• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park may be Reuniting

rm082e

Nothing jerkish about having a reflexive reaction to something. You like AIC for the specific sound/songwriting perspective they brought as a band. Vocals are essentially lead instruments, and songwriting obviously differs from individual to individual, so an obvious and front centered change like that is gonna grate on some folks.

It's more that Lane used to sing with his whole heart. It wasn't just a vocal exercise. I've seen video of the new guy singing Lane's songs and it looks like he's doing karaoke. On top of not being as good of a singer, it feels like he's not taking it seriously, which feels like an insult.

If LP get a new singer who sings songs like "In the End" with zero passion and looks bored, that's going to be really bad.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They should hire the singer from this band , in fact all the band nails the LP music. Seems they are from Brazil

Has there been a history of bands hiring singers from tribute bands? I had to google it but (old metal band) Judas Priest hired a singer from a cover band a while back. It makes a lot of sense in one respect, but it's not as marketable as hiring someone already known to be a professional artist - it's a lot easier to emotionally/mentally invest in someone who's made it and is a proven professional, versus someone who people are more likely to associate with being just like them. There's a lot of marketing and image to account for, etc.

I imagine if LP do reform, they might want to do more than just a bunch of reunion shows if it goes well. If they want to do some new material it might be important to have someone who can contribute artistically, though I imagine it'll probably all be Mike Shinoda's work behind the scenes.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I always hate when the main singer of popular bands leave or die and the band thinks they can carry on. Sorry....but when iconic singers define the sound of the group the music behind them is just a part of the success.

Freddie Mercury with Queen, Jon Anderson with Yes, Steve Perry with Journey, Brad Delp with Boston......etc.....

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I always hate when the main singer of popular bands leave or die and the band thinks they can carry on. Sorry....but when iconic singers define the sound of the group the music behind them is just a part of the success.

Freddie Mercury with Queen, Jon Anderson with Yes, Steve Perry with Journey, Brad Delp with Boston......etc.....

We'll see what's up for better or worse in a few hours.

BOX SET HYPE

They should have changed their name. Hybrid Theory would have been a nice tribute to their debut album and Chester's legacy. But also given them a new name to play under with a new singer.

Kenpachii

That band had some good songs my god, really wish he was still making music sadly he passed away.

At this point i feel like just remake the band and start to go a different route. U won't find another same singer how hard u try.

YuLY

Funny thing is that Chester joined the band when the band was looking for a leadsinger.

He wasn't one of the founding members of the band.
They got lucky then, since Chester was 75% of the band. Nobody ever fucking said oh yea my fav singer is Mike Shinoda! And it is not like they ever had some insane guitar riffs or solos, they had good studio instrumental/negative sure, but most of what made Linkin Park was Chester.

Chester is Linkin Park. Just do something else, use a different name at least.

ebevan91

Linkin Park was HUGE back when I was in like, 5th and 6 grade? Back when it was just Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I remember Minutes to Midnight released and while I enjoyed a few songs off of it, it was definitely my least favorite of the 3 albums. I didn't listen to anything else of theirs until Chester passed except for maybe Burn it Down and New Divide. Then I went back and listened to their other albums except for One More Light, which I don't really want to listen to, TBH, especially since we all know what happened shortly after it released.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
MV5BMTcxMjA5MjMxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE5MTg1OA@@._V1_.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They got lucky then, since Chester was 75% of the band. Nobody ever fucking said oh yea my fav singer is Mike Shinoda!
I think it's more like the other way around. Not to take anything away from Chester Bennington, but AFAIK, Shinoda was the creative force behind Linkin Park's music. As in, no Shinoda, no songs for Bennington to sing.

YuLY

I think it's more like the other way around. Not to take anything away from Chester Bennington, but AFAIK, Shinoda was the creative force behind Linkin Park's music. As in, no Shinoda, no songs for Bennington to sing.
You're confusing what I meant. I mean from the point of view of fans, Chester was the band. I dont mean the other didnt put work in the band, maybe even more than him.

Just like when you go to a Mission Impossible movie, you go to see Tom Cruise. Doesnt mean the director, writers etc etc didnt put work into the movie, most probably much more than Cruise did, but people go because of him, if you suddenly put Jeremy Renner, the turnout will be much lower.

Edit: I actually thought of a better example, from metal side. Nightwish - Tuomas their keyboard player is the founder and their main writer, artistic driving force. But everyone went to see them because of Tarja and identified Tarja with Nightwish. They never reached those peaks after replacing her. Nightwish was a cultural phenomenon here in Europe in the early to mid 00s, they never got close to that once she left, even if Tuomas basically made their songs and was still there. Yes they are doing ok and still gather people at concerts, but they arent part of the zeitgeist anymore, people who werent even into metal used to wear Nightwish t-shirts, thats all gone now.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Timer was very funny.

Being a bit of a festival nut I have a few good sources for info on this kinda thing, a guy I trust has heard it's "100% a female vocalist that they're keep tightly under wraps, the full tour is already booked with support acts".

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Okay, so the official fanclub for the band (going back that far, lmao) the Linkin Park Underground, just got advance notice/invitation of an event spanning five hours next Thursday.

It's all but assured now.

The band as a whole makes a success. Chester was in Gray Daze before LP and that was some lame garage band that went nowhere even with his voice.

It sucks that he is gone, its hard to replace a singer but if rumors are true it will be a female singer this time around which I think would fit perfectly as the new era plus nobody is going to be really comparing vocals as much as if it was a male singer because females just have a different tone and nobody expects her to sound like Chester anyway. The band is too talented to just stay idle. At least Mike and Hahn were doing something solo, I dont even know what the rest of the band did for the last 8 years. LP is a generational band and they are still young and talented.

Edit: I actually thought of a better example, from metal side. Nightwish - Tuomas their keyboard player is the founder and their main writer, artistic driving force. But everyone went to see them because of Tarja and identified Tarja with Nightwish. They never reached those peaks after replacing her.

Oh trust me, LP will be bigger than ever if they are returning even without Chester. First of all, it has been 8 years, and people are itching for their return. Their "value" dropped with the last 2 album releases. Especially with One More Light which was hated by many because of the direction they took and even though it was a different sound, no matter how you cut it, the album was boring and uninspired and couldnt hold a candle to the pop hits that were being played at the same time. Suicide sucks but Im not going to lie to myself how it was an inspirational album, it was dog shit with maybe 2 listenable songs.

So as long as they dont release anything as boring as One More Light, no matter the direction, if its lively they will be on top of the charts more than ever.

FeralEcho

That countdown was fucking pathetic,and I'm sure the idiot that came up with it was thinking it was some stroke of genius.

Stop wasting people's time!

Fans shouldn't show up at their event on time either but after 5 hours, let's see how they like wasting their time.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You're confusing what I meant.

Some might say that you haven't expressed yourself clearly enough, but ok!

as long as they dont release anything as boring as One More Light, no matter the direction, if its lively they will be on top of the charts more than ever.
It'll be interesting to see if they release any new music, but I think there's a strong business case for just being able to go on tour and provide nostalgia. Harder to do when missing such a visible part of the band, of course.

Someone surely has suggested that they could be playing arenas for a 25 year anniversary of Hybrid Theory next year and there's plenty of evidence to say that people will come out out to hear the old songs. Guns N Roses have been playing the same songs they played in the 80s/90s since reforming part of the classic lineup 8 years ago. Limp Bizkit are touring and they recognise that people don't want to hear anything but the old hits - they currently play the same song as the first and last song of the set! Pantera are back out on tour (ish) with stand-ins for half the band, playing just the old hits.
But even bands who have never stopped releasing music are at it too - I recently saw Underoath in a relatively small venue play their fan favourite album from 20 years ago.

I have no doubt that people going to see Linkin Park in 2025 will want to hear the intro to Crawling coming out of the PA, not "here's another new one!"

It'll be very difficult to find someone who could fill Bennington's shoes though, as with Pantera, it'd be a lot easier for audiences to accept it if someone from LP's peer group took the role - someone who people think Chester would have approved of. Scrolling through a list of 2000s bands it's hard to see who that could be, however. The fact that the guy from Sum41 was being talked about shows how there's some hunger for LP to be playing again, somehow.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Since there are LP fans here.......I seem to recall seeing Linkin Park promoting the launch of the Sega Dreamcast around 2000. I think they did appearances and maybe print ads. Does anyone remember this or am I totally wrong?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Since there are LP fans here.......I seem to recall seeing Linkin Park promoting the launch of the Sega Dreamcast around 2000. I think they did appearances and maybe print ads. Does anyone remember this or am I totally wrong?

Sounds like something that would have happened. I have no idea, though.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The band as a whole makes a success. Chester was in Gray Daze before LP and that was some lame garage band that went nowhere even with his voice.

They weren't lame at all, they were fucking great. Sure they didn't make headlines, but Wake Me is a great mid 90s fucking record and is a fantastic early showcase of Chester's vocals

Believe Me in particular just screams something you'd hear between '91-'94.

Both Wake Me and No Sun Today are both finally on Spotify too

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They weren't lame at all, they were fucking great. Sure they didn't make headlines, but Wake Me is a great mid 90s fucking record and is a fantastic early showcase of Chester's vocals

Believe Me in particular just screams something you'd hear between '91-'94.

Both Wake Me and No Sun Today are both finally on Spotify too

Hole and Holding You are both vibes.

Edit: If you know about Grey Daze, I feel like we're on pretty similar depths of knowledge regarding the overall catalogue of the Linkin Park umbrella, lmao. Good shit.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

The song "In the End" always reminds me of Phantasy Star Online for some reason. Idk, maybe it was because the song release a year after PSO on the Dreamcast. Time flew right out the window while playing it. And when you got to the end boss no matter how hard you tried, unless in a decent group you fell (died) and lost it all (your loot and Meseta) and it really didn't even matter.

Thaedolus

Then I went back and listened to their other albums except for One More Light, which I don't really want to listen to, TBH, especially since we all know what happened shortly after it released.
I don’t recommend One More Light to anyone in a depressed or vulnerable state, that’s for sure.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I like Linkin Park, but all the older bands and pop artists are reuniting now, no matter what genre, doesn't say much for new music does it.

LP has the benefit overall to music of working pretty frequently with up and coming unknowns. Some of Mike Shinoda's recent solo work jumps to mind, both in terms of studio output and production. Same for Reanimation, though that's going back a bit further. So many underground hip-hop acts I first learned of on that album and would go on to hear a lot more about in the following years.

I'm kind of a musical wanderer, granted, so I usually fixate on one genre until I'm sick of it and move on for x amount of time. Essentially puts contemporary artists in like 85% of music genres in my blindspot at any given time. Growing up, though, the cornerstones were always LP and Nine Inch Nails/Reznor.

Top Bottom