• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What I REALLY didn't like was the decision to use this level of gore in the game. Of course it's all B&W and you don't even see blood but, dismembering a kid? Really? I play much more violent games without even flinching but this decision was simply bad taste, imho.

i actually really enjoy the fact that they weren't afraid to kill a kid. the level of taboo that games place on virtual child death is stupid imo

Downhome

Am I the last person here to start playing this one? I bought it on Steam a few weeks back and just started it. Wow, so simple to play but such an amazing game. It does so much more with so little than most games that hit market.

Tomodachi

i actually really enjoy the fact that they weren't afraid to kill a kid. the level of taboo that games place on virtual child death is stupid imo
Of course the main character has to die, but dismembering? That's going too far just for the sake of it, it just doesn't add anything to the gameplay, nor to the story/meaning.

Number45

Of course the main character has to die, but dismembering? That's going too far just for the sake of it, it just doesn't add anything to the gameplay, nor to the story/meaning.

For me, the brutality of the deaths add a great deal to the tension and atmosphere of the game.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
For me, the brutality of the deaths add a great deal to the tension and atmosphere of the game.

This!

The fuck, people are seriously complaining about the deaths in the game? I love the fact that nearly every death in LIMBO made me CRINGE, making me try extra hard to not die. It was an awesome psychological effect that absolutely worked on me.

In fact, the game probably has the most cringe-worthy deaths of any game I have ever played and I couldn't tell you why. But fuck me, it works, and I love it for that.

Ricky_R

Agreed

Not only that, but I found myself killing the kid on purpose to see the cool dismembering animations and stuff. I think it was a nice addition too.

I just saw it as part of the art style and atmosphere.

Gameboy415

I picked the game up during a PS+ sale a while back (I believe it was around $7.49) and finally got around to playing it last night.

Despite all the fanfare and hype, I felt disappointed overall. The game is a perfect example of style over substance, in my opinion.
The art direction is beautiful and the sound design (or lack thereof) creates an appropriately haunting atmosphere that truly reflects the "Games are art" ideal.
However, games are meant to be played and since a large chunk of the game is essentially "hold-right-to-win" with no conflict/puzzles, I found the majority of the game to be quite boring.
I will say that a handful of the puzzles were fun and interesting, but my biggest issue with the game is the fact that there was essentially no story or resolution at the end.

The game essentially boils down to:
-Title screen
-Boy inexplicably wakes up in forest
-Boy runs right
-Boy kills a giant spider
-Boy solves some puzzles
-Boy
jumps through a glass wall and startles a girl
-CREDITS

Upon checking online after completing the game, the story is apparently:
"A boy enters a strange world to find/save his sister."

After learning that, the game made a bit more sense but I feel that a game's premise should be conveyed in the actual game somehow.

Jasoco

Banned
It's supposed to be the space between life and death. I believe the characters are dead, or at least the boy is, and this is his hell, to spend the rest of eternity searching for his sister over and over. Possibly as punishment for letting them both get killed. We're not really supposed to know the whole story. Like Braid, it's open to interpretation.
Braid was about unrequited love. A man chasing after a girl who wants nothing to do with him but not realizing until the very end. The atomic bomb backstory was just a coverup and way too obvious. THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE! SUCK IT!

Number45

large chunk of the game is essentially "hold-right-to-win" with no conflict/puzzles

You only know this once you've played through a section. Again, for me it all adds to the tension and atmosphere.

The best parts of "scary" games (assuming they're doing it right), are those moments where nothing is happening... but you know that it might at any time. By far my favourite parts of the first F.E.A.R game for example are the sections when you're walking around the offices that are still under construction and
literally NOTHING happens for the entire section
. <3

Films are the same. Not knowing > being bombarded with scary creatures.

fresquito

So I finished this today (started playing yesterday :lol ) and I've enjoyed my time, although, after all the praise, I was expecting a bit more. I like the art style, atmosphere, use of sound and some puzzles. I like that it dares with some taboos too. I don't like that many parts are trial and error, and I don't like the controls. They work in the puzzl sections, but the platforming and timing is a bit too loose to my liking. And... what the heck is the story supposed to mean? Well, I don't really care, it's evokative and I can think whatever I want, but maybe it's too artsy or pretentious without really backing up with anything to hold to.

Anyway, good game, if maybe too short.

UrbanRats

It does.
It has a completely different feeling, this (LIMBO's) world is roothless, cruel and indifferent (much like the real one, actually).

Jasoco

Banned
Newsflash: The character is already dead. Who cares if he dies again? That's why he keeps coming back, because it's his hell... Well, his almost-hell.

Mr_Zombie

However, games are meant to be played and since a large chunk of the game is essentially "hold-right-to-win" with no conflict/puzzles, I found the majority of the game to be quite boring.
I will say that a handful of the puzzles were fun and interesting, but my biggest issue with the game is the fact that there was essentially no story or resolution at the end.

Saying that the game was "hold right to win" is like saying that Super Mario Bros. was a "hold right to win" game. I think that the game was paced really good and that the proportions of puzzles, platforming and simply walking for the sake of building the atmosphere were ok. I definitely didn't found the game to be boring. Although lots of trial and error parts were rather frustrating.

The story, or rather basically lack of it, disappoints, though. I was hoping for some resolution, but as Jasoco said, the game is basically about a boy in hell (or limbo) - he cannot die and cannot save/find his sister either; he will go through the adventure again and again.

Anyway, does the ending change if you find all lights or are they there just for achievements sake?

GQman2121

Banned
Has anyone been able to beat this with less than five deaths? I died an awful lot during the last few chapters so I haven't event attempted the one sitting achievement.

Number45

Has anyone been able to beat this with less than five deaths? I died an awful lot during the last few chapters so I haven't event attempted the one sitting achievement.

I did it on my first proper attempt.

Run 1: Fun
Run 2: Look for hidden stuff
Run 3: Less than five deaths (I think I did it with two)

Once you know what's coming the game is pretty easy.

had this for ages. didn't play it. On a whim, booted it up and spent a good 2-3 hours.

The visuals are cool but after 3 hours, I craved colour. with poorer visuals, this game wouldn't even matter. The imagery work on the look really does add a lot to the game

Fairly easy. You kind of learn to predict what they're going to want you to do; not the hugest fan of running all the way left and then all the way right as some of the puzzle neccssitate.

at the 80%ish completion mark so looking forward to wrapping up

oatmeal

Banned
Wanted to buy it on 360, but I never did...today it's in the Humble Bundle. For the first time in years, I got a new game, and played it until I was finished.

What a great fucking game.

Perfect length, perfect style, perfect controls, no shitty puzzles...

And the ending was fantastic.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy the game.

But I'm freaking stuck on a gravity puzzle. I don't want any help, but maybe you can say yes or no if I'm doing the trick right:

It's the part where you have the gravity box for up and down. There's a crate that lifts up after you let that machine gun shoot the rope. Anyway, there's a row that moves back in forth. I move the crate to it to climb up the moving row, but there's another row. I somehow need to get the box and myself on the second platform so I can pull myself up.

I've tried to push the crate on the roof to the far right of the screen where the ladder is and jump upside to the ladder, but that doesn't let me continue on.

I've tried to push the crate and jump forward as I hit the gravity button, but nothing. Is this the correct way of solving the puzzle?

Ok, so I read there's another crate. I found it and solved the puzzle..........then the game was pretty much over.

I don't know what Limbo was suppose to be. It didn't feel like a platformer, because there wasn't much platforming at all. It didn't feel like a puzzle game, because there weren't many intricate puzzles to solve. Plus, for a 2-3 hour game, it should've been priced at $10. =\

Tyrax

I just started playing this game today on XBLA. Wow, great game! I wasn't expecting much, but the atmosphere is incredible for being so minimal. I just got up the part with
other kids
and its pretty spooky. Death seams cheap sometimes, stupid
bear traps
. I still think it's weird that the kid wakes up from the dead abandoned.

Top Bottom