• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

carlsojo

I actually don't think Chloe's step-dad is a freak/ass/stalker but trying to crack his own mystery.... but feel free to quote, point, and laugh when if proven wrong

Yo I totally agree. I think he's misunderstood and kind of hardcore with the surveillance and suspicions. BUT, he's the only character (other than Max and Chloe) that appears to be doing anything at all about finding out what happened to Rachel.

CzarTim

Yo I totally agree. I think he's misunderstood and kind of hardcore with the surveillance and suspicions. BUT, he's the only character (other than Max and Chloe) that appears to be doing anything at all about finding out what happened to Rachel.

Agreed, but let's not forget he hit Chloe. Whether or not he's on the right or wrong side, that's pretty unforgivable.

Yeah, I have a feeling the game is setting up for some red herring or some ambiguously "evil" plot twists.

I actually don't think Chloe's step-dad is a freak/ass/stalker but trying to crack his own mystery.... but feel free to quote, point, and laugh when if proven wrong
I know, but fuck him anyway, he's a grade A asshole.

I really, really just want to reiterate how good that conversation with
Kate was. I'm hard-pressed to think of any other game out there right now where little things you did actually matter (erasing the board, the link, reading stuff in her room). I really can't praise them enough for getting it right.
Super excited for Episode 3
though I definitely have to go back and turn down Warren. I thought we were just seeing a movie!
Have to disagree pretty hard. I liked the episode and the game but i thought the conversation was terrible.
"Don't commit suicide! People were being even more cruel to you than you thought but check out how cool I am! Your bullying was so much worse than you know, but I'll tell you about it here while you're about to commit suicide so you can see how much I care about you. The future is so bright!"

jediyoshi

Have to disagree pretty hard. I liked the episode and the game but i thought the conversation was terrible.
"Don't commit suicide! People were being even more cruel to you than you thought but check out how cool I am! Your bullying was so much worse than you know, but I'll tell you about it here while you're about to commit suicide so you can see how much I care about you. The future is so bright!"

I didn't think it was possible to play Max as a psychopath.

Zareka

Yeah, I hated him for most of the two episodes but that little conversation you have with him near the end changed my mind a bit. It seems like another case of someone just not knowing how to properly handle a situation and going with the only way they know how. I think he has good intentions.

Man, I loaded up the game to check the smaller choices I made in Episode 2 cuz I missed them when I finished and I'm finding myself just wanting to play more already. I haven't felt this compelled or invested in a long time.

Episode 3 can't come soon enough.

Edit: Small question,
why is the title screen always night time now? It was the middle of the day when I first played the demo and stayed that way until I bought and finished the episodes. Is it dependant on what episode you're on?

I didn't think it was possible to play Max as a psychopath.
You don't even select those. She just spits it all out on her own. Again, i liked the episode and the entire dilemma in general but i cringed all the way through the conversation.

"Someone wrote the link to your video on a bathroom mirror but i erased it! I care about you so much!"

If you care so much, then shut the fuck up about depressing things she didn't even know about.

MrBS

Game over Episode 2

A bit weaker than the first episode IMO but I'm still quite happy with this. It seems some of you decisions in the first ep are helping/fucking you over in episode 2. This game could benefit from a replay once its all done I guess as I've screwed myself on a couple of key things

As a character piece this is really well done. Loving this one. Play it people!

voodooray

This game could benefit from a replay once its all done I guess as I've screwed myself on a couple of key things

I always say I will do this, but end up never having the time to do it. I've enjoyed watching others discover the differences on Twitch. For example (posted on the spoiler thread):

(Spoiler for Ep2, middle act, when
rescuing Chloe
) - Did you know the developers took into account if you
try to use the axe on Chloe. The host tried it after someone brought up 'amputation' as a solution
. Pretty sure I would never have thought of that!

just beat ep 2, I can't believe 41% choose
not to save Kate, I'm lucky that I save her on first try, but if I had failed, I would have replay the whole chapter again just to save her

Cdammen

On the Kate part I
messed up the last bit with the bible phrases
, but I'm sticking with the outcome. Adds more drama to it and I'd rather play it with my choices and not a "this is the correct happy ending path" way. The next episode seems to have some nice action bits!

Certinty

just beat ep 2, I can't believe 41% choose
not to save Kate, I'm lucky that I save her on first try, but if I had failed, I would have replay the whole chapter again just to save her
It's not about 'choosing' to save her though, I mean I tried to save her but failed. Either way i'm going to accept the outcome and not replay that bit, I think the game deserves to be played this way.

voodooray

Do I have to start the episode all over again if
I want to save Kate? Is there no way I can choose checkpoints or something?

As well as replaying any part of any episode to collect photos without changing the outcome of the saved game, you can also restart from those parts as well, as long as you finish to the end. Just select a save slot that you don't intend to use again. I've been doing this to have a 'good' max and 'evil' max playthrough.

RPGCrazied

Played the demo for Ep. 1. Seems cool, and I'll check it out once all 5 episodes are out. What are the odds of a disc release at some point?

Now some thoughts:

I think Nathan is becoming the easy target for a villain, and I've been blaming and confronting him during both episodes. I even blamed him in the end. But somehow I think this is not the right answer. It would be too easy, too "obvious". And also, even if the game tries REAL HARD to paint David as a bad guy, something tells me he is actually one of the good guys...

I thought this episode was pretty lenient with David. I mean the characters sure weren't but David himself was a more sympathetic character, evidently caring for the the girls in some way but unable to actually understand what the right course of action is. The developers made him look and sound weak, which was a pretty good choice imo. Vulnerability is the best way to contrast authoritarianism. I predict that he will slow down and become more and more depressed until he discovers something über terrible and dies warning Max about the return of the Great Old Ones. Then Max and Kate will team up and defeat YHWH.

Is anyone else having trouble downloading Episode 2 on PS4? It's not showing up for me in the store and the download button in the game brings me to a blank store page.

Vuze

Just played through Episode 2 and dang, I thought
Kate would die regardless of which choices you made
but this page already proved me wrong. Now I feel like shit. Props to dontnod for hopefully working this out instead of picking the easy way. Super pumped for Episode 3 now!

jediyoshi

You don't even select those. She just spits it all out on her own. Again, i liked the episode and the entire dilemma in general but i cringed all the way through the conversation.

"Someone wrote the link to your video on a bathroom mirror but i erased it! I care about you so much!"

If you care so much, then shut the fuck up about depressing things she didn't even know about.

I'm not sure you quite grasp how quotation marks work or if your forced interpretation of the dialogue is any less arbitrary than
however your ideal suicide deescalation scenario plays out in your head.

johnny956

Is anyone else having trouble downloading Episode 2 on PS4? It's not showing up for me in the store and the download button in the game brings me to a blank store page.

Same issue for me. I think the playstation store is having issues. I can't get anything to load besides the main page in the playstation store on ps4

MikeDown

Banned
Awesome, I'm sure they will probably mark up the price to $40 or something, lol.

How long is episode 1? The demo was like 20 minutes long.
You could prolly speed through it in about 30-45mins, though it took me closer to two hours. Episode 2 seemed longer then ep1, easily did around 3hrs.

Awesome, I'm sure they will probably mark up the price to $40 or something, lol.

How long is episode 1? The demo was like 20 minutes long.

It really depends on how much you explore the world (there is a LOT of extra stuff), personally I took about 3-4 hours to find everything/talk to everyone the first time. But if you are going straight through it is about 2 hours (most let's plays I've seen have been around this length)

ViviOggi

Each episode took me about 3 hours. Particularly ep1 has such a soothing atmosphere that I never felt rushed and just took my time exploring. YMMV.

Anteater

Each episode took me about 3 hours. Particularly ep1 has such a soothing atmosphere that I never felt rushed and just took my time exploring. YMMV.

ep1 or maybe both eps are actually pretty short but depends if you really like the game and click on every detail and reading them, I find myself going back and reading the journal and all the other details in the game because I find it fascinating, but if you don't care at all I'm sure you could probably beat it in like half an hour or something.

I'd say if you like the demo (never played it and don't know what it offers), the game is worth buying, I got it for like 9bucks on nuuvem, and spent like 9hrs total on the 2 eps lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Same issue for me. I think the playstation store is having issues. I can't get anything to load besides the main page in the playstation store on ps4

Good to know it's not just me, at least!

Finally played ep 1 and it was great so many small and nice moments can't wait to play ep 2.

I've gotten used to the weird lip sync and the awkward lingo, but the thing that is bothering me more and more is the way faces don't really emote. This game is miles ahead of Telltale games in many ways but facial animation is not one of them. TTG's characters definitely have awkwardly abrupt transitions between different emotions but you can at least still read their faces.

Did anyone
blame Mr. Jefferson
at the end? That option just seemed hilarious to me.

You've got
a creepy, overbearing adult stalking and yelling at Kate
. You've got
a psychopath who possibly drugged and raped her
. But
Jefferson made her cry after they had a conversation
, so fuck him.

Reedirect

As much as I love this game to bits, we all know here that it's a little problematic on the technical side. I don't really mind bad lip-syncing or odd facial animations, but having the same VA voice multiple characters is much more obvious here than in other games, for some reason. Maybe because there's actually just a few characters and you get to know their specific traits pretty well.

I can understand that Warren isn't that important, but having even Ashly Burch (Chloe) do more characters (Courtney) is pretty weird, when her primary character is like the second most important one in the whole game.

Did anyone
blame Mr. Jefferson
at the end? That option just seemed hilarious to me.

You've got
a creepy, overbearing adult stalking and yelling at Kate
. You've got
a psychopath who possibly drugged and raped her
. But
Jefferson made her cry after they had a conversation
, so fuck him.

I did, yeah.
My reasoning was that whatever Jefferson had said to Kate clearly made her very upset and when I confronted him about it he gave me some real creepy vibes about how she was "nothing like Rachel Amber" and how he thought she "protested too much" about her reputation or what happened at the party or something, which struck me as really weird. As much as I'd love to pin Nate for dosing her there is no proof and David has been overbearing and monitoring her but the immediate cause of whatever happened seemed to be Mr. Jefferson.

Cloudy

Banned
I somehow missed the Dana segment in the dorm at the start. Is there anyway to do it again and have it impact my overall game?

ps: I haven't completed the episode yet

JonnyKong

I posted these thoughts on the other spoiler thread instead of here by accident.

Seriously whoever chose the music for this game has an awesome taste.

Never in my life did I ever think I'd hear Jose Gonzalez, Alt J and Local Natives in the same game. Amazing!

I didn't save Kate, I have no idea what I did wrong :( :(

What on earth is up with Samuel the care takers voice? Guy creeps me out.

Really can't wait for ep 3, this game is turning into an out of nowhere surprise gem for me

I somehow missed the Dana segment in the dorm at the start. Is there anyway to do it again and have it impact my overall game?

ps: I haven't completed the episode yet

You can only start from the beginning of a particular area (in your case the girl's dormitories) and continue from that point forward.
I posted these thoughts on the other spoiler thread instead of here by accident.

Seriously whoever chose the music for this game has an awesome taste.

Never in my life did I ever think I'd hear Jose Gonzalez, Alt J and Local Natives in the same game. Amazing!
I didn't save Kate, I have no idea what I did wrong :( :(

What on earth is up with Samuel the care takers voice? Guy creeps me out.

Really can't wait for ep 3, this game is turning into an out of nowhere surprise gem for me

You should probably spoiler that.

Choomp

Banned
I love Max's inner monologue. Why don't more games do this? It is the best form of character development IMO

Yup, it's great, old Caulfield, giving us the lo-down.

Finally played it today. Didn't like it as much as the first, felt the middle segments with Chloe dragged on and weren't very enjoyable at points. Still good overall, I'll give it another run through or two, especially considering I screwed up the ending.

I'm not sure you quite grasp how quotation marks work or if your forced interpretation of the dialogue is any less arbitrary than
however your ideal suicide deescalation scenario plays out in your head.
It is okay if
you think an acceptable way to talk down a suicide is to tell them the problem driving them to suicide is worse than they know, which Max does at least twice in their conversation specifically so she can explain how she cares about Kate by making an effort to diffuse the bullying.
If you want to have an actual discussion about it instead of acting like you're taking the criticism personally, that's also fine.

But the quotation mark usage is 100% okay so fuck out of here with that.

Corpekata

Banned
I love Max's inner monologue. Why don't more games do this? It is the best form of character development IMO

Disagree entirely. It works okay here but it's generally a terrible way to do it. Even in this game it feels like it is trying too hard with the "Oh gosh, maybe I should rewind and try it the other way" type of thoughts.

Top Bottom