• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Karting |OT| Start Your Cerebral Engines

Ourobolus

Banned
Got this during BF for $25. So far it's pretty good. I've only played the first 6 levels or so, and it's...kart racing. Nothing really out of the ordinary. The customization is pretty cool, and I look forward to testing out some custom levels.

I haven't really noticed too many problems with the loading - I mean, it's there, but nothing that I think is really egregious.

EDIT: I got the God of War Saga too for BF, and playing this after GoW is a little...awkward. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You mean United Front Games.

Waaa...

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

The community seems to be a pretty decent size... there's a constant stream of new levels (most of which are awful, of course) and it's never hard to get into a multiplayer game and get that game filled.

It needs a patch though. Not just for the costumes but for online play. There are random drops, especially when loading into a level (i play with 3 friends and it's a miracle when all 3 of us load in). Also in the beta they would pick levels the people in the race made to take up one or two of the voting slots for the next track... they don't do that anymore. I have no idea why, that was such a great idea. If you want your track to get plays you go online and play...! Please bring that back UF!

Right now I have a couple tracks up and im working on a third. Maybe put 15 hours into the two that are up and they have 4 plays between them. And I know 3 of the 4 people...

That happened to me in LBP2 though. I spent 70+ hours making a tower defense game and almost two years later it still hasn't hit 100 plays :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That happened to me in LBP2 though. I spent 70+ hours making a tower defense game and almost two years later it still hasn't hit 100 plays :/

Is there a LBP.me variant for this one? In the case of LBP2 you should LBP.me link it in many threads as possible to get feedback.

I just played through the levels published under the LBPK_Community account and was really amazed at the diversity. If you have not yet done so, play SackWars-Flight, MarbleDrop, and Sack Defense. They do a good job showing off some different gameplay styles made possible with the editor, even if they're not the most fun examples of their respective genres. An awesome race track, Danger Derby of Xegon 13, is also published under the same account. I assume these levels are from the beta, so I'm excited to see what people can accomplish in the future with more time and experience.

SackWars-Flight: LBPK.me Youtube
MarbleDrop: LBPK.me Youtube
Sack Defense: LBPK.me
Danger Derby: LBPK.me

The more I play this game, the less I understand the poor reviews. I was not impressed with the story mode, and if that were all the game offered, I feel poor reviews would be warranted. However, the story mode isn't the main event in any of the Little Big Planet games, and Karting is as deserving of the Little Big Planet name as any of the others. Just as in the platformers, the level editor is the heart of the package; ignoring it and the endless possibilities it brings would be foolish.

Is there a LBP.me variant for this one? In the case of LBP2 you should LBP.me link it in many threads as possible to get feedback.

There is indeed. It is LBPK.me

Welp, got this during black friday. Now I must wait for my PS3 to arrive. Why I have to be such a sucker for the LBP franchise :/

This is the first LBP that I don't get at launch tough, I'm getting somewhat tired of it.

I'm not a fan of the game... I just wanted to play some Multiplayer races with my wife. It wanted me to go through the story mode to unlock "VS" tracks.

Not fun at all. Also, needs less homing crap. And the timer from "1" to "Go" is too stupid long.

daoster

I must say, I am loving this game. Soundtrack is much better than Little Big Planet Vita, and more up to par with the LBP1 and 2 games. And I dunno why, but I'm just enjoying this game so much more than I did when I checked out the beta.

Though yeah, having to go through story to unlock VS is not the best thing to do, but I'll live, because I want to enjoy all the levels developed by the developers.

I must say once again....

Shame on Sony for basically sending this game out to die, shame on Sony for not attempting to get this game on the Vita.

leroidys

Couldn't resist picking this up at $25 on BF, despite not really anticipating its release.

So far, I would say I'm pleasantly surprised. It really does feel like an LBP game, not just a reskinned mod racers. Racing feels great. The handling is very loose, but I think it adds to the LBP feel. Weapons are (mostly) unique. Online works great. I've only just arrived at the second world, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Having it on the Vita would have been nice but releasing LBPK on a platform that just had LBP and Modnation Racers will underwhelming sales? Doesn't make sense to me.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
This is really quite good, I like the handling and the new things like the grappling hook are fun to use. It's a shame that it doesn't seem to have done so well.

leroidys

This is really quite good, I like the handling and the new things like the grappling hook are fun to use. It's a shame that it doesn't seem to have done so well.

Too early to say I think. GAF sure as hell is not the games target demographic, this type of game usually has legs, and it was on sale for $25 everywhere on black Friday.

Having said that, I don't expect it to sell a ton.

Futureman

Music is so good. I have two roommates both with a PS3 and we have LBP1+2 and Kart now. Love my roomies.

the roomie who bought the game though... his PS3 broke so we haven't taken it online yet. Can he just sign into his PSN account on my other roommate's PS3, and then when he gets a new PS3 keep playing Kart online? or would the online pass be tied to the other guy's PS3 then? Same question for NHL 13. Sorry if that's confusing.

and I swear this game was giving me MASSIVE Jet Moto vibes the other night. There's a course with surf-rock music and I thought I had momentarily traveled in time back to '97.

Music is so good. I have two roommates both with a PS3 and we have LBP1+2 and Kart now. Love my roomies.

the roomie who bought the game though... his PS3 broke so we haven't taken it online yet. Can he just sign into his PSN account on my other roommate's PS3, and then when he gets a new PS3 keep playing Kart online? or would the online pass be tied to the other guy's PS3 then? Same question for NHL 13. Sorry if that's confusing.

and I swear this game was giving me MASSIVE Jet Moto vibes the other night. There's a course with surf-rock music and I thought I had momentarily traveled in time back to '97.

He should add another user with his account, redeem the online pass and be done. When he get his PS3 back the pass would have been already redeemed on his account anyway.

Online passes are tied to accounts not PS3s. The thing is, an account can only be activated on so many PS3 at the same time. Also, some content downloaded from an account can be shared to the rest of the accounts on the same PS3, a.k.a. game sharing.

Got this during BF for $25. So far it's pretty good. I've only played the first 6 levels or so, and it's...kart racing. Nothing really out of the ordinary. The customization is pretty cool, and I look forward to testing out some custom levels.

I haven't really noticed too many problems with the loading - I mean, it's there, but nothing that I think is really egregious.

EDIT: I got the God of War Saga too for BF, and playing this after GoW is a little...awkward. :lol
I got LPBK for $25 on BF as well, almost passed it up because the back of the box says it's only 1 player locally but had a hunch that was just a goof up (and I was correct, 4 player split-screen!). Already played through all the "story" levels. I would say right now my one complaint is the defaults tracks are better than the custom tracks. Come on people, make awesome stuff, because I sure as hell can't!

RagnarokX

I got LPBK for $25 on BF as well, almost passed it up because the back of the box says it's only 1 player locally but had a hunch that was just a goof up (and I was correct, 4 player split-screen!). Already played through all the "story" levels. I would say right now my one complaint is the defaults tracks are better than the custom tracks. Come on people, make awesome stuff, because I sure as hell can't!

Sorry. Wii U came out and I got sidetracked!

I also got it on BF for $25. I guess most people moved onto Sonic gottagofast Racing. I'll unwrap it this weekend and give it a go.

Jeels

So the demo for this was actually really fun. Is it representative of the full game?

Will definitely pick this up then once the costume patch is up.

Played this today.

Wow the game really good so far:
+ Game is beautiful
+ Really stable framerate
+ Load times are much shorter than MNR
+ Power ups are more streamlined now, easier to get into than MNR
- Power ups are more streamlined now, they lack the depth of MNR

Definitively a much better game than MNR overall.

Zen

Banned
I absolutely loved the beta. It's seriously a great kart racer.I haven't had the chance to get into the full product (Christmas list though) but hopefully the positive word of mouth helps it have a slow burn where the marketing failed.

So the demo for this was actually really fun. Is it representative of the full game?

Will definitely pick this up then once the costume patch is up.

Yeah I downloaded the demo recently and I loved it; seriously enjoyed trying for first place in the race, battle and mini-game events. Did a lot more for me than the demos of Most Wanted and Sonic Racing Transformed.

Now it's the waiting game until Christmas Day.

fernoca

Yeah. Just got the beta-vest.
Though, I never "participated" in the beta; got a code for the beta back then which I redeemed.
So...cool. At least I have the full (Karting) game, 2 and the Vita game; so I'll put it to good use. Nice freebie. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought this in the recent SCEE PSN sale and am a bit bamboozled by the editor. Are there any good online (web or YouTube) guides to run you through making tracks? The tutorials are a bit dry (like they always are in LBP) plus it'd be good to have something I can read/watch alongside the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thanks.

Got a bit stuck with a track, for some reason I can't erase the fences to give me access to a shortcut. Also had problems making a 'pit lane' because the breadcrumb trail or split went past the finish line.

The controls are generally pretty clumsy. For instance, if your pop it is fairly close to the track, why isn't the default to place objects flush with the track? I have to put it down, then select it and press square - I can't even make it flush when I first place it.

As an improvement I'd like to be able to set start/end points of different heights on the track and have the game smoothly transition between them, so I can get a smooth hill. The vertical shift tool is very limited in this regard, and I often end up re-rolling

Elfish

Thanks.

Got a bit stuck with a track, for some reason I can't erase the fences to give me access to a shortcut. Also had problems making a 'pit lane' because the breadcrumb trail or split went past the finish line.

The controls are generally pretty clumsy. For instance, if your pop it is fairly close to the track, why isn't the default to place objects flush with the track? I have to put it down, then select it and press square - I can't even make it flush when I first place it.

As an improvement I'd like to be able to set start/end points of different heights on the track and have the game smoothly transition between them, so I can get a smooth hill. The vertical shift tool is very limited in this regard, and I often end up re-rolling

If you need any futher help with LBP Karting visit this forum

Picked this up in the sale, playing through the Story mode and found the arena and holding on to the ball really quite hard. The racing on the other hand seemed a lot easier!

The Light

With the 13 for 13 sale I'm thinking of picking this up. I wanted to ask does the racing feel more satisfying when racing against actual people? When I played the demo it was just the ai launching weapon after weapon while I was in the lead which was quite frustrating with defense being tied to 1 item.

KalBalboa

Banned
Got this for $10 on PSN and am finding it really easy-going and to be better engineered than ModNation. It's not as deep, but I'm still finding it to be really fun.

Got this for $10 on PSN and am finding it really easy-going and to be better engineered than ModNation. It's not as deep, but I'm still finding it to be really fun.

Yep, I really liked the mechanics of MNR, it's like they catered them to the hardcore kart racers. Too bad it didn't sell. It's much more streamlined for LBPK.

The Light

I'm actually having fun with this. Guess it's true when they say don't judge a game by its demo. By the way is it just me or does the horde bike handle differently from the stock kart?

Totally on board after the PSN sale. Heard to argue with 10 bucks! I enjoyed the beta a while back too, so it'll be fun to see the final product.

Zen

Banned
10 dollar sale for the win. Hopefully it helps the game out. I imagine that is shot up in sales something fierce.
I'm so glad that I got the gift of PSABR for Christmas and could pick this up on sale

Alias03

I bought the game last night and so far I'm really enjoying it! Wonder why people avoid it like the plague. Also IGNs review was so far off its almost comical!

btkadams

I bought the game last night and so far I'm really enjoying it! Wonder why people avoid it like the plague. Also IGNs review was so far off its almost comical!

i was really disappointed with it because of the gameplay being more shallow than modnation. the lack of boost is really weird.

the lack of boost also confuses me as to what drifting does. does drifting slow you down? is it best to avoid using it unless necessary?

Dr Prob

Banned
Just picked this up as well. Like ModNation, can see myself spending a lot of time goofing around in the track creator. The overall tone of the game is different though (for the better I think)--it's so laid back that getting destroyed by items or hitting a bad checkpoint or something ain't even a thing. I like it!

i was really disappointed with it because of the gameplay being more shallow than modnation. the lack of boost is really weird.

the lack of boost also confuses me as to what drifting does. does drifting slow you down? is it best to avoid using it unless necessary?

Only played a little bit so far, but if you hold the drift, eventually you get a boost. Same with completing tricks off jumps I think.

Only played for a couple hours so far but this is pretty much as fantastic as you'd expect from a LBP title. Enjoying it much more than Sonic Racing 2. The reviews are baffling.

It's a shame Sony doesn't give a shit about this series.

Top Bottom