• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Vylash

She doesn't think shit through, it's been two days in the game and without Max
She would have died 3 times in my play through! (She shot the bonnet on the car and it ricocheted back to her)

she's a teenager though, plus imagine everything she has to mentally process, one of her best friends goes missing, her dad dies, she gets a stepdad that's a jackass and abuses her, and her other best friend suddenly appears in her life with crazy time rewinding powers, i think people aren't really being fair and are expecting her to act like a calm rational adult when that's completely unreasonable

Disagree entirely. It works okay here but it's generally a terrible way to do it. Even in this game it feels like it is trying too hard with the "Oh gosh, maybe I should rewind and try it the other way" type of thoughts.
Max thinking about the possible consequences of every major choice she takes is honestly one of my favorite parts, it really forces you to think about how something might play out later

Corpekata

Banned
Max thinking about the possible consequences of every major choice she takes is honestly one of my favorite parts, it really forces you to think about how something might play out later

It just forces me to roll my eyes because there are already like a half dozen context clues that you should be thinking about that.

Man I love life is strange. Perfect game to unwind with. Also has an amazing soundtrack too. The choice of songs fit the style perfectly. And damn some of the choices this episode were so difficult!

Did anyone
blame Mr. Jefferson
at the end? That option just seemed hilarious to me.

You've got
a creepy, overbearing adult stalking and yelling at Kate
. You've got
a psychopath who possibly drugged and raped her
. But
Jefferson made her cry after they had a conversation
, so fuck him.

I actually think that
Jefferson has something to do with this, I expect a plot twist like that, especially after that phone call he gets. I blamed him.

Did anyone
blame Mr. Jefferson
at the end? That option just seemed hilarious to me.

You've got
a creepy, overbearing adult stalking and yelling at Kate
. You've got
a psychopath who possibly drugged and raped her
. But
Jefferson made her cry after they had a conversation
, so fuck him.

I actually think that
Jefferson has something to do with this, I expect

OwlGoLucky

Neo Member
Man I love life is strange. Perfect game to unwind with. Also has an amazing soundtrack too. The choice of songs fit the style perfectly. And damn some of the choices this episode were so difficult!

Agree! The music is great. I really appreciate the pleasant atmosphere in the game. Especially since it's a teenage world with their own hopes and dreams, and it's mostly disconnected from the adult world.
I think the voice actors are doing a great job, too!

I love Max's inner monologue. Why don't more games do this? It is the best form of character development IMO

It truly is, which is why I really like books over other visual media, there is really no suitable substitute. I also really like her journal too, despite making all major decisions for Max, it is really nice to know what she really thinks about the things she does.

It is okay if
you think an acceptable way to talk down a suicide is to tell them the problem driving them to suicide is worse than they know, which Max does at least twice in their conversation specifically so she can explain how she cares about Kate by making an effort to diffuse the bullying.
If you want to have an actual discussion about it instead of acting like you're taking the criticism personally, that's also fine.

But the quotation mark usage is 100% okay so fuck out of here with that.

I think it's okay because
Kate spends most of the scene talking about how nobody cares about her. I really don't see how telling her about how Max has lessened some of the torment going her way would harm her, she would be aware that there is plenty of things going around that she isn't aware about (known unknowns I guess) and it would make it seem that Kate has an ally who went out of her way against the bullying of the school. Besides, those were only two instances, there were loads of others to show you cared.

1). GET OFF THE FECKING TRAIN TRACKS!!
It was clearly asking for trouble, it got trouble and then YOU WALK ALL OVER THEM AGAIN DESPITE ALMOST DYING!
Frankly, if you're going to be that blatantly irresponsible, maybe
getting hit by a train
would do the world a favour. Less of a bloody burden. How many times do we have to save Chloe during the course of the entire game before we think, 'You know what, fuck it.'

I'm a horrible person.

2). STOP LOOKING DIRECTLY AT THE SUN DURING AN ECLIPSE YOU FECKING EEJITS! Oh no bother, if I go blind I'll just rewind back to before I acted like a fecking idiot.

Aside from that, good episode. I look forward to the next one!

hemo memo

Gold Member
Now I think about it (E2 ending)
Are they going to introduce this new gameplay mechanic next episode, Max ability to stop time or its just a one time thing?

2). STOP LOOKING DIRECTLY AT THE SUN DURING AN ECLIPSE YOU FECKING EEJITS! Oh no bother, if I go blind I'll just rewind back to before I acted like a fecking idiot.
wasn't it during a sunset/late afternoon?

Now I think about it (E2 ending)
Are they going to introduce this new gameplay mechanic next episode, Max ability to stop time or its just a one time thing?
doubt it, gameplaywise
there wouldn't be much you could do by stopping time that you couldn't by just re rewinding it

I think it's okay because
Kate spends most of the scene talking about how nobody cares about her. I really don't see how telling her about how Max has lessened some of the torment going her way would harm her, she would be aware that there is plenty of things going around that she isn't aware about (known unknowns I guess) and it would make it seem that Kate has an ally who went out of her way against the bullying of the school. Besides, those were only two instances, there were loads of others to show you cared.
The bolded was my main issue. If you're really grasping for things to say, sure, maybe you can introduce some extra shit and then try and make light of that. I personally didn't find it that believable or remotely comforting, but that's what happens when you're desperate. The problem was, as you said, there were loads of other places to go.
I did nothing in either episode but hold Kate's hand and tell her she was pretty
(note to jediyoshi: being sarcastic again, you only get to play max as a lesbian during the chloe scenes)
yet instead of talking about how supportive I was during actual conversations or more about the people who demonstrably care about her, I'm talking about erasing lipstick off a mirror before literally anyone saw it and erasing whiteboard messages every day. I think she easily could have talked about how Taylor is also on her side (assuming you talk to her in the dorms both days) and how some people at the school so believe in Kate, instead of just impotent pointless shit that paints a clearer picture of how bad things really are.

Okay, am I doing quotes right?
No. In fact, i think what you did might be bannable. I still made my point in exactly the way i wanted and the punctuation was 100% acceptable.

If you think you can have a discussion about why you think it would be appropriate to talk the way Max does in the episode, like others have, I'd be happy to continue talking to you. Otherwise, not so much. PM if you think you can format my "offensive" post better without changing the text.

she's a teenager though, plus imagine everything she has to mentally process, one of her best friends goes missing, her dad dies, she gets a stepdad that's a jackass and abuses her, and her other best friend suddenly appears in her life with crazy time rewinding powers, i think people aren't really being fair and are expecting her to act like a calm rational adult when that's completely unreasonable

I get why she does it, besides the first incident the other two are things that could happen to any teenager really. It does make me wonder about the story though
With her almost dying again with the train (The bullet backfiring can be avoided I'm sure, just don't tell her to shoot the bumper of the car) Is there like a Final Destination type thing where the timeline is trying to correct itself by keeping Chloe dead? If we have to save her life again in the 3rd episode I'm gonna start thinking something is up lol.

The bolded was my main issue. If you're really grasping for things to say, sure, maybe you can introduce some extra shit and then try and make light of that. I personally didn't find it that believable or remotely comforting, but that's what happens when you're desperate. The problem was, as you said, there were loads of other places to go.
I did nothing in either episode but hold Kate's hand and tell her she was pretty
(note to jediyoshi: being sarcastic again, you only get to play max as a lesbian during the chloe scenes)
yet instead of talking about how supportive I was during actual conversations or more about the people who demonstrably care about her, I'm talking about erasing lipstick off a mirror before literally anyone saw it and erasing whiteboard messages every day. I think she easily could have talked about how Taylor is also on her side (assuming you talk to her in the dorms both days) and how some people at the school so believe in Kate, instead of just impotent pointless shit that paints a clearer picture of how bad things really are.

While I feel
that you are right that you could say a whole more about the side (and possibly more effective) things that you did, I think it's the fact they weren't "decisions that have consequences", however, I still think that what Max says would be comforting. Also it would be very hard to to keep track of every single combination of those decisions made from a gameplay perspective. At least after you save her, if you read Max's journal she talks about how happy the school is that she didn't commit suicide and that Kate realizes this.

While I feel
that you are right that you could say a whole more about the side (and possibly more effective) things that you did, I think it's the fact they weren't "decisions that have consequences", however, I still think that what Max says would be comforting. Also it would be very hard to to keep track of every single combination of those decisions made from a gameplay perspective. At least after you save her, if you read Max's journal she talks about how happy the school is that she didn't commit suicide and that Kate realizes this.
Fair enough, it is surprising some of the things that don't have consequences. It does seem that some of the optional things without consequences would have been more fitting. I'm just about there on my second play so I'll see if I still feel the same way when it comes back. It was just a very striking feeling of inappropriateness at the time. I might have felt cheated
if I hadn't successfully saved her.

jediyoshi

If you think you can have a discussion about why you think it would be appropriate to talk the way Max does in the episode, like others have, I'd be happy to continue talking to you. Otherwise, not so much. PM if you think you can format my "offensive" post better without changing the text.

I'm going to just have to agree to disagree by virtue of your choosing to not actually acknowledge what the dialogue is at face value to begin with. Besides, why stop there?
Why doesn't your dissonance start at the part where someone is trying to kill them self over a video posted online? It's so gauche and contrived! You know what someone wants to hear when they're about to commit suicide? Some comforting pragmatism and to be made feeling just a little more alienated in their final moments.

I'm going to just have to agree to disagree by virtue of your choosing to not actually acknowledge what the dialogue is at face value to begin with. Besides, why stop there?
Why doesn't your dissonance start at the part where someone is trying to kill them self over a video posted online? It's so gauche and contrived! You know what someone wants to hear when they're about to commit suicide? Some comforting pragmatism and to be made feeling just a little more alienated in their final moments.
Is this your idea of having a discussion? The bold was my exact complaint. I don't know what your deal is, but your hostility is ridiculous and misguided.

Autumn Fish - Life is Strange Might Have the Most Realistically Flawed Characters in Video Games

In other words, the characters aren't built for the player or for the progression of story. Each character has their own quirks, personality traits, and experiences. Each character has a visible past, and you can glimpse it through subtle hints in dialogue or items and photos just laying around the room.

Episode 1 did such a great job setting up the characters that by the time Life is Strange Episode 2 rolled around, I found myself genuinely caring for quite a few of them — in positive AND negative ways.

I don't have to use my imagination to flesh out any of these characters in my head. Life is Strange hosts a full cast of personalities that are totally unique in their own right, and know exactly where they stand. I can't stop thinking about the characters from Life is Strange as real people, despite knowing that's not the case.

I feel like I forged a relationship with these people, and it's incredibly rewarding, but dangerous for your heart-strings.

Totally agreed.

Steamlord

I half agree I guess. I like the ideas of the characters but the dialogue often brings them down and makes them less convincing than they could be with a better writer. I kind of have to look past what they actually say and just go with the general idea of it rather than the actual delivery to appreciate it a lot of the time.
Even Kate's scene, as well done as it was, fell victim to the "listing the things you did right and wrong" trope that kind of broke the immersion - though I was still pretty blown away by the scene despite that. Plus I think Kate is the best-written character in the game, though maybe that's just because she doesn't have obnoxious mannerisms like most of the other characters.
I really am enjoying the game though, despite some glaring flaws.

Pilgrimzero

Love this game. I kind of wish it was a tv show as well.

I'm surprised some people had trouble getting the good outcome at the end.

Also I probably watched Dana dance longer than I should have...

Could someone sum up what he says? Can't get the video to play for whatever reason
Here's the transcript. The dialog from
Jefferson's side sounds incredibly awkward and wooden in the video.
J: You have to talk to me, Kate.

K: Why? It's all over, like me.

J: Knock off this martyr crap.

K:What do you want from me?

J: I want you to be honest.

K:Nobody believes me anyway.

J: Stop acting so brittle.

K:Being on a viral video does that.

J: Maybe this is your way of getting attention.

K: That's really mean, Mr. Jefferson. You just don't get it... Just leave me alone!

Anteater

Yeah that's a weird loop, I didn't get to see that on my playthrough. I remember there were a few more lines before Kate leaves as well, where Jefferson said he'd like to help but he can't because of the position he's in or something like that, then Kate left.

Everyone seems like a dick so far tbh after the whole Kate incident.

I blamed
Jefferson.

You still have no hard evidence against Nathan so blaming him doesn't accomplish anything.

I actually am turning around on Chloe's step-dad somewhat. I think he is a well meaning dick. And while he did sorta harass Kate the other day, I think he realizes what he did was wrong.

Jefferson on the other hand was either unaware or ignoring Kate's depression and the principle was absolutely right that it's his job as the teacher to be aware of that shit and try to help his students out when they need it. He was the last person that Kate spoke to before she went to throw herself off a building because of his negligence. So he gets the blame for this one.

Certinty

I love this game so damn much and the more I play of it the more I love it.

I mean I must have played certain parts of the game like 5 times already and with different choices there is still new dialogue I haven't come across before.

LUXURY

Mmmmmm. I feel like I messed up royally after reading some of this.
I blamed Nathan because I didn't really get to hear what Jefferson said to her.
Without a doubt Nathan is sneaky, but I don't think he's the true root of Kate's problems.
It's killing me that she wound up dying on the root, and part of me really wants to go back and play it and try to save her but at the same time it's best to have a story play out like this and NOT go back. What should I do? If I wanted to, could I play certain parts and have it remember my actions and save?

Choomp

Banned
Mmmmmm. I feel like I messed up royally after reading some of this.
I blamed Nathan because I didn't really get to hear what Jefferson said to her.
Without a doubt Nathan is sneaky, but I don't think he's the true root of Kate's problems.
It's killing me that she wound up dying on the root, and part of me really wants to go back and play it and try to save her but at the same time it's best to have a story play out like this and NOT go back. What should I do? If I wanted to, could I play certain parts and have it remember my actions and save?

What's actually
the best choice here in people's opinion? Blamed Nathan at first as well, but I feel like once that unfolded I did wrong. Was going with David okay? I didn't even think so when I did it, Jefferson does seem kind of suspicious...

Storm360

What's actually
the best choice here in people's opinion? Blamed Nathan at first as well, but I feel like once that unfolded I did wrong. Was going with David okay? I didn't even think so when I did it, Jefferson does seem kind of suspicious...

I blamed Nathan, I reported the
bathroom incident
in Episode 1, and blaming him seemed to go down well.

Tizoc

Gonna replay Ep. 1+2 at my friend's place when I visit him tomorrow. He's gonna kill me when I tell him Ep. 3's releasing in May XD.

Reedirect

What's actually

Did the same thing. He's certainly the biggest ass of all the characters, but I feel like it might be too obvious. They certainly spent a long time antagonizing him for us. Too much time, really.

Choomp

Banned
Did the same thing. He's certainly the biggest ass of all the characters, but I feel like it might be too obvious. They certainly spent a long time antagonizing him for us. Too much time, really.

Same, feels too obvious, I think he and Victoria will both come around, and I really hope so.

Same, feels too obvious, I think he and Victoria will both come around, and I really hope so.

I think Victoria might
(Kate's suicide/attempt obviously effected her since she was crying in the end sequence)
, but I think Nathan's pretty firmly in the black hat category.

lumi7890

lil

My latest drawing:

tumblr_nm3ul893wR1tfsmcfo1_500.jpg

I'm not happy with my LIS style so far. Gonna try an up close, more realistic one next? I think I'm trying too hard to emulate the game and it's throwing me off my A game. 囧rz

LUXURY

What's actually

Exactly how I felt. David is weird and kinda alerting, but I honestly don't think he did anything. As far as what I've been through with Nathan and what I've been told and seen through the episodes, I choose Nathan but for some reason I feel it's incredibly off. And maybe that is the point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even if Nathan isn't the cause of everything, he's made it very apparent that he's an absolute shithead. I don't know how they could really paint him any other way even if that specific choice may not pan out as expected.

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished ep 2. Wow, that was fantastic. GOTY 2015 if this holds up. Really loved how the roof scene played out with things you'd know if you investigated.

Ps: Train section was kind of glitchy at points and how come I couldn't get a pic of the chemistry stuff.

Top Bottom