash some stuff and then pulled Chloe off the tracks
Act 3
I talked to principle but then reversed it because he's always running his mouth. He up there treating me like I'm the crook. I helped Warren with his project but that asian girl was all on his nut sack what up with that. You want that clown so bad take him shoot I'm gonna friend zone him for trying to play me anyways! Went to class Nate dogg and Victoria were talking trash about like I don't exist WTF? Anyway I ran to the dorms and I was like dang no powers, can't lie I was on edge about Kate. I relate to her character a lot and I really didn't want to see her die, I'm glad I was able to save her. A brother almost shed a tear. I first blame the Jensen for it, but then I blame Nate dogg because he's just trash and he wrecked my room. I wish I could beat his head in with a tire iron. From what Chloe said in episode one he at least sexually assualted her if not rape right? Anyway he's a fukk boy.

Just typing this whole thing out made me feel like a teenage girl.....

Rembrandt

Banned
Had to stop at the junkyard, the whole bottle thing was eh. Poor Kate and heroin eyes. Straight told her to tell the police and principle, only because I thought it would make her feel better. We'll see. Gotta protect her. Lol @ chloes reaction towards the phone call. I took the wrap for the weed, bitch, chill out. Solid episode so far and is it just me or are the optional photos harder than the last one?

Kinsei

Banned
Had to stop at the junkyard, the whole bottle thing was eh. Poor Kate and heroin eyes. Straight told her to tell the police and principle, only because I thought it would make her feel better. We'll see. Gotta protect her. Lol @ chloes reaction towards the phone call. I took the wrap for the weed, bitch, chill out. Solid episode so far and is it just me or are the optional photos harder than the last one?

Seemed to be about the same to me. The only thing that I think is harder is that a few of them require you to be at the right angle to take the pic.

Slowdive

Banned
Just finished episode 2, thought it was great.
Glad I saved Kate. Thinking about going back and getting put on the Vortex Club party list, not sure.

Steamlord

I do. She reminds me of Faith from Season 3 of Buffy.

Well I hate Faith too, so at least I'm consistent I guess.

Just finished episode 2, thought it was great.
Glad I saved Kate. Thinking about going back and getting put on the Vortex Club party list, not sure.

Yeah, Courtney pissed me off when I talked to her so I basically gave her the finger. Probably the wrong thing to do but so far I've been determined not to take shit from anyone in my playthrough and I'm sticking to it. Well, except I did take the heat for Chloe's weed because I was worried David would harm her, but I was really pissed at her. And I told David the truth about the weed in ep 2 since he seemed to have lightened up about it.

I was surprised that
ratting on nathan
at the end was the most popular choice, but I guess that not a lot of people probably not a lot of people
took the photo of david arguing with rachel in episode 1
so it shouldn't have been one.
I don't know. Even if i had the picture, I'm not convinced that David isn't legitimately trying to help out, albeit in a heavy-handed way.

Seems like the biggest way to catch Nathan is to put him on the spot and let him dig his own grave. Jefferson i am wary of, and is a bit of a prick, and his honestly one of my top suspects, but there's really no point in accusing him. I've got nothing solid on him and all he did was be insensitive that i saw.

nikos

Take note, DONTNOD.

As for the story,

We are the 7%!

I blamed Jefferson as well, I don't know what he said to her but when you confront him after he seems pretty dismissive even if when dealing with the principal he sounds all regretful. I just don't think there was evidence to blame Nathan and the security guard is a jerk, but right at that moment Jefferson was the one who made her run off crying.

7% crew!

Went with Jefferson as well since his story is the only one that is certain. We saw Kate walk away from him crying. David is a hard ass, but I believe he means well. It was weird to see him taking photos of Kate as she was running outside of the school though, before going on the roof. I want more evidence before going after Nathan, even if he is a clown.

Also, something about Jefferson rubs me the wrong way. I don't care if he isn't able to go to San Francisco. Wasn't there something about Rachel Amber wanting to go to CA? There could be a connection there. Someone also told me there's a shady phone call with Jefferson that could be related to Rachel, but I missed it.

carlsojo

7% crew!

Went with Jefferson as well since his story is the only one that is certain. We saw Kate walk away from him crying. David is a hard ass, but I believe he means well. It was weird to see him taking photos of Kate as she was running outside of the school though, before going on the roof. I want more evidence before going after Nathan, even if he is a clown.

Also, something about Jefferson rubs me the wrong way. I don't care if he isn't able to go to San Francisco. Wasn't there something about Rachel Amber wanting to go to CA? There could be a connection there. Someone also told me there's a shady phone call with Jefferson that could be related to Rachel, but I missed it.

Dude,
I agree, I think Jefferson almost definitely murdered Rachel. I think he moved back to Oregon from wherever to get the heat off him after his past murders (the other folders in the post cutscene).

CzarTim

Dude,
I agree, I think Jefferson almost definitely murdered Rachel. I think he moved back to Oregon from wherever to get the heat off him after his past murders (the other folders in the post cutscene).
I really hope this isn't true. The whole "clean cut guy everyone likes" being the real killer is so cliche at this point. Like it'd be a bigger twist for me if it was really Samuel, because that guy so obviously didn't do it that he might as well have done it.

carlsojo

I really hope this isn't true. The whole "clean cut guy everyone likes" being the real killer is so cliche at this point. Like it'd be a bigger twist for me if it was really Samuel, because that guy so obviously didn't do it that he might as well have done it.

While I
don't think Samuel did it, I feel like he knows more about the mythos of the place, since he talks about spirit animals: Max's being a doe and his being a squirrel. He is super creepy though, and he had Rachel's pictures.. which is weird.

Manu

Well, shit. Pretty much all the choices I made in this episode I sided with the majority, except for the big one.

I feel really bad right now.

MikeDown

Banned
Does anybody here like Chloe? Honest question
Love her, some of her attitude is immature & rebellious but that is just part of her character

While I
don't think Samuel did it, I feel like he knows more about the mythos of the place, since he talks about spirit animals: Max's being a doe and his being a squirrel. He is super creepy though, and he had Rachel's pictures.. which is weird.

That part of the game is really interesting to me; prolly will explain why
Max has her powers in some way. Curious what deer symbolize in the local Siletz and Chinook Indian cultures. might provide some incite into things. Will prolly turn into the shining later on; Blackwell being built on an ancient burial ground of some sort. Also I noticed a red book, like Rachel and Kate's laying in the principle's office.

Sister also played through, she kinda is thinking there might be something more between Max and Chloe, at least that was Chloe might be trying to instigate as far as their relationship goes. Just various subtle signs and all that.

mike4001_

Regarding the Ending with Kate

Do you guys think if you saved here she will die early on in Episode 3?

The Walking Dead always did it this way because obviously they cannot go forward and develop two seperate storylines.

So I think this will the only possible solution.

Crayons

Banned

The Walking Dead always did it this way because obviously they cannot go forward and develop two seperate storylines.

I think
she'll just be irrelevant, still in the hospital or some excuse

CzarTim

I think her parents will take her out of school and bring her home.

Corpekata

Banned

She'll probably text you through the rest of the season, and we might get a scene or two overall, but I'd wager for the most part she's not going to get a lot more screentime.

Steamlord

...If that happens I'm fucking done with the game. That would be inexcusable. I doubt I'll be happy with whatever they have to do to make the game work, but I'll live with it. But if she dies, then what was even the point of episode 2?

Anyway, I agree with the other posts that she probably won't show up much for the rest of the game. Which is a shame because she's seriously the only truly likeable character. Which...is kind of sad, to be honest. It would be awesome if she could play some sort of role in episode 5 or something, so that she wouldn't have to appear all throughout the game, but there would still be a worthwhile payoff for that event.

Corpekata

Banned
I like Chloe is the sense that I think it's the writers not really handling how to make some choices and gameplay elements feel like they matter without a character act like a total dick to you, so I don't really think they're meaning for her to come off all the ways she does at times. Gameplay needs to serve the characters, not the other way around in a game like this. So I try not to take the reactions of the characters in these moments to hear to much. Most of the other big choices have a character acting awful in at least one of the options that seem very exaggerated.

I mean, she gets a lot of bonus points in my book for hating Emoji, at least.

jediyoshi

Being dead is the only way you can think of a character being less relevant? Did you you think Jefferson was dead up until the point at the end where he finally shows up again? :p

Anteater

Kate
will likely be away, and probably sends you text the mass effect way.

She might come back and give a few lines if/when we are dealing with the stuff about Nate I think. Then she would probably still be relevant without having to record too many lines.

Regardless I don't think it's really too hard to keep her around, characters don't interact with each other too much in school and they don't bring up each other too much, many of them hang out alone like Alyssa, their dialogues are often pretty basic.

Top Bottom