• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

NDPsycho

I thought the exclamation mark showed the bit of sarcasm in my post. (Note, only a "bit")

The funny part is that I don't really care either way. I've argued in favor of preorders and subscriptions quite a while ago, I'm sure we could dig up the posts. I personally do not like the stress myself. But, I can see how those that view it as a collectible would disagree, which a lot of people posting here can't. I can see how LRG might not prefer it, which a lot of people here can't.

Maybe this should be the next splatfest subject. If nothing else, maybe help people understand that when dealing with subjects like feelings, it is possible to like different things and both still be 'right.' Not every opposing opinion has a right/wrong answer.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
Moving forward... When they announce that they will NOT be doing open pre-orders for the next release (be it Rabi - Ribi or whatever is up next) ... Can we accept it and move forward. And not argue in circles for the next page or two of comments?

If that decision on their part doesn't jive with your opinion on how they should conduct business, vote with your wallet and dont purchase it.

Moving forward... When they announce that they will NOT be doing open pre-orders for the next release (be it Rabi - Ribi or whatever is up next) ... Can we accept it and move forward. And not argue in circles for the next page or two of comments?

tenor.gif

zeopower6

If that decision on their part doesn't jive with your opinion on how they should conduct business, vote with your wallet and dont purchase it.

Depends really on how the Friday bloodbaths end up.

Olengie

September is going to be 2 PS4 games. 1 of them will be an Asian title. They had more but they got pushed back to October.

Just need to wait for the actual announcement

September is going to be 2 PS4 games. 1 of them will be an Asian title. They had more but they got pushed back to October.

That's a relief! And I say that as someone who doesn't even buy every LRG release. But man, the past couple of months have been top-heavy with major releases.

zeopower6

I assume Ghost Blade HD CE was one of them due to the trophy pop a while ago.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why do you say that Fuzzy?
I don't see the mass appeal in any of those titles. Even something like the SteamWorld games have already had multiple physical releases on other consoles cutting down the want from the masses for the Vita releases.

LQX

I always wanted this to succeed but it appears that LRG's suspicions about preorders were somewhat correct from the get go. This was a successful run for consumers with a stress-free way to get the game but as for them and this sort of preorder satisfying both their own expectations and the people they work with... I don't think it did.

But wasn't this their biggest seller yet?

I haven't witnessed anybody wishing it would fail...
Eager isn't quite wishing but for arguments sake; it's the usual suspects that seem unnecessarily protective over what does and doesn't work. What will and won't fail.

There's an obvious divide between people like myself who are just after a physical copy (having to follow where the contracts are signed) and the hardcore collectors who enjoy chasing the shrink-wrap. I would love a model that caters to both but if we have more Night Trap style releases then Y's in future...people like me are just going to bail.

The market will see more competitors eventually (already seeing it with SRG/PlayAsia) so it'll be interesting to see how LRG fares as time goes on.

NDPsycho

The market will see more competitors eventually (already seeing it with SRG/PlayAsia) so it'll be interesting to see how LRG fares as time goes on.

These aren't exactly the best examples to use. Neither approaches the size of most LRG runs. With a few notable exceptions, none sell out in a short period of time, many taking weeks. SRG sold what? 2-2.5k of their releases?

If anything, they support that LRG has it fairly dialed in.

Speaking of SRG, love what they're doing too. The individually numbered case art is a pretty cool move.

i-Jest

I can get behind this, but let's be real, people are going to complain regardless. They'll make up excuses as to why the preorder system failed again, instead of acknowledging where consumers went wrong. People don't think long term about where these choices will lead. To be fair your free to do whatever with your hard earned dollars. End of the day, we were given a second chance, a chance to steer things in a different direction, and people voted with their wallets. What's done is done and now we let the cards fall where they will.

I look forward to seeing you lot in the mad dash for Cosmic Star Heroine, 2064 Read Only Memories, the Fallen Legion games, Ghost Blade HD, Momodora, VA-11 HALL-A, Salt and Sanctuary among others.

Weevilone

I've fallen behind a bit due to other stuff in RL today, so I'll avoid counterpoint responses to specific posters.

My feeling is that the ACTUAL limited nature of the run didn't change. There isn't suddenly 100% more product out there. What changed is who was able to procure them. Even if they sold the exact same number of copies, but they went to the gamers/collectors rather than the scalpers... then yay!

So if the actual quantity didn't really change, then all that changed is the feeling of buying games like they are front row concert tickets. Is that what (some) people want?

And seriously, if the print run did increase from (pulling out of rear) 4,000 to 6,000, or 8,000 to 10,000 it's insignificant in the big picture.

Occam

I've fallen behind a bit due to other stuff in RL today, so I'll avoid counterpoint responses to specific posters.

My feeling is that the ACTUAL limited nature of the run didn't change. There isn't suddenly 100% more product out there. What changed is who was able to procure them. Even if they sold the exact same number of copies, but they went to the gamers/collectors rather than the scalpers... then yay!

So if the actual quantity didn't really change, then all that changed is the feeling of buying games like they are front row concert tickets. Is that what (some) people want?

And seriously, if the print run did increase from (pulling out of rear) 4,000 to 6,000, or 8,000 to 10,000 it's insignificant in the big picture.

Precisely, I was about to make the same post. If games purchased by scalpers are bought it means that demand was higher than what was immediately available to non-scalpers. Now instead of scalpers buying two (or more) of each to sell for a profit, the games went directly to those who actually wanted them. Without detour, without having to pay more, while LRG made the same they would have otherwise. There is no reason to believe overall demand changed significantly.

So consumers are happy, nobody needs to pay scalpers, while LRG sold a similar amount. Sounds like a big win to me.

The only unhappy ones are those sad little creatures who can't feel joy unless someone else is unhappy. Again, sounds like a big win to me. And I am not convinced that those pathetics didn't actually buy the game anyway, because if they didn't they'd feel like losing out. Can't let others have something they don't. That's how their lizard brains work.

I can get behind this, but let's be real, people are going to complain regardless. They'll make up excuses as to why the preorder system failed again, instead of acknowledging where consumers went wrong. People don't think long term about where these choices will lead. To be fair your free to do whatever with your hard earned dollars. End of the day, we were given a second chance, a chance to steer things in a different direction, and people voted with their wallets. What's done is done and now we let the cards fall where they will.
tenor.gif

zeopower6

But wasn't this their biggest seller yet?

Yes but their original print run was going to be around this size anyway which makes it sort of not a "win" for them or for the developers they work with. They wanted to get the game into more hands so they tried the preorders out again and it ended up around where they expected to begin with. I am majorly for preorders and HATE the Friday rush because it ends up becoming about who can checkout the fastest but I don't think it did well enough for them to consider doing this very often.

I think LRG prefers the calm Ys Origin release over the pages upon pages of complaining over Wonder Boy and Night Trap but at the same time, it wasn't a home run or anything.

Have to wait and analyze the data fully before we can say whether it was a better route or not.

This is encouraging however.

So do nothing? These small print runs are going to sell out no mater what and if people voted with their wallet nothing would change. Hopefully we can move forward and not use do nothing as "advice."

t26

These aren't exactly the best examples to use. Neither approaches the size of most LRG runs. With a few notable exceptions, none sell out in a short period of time, many taking weeks. SRG sold what? 2-2.5k of their releases?

If anything, they support that LRG has it fairly dialed in.

Speaking of SRG, love what they're doing too. The individually numbered case art is a pretty cool move.

SRG basically shipped one game. It will take some time for them to get establish but they are definitely competitors.

I thought they rendered their Ghost Blade contract null because they felt Eastasia breached it by doing a Play-Asia edition....
Ultimately, it was renegotiated to have a smaller print size (2,000) in response to the existence of Play-Asia's variant (3,000) on top of the release being shaped into a collector's edition. They were still deliberating over what will be bundled into their version back several months ago, but LRG claimed their take won't be "inferior" to the import.

zeopower6

Basically, they posted that they were worried about it because they had no idea that the Ghost Blade HD PA version was being made [and they didn't know about LRG's] so it was negotiated with neither party aware of it.

Initially they were like "aw man, we gotta scrap this. this kind of thing sucks." but then not too long after they said it was definitely not canceled, just CE only and lower print run. You can see the exchange on Twitter not too long after E3. Thank goodness too because I REALLY wanted that from LRG lol.

Only one release date for September by the way! Josh just posted that September 15th is it for the entire month, two PS4 games. Kind of sad because just like during Lili/N++, I'll be on a trip. :| Hopefully it's stuff that won't sell out too fast.

Basically, they posted that they were worried about it because they had no idea that the Ghost Blade HD PA version was being made [and they didn't know about LRG's] so it was negotiated with neither party aware of it.

Initially they were like "aw man, we gotta scrap this. this kind of thing sucks." but then not too long after they said it was definitely not canceled, just CE only and lower print run. You can see the exchange on Twitter not too long after E3. Thank goodness too because I REALLY wanted that from LRG lol.

Only one release date for September by the way! Josh just posted that September 15th is it for the entire month, two PS4 games. Kind of sad because just like during Lili/N++, I'll be on a trip. :| Hopefully it's stuff that won't sell out too fast.

Good because September is a bloodbath for Vitabros anyway haha

Precisely, I was about to make the same post. If games purchased by scalpers are bought it means that demand was higher than what was immediately available to non-scalpers. Now instead of scalpers buying two (or more) of each to sell for a profit, the games went directly to those who actually wanted them. Without detour, without having to pay more, while LRG made the same they would have otherwise. There is no reason to believe overall demand changed significantly.

So consumers are happy, nobody needs to pay scalpers, while LRG sold a similar amount. Sounds like a big win to me.

First of all, you don't know who the copies went to. That they went to "gamers" in stead of "scalpers" is pure fiction on your part. I personally know "gamers" who want LRG's games, but they buy 2 copies. Not to keep one copy sealed for collector purposes, but so that they can offload the 2nd copy for a nice profit. End goal: to get their own copy for as little as possible. Potentially even for free. Are those scalpers or are those gamers to you? Because they do actually want the game, only they want it for cheap (which ultimately everyone wants).

Secondly, it's an illusion to think that scalpers (real scalpers, who don't have an interest in the product at all) can't make a profit after a 24 hour pre-order window. There are ALWAYS people who miss out on getting a game they want, because either they don't know about it at the time, or they are simply unable to get it for a variety of reasons. So scalpers will always have potential customers when it comes to products with limited availability. Meaning, they will likely still have bought into the Ys release as well.

It was once again demonstrated now that the pre-order window doesn't lead to a lot of extra profit for LRG. Something you admitted as well. Meaning they don't leave a lot of money on the table, as some false prophets on here claimed they would. So ultimately, it will be up to LRG to see if, from their own perspective as a business, the pre-order thing is really worth their while. If the numbers don't add up, they should stick to what they've proven works for them. As a business, you shouldn't really care WHO your products go to. Most customers aren't all that loyal to you. So if you would take a financial hit to get a bit more copies out to "gamers" in stead of "scalpers" this time around, that wouldn't guarantee you that those "gamers" would buy your next product. Just like consumers, who will try to get products as cheap as they can, businesses should (and typically will) mainly think of themselves and try to make as much profit as they can. A video game publisher is not your friend. They are not going to cut you a deal, because you are a "fellow gamer". If they would actually do that, it would likely ultimately end in their demise too.

takoyaki

^ from the replies to that tweet

Next releases are September 15th.

That's it for September, unfortunately.

Shadow Warrior 2 will be sold on a Monday. The 15th is when our next published games go live.

edit:
Not only that, but the list they sent me is missing Dariusburst, despite having an order for the game and listing the order number on the message I sent to get the held games shipped.
If you have an US PSN account, Dariusburst Vita is 80% off this weekend as part of a Flash Sale. Just a heads-up in case you haven't sorted this out with LRG yet.

i-Jest

Hopefully September's LRG release doesn't have PS4 games I want.

NotMSRP

Octodad ties
Silver Case PC
Skullgirls
Kickstarters including Plague Road
Ys

Preordering might be a pleasant experience for some of you but it has been a customer service nightmare on LRG's end.

The fixed model has a more reliable, core base of repeat customers compared to the more casual, fickle customers in the preorder model.

LRG is at the stage of how to cater to different demographics and not die in the process. A case study is some of the smartphone makers who started off with the hardcore crowd but abandoned them once they grew; some became bigger, successful companies and others didn't.

Shizuka

edit:

If you have an US PSN account, Dariusburst Vita is 80% off this weekend as part of a Flash Sale. Just a heads-up in case you haven’t sorted this out with LRG yet.

I own the game since it was released, but thanks for the heads up. I sent another message through the ticket I had opened and I'm currently waiting for a response.

Not sure if this was known, but there is another company with limited runs:

Strictly Limited Games -> https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/, https://twitter.com/RealStrictlyLTD

Our mission is simple. Let's get physical!
Only one release per month.
Only great indie- and AA-games.
Only limited numbers.
Starting in October - November 2017. Stay tuned!
~ EmbracePhysicalMedia ~

Their first game, Tokyo 42 (PS4):

Boxshot-Front.jpg

Seems like they are from my home country, Germany. That alone is a plus. Shipping should be cheap atleast, lol.

I'm starting It's Come To This Games. Our first title is a run of Life Of Black Tiger. Only 250 copies. Collector's Edition is strictly limited to 50 copies comes with soundtrack on vinyl, numbered giclee art print, black tiger statue and a garbage bag to put it all in.

If that isn't a blatant rip off of Limited Run Games, I don't know what is.
Someone call NDPsycho!

As blatant as it is; I couldn't give a shit about the name, provided they bring me physical copies of stuff that I want. The more competition the better (also +1 that it's a company in Europe this time)

EDIT:

salaciousdrift said:
Our first title is a run of Life Of Black Tiger. Only 250 copies. Collector's Edition is strictly limited to 50 copies comes with soundtrack on vinyl, numbered giclee art print, black tiger statue and a garbage bag to put it all in.
You joke but I can see a reality were people would lap that up for £$£

Top Bottom