• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park may be Reuniting

People also need to remember that this is their first ever gig after 7 years. Even Mike sounded a bit off and trembling voice in some songs because Im sure they were all nervous. Imagine the new singer, she has huge shoes to fill, her voice even cracked at some songs but again, it aint easy to just "do it" after so many years when you know you got eyes of millions on you.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Stoked to hear it was Emily Armstrong -- been a big fan of Dead Sara for quite a few years.

She's not Chester, but I think she's a good next chapter. Time will tell.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's okay. Listenable, but sorta generic. Here is a live set. She kind of murdered Crawling, but the rest is pretty okay.

Sounds good to me. In terms of tone, they used to sing about being angsty teenagers. Now they're singing about being disenfranchised millennials. It tracks.

Chester channeled a deep well of pain through his vocals. It was hard not to be moved by that.

New girl doesn’t have that, but her vocals are fine and suit the band.

New track is solid.

She may not have that, but I think it's a little too early to tell. Frankly, I'm not sure if I really want a gender bendered Chester, and I'd prefer they find their own unique voice given how they are in a new phase of their lives with new people.

John Bilbo

Based on her performance on the live show I'll listen to their new album for sure. I hope she'll utilize her own voice to its maximum potential and will not try to emulate Chester.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Girl's fine dudes, she's no Chester obviously but her raw voice is A-OK for most of their stuff.

PS: For those saying that they miss Chester's pain-chanelling voice/delivery compared to Emily, give Brutus a go, the drummer/singer is fucking amazing (and gorgeous too) :

Bonus:

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Listened to my LP playlist on the way to work. Feel like I have a more thoughtful take now. The band must be down so fucking bad to make a move like this. Like Linkin Park fans need something else to be depressed and defeated about. I swear to god if he lets this broad sing Breaking the Habit I’m entering blood feud with Mike Shinoda. I really hope the first audience on this “tour” rushes the stage and throws him in the nearest fast food dumpster.

This take has no bearing on Emily’s skill or personality. Chester channeled pure, unvarnished male rage. Testosterone soaked. Having some pretty broad sing his lyrics is just wrong. Especially considering no less than 75% of male anguish is the direct result of women. This is such a cynical cash in. I hope it’s an unmitigated failure.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They'll be at a ton of European festivals next year. Live Nation handling it so Rock AM, Werchter, Mad Cool, Download in Europe, don't really follow US festival scene personally so no clue there.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I know LP always wanted to change things up with each album but this aint it

simpatico

Gold Member
They'll be at a ton of European festivals next year. Live Nation handling it so Rock AM, Werchter, Mad Cool, Download in Europe, don't really follow US festival scene personally so no clue there.
You guys have fast food dumpsters in Europe? It could be said that Mike and the greasiest fast food dumpster are on a Collision Course.

Last edited:

Toons

I thought she killed it. Not knowing much about her prior she melding right in with the new song snd some of the older ones while some were obviously more fitting to Chester but I like her. Im very much looking forward to what they come up with and wish em success. I'm glad they didn't try to find a Chester soundalike essentially become a tribute band to themselves, and can experiment with new avenues of resonating with audiences without trying to recreate something partially made by a dead man. And ultimately... hes dead, hes not coming back and I think it's unreasonable for none of the other band mates to be able to make music under his brand because of that.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
you know what... the more i listen to the new song and the show the more i'm into it. her voice went a few times but can't blame her. it's probably the biggest show she's ever done and she has big fucking shoes to fill. not many people could've gone up on stage and done a better job than her.

one step closer was fucking amazing. that's when it clicked for me.

i wish i could go see them but once again London = UK tour. Getting to London is no problem but i won't be able to make it on the 24th of all days :(

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
i wasn't sure of it at first but i've had it on repeat lol.
I listened to it a second time. The song peaks at the parts 'I let you cut me open' and 'Don't know why I'm hopin,' those parts are great, but the rest of the song is mid. Usually a good song sticks with me after the first listen, but that didn’t happen this time. Let's listen a bit more and see:messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Just hearing a new song from Linkin Park is great, I’m sure they’ll make even better ones.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
She sounds like a fucking terrible fit. That voice just doesn’t cut it.

Fans snorting massive lines of copium accepting this as a substitute.

Should’ve just renamed themselves if this was the route they were going to take. I wouldve been way more accepting. Actually calling themselves From Zero would've worked too.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I like that they went for the Paramore sound lmao.

Just call your band something else. This sounds like trash. Real LP fans, not consume everything LP fans, are laughing at this crappy single. We've also been laughing since the 3rd album.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I like that they went for the Paramore sound lmao.

Just call your band something else. This sounds like trash. Real LP fans, not consume everything LP fans, are laughing at this crappy single. We've also been laughing since the 3rd album.

Thousand Suns is my fav record of theirs though

Audiophile

Caught some of the clips of the live gig and I don't get all the praise I'm seeing everywhere. She completely lacks any dynamics here, her voice is full tilt, screechy and flat all at the same time; and almost all of the time.

Chester was regularly out of tune but it always felt very organic and fit the music. I think he realised what he could and couldn't do and applied it to the songs with intention. This singer just sounds like she's going all out 95% of the time and it's incredibly fatiguing.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i actually can't stop listening to the new single. i will admit i wasn't the biggest linkin park fan. i liked them and hybrid theory/meteora was the shit. i am so excited for the new album and i wish i could see them live.

Kurotri

Caught some of the clips of the live gig and I don't get all the praise I'm seeing everywhere. She completely lacks any dynamics here, her voice is full tilt, screechy and flat all at the same time; and almost all of the time.

Chester was regularly out of tune but it always felt very organic and fit the music. I think he realised what he could and couldn't do and applied it to the songs with intention. This singer just sounds like she's going all out 95% of the time and it's incredibly fatiguing.
You put my thoughts into words perfectly. It feels like she sings every song the exact same.

Wolzard

Neo Member
How do you know this stuff?

914igq7926nd1.png

Bombolone

Gold Member
I feel like I'm missing something.
Not my cup of tea I guess.

Best of luck to the Band and staff. Rock on.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I listened to the live show while driving today. I was signing all their classic songs along with the crowd, but i had this overwhelming feeling of loss. Next thing you know i start thinking that she wasn’t the Chester type of loud. A lot of songs like In the End and Faint were being sung by the crowd of fans and you couldn’t hear her voice. For whatever reason I had tears running down my face and I’m not even crying. It was like sending someone off on their last journey by signing songs that they wrote.

I don’t think I’d ever listen to them if they re-record their discography.

Doomtrain

I don't care at all what her gender is. She sounds great. Chester already used a higher pitch, so it doesn't even feel jarring. It's not like she's a Concord character screeching at toxic fans about the evils of being cis.

LordOfChaos

I don't care that she's a woman, but some people are bringing up her history of scientology and being a rape apologist, especially where Chester being molested in childhood may have been a significant cause of his suicide that's probably going to be a thing

Top Bottom