• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Holmes

Question to Canadians who have used Digital River before. I ordered my LR CE using the "International Express" shipping method when I purchased. Does anyone know if that's through Canada Post, or USPS, or FedEx?

I like Spoony and all, but he fails at critical thinking in that review on a regular basis. He misconstrues character motivations, refuses to do any kind of analysis, shows an inability to suspend his disbelief on the simplest of levels, refuses to acknowledge any symbolism, etc. Yes he brings up good points, but they are buried in all of this other stuff. Terrible "review".

Well like he said Spoony is pretty nitpicky in part one and two but he deals with it. It's part 3,4,5 and 6 where he brings up some great points and in those parts constantly refers to the data logs.

Loakum

Banned
Hmmm...I know I ordered the Collector's Edition of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, with 2 day shipping. Still no shipping confirmation email. Should I be concerned? btw, I got the order confirmation and my credit card was charged. It's just the shipping/tracking number email, I still don't have.

ShinMaruku

I will come out here and rank this better than 13 and 13-2 (That battle system killed the games for me) the story is eeeeehhh but it's Square it's not often they hit a story well it's the theme that move me and this was off in that too.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hmmm...I know I ordered the Collector's Edition of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, with 2 day shipping. Still no shipping confirmation email. Should I be concerned? btw, I got the order confirmation and my credit card was charged. It's just the shipping/tracking number email, I still don't have.

It's Digital River. You should always be concerned.

Even if you get shipping confirmation.

rataven

I got my shipment notice from SE and it randomly mentioned something about a $19.99 discount, yet nowhere can I see that a discount was applied and the total is still the same. Whatevs SE, whatevs.

Anyway, despite probably knowing better, I'm actually really looking forward to this game. Lightning is the worst but I get to see Fang and Noel again so that's good enough for me. And the Cloud costume too. I fell for that -- hook, line and sinker.

Damn it, Kagari. You had a shot to pull off a Shit Mountain style OP and you blew it. :(
Just want to say: I'm really glad Kagari went with a straight-up informative OT. The cards will fall where they may afterward.

If a title is genuinely unwanted or trash, well...it'll be torn to pieces in short order anyway.

As someone who prefers story and narrative over all, including gameplay when it comes down to it, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the combat mechanics of LR--it was actually a blast to play for me. Sadly the way the game is set up, along with its often mediocre writing, hampers the whole experience. At least I can't call it disappointing as I felt similar playing through XIII and XIII-2.

I wonder how the English voice acting is, all the preview clips have been shockingly bad.

Caffeine

Don't buy this game. You're just encouraging Square Enix to make more trash.

another lightning trilogy you say ! im sure Toriyama would be down :p im sure he has much more fan fiction to bless us with.

sorry already payed for on psn :p

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
b8kqxsa.jpg
Everytime.
Oh man, I just got this.

Would return again! Actually I think I just gave it to amazon for some gift card credit. Worth it.

Dark_castle

Having difficulties comprehending how the story was conceived the way it's become? Here's an easy solution to your problems:

45758338.jpg

MarkusRJR

God damn, to get prepped for this game I just started watching PokeCapn's and KFJ's LP (the guys who did the internet-famous Sonic 2006 LP) of FFXIII-2 and started reading about the mythos and lore of the FFXIII series.

All I have to say is: How in the fuck did no one at SE think this was convoluted and confusing? I literally feel like I've lost my will to play the game just reading it all, and I only read about the different fal'cie to understand their motives.

Zeigfried, Cloud, Aerith, Yuna, Yuna x-2, Lovely Moogle Style, Holy Asgard, Ultimate Liberator lara croft, 7 samurai and the XIII and XIII-2 outfits if you have the saves

am i missing any?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can't catch a break!

Now that this game is done, are the people that worked on this going to work on Final Fantasy XV next? Surely not another XIII game. All they said its the end of lightning's story though.

I'm pretty sure they're already working on the next main entry, probably XVI or XV-2. Kitase is a big actor in S-E and Toriyama's seems to keep having a certain support by higher-ups. They're story is not finished yet.

Perfo

Man I can't wait for the game to release, it's months we just get to read comments from 3 players that didn't like the import version (and it was expected from the moment that they also didn't like XIII and XIII-2). You jump in the DEMO thread and mostly are positive comments from newcomers, while here there's still too much negativity coming from the usual people.

6 days for Europe. Just 6 days and I'll be louder than ever regarding what's actually GOOD about this game and not just what's BAD :p

Toriyama needs his Knight. And I'm willing to play the role!

Perfo

God damn, to get prepped for this game I just started watching PokeCapn's and KFJ's LP (the guys who did the internet-famous Sonic 2006 LP) of FFXIII-2 and started reading about the mythos and lore of the FFXIII series.

All I have to say is: How in the fuck did no one at SE think this was convoluted and confusing? I literally feel like I've lost my will to play the game just reading it all, and I only read about the different fal'cie to understand their motives.

FFXIII's story was pretty simple and straightforward, focusing on the stories of the main characters only and their inner fights. One of the simpliest stories in the franchise without huge robots coming from the sea destroying cities and meteors falling and get blocked by magic from the living earth. There were 6 humans, and they had to save their home. That's it. Pretty simple. All the rest is background for making the world/lore richer than what it appears.

XIII-2 got more convoluted, mostly because it introduced time-travel and when they do that in a jRPG, things get crazy. But as a jRPG player I confess, that's usually what's typical of the genre and so didn't caught me unprepared. If you follow carefully the plot, you understand most of it without further reads. But again, it's what makes jRPGs unique compared to RPGs, less linear and boring stories but crazy shit is expected to happen at a certain point. They're fun because of this.

As for LR: FFXIII, I still have to play it... but it seems very fun where the plot's going, I love the idea of one hero being used by a God by false promises of bringing forth miracles :p

Blu(e)

Zeigfried, Cloud, Aerith, Yuna, Yuna x-2, Lovely Moogle Style, Holy Asgard, Ultimate Liberator lara croft, 7 samurai and the XIII and XIII-2 outfits if you have the saves

am i missing any?

There's also this "Art of War" costume. I also meant from a story perspective. Everything is wrapped up and there isn't anything else to be explored?
Maybe a Animal House style ending DLC?
I feel more comfortable in buying games that has superfluous day one DLC than games with expected story DLC in the future.

Perfo

This is kinda interesting, for now Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is rated better by japanese players than both XIII-2 and XIII giving its scores on mk2, a site that collets japanese opinions on recent games released. For comparisons:

Based on this LR is the best in the trilogy by a large margin.

SirNinja

Looking at the scores now:

Game informer - 2.25 points lower than XIII; 1 point lower than XIII-2.

Gamekult - 1 point lower than XIII-2

OXM - 2 points lower than XIII; 1 point lower than XIII-2

GamesTM - 1 point lower than XIII and XIII-2

And those guys are typically on the high end.

Not true. OXM (-3.5%), GamesTM (-7.4%), and especially Gamekult (-14.3%) all issue scores below that of the average critic. Only GameInformer gives higher-than-average scores, and they do so by a measly 0.6%.

Just because you personally didn't like the game does not mean publications who scored it higher than you would have are "on the high end" of reviewers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So, has anyone confirmed that I only need a save from FFXIII/XIII-2 in order to get the two additional suits?

I'm going to be that guy.

Is there any difference between the 360 version and PS3 version? Is there a reason I should get one over the other?

I got FFXIII for the PS3 and FFXIII-2 for the 360, don't know which to get it on this time around.

Perfo

This is kinda interesting, for now Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is rated better by japanese players than both XIII-2 and XIII giving its scores on mk2, a site that collets japanese opinions on recent games released. For comparisons:

And I noticed just now that on amazon.co.jp it gets similar results from the votes of the community. My suspects were right, for XIII "fans" (that means, the only probably that bought this last entry in Japan) LR: FFXIII is the best entry in the trilogy. That's why I was never interested in the opinion of those people that never liked the series yet forced themselves in buying one last chapter. I always wanted opinions from people that actually bought the game because they loved the first two, same case as me. Now finding out that for them this is better than the previous two is what I was looking for. I can now expect an epic closure to one of my favorite series in the "series" (lol) and dismiss anything and anyone saying the contrary. For Toriyama, for Lightning, for myself!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So yeah, after spending 30+ hours with the demo I pretty much acknowledged a lot of things. I know all of this is pretty much known already for the people who have played the retail game but it's good info for those who haven't seen much of the game.

- Blocking at the same moment as the enemy hits gives you a "perfect block". It reduces the damage taken by 100% if it's a melee hit, and gives your enemy a debuff (Debrave, Defaith, etc, depending on the enemies weakness). If you perfect block magic attacks, 90% of the damage will be reduced and the enemy will -not- get a debuff.

- By spamming the block button, you'll be pretty much guaranteed to perform a perfect block. However note that your ATB gauge on that specific paradigm will go down the drain really fast.

- If perfect blocking isn't your thing and you want to stick with the regular block, make sure to block with the paradigm that has the most block stat. Trust me, it makes a huge difference (for example: blocking with the blackmage deals 250 damage while blocking with the heartstealer deals 40 damage). Imagine the numbers you'll be mitigating when the enemy hits you for 5000+.

- The final attack in the combo, be it through regular attacks or magic casting is almost never worth it, because they take way too long time. Experiment with your abilities and figure out how many button presses you need to press for it to become the final attack. Just before the last attack, cancel out of the combo and switch paradigm. You'll gain tons of more ATB and you'll get more dps throughout the entire thing.

- ATB recharges faster with a specific paradigm if you're not currently using it.

- Performing a perfect evade/roll recharges your ATB with 80% of the initial evade cost. It's always a good idea to try perfect evading in order to get the max out of your ATB, which essentially is your battle tempo.

- I figured out that having block/roll/any-defensive-move on one button (for example, circle) is A LOT easier for the brain to acknowledge that you need to go into some sort of defensive maneuver. You'll be paradigm switching very often in this game, and by having the defensive stuff on one button, you'll adapt to it much quicker.

I got plenty of other stuff in my mind but I've got to do other stuff for now :lol

Zalman

I didn't really enjoy XIII that much but I really find the art style to be amazing. I almost feel like picking this game up just because of it. How important is it to have finished XIII and XIII-2 before playing this game? And how does it improve on the linearity of the first?

The opening CG in the demo is so good, although the bit where Lighting is lit by lightning is so much more absurd than I could have imagined from the gif.

And I noticed just now that on amazon.co.jp it gets similar results from the votes of the community. My suspects were right, for XIII "fans" (that means, the only probably that bought this last entry in Japan) LR: FFXIII is the best entry in the trilogy. That's why I was never interested in the opinion of those people that never liked the series yet forced themselves in buying one last chapter. I always wanted opinions from people that actually bought the game because they loved the first two, same case as me. Now finding out that for them this is better than the previous two is what I was looking for. I can now expect an epic closure to one of my favorite series in the "series" (lol) and dismiss anything and anyone saying the contrary. For Toriyama, for Lightning, for myself!

Jonah-hill-shock.gif

Finall Fantasy XIII-2 was utter crap,story was even worse, gameplay I never had an issue with however after Final Fantasy XIII I was fed up with it.

I'll get Final Fantasy XIII-Returns when it hits rock bottom price of 15-20 dollars, I wont have to wait long if Final Fantasy XIII-2 was any indication.

Sinople

You're missing the part where it says FFXIII was reviewed by 449 players, XIII-2 by 66 and LR by only 21...

Perfo

You're missing the part where it says FFXIII was reviewed by 449 players, XIII-2 by 66 and LR by only 21...

But that's normal, it's equal to the amount of sales dropping with each iteration. Same happens on amazon, with 3k for XIII and 400 for LR: FFXIII. Doesn't change a thing, it actually reinforce the fact that the people that bought LR, or most of them, are fans of the series and are rating this very high. That's all I wanted to hear from fans like me. I'm not here to listen to an hater of XIII saying to me XIII is a shit. An opinion that will never click with me. I need people I can trust that have same opinions of mine in regards to this.

Shinta

Banned
Can't catch a break!

Now that this game is done, are the people that worked on this going to work on Final Fantasy XV next? Surely not another XIII game. All they said its the end of lightning's story though.

My guess is they're going to go into FFX-3, considering Toriyama directed X-2 and they're hinting at X-3 pretty damn hard.

Perfo

My guess is they're going to go into FFX-3, considering Toriyama directed X-2 and they're hinting at X-3 pretty damn hard.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, probably they're more busy on X-3 than anything else. Hopefully for PS4/360 though.

FryHole

But that's normal, it's equal to the amount of sales dropping with each iteration. Same happens on amazon, with 3k for XIII and 400 for LR: FFXIII. Doesn't change a thing, it actually reinforce the fact that the people that bought LR, or most of them, are fans of the series and are rating this very high. That's all I wanted to hear from fans like me. I'm not here to listen to an hater of XIII saying to me XIII is a shit. An opinion that will never click with me. I need people I can trust that have same opinions of mine in regards to this.

Perfo, it doesn't reinforce a thing. How can you know that the fans who are rating LR highly didn't rate FFXIII/-2 even higher, but the average was then dragged down by the much higher number of people rating and disliking the previous games?

dramatis

Not true. OXM (-3.5%), GamesTM (-7.4%), and especially Gamekult (-14.3%) all issue scores below that of the average critic. Only GameInformer gives higher-than-average scores, and they do so by a measly 0.6%.

Just because you personally didn't like the game does not mean publications who scored it higher than you would have are "on the high end" of reviewers.
If most reviewers hover on a 5-10 spectrum of scoring instead of a 0-10 spectrum of scoring, then yes, those reviewers are usually on the "high end" because they normally score 8 and above. The statistics you provided are favored with the fact that that's exactly what most major reviewing sites do. When a game receives a 7 out of 10, you pretty much know that's the non-offensive, safe territory score. It looks good in theory but only without knowledge of how majority of reviews don't use the full scale.

This is the worst kind of thinking, isn't it? Seeking reviews that affirm your own views, rather than to look across the field objectively. Reminds me of Tea Partiers in America.

Perfo

This is the worst kind of thinking, isn't it? Seeking reviews that affirm your own views, rather than to look across the field objectively. Reminds me of Tea Partiers in America.

I don't think you'll ever ask your friend about the next star wars movie if that friend of your doesn't like star wars to begin with. Right?

Falk

that puzzling face
Funny thing that, a lot of my friends who love Star Wars have choice things to say about how Disney is handling Expanded Universe stuff.

Top Bottom