• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Kanashimi

I mean, I'd argue it's way more well known in the West than Night Trap is at this point in time.

I think Night Trap has more of a place in video gaming history. We wouldn't really have a rating system without it (for better or for worse). So there's that as well as being one of the firsts of its time.

I think Ys is a great series and all, but surprised they're upset with the pre-orders so far... :<

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No, their Target was what they already ordered which was 7500 PS4 and 6500 Vita (both inclusive of Standard and CEs) plus the 1500 PAX variants for a total of 15,500. Not really ambitious for a series with the long history of Ys.

Where are these numbers from?
They don't even mesh with the tweet from today.

mollipen

I think Night Trap has more of a place in video gaming history. We wouldn't really have a rating system without it (for better or for worse). So there's that as well as being one of the firsts of its time

Oh no, I don't discount Night Trap's place in gaming history (I totally remember TV news covering the game and the introduction of video game ratings). But Ys has been a name in gaming since even before that, was one of the early "big" Japanese RPGs, was one of the first games console players experienced with voice acting and cinema scenes, and has been in existence for almost 30 years now.

Night Trap was a one-off that had a pretty sizable unintended impact, but Ys has had impact spread out over many, many years. They're both unquestionably gaming history. And I think (with no proof I can provide) part of the crowd that "knew" Night Trap with its recent re-release weren't people that really knew it until recently.

i-Jest

Bad news : LRG seems disappointed by the preorder figures so far
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/...04017795268613

Whether it be due to over hype, alternative buying options, lack of interest for potential resale or what have you, if these preorders aren't a success then we likely won't see them again. LRG will have a strong reason to continue the usual method of sales.

Let us all steel ourselves for Salt & Sanctuary and Cosmic Star Heroine.

Occam

Right-click and view page source
Ctrl+F "Quantity"

PS4 standard currently shows "inventory_quantity":-1639. It started at 2000 so that means it's currently at 3639.

EDIT: Forgot to refresh that page, fixed the numbers.

Look at the source code of the page. CTRL+f "quantity"
Works on all shopify pages.

Thanks. So for Vita it now says -1023, PS4 is -1741.
What was the base number, 3,000?

Occam

I very clearly said it started at 2K.

It's so weird seeing both bundles still up 90 minutes after they went back up.

Oops, missed that even though I quoted it. It's been a long day.

So close to 13,000 now. Doesn't sound bad at all.

mollipen

Ys more niche than people thought?

I think part of the problem is that this is "another" Ys release. I don't feel like there's anything specifically special about this game, and there's another Ys game coming out digitally on the same platforms a month later.

I could be totally wrong in that, though.

I think part of the problem is that this is "another" Ys release. I don't feel like there's anything specifically special about this game, and there's another Ys game coming out digitally on the same platforms a month later.

I could be totally wrong in that, though.

You mean physically? (Not sure digital is relevant in this situation)

Beamerjld

Neo Member
Why is everyone trying to spin today as a positive for LGR? It is what it is. Unfortunately, these results will mean they will not do pre-orders ever again, barring they secure an extremely high profile release... And that's fine with me.

hawk2025

Why is everyone trying to spin today as a positive for LGR? It is what it is. Unfortunately, these results will mean they will not do pre-orders ever again, barring they secure an extremely high profile release... And that's fine with me.

The fact is that it's their most successful release ever -- there's nothing to spin.

What that means for pre-orders plays against their expectations, but the only spin possible here is somehow framing 6,000 CEs and at least 7,000 SEs selling as a negative, which seems very odd to me.

NolbertoS

If its first come first serve again, I don't mind. They aren't a big publisher like Ubisoft, SE and EA that can afford to take hits on CE's released.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
The fact is that it's their most successful release ever -- there's nothing to spin.

That statement is you spinning it. Its clear to anyone that has been here for all the previous releases, that they would have sold more units using there standard model of selling. The market has spoken.

MrNelson

Banned
Can anyone tell me if they are charging immediately for the standard edition of Ys, or are they not charging until it ships around the end of September?

hawk2025

That statement is you spinning it. Its clear to anyone that has been here for all the previous releases, that they would have sold more units using there standard model of selling. The market has spoken.

That's an untestable claim -- there's nothing clear about it.

They've never sold 13,000 units of ANY game; Your extrapolation is completely out of sample.

I made a statement of fact, you presented an untestable claim as "clear". Who's spinning, again?

Why would that be fine with you?!

God forbid we have an easier time of securing a game we want. Not seeing the negative there.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
there's nothing clear about it.

You did see that LRG said sales are below their own expectations? The vocal minorities complaints made them compelled to change their business model, and look what happens... I want them to be successful, that means letting them run the company as they see fit. Not bend to the suggestions of a few members of message boards. Just my opinion.

NolbertoS

Why would that be fine with you?!

God forbid we have an easier time of securing a game we want. Not seeing the negative there.

A business has to make money regardless if what consumers complain. Just look Nintendo or Disney. If they listened to there critics on mass producing movie or games, they'd be not making making money. Econ 101 tesches a business to create artificial supply and get higher demand that people will want to get there products down the road because of the "perceived" value of scarcity. Nintendo didn't survive 100 of years by mass producing.

A business has to make money regardless if what consumers complain. Just look Nintendo or Disney. If they listened to there critics on mass producing movie or games, they'd be not making making money. Econ 101 tesches a business to create artificial supply and get higher demand that people will want to get there products down the road because of the "perceived" value of scarcity. Nintendo didn't survive 100 of years by mass producing.
*Sigh* Nothing against your post, NolbertoS, but:

1. I hate it when the business majors come out and act like they know LRG's business better than LRG does. If this wasn't something they could financially handle, they wouldn't have done it. Whether it meets their expectations or not, and whether they do it again or not, is to be determined.

2. My question wasn't even directed at you or anything you posted.

Occam

You did see that LRG said sales are below their own expectations? The vocal minorities complaints made them compelled to change their business model, and look what happens... I want them to be successful, that means letting them run the company as they see fit. Not bend to the suggestions of a few members of message boards. Just my opinion.

The vocal 79% minority.
(WTF)

Reality check: Scalpers are the vocal minority.
Ys is their most successful release ever.

NolbertoS

*Sigh* Nothing against your post, NolbertoS, but:

1. I hate it when the business majors come out and act like they know LRG's business better than LRG does. If this wasn't something they could financially handle, they wouldn't have done it. Whether it meets their expectations or not, and whether they do it again or not, is to be determined.

2. My question wasn't even directed at you or anything you posted.

I meant nothing negative towards you, just saying in general that sometimes you have to think on the developers and publishers sides. As a gamer, I want CE's games to be available long stretches, but as a company, I know its not feasible unless they sell X amount of units. Don't want good publishers or developers to go bankrupt either.

hawk2025

:O at Shadow Warrior 2!!

- Comes in a Shadow Warrior burlap sack
- Comes with a numbered and signed mini-scroll
- PS4 case is also individually numbered
- Includes Shadow Warrior 1 on its own disc
- AND it has an amazing reversible cover to top it all off.

Frickin' blown away.

Ok, sure, moving on.

Occam

I want LRG to continue on for years on the PS5 and eventually maybe have Switch releases... Their business model works, period. Let's not play armchair CEO and mess with it.

Instead they should listen to you. Hilarious.
Are you afraid that someone is taking away your butter?

I meant nothing negative towards you, just saying in general that sometimes you have to think on the developers and publishers sides. As a gamer, I want CE's games to be available long stretches, but as a company, I know its not feasible unless they sell X amount of units. Don't want good publishers or developers to go bankrupt either.
I don't think they should do this for obscure niche releases like Cosmic Star Heroine (another game GAF is already pumping up as being more famous/desirable/etc. than it actually is), but for obvious major releases (Wonder Boy, Night Trap, etc.), I think it's a good idea. I think Ys falls somewhere in the middle - it's not as big as Wonder Boy and Night Trap, despite what GAF may think - but it's not an obscure niche indie either.

I want LRG to continue on for years on the PS5 and eventually maybe have Switch releases... Their business model works, period. Let's not play armchair CEO and mess with it.
No one is playing armchair CEO though. We are all posting about what LRG actually did today, which was open up Ys orders for 24 hours.

NolbertoS

They should listen to themselves. They tried the pre-order method on skull somrthing?? And it failed. They got bitchrd out on Night Trap CE sales on social media and they caved to consumers and did the pre-order thing a 2nd time and now they're gonna take a loss again. Let this be a lesson to LRG to run there company as they see fit. If they're making money and people are still bitching something is working grear for them. Demand is high, which every company strives for

dallow_bg

nods at old men
They should listen to themselves. They tried the pre-order method on skull somrthing?? And it failed. They got bitchrd out on Night Trap CE sales on social media and they caved to consumers and did the pre-order thing a 2nd time and now they're gonna take a loss again. Let this be a lesson to LRG to run there company as they see fit. If they're making money and people are still bitching something is working grear for them. Demand is high, which every company strives for

::yawn::
Oh please. Nobody is forcing them to do a damn thing.

And as has been mentioned time and time again. This is already their most successful product ever.

Occam

There, there.

hawk2025

Again, this is just spin.

Highest selling LRG release: Ys Origin
Second highest selling LRG release: Skullgirls

We can discuss until we are blue in the face whether it matched expectations and what it would have sold without pre-orders, but it would all be extrapolation outside the sample.

The facts are that we have never seen a run with more than 10,000 copies without pre-orders.

For what it's worth, it's nevertheless as good of an experiment as they will manage. If they think they sold less than would have otherwise, then there it is.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
To tell the truth, looking at the list of confirmed but unreleased games in the OP I don't think any of them need an unlimited preorder.

Again, this is just spin.

Highest selling LRG release: Ys Origin
Second highest selling LRG release: Skullgirls

We can discuss until we are blue in the face whether it matched expectations, but it would all be extrapolation outside the sample.

The facts are that we have never seen a run with more than 10,000 copies without pre-orders.
Which isn't surprising. The whole thing about doing these 5k runs of games is that you have no idea before the game goes on sale whether or not you could be selling more copies than that until it's already too late. Preorders allow them to know exactly how many copies they will be able to sell, so they don't underestimate. The only benefit to doing them without preorders is that games that otherwise wouldn't sell at all sell solely because of scarcity.

I wonder how the number of orders compare to previous releases. I know it's selling below their expectations but how much of that is because more people are ordering 1 copy and fewer are ordering 2. It probably isn't that significant but I'd be interested to know.

Holmes

I'm so happy I was able to wait until after work and pre-order Ys Origins. I'm excited for this one.

Anyone think there's any chance for Caligula Effect?

NDPsycho

So, to you anyone that disagrees or was fine with their existing business model is by default a scalper? Slide off the horse you're riding.

Kanashimi

I'm super confused. You have some people claiming this is their best release yet, that it's sold the most, and others saying it did worse.

Um, huh?

Like between FB comments and here are the people denouncing the preorder system the scalpers (and before someone gets on my case, check out the FB comments, they're borderline hilarious)? I legit can't tell. The item is still going to be limited regardless, and based on the various ways people are tracking... it is doing well.

The only way it makes sense is if it under performed in a different way. For example, LRG already printed 7500 and 6500 respectively, and if the pre-orders took them into 7,510 or something that could be considered bad. However LRG confirms themselves they get an extra 10% just in case for damages. They have an extra 750 to throw around. I just don't see the issue. A majority of the customers are happy, there's less stress for both parties (in theory), and there's a chance of not having a snafu like you did with Night Trap. Like I'll admit I'm not a veteran to the service, but the reactions to this is just strange to me.

Weevilone

I'm super confused. You have some people claiming this is their best release yet, that it's sold the most, and others saying it did worse.

Um, huh?

I think it's like when the government lowers your taxes, but you find out later that means they just increased them by a smaller amount than originally planned.

Or something like that.

Top Bottom