• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Gorger

Aaah kinda want to highlight that spoiler but I shouldn't! I won't!

eoQ4fZK.png

Same day as Witcher 3...

53518699.jpg

jediyoshi

what behavior is the game actually rewarding by insisting that I stalk every player on the off-chance I'll have to remember micro-details in order to save their lives?

Every character? Between the two episodes you didn't feel like the game was explicitly pointing you to the fact that that specific character had any more narrative weight than any other? Entire scenes went by with this one character and their actual mechanical function based on either the previous whole episode or this whole genre of modern adventure game didn't clue you in to having to pay attention to details? You're arbitrarily affixing the idea of 'reward' with how you're labeling the outcomes. If you feel 'punished' by what you did, you probably shouldn't have went for a narrative based game that isn't keeping track of a score to begin with.

Reedirect

what behavior is the game actually rewarding by insisting that I stalk every player on the off-chance I'll have to remember micro-details in order to save their lives? What's the point? What's the message? What're you actually rewarding here?

It rewards patience and thoroughness, it pushes you to invest yourself in the world and characters a little more than an ordinary cinematic adventure game of today (where you're mostly the spectator, with occasional QTE and decision-making). If anything, I think it's good when a game rewards a more detailed exploring of the world, making your time spent with it a little more meaningful (aka having an easier time with the climax of the second episode than someone who rushed through it like crazy).

It's actually one of the game's biggest strengths really, and what separates it from Telltale and Quantic Dream games.

I agree. I find it very rewarding that you CAN rush through the game, not giving a shit about the other characters and just minding your own business doing what you have to do to progress the story, but that doing so can prevent you from understanding them and their problems and ultimately from being there for them in the time of their need. Kinda like in real life.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd actually agree with his point somewhat.
Most of the stuff you can use in the scene he's complaining about is found out just by being nosy. Reading personal belongings and whatnot. None of the information you have is really ever communicated to Max in anyway that would actually suggest she's a good friend to Kate. They probably should have had like an optional scene where you can spend time with her and you find out some more stuff about her. Using the phone call and if you changed her drawing board and erased video links and whatnot are good elements of how you act as a friend toward her. The stuff with her family and her favorite bible quote are not handled that well.

I don't agree with his over the top reaction to it, but I do think they should probably not use rifling through your friends junk as a testament to friendship.

Danj

Life is Strange first ;)

Yeah I hear that! I got gifted The Witcher 3 for my birthday last week, but Life Is Strange is definitely going to take priority! Plus it'll only take a few hours to play through anyway, whereas Witcher 3 is like eleventy hundred BILLION hours.

Yeah I hear that! I got gifted The Witcher 3 for my birthday last week, but Life Is Strange is definitely going to take priority! Plus it'll only take a few hours to play through anyway, whereas Witcher 3 is like eleventy hundred BILLION hours.
Seems Witcher 3 will be unlocking on the 18th at 7PM for EST so I'll probably play it first, but the actual 19th is LiS day

Szadek

I don't really have the choice,because my PS4 isn't with my right now,but I probably would play LiS first,simply because it's 2-3 hours long and not say over 100.

Liamc723

For those of you worrying about balancing episode 3 with The Witcher 3, I will say that episode 3 took me 2 and a half hours to complete. That's the shortest any of the episodes have taken me to finish.

Choomp

Banned
For those of you worrying about balancing episode 3 with The Witcher 3, I will say that episode 3 took me 2 and a half hours to complete. That's the shortest any of the episodes have taken me to finish.

Anything else you want to tell us about episode 3? (spoiler free pls)

Liamc723

I don't know, just be vague about what happens. Think we're going to like it? Surprised?

Personally, I think the main thing episode 3 has going for it is the ending, and it will definitely surprise you. I'm really looking forward to reading people's reactions to it on here.

Does anybody know if the episode will be unlocked on steam early? iirc both episode 1 and 2 came out before the store usually updates.

If it all works out the same as last time, the review embargo will match up with the Steam release. Embargo is 19th May 2015 @ 00:01 (15 hours from now).

PS. Reviewing this game without talking about certain things difficult!

Personally, I think the main thing episode 3 has going for it is the ending, and it will definitely surprise you. I'm really looking forward to reading people's reactions to it on here.
See you say that, but know I'm going to be expecting some twist there at the end, and I have a very vivid imagination so...

Omikaru

I didn't see the Ep2 trailer, so I had no idea how spoilerific these trailers can be.

Watched it. It's awesome. Kinda wish I hadn't watched it, though.

The wait for tomorrow is gonna kill me.

chadskin

Episode 3 - May 19 release times

Xbox One
10:01 AEST (Australia)
00:01 (UTC)
1:01 BST (UK)
17:01 PDT -18th May - PDT (West Coast America)

Xbox 360
19:01 AEST (Australia)
09:01 (UTC)
10:01 BST (UK)
02:01 PDT (West Coast America)

PS4
00:01 AEST (Australia)
00:01 BST (UK)
16:01 PDT (West Coast America)

PS3
00:01 AEST (Australia)
00:01 BST (UK)
16:01 PDT (West Coast America)

PC
10:01 AEST (Australia)
01:01 BST (UK)
17:01 PDT -18th May (West Coast America)

*please note, some digital stores update at different times depending on your region/state/location. The game will still be released May 19.
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=155815&p=2126131#post2126131

Zemm

I'm downloading the update on steam now, I wish I could play this tonight instead of having to wait until 1am, which means waiting until tomorrow :(

Certinty

2 hours to go!

Have to wake up early tomorrow but will play a bit before I go to bed. Best game I've played all year by a long way.

Top Bottom