• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

J-Roderton

vferrel said:
Been meaning to go through another playthrough of LIMBO. My 2nd favorite game after Red Dead from 2010, and probably my favorite XBLA game ever. Just loved the atmosphere.

Oh yeah. I love how it was so creepy and you didn't really know what was going on exactly.

Jroderton said:
Oh yeah. I love how it was so creepy and you didn't really know what was going on exactly.
I just remember the first time I stepped on a bear trap; it looks like a piece of grass, but then you step on it and your head pops off. It was really startling, and set the mood for what type of game I was getting into.

Number45

Jasoco said:
Where would it be located in Windows? Sorry, I'm not as familiar with the file layout of Windows 7.
It's in the location that you installed the game to, from what I can gather. If you accepted defaults (and you have Windows on a C drive) that will probably be somewhere in C:\Program Files\.

Jasoco

Banned
Number45 said:
It's in the location that you installed the game to, from what I can gather. If you accepted defaults (and you have Windows on a C drive) that will probably be somewhere in C:\Program Files\.
Well, it's Steam. I don't know where Steam is installed. But I will look and see if it was put there. But would the game still have the same file? I hope so.

confuziz

Banned
vferrel said:
I just remember the first time I stepped on a bear trap; it looks like a piece of grass, but then you step on it and your head pops off. It was really startling, and set the mood for what type of game I was getting into.

haha here too!

Number45

Maxrunner said:
bought this on steam but it would be nice if i could change the keys....and how do i see the resolution?
Check my link up there for the location of settings.txt to modify the controls, not sure about the resolution though.

jett

D-Member
ffffuuuuuuuuck at the
blackout section.
Hardest and coolest part of the game,
using sound to get your bearings.
Feels like the game could've been more than it is.

A cool little indie puzzle-platformer, wished there was more to the story. Feels vague to the point of emptiness.

What a great game. It's a bit short though. And I had to look some things up I admit. I would have never solved those though. like
the box you had to get out of the area through constantly switching gravity

Epix

Help?

99956C9D3EF9A6F7F84122C2D599D8CFD17A0FE9

Visualante said:
Kind of bored now I got to the gravity puzzles. Some of the secret areas I know how to get two but I can't actually stack the boxes. Sucks.
The last few were very nice, the momentum based puzzles. Just finished it. Didn't think much of the ending but I loved the overall narrative.

dmshaposv

haha some of those puzzles were tricky, but I can say I finished the game without looking up any faqs. Granted I ain't a hardcore gamer, so it took me a bit longer than you guys!

mxgt

Banned
1GsyN.jpg

VICTORY

After a run through that ended on 6 deaths (the 6th being the very last obstacle) I never wanted to see this game again. Gave it another try and wham. Not really super hard but dying to timing being just off is annoying.

etiolate

Banned
SO I beat this the other day. Really enjoyed the game and found myself going right back in to find the hidden areas.

I have some theories on the situation/story of the game:
I felt it highly possible that both the boy and girl and everyone else are dead/in limbo. I also felt that it is possible one or both of them died in a fire and that the fire is the reason for the ashy color palette, the hotel(hotel fire), the rain being mechanically driven(as in a emergency sprinkler system) and the firehoses in the game. Of course, there is also the woodsy treehouse images repeated. My grander theory is that there was a earthquake that lead to a city wide fire and the dead siblings, killed in separate areas, are trying to find each other.

The ending felt like a reaffirmation of the game title, the Limbo of a game that is continual and a game that denies you from the enxt stage. The stage here being the next world, the afterlife and also the stage in the videogame sense of levels and stages.

Additionally, I liked how much the game managed to do with a very basic control scheme. Puzzles were interesting and mostly intuitive. Grabbing/enacting the arrow signs didn't make sense to me and was the only time the environment was hard for me to read in the matter of what I could and should do.

Jasoco

Banned
I like your theory.

Also, I still think Braid was about a delusional guy stalking a girl who didn't want to be with him. Despite what the books in the game said.

protonion

When I first finished the game I thought that
the kid was evil (I mean spooky eyes, pulling out the leg of a spider,the other kids are afraid of him), and that he was hunting the girl. At the final scene I was expecting him to jump at her and kill her.

Then I read the game's description on ps store and was really dissapointed...

Just finished the game in a little over 3 hours (but one part near the end had me stuck for a while because I'm an idiot). I really loved the atmosphere and a lot of the puzzles. I'm really impressed with how creative games like this can get while using only one button plus the four direction keys for input. Other than the short length and one or two puzzles relying on wonky physics, I can't really think of anything negative to say about it. 10 dollars well spent.

Dragon

Banned
I was not satisfied with this game and paying 15.00 bucks on PSN didn't help for the three hours I played it. The game was certainly interesting but I didn't feel like at the end that I actually learned anything. I know these types of games are light on story. There was just no resolution period. Everything after the
spider
honestly just bored me gameplay wise as well. The only exception would be
when they fake you out and present your sister right in front of you and then have you be whisked away
. Oh well, at least I beat it I guess.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
nincompoop said:
How can it be worth $15 on PSN when the PC version is 33% cheaper and also runs at twice the resolution and framerate
Shh. Console gamers don't have the luxury.

I played the game a while ago and thought it was interesting. Overall, it seemed disjointed and short.

Solideliquid said:
Worth it for $15 on PSN?
I dig the game, but it's also really short. $15 is a bit much for a 2-3 hour game with little replay value. I'd say go for it if you're into 2D puzzle/platformers. Otherwise, wait till it's $5-10.

If you can get it cheaper and would rather have it on PC, then sure. The game is still worth 15 bucks regardless of how much you can get it for.

MushroomSamba said:
I dig the game, but it's also really short. $15 is a bit much for a 2-3 hour game with little replay value. I'd say go for it if you're into 2D puzzle/platformers. Otherwise, wait till it's $5-10.
This is true. If you aren't deeply into this type of genre, I couldn't recommend it at that price for your enjoyment. It's a pretty specific type game.

Lijik

Sorry to bump the thread with such a dumb question, but I remember at one point seeing a photo of one of the developers that contained a color version of the boy framed somewhere in the background.

Does anyone have a link offhand to this photo, or did I dream it up?

Audioboxer

Got this last night as it was on sale on PSN. Feels good when you solve a puzzle!

Still I'm stuck on a puzzle with two door "slabs", two ropes which you pull to lift the doors, a "meat grinder" (two spike discs spinning) and a moveable cart.

Any hints? Not solutions though, want to solve it myself. Unless of course the solution is so simple no hint can be given therefore tell me to man up and keep trying :p

Hanmik

Got this last night as it was on sale on PSN. Feels good when you solve a puzzle!

Still I'm stuck on a puzzle with two door "slabs", two ropes which you pull to lift the doors, a "meat grinder" (two spike discs spinning) and a moveable cart.

Any hints? Not solutions though, want to solve it myself. Unless of course the solution is so simple no hint can be given therefore tell me to man up and keep trying :p

hint.. : one of the ropes can be pulled from two different locations. (hope this isn´t to much of a hint)

Audioboxer

Hanmik said:
hint.. : one of the ropes can be pulled from two different locations. (hope this isn´t to much of a hint)

Thanks I'll have a look at that later! Was trying something along those lines but wasn't getting success.

Hanmik

I just started playing this game 2 days ago. On my ps3 with my new Sony 7.1 headset.. and fuck this is a great expirience.. love it love it.. thes sounds and the atmosphere is just amazing.. I will probably complete it tonight. I got stuck at a puzzle last night.. tried for about an half hour.. but just couldn+t wrap my head around a solution, so I had to google it. And damn it is a simple solution, but so hard to figure out..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nincompoop said:
How can it be worth $15 on PSN when the PC version is 33% cheaper and also runs at twice the resolution and framerate
It runs at 120FPS on PC? I doubt it matters even if it does :p

And really, the game uses so many softening post processing effects, that I doubt it makes much of a difference whether you run it at 720 or 1080p.

In other words, it's worth the price - 10 or 15$, PC or PS3. I just want the damn thing ported to Mac so that I can give them my money again.

Jasoco

Banned
Lord Error said:

And really, the game uses so many softening post processing effects, that I doubt it makes much of a difference whether you run it at 720 or 1080p.

In other words, it's worth the price - 10 or 15$, PC or PS3. I just want the damn thing ported to Mac so that I can give them my money again.
Believe it or not, it actually runs great in Parallels. Can't say the same for Super Meat Boy. But Limbo, at least the demo, didn't show any slowdown when I tried it.

Lord Error said:

"The PC edition is the only version of the game that runs at a full 60fps." - Actual developer quote from the press release when it came out on Steam.

Tizoc

Played a little of the game today and...it's scaring me =_=
I got to the part where a tree sprouted Spider legs and I couldn't go any further.

Sinthetic

Tizoc said:
Played a little of the game today and...it's scaring me =_=
I got to the part where a tree sprouted Spider legs and I couldn't go any further.

Get a pillow to hide behind, put a huge light on, do anything to see the ending of this beast of a game!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just a heads up, I discovered a very neat hidden feature in PC version - an Anaglyphic 3D mode! It looks pretty good too, since the game is in grayscale. My eyes were hurting badly after just a few minutes of looking at it like that, but the depth looks so nice that it makes me wish it had a 'real' framepacked 3D mode.

Anywhere in the game, just press SHIFT+3+D to enable it, and SHIFT+2+D to go back to normal 2D mode.

"The PC edition is the only version of the game that runs at a full 60fps." - Actual developer quote from the press release when it came out on Steam.
When I go back home, I'll double check, but I'm almost certain the PS3 version which I played recently was running at rock solid 60FPS. Also, even on PC, the game's assets and rendering are optimized for 720p, and you seem to only be able to change the backbuffer resolution by tinkering with the settings file on the PC. Even when changing it, I couldn't see much, if any difference.

Ricky_R

I just finished Limbo yesterday after some weeks of playing here and there, and what an amazing game it is.

It's a trial an error game for the most part, but it sure is amazing. So atmospheric and mysterious. Such amazing art work and animations. Very creative AND FUN puzzles.

One of my most entertaining and refreshing gaming experiences in recent years. I really hope there's a sequel coming or at least a game similar to it using the same art style.

Tomodachi

Just finished it. It was much better than what I expected, for some reason I always saw this game (before I started it) as the dumb cousin of Braid. This isn't the case. It's the definitely less brilliant one. In short and in my humble opinion, if Limbo is a very good title and a 8/10, Braid is a 13/10.

So, what really shine here are the puzzles. They're great, never too hard and never too easy, really make you think out of the box without resorting to complex mechanics or time shifting.

I really liked the art style. Yeah, it's a bit like cheating choosing b&w silhouettes (it also manages to give that "arty, elite, indie" pretentious feeling) but the overall look is very consistent and fascinating, so mission accomplished.

What I REALLY didn't like was the decision to use this level of gore in the game. Of course it's all B&W and you don't even see blood but, dismembering a kid? Really? I play much more violent games without even flinching but this decision was simply bad taste, imho.

Story-wise, if we can even talk about a story, I was a bit disappointed by the ending, I was hoping more elements would come out. We can speculate all we want (especially about the hotel theme) but the reality of it all is that the game gives nothing we can actually base any theory upon. There's a line between "open to interpretation" and "I'll give you no clue whatsoever so you can imagine the story is about anything remotely possible". Overall I found it cheap on this aspect.

So, 15$ on PSN? Not worth it imho, at that price there's the timeless masterpiece that Braid is. But it's a great deal for a Steam sale.

PS: as always, sorry for my crappy english.

Top Bottom