• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Oh come on. The only discussion that'll happen where anything FFXIII/Lightning is involved is the usual crowd of people with drive by posts and one liners to remind everyone how much they want to have hate sex with [insert arbitrary figure at SE or Lightning here]. Which is fine, but when it's the same tired "discussion" over and over in every XIII related thread, at some point the gif starts to become justified.

Agreed. Also, it was used in rather good fashion in a positive way toward the game and Lightning.

Looking forward to playing when my copy finally gets here.

So, wait, are fal'Cie themselves gods? No, right? FFXIII makes it seem like they are, but XIII-2 pretty much just tosses them aside, and you don't learn anything about them anymore.

That's weird. Might be Mwynn I guess? It really couldn't be anyone else but those two.

The closest thing to a physical representation of Etro and Mwyn is
Yuel. Buni made Etro, but she ended up looking like his mom, Mwyn. Linsay made the first human from Etro's blood, Yuel, and she ended up looking like Etro and by extension Mwynn,

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So, wait, are fal'Cie themselves gods? No, right? FFXIII makes it seem like they are, but XIII-2 pretty much just tosses them aside, and you don't learn anything about them anymore.
fal'Cie are gods, despite appearing machine-like. There are man-made fal'Cie (Proto fal'Cie), however, but the other fal'Cie are deities. The fal'Cie deities however, were also created, but not by mortal humans.

Kuja9001

Banned
Fans of FFXIII-2 - I'm sure there are quite a few of you here who would be very familiar with the ins and outs of that game's dreadful story - why exactly did Etro
give Caius her friggin' HEART? I don't care if it grants the guy immortality to protect Yeul or whatever. She basically gave a former Pulse L'Cie if I recall, an artifact that is both the closest physical manifestation of herself we've seen all trilogy, and an artifact that basically keeps the whole damn universe from being eternally fucked. And all it takes to screw everything up is someone else's blade to pierce the heart, kill her and doom the world. The trilogy has elected to pivot itself on the actions of the worst deity I have ever come across in fiction as far as I know of.

Ugh, re-discovering the magnitude of FFXIII-2's terrible logic and storytelling is painful. I cannot fathom with a single available cell left of my able mental capacity to think how Lightning Returns' story can be in any way just as bad or even conceivably worse.

Actually at the time when Etro gave
Caius the Heart Of Chaos, it wasn't a world ending device yet. It wasn't until Etro fell into a coma and took refuge inside the heart that it became a world ender.

fal'Cie are gods, despite appearing machine-like. There are man-made fal'Cie (Proto fal'Cie), however, but the other fal'Cie are deities. The fal'Cie deities however, were also created, but not by mortal humans.
So, then, Titan, Shiva, Carbuncle, and all the other classic FF summons (save Bahamut) are on equal footing with Bhuni and Etro? That's what I don't get. XIII-2 makes it seem like those two are a tier above fal'Cie.

the real Gods are Buni and his creations: Etro ,Linsay, Pulse,they are refereed to as fa'cie as well. The many fal'cie encountered on Pulse and Cocoon are Pulse and Linsay's offspring. They are lesser gods that while powerful, are given tasks they can't escape from unless they find a loophole: L'cie.

Shinta

Banned
The closest thing to a physical representation of Etro and Mwyn is
Yuel. Buni made Etro, but she ended up looking like his mom, Mwyn. Linsay made the first human from Etro's blood, Yuel, and she ended up looking like Etro and by extension Mwynn,

I forgot that, nice catch.
So, take Yeul, add some wings and make her about 20x larger and that's kind of what Etro looks like.

So, then, Titan, Shiva, Carbuncle, and all the other classic FF summons (save Bahamut) are on equal footing with Bhuni and Etro? That's what I don't get. XIII-2 makes it seem like those two are a tier above fal'Cie.

They are.

Buni is God and he made Etro.

Titan is a Pulse fal'cie.

Carbuncle is a Coccon fal'cie.

Shiva is an Ediolion, beings sent by Etro to the l'cie that have "lost their way."

Darkmakaimura

Bhunivelze created the fal'Cie or at least Orphan from what I understand. The Eidolons are messengers but powerful beings near the level of fal'Cie. That's a nutshell description.

Edit: Pretty much what Dragmire said.

Darkmakaimura

Ok, so, Mwynn created Bhunuvelze, then Bhunivelze created Lindzei, Etro and other god that I forgot now, then they created the fal'cie.

Thats right?
Pretty much.

Bhunivelze is pretty much inspired off the Demiurge of Gnostic belief.

Shinta

Banned
Ok, so, Mwynn created Bhunuvelze, then Bhunivelze created Lindzei, Etro and other god that I forgot now, then they created the fal'cie.

Thats right?

Edit: Just remembered the other god, Pulse.

Yep, that's how it goes. And Etro sends the summons to l'cie to aid them (Shiva, Odin, etc.). XIII-2 spoiler
Lightning gains control of the summons when she inherits Etro's remaining powers, becoming a demi-god. She controls an army of them in XIII-2's intro.

Lindzei created Cocoon fal'cie, including Orphan.

Pulse created Pulse fal'cie, including Anima.

Pretty much.

Bhunivelze is pretty much inspired off the Demiurge of Gnostic belief.

I was confused because of this summary:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/faqs/63575

The Mwynn was called Muin there.

Yep, that's how it goes. And Etro sends the summons to l'cie to aid them (Shiva, Odin, etc.).

Lindzei created Cocoon fal'cie, including Orphan.

Pulse created Pulse fal'cie, including Anima.

Yeah, thanks for that too. I was getting kind lost, they should have explained this better in the games.

It really makes one wonder why they decided to create some amazingly cool and interesting mythology, and then proceed to stir it up into some shit porridge.

His name is Toriyama.

I mean... I've enjoyed the XIII games for the most part, I actually really liked XIII-2, but the storytelling has been abysmal which is why I find it unfortunate that such cool mythology wasn't given proper treatment in the actual source material.

Zukuu

Banned
The first numbered Final Fantasy (+spin offs) entry (apart from MMOs) that I won't buy. That's been roughly ~20 years...
God, I hate Lightning. :X Hoping this is the last we see of her. Rejoice!

Only question I have is for people that finished the game WILL SERAH LIFE (AGAIN)?

The mythology is amazing and all they did in the 2 games was ignore it. Hope it gets more attention in the LR.

Yep. I'll admit, I've beaten both games and have played them quite a bit, and I have no fucking idea what's going on. Either it's bad writing or sheer ignorance.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The first numbered Final Fantasy (+spin offs) entry (apart from MMOs) that I won't buy. That's been roughly ~20 years...

Only question I have is for people that finished the game WILL SERAH LIFE (AGAIN)?

FFXIII is now DBZ so... yes.

Toth

Somewhat incorrect. Mythology spoilers, no LR.
The only true 'gods' are Bhunivelze and his mother Mwynn. Lindzei, Pulse, Etro, etc are just 'machines' created using crystals to do his bidding. Etro especially is a failed creation who acts foolishly (as per the myth). However, the one thing to remember is that everything that happens to the world was doomed to happen anyway when Bhuni overthrew his mother and seized power. Etro actually threw a very complicated wrench in the plan when she inadvertingly created humanity.

Zukuu

Banned
FFXIII is now DBZ so... yes.
YAY. Now I have every information from the game that I wanted to know. I actually forgot she died at the end of FF13-2 before seeing / reading it somewhere. Not that anything ever makes sense in FF13 or FF13-2 to me. (why did she die again? she just succumbed for no reason)

Toth

Congrats....? You have played Dirge of Cerberus, then?

Honestly I'm not really sure why there's so much Lightning hate. I get that they have over-exposed her, but I have a lot of problems with these games and she isn't one of them. She's far from compelling or three-dimensional and her voice actress gives no fucks, but I don't find her to be unlikable. She's like a male Squall, just without the character development that Squall got that, well, made Squall fucking awesome by the end of his story.

It's really absurd. Watch Spoony's FF 13 review / playthrough. He read them just to get the gist of it. Also, FF13's story is the stupist thing ever if you think about it. All they had to do was: NOTHING. x)

Great watch. It's a bit too nitpicky in part one, but the later parts really point out some OBVIOUS flaws - gameplay-, and story-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIOXqHz_2MY

Lol I like Spoony's playthrough/review of FFXIII. It is exactly what I was thinking when I was playing through FFXIII the first time. I wanted to like it so bad!!!

Edit:
Before Spoony though there was this guy who was never able to finish the video series but finished the game and started the play through review he was doing. He was pretty amusing.

http://youtu.be/YCDV5fsErZM

Zukuu

Banned
Honestly I'm not really sure why there's so much Lightning hate. I get that they have over-exposed her, but I have a lot of problems with these games and she isn't one of them. She's far from compelling or three-dimensional and her voice actress gives no fucks, but I don't find her to be unlikable. She's like a male Squall, just without the character development that Squall got that, well, made Squall fucking awesome by the end of his story.

For me it was the enforced "I'm so cool" and the bitch-slaping that were really out of place. I sincerely hate her character. She's just too distant, too aloof, too cold and that's made her not likeable. I blame the writing more than anything tho. It's not "her" fault, it's the fault of the atrocious character-, dialogue- and storywriter. That the game around her has just as much flaws doesn't help her.

I was btw secretly hoping this game would be awesome so I could make a guilty purchase as I'm a huge FF fanboy, but after hearing and reading about it from people that played it, I just can't convince myself to pay money for this and make Square further think, that the trilogy was a good idea.

Darkmakaimura

Somewhat incorrect. Mythology spoilers, no LR.
The only true 'gods' are Bhunivelze and his mother Mwynn. Lindzei, Pulse, Etro, etc are just 'machines' created using crystals to do his bidding. Etro especially is a failed creation who acts foolishly (as per the myth). However, the one thing to remember is that everything that happens to the world was doomed to happen anyway when Bhuni overthrew his mother and seized power. Etro actually threw a very complicated wrench in the plan when she inadvertingly created humanity.
Yeah, pretty much. The fal'Cie are products of a Divine Being. I call them 'gods' but they're more akin to Angelic type of beings. Humans consider fal'Cie to be gods, though, or at least Pulse, Lindzei and Etro. Regardless of the term, they were all designed by one being.

It is interesting how Bhunivelze may or may not be the supreme creator of at least the Fabula Nova universe due to his mother. I'm not sure exactly what she did prior to her murder but like I mentioned above, a lot of it seems quite similar to the whole Gnostic belief of the Demiurge.

Honestly I'm not really sure why there's so much Lightning hate. I get that they have over-exposed her, but I have a lot of problems with these games and she isn't one of them.

Appearances in crossover games where everyone else is included, and cameos that equal to the same number that, say, Cloud and Squall got aren't really "overexposure." It's just that people want the character buried in the hopes SE will focus on XV

It's really absurd. Watch Spoony's FF 13 review / playthrough. He read them just to get the gist of it. Also, FF13's story is the stupist thing ever if you think about it. All they had to do was: NOTHING. x)

Great watch. It's a bit too nitpicky in part one, but the later parts really point out some OBVIOUS flaws - gameplay-, and story-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIOXqHz_2MY

I like Spoony and all, but he fails at critical thinking in that review on a regular basis. He misconstrues character motivations, refuses to do any kind of analysis, shows an inability to suspend his disbelief on the simplest of levels, refuses to acknowledge any symbolism, etc. Yes he brings up good points, but they are buried in all of this other stuff. Terrible "review".

Kuja9001

Banned
Tell me how many years it took for FF7 to get a sequel.

That has what to do with anything?

How many cameos have they had or VII has had in general?

Appearances in crossover games where everyone else is included, and cameos that equal to the same number that, say, Cloud and Squall got aren't really "overexposure." It's just that people want the character buried in the hopes SE will focus on XV

They're going to cry when Noctis gets his turn.

Cloud has had 25 in 17 years.

Lightning has had 17 in 4 years.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have been, but for people who don't like her, you have to admit that is quite a bit in that small a period.

Lightning has had as much exposure as Cloud and XIII has been out for how many years? And I think having sequels so soon after the original game counts as big time exposure.

Top Bottom