• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Lord Error said:
There are no leaderboards in the PS3 version, but I'm not sure about the secret-secret eggs. One of them was obtained
by stacking two boxes in the gravity switch area near the end
, right? I'll try tonight to see if some of them are still there.

I don't think they are, but I can be wrong. These were in the game and added to the leaderboards, which the PS3 version doesn't have. They might be in it though, but I don't feel like buying the game twice just to check. Try to check if they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPMS3ToP-nU

watch

Man, being the first in the world to get these with 3-4 friends and figuring all this out by ourselves... there just was no feeling that can compare. We literally scowered everything and were getting hundreds of messages from people who saw our rank on the leaderboards about where we were finding them, haha.

See one of the last eggs in those vids with the O in the HOTEL sign? I remember my friend's friend in our party was on the mic trying to explain how the O near the end looks different sometimes, but it was kind of hard to understand him through his heavy spanish accent. We were contemplating on it for a while until one of us warped back to the HOTEL O and moved the O, and then went back to the end, and he was... RIGHT! That egg was found first in the world by this awesome Mexican dude, lol. We were all screaming lik e" HOLY SHITTTT HOLY SHITTT EGG!"

Edit: Lol there was also drama on the x360a Limbo forum where people were back-stabbing/trading each other for egg locations just to be on the top of the leaderboards. Shit was glorious :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I had to use YT walkthrough on probably about 5 puzzles for Braid.
You didn't have to. You just didn't have the patience. I didn't have any help on any of the puzzles, except for one in the first level that was spoiled for me. I can't say that about any other adventure game.

eroots

Beat it this weekend and loved every minute of it. I need to replay it to finish up on the trophies and to find the secret area.

I hope everyone is playing the game instead of talking about it. Just played an hour or so, surprisiningly the narrative is what strikes me as the best element. I love the animation and little sequences and snippets of society you get.

I'm really reminded of the book
Lord of the Flies
(I'm assuming we're going with spoilers for the PC crowd instead of a new OT?

I just got up to the puzzle with two sliding doors. I'm wondering if I will regret smashing the
spider larvae
if that even is what it is. I felt bad.. like the
spiders are coming after me because we have seemingly invaded their land and started killing their children.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
$10 for the PC version on Steam. Too bad it's not a dual PC/Mac release, I'd buy it again without hesitation if it was.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Wait what? The PSN demo was 94mb.
That's what the full game is as well (the full game is just demo + unlock). No idea why it's smaller than X360 version, it even has an extra level. They just possibly learned how to compress things better.

dwin45 said:
The non-trophy secret eggs are not in the PS3 version. I just checked.
I checked a few last night too as well, they are not there. You can still do puzzles associated with some of them though, like stacking two cubes on chapter 21 to reach the otherwise unreachable gravity switch area (actually it's not chapter 21 in PS3 version, chapters are split to a lot more segments in it).

Jasoco

Banned
Lord Error said:
$10 for the PC version on Steam. Too bad it's not a dual PC/Mac release, I'd buy it again without hesitation if it was.
Me too. Disappointed. At least Super Meat Boy is being ported to OS X. But I wouldn't mind Limbo too. Maybe they could then make it part of the HIB4 next year.

Dmax3901

Bought it today and played roughly half of it according to the chapter select screen.

Fantastic game, so oddly immersive considering how little sharpness there is.

Also:
DAT SPIDER

Limbo PSN store: $19.95 AUD.

Limbo Steam: $9.99 USD ($9.35 AUD).

Seriously?
Steam buy confirmed.

Looking forward to getting into this one. Looks and sounds great.

Jasoco said:
Me too. Disappointed. At least Super Meat Boy is being ported to OS X. But I wouldn't mind Limbo too. Maybe they could then make it part of the HIB4 next year.
If it sells phenomenally, which I doubt. They could easily farm out a port to OS X. But I have some doubts given that it already dropped on other platforms.

You could always try bootcamp or WHINE

dark_inferno said:
I hope i'm not the only one who doesnt like the game after playing through it.

I was really excited to get it now that it's on PC and yeah...apart from the artstyle and the first 15 minutes there's not much here I enjoy. I kind of don't want to go back to it to finish it.

SEVERAL times I got horribly stuck in a situation, got frustrated, checked a Youtube walkthrough and saw that you need to do the exact same f-ing thing I was trying to do. I have no idea what I was doing wrong, or what I did differently when it actually worked the fifth time after that.

Just bought this, glad to have it on Steam even though I loved it on 360. My only gripe is the game has zero depth and zero replayability. But thanks GAF, didn't even know it hit Steam yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ah, finished it. It was pretty good, but putting the emphasis on physics puzzles instead of the eerie atmosphere and the feeling of danger was kind of a let down for me.
Still, a short (3-4 hours I guess) and not so hard game. I kinda regret not playing it in the middle of the night, but was fun nonetheless.

mr_chun

I'd love to pay under $10 for this, but no dice with the lack of OSX version. Guess I'll wait for a PSN price slash in like a year. I've waited this long.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Holy shit. My PC can't even run Limbo. It says I need a video card with at least shader 3.0. :lol

How's that surprising? Just because it's 2d doesn't mean it'll fly on a 486. Todays 2d games use tons of post processing, moBlur and other effects that can easily strain even powerful hardware.

confuziz

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Holy shit. My PC can't even run Limbo. It says I need a video card with at least shader 3.0. :lol

That means your PC is at least 5 years old. Which means you can't play any (non indie) game on your PC that is released this or last year =P

mxgt

Banned
Finished it this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great art style, gameplay, music and atmosphere. Not much more I could ask for seeing how well priced it is.

had to quit and come back to the part where
the big mosquito thing is eating the dead body and you have to sneak up and jump at it to grab it's leg and hitch a ride
before i finally figured it out.

i think im getting close to the end. i'm past the
mine cart and huge gears
that aren't too far past the above area. i have to play this in small sittings or else i get really frustrated with dying so often. i will admit though, every now and then dying makes me lol because of how silly the rag doll physics look in relation to how ridiculous the death was in the first place.

ZZMitch

Played this when I owned an Xbox, it was an amazing game. I loved every minute of it, and I usually HATE puzzle games. Only this and the Portal games have pleased me. The awesome atmosphere of the games must help.

Jasoco

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I ran Braid fine. I have a Dell Inspiron 530S.

Oh well. I'll wait until the game drops on PSN.
Braid even runs smoothly on my 2010 MacBook Pro with a C2D. I was surprised what with all the effects and particles and large graphics all happening in each level at once. Especially when it sometimes chugs on MineCraft.

Damn I wish I could buy Limbo on my Mac. (How well would it run on a C2D MacBook Pro in Windows?) Maybe when I get my Air and I set it up so I actually have Windows in Boot Camp.

Aru

Just bought the Xbox Triple Pack for 7£ (well 8.50£ if you count shipping :p), so I might start this game soon !

Inkwell

Banned
I was so excited to finally play this game. I picked it up on Steam as soon as it was available.

The game itself was fantastic. I enjoyed the art stye quite a bit. I also loved the puzzle design. Most of the puzzles were just difficult enough to where I had to stop and think for a bit, but easy enough to keep the game moving forward.

My only gripe with the game is the story. As far as atmosphere goes, the game was phenomenal. I just didn't feel they communicated the story well enough. I'm all for the story being open for interpretation, but it feels like they just thought "Hey, lets add a bunch of strange, creepy, and violent imagery!" I was hoping for a bit more of a reveal. Something more like the end of Braid, or even something a bit more gradual that all adds up in the end.

Again though, fantastic game.

Himself

dark_inferno said:
I hope i'm not the only one who doesnt like the game after playing through it.

No, I'm with you. The demo, the first 15-min were amazing and it more or less went gradually downhill from there with the exception of a few clever moments/puzzles here and there. I forced myself through the final hour which is a pretty bad sign for a 3 hour game.

I appreciated the atmosphere and the minimalism in design and music, but it dragged on for way too long in my eyes without ever gaining momentum or ratcheting up the intensity.-5/10 for me.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bought and finished it yesterday. For something that was so hyped I really expected something unique and creative. What I got was something unique looking but totally devoid of anything original. Was there any point with 90% of the "game" portion of the game. I "got" the spider thing. I liked that. After that it just pointlessly stumbled around for a few hours and ended. The ending was ok, I guess, but the major part of the game was a disjointed mess with ideas from dozens other games.

Platy

A friend got it and she said she could not get past the "press any screen to continue" ...steam hotkeys still work, but the game don't recognize her keyboard

She has lots of steam games and never had this problem

Any idea ?

I'm having a blast with this game. I love uncomfortably morbid game designs like this.

And I don't know how many times I've felt like and idiot when I realize how to solve some of these puzzles.

Kind of bored now I got to the gravity puzzles. Some of the secret areas I know how to get two but I can't actually stack the boxes. Sucks.

Jasoco

Banned
I've got an interesting problem.

I downloaded Limbo in Windows Steam under Parallels on my MacBook Pro and it runs smoothly.

But when I get to the first puzzle that requires me to use the Grab button, I have a problem. In OS X, Control + Arrow is used to switch between spaces. So if I try to push or pull something, my screen slides off to the left or right.

Is there any way to change this key binding? Because it's really stupid that they pick the one key I can't use for the feature I'd be using most in the game. And don't offer any way to change the keys. Maybe I can trick Parallels into using a different key for Control? Or Windows?

I'd change the Space Switch keys in OS X instead if I knew how. Lion doesn't seem to give a UI for changing that anymore. Even if I only have one space it doesn't work.

Suggestions? Aside from installing Windows in Boot Camp (Which is on my list of things to do eventually, but not right now)

O.DOGG

Jasoco said:
I've got an interesting problem.

I downloaded Limbo in Windows Steam under Parallels on my MacBook Pro and it runs smoothly.

But when I get to the first puzzle that requires me to use the Grab button, I have a problem. In OS X, Control + Arrow is used to switch between spaces. So if I try to push or pull something, my screen slides off to the left or right.

Is there any way to change this key binding? Because it's really stupid that they pick the one key I can't use for the feature I'd be using most in the game. And don't offer any way to change the keys. Maybe I can trick Parallels into using a different key for Control? Or Windows?

I'd change the Space Switch keys in OS X instead if I knew how. Lion doesn't seem to give a UI for changing that anymore. Even if I only have one space it doesn't work.

Suggestions? Aside from installing Windows in Boot Camp (Which is on my list of things to do eventually, but not right now)

There's a settings.txt file where you can edit your key bindings.

Been meaning to go through another playthrough of LIMBO. My 2nd favorite game after Red Dead from 2010, and probably my favorite XBLA game ever. Just loved the atmosphere.

Top Bottom