• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Karting |OT| Start Your Cerebral Engines

You're welcome for that. I too will probably pick this up. Looks like it will be $25 for a couple of Black Friday deals. However some of these reviews are worrying.

Meh, most games that I consider my favorites don't have particularly favorable review scores. LBP 1 and 2 were Ace and I actually enjoyed MNR as well. I don't need to read a word or play a demo, I just needed to be reminded.

Thanks for the heads up with Black Friday deals as well, looks like a perfect time to nab a copy.

If my wife is in the mood to put up with it I'll stream some tomorrow night. I'll post in this thread. Probably start sometime between 8 and 10, depending on the boss.

I want the game bad, it's just that I'm accepting it as a Christmas gift, so I have to wait. Sad to see that the response to it is so muted though. There was a huge buzz for LBP Vita here when it came out not so long ago.

RagnarokX

didn't know this game was out or out soon or w/e until i saw a review on 1up

http://www.1up.com/reviews/littlebigplanet-karting-review

apparently the weapon balance is fucked (doesn't help that many weapons are buggy and don't work right most of the time or something).

track editor is also not easy or somethin.

hmmmm... i think i'll just get sonic racing... wait, i still have an unopened mario kart 7. maybe i should just get nothing.
No, the weapons work fine. The boxing glove, fast forward, and boost rocket can only send you off a cliff if you use them at the wrong time, just like any other kart racer. I have yet to see glitchy homing rockets, and you are invulnerable for a few seconds after hit. Weapons are also fully customizable when you make a track.

The retail tracks, btw, are some of the most creative retail LBP levels, IMO. Much more interesting than lbp2. Bland describes Modnation's career mode tracks; but in this game there are several retail tracks I would consider playing online even with superior user tracks.

The editor is for the most part like a blend of LBP and Modnation. Like anything, you have to learn to use it, the knowledge doesnt just pop into your head. This game is 3D, which a whole different beast from what LBP players are used to. Modnation players might have a slight advantage because they are used to building in 3D space. The tools are very powerful.

titch

The editor is for the most part like a blend of LBP and Modnation. Like anything, you have to learn to use it, the knowledge doesnt just pop into your head. This game is 3D, which a whole different beast from what LBP players are used to. Modnation players might have a slight advantage because they are used to building in 3D space. The tools are very powerful.

Can two players use the editor at the same time like little big planet and muck about whilst building a track. My kids loved doing that in lbp.

Tiktaalik

I can't help but wonder if the lack of marketing has also had an affect on reviewer interest in the title? The game has been out for nearly a week and yet there has still not been reviews from several major sites, such as Kotaku, EDGE, Polygon or Giant Bomb. There has also been no "quick look" from Giant Bomb. It's entirely possible that given that the LittleBigPlanet titles are heavily focused on the online community that these publications are testing online and spending more time on evaluating the creation tools, but they haven't expressed this to their readers. It's possible that these publications have decided that, based on the lack of chatter around the title, that it's not worth really looking at it. It's interesting to consider that maybe a game is by default in the Barbie Horse Adventure category and won't be reviewed, and that a publisher has to talk up a game to a certain level in order for it climb out of that hole. With publications such as Polygon and Edge now spending more of their time reviewing indie games, maybe it's no longer a given that a game from a major publisher will get a proper look.

Surfheart

I think the game is wonderful.

It feels fast, the frame rate seems to be a mostly solid 30 fps in the tracks I've played so far and the loading times are nice and quick.

The game captures the lbp look and feel perfectly, and the tracks so far have been fun and the action frenetic.

I like how the multiplayer vs races are integrated into the story planet. I don't play a lot of multiplayer, but the ease in which I could jump into a multiplayer race was awesome and the races themselves were fun and lag free.

Can't comment on any creation yet, will give that a go once I finish the story.

The only problems I had so far are two complete lookups during loading that forced me to power the system off.

Oh and the Australia special edition came in a beautiful, full colour cardboard foldout case with a neat lenticular cover.

Maybes expectations were set low, but this seems like a great game.

Tevious

I just got this game on PSN with my $20 off code (for the $100 I spent last month) and I'm really enjoying it. I was hesitant at first with all the mixed opinions, but decided to just go for it. I've played it for a few hours now and so far I like it better than Mario Kart Wii. Speaking of which, there's already a custom level for Moo Moo Farm (N64), Kalamari Desert (N64), and Block Fort (N64). The guy who did the first 2 even has the weapons and item boxes look like the ones from MK.

I love all the customization it offers and how you can practice the course while you wait for the online match to start.

I can't help but wonder if the lack of marketing has also had an affect on reviewer interest in the title? The game has been out for nearly a week and yet there has still not been reviews from several major sites, such as Kotaku, EDGE, Polygon or Giant Bomb. There has also been no "quick look" from Giant Bomb. It's entirely possible that given that the LittleBigPlanet titles are heavily focused on the online community that these publications are testing online and spending more time on evaluating the creation tools, but they haven't expressed this to their readers. It's possible that these publications have decided that, based on the lack of chatter around the title, that it's not worth really looking at it. It's interesting to consider that maybe a game is by default in the Barbie Horse Adventure category and won't be reviewed, and that a publisher has to talk up a game to a certain level in order for it climb out of that hole. With publications such as Polygon and Edge now spending more of their time reviewing indie games, maybe it's no longer a given that a game from a major publisher will get a proper look.
Rather surprised from Polygon as well since Griffin McElroy is a big LBP nut.

Surfheart

Getting a few lockups on loading screens, seems to happen after I've played a few levels and some multi; almost like a memory leak or something. Anyone else experiencing this?

Tiamant

It makes me really sad the treatment Sony is giving to this game, the distribution is terrible, very very few units sent to stores and 0 marketing push.

Duffyside

Banned
Meh, most games that I consider my favorites don't have particularly favorable review scores. LBP 1 and 2 were Ace and I actually enjoyed MNR as well. I don't need to read a word or play a demo, I just needed to be reminded.

Thanks for the heads up with Black Friday deals as well, looks like a perfect time to nab a copy.

Really? What are your favorite games then? The three you mentioned all reviewed either incredibly well, or well-enough.

I did an experiment a year or so ago, trying to find how many games with a sub 75 metacritic I really liked. I found like 2. Made me appreciate aggregate reviewing more, as it's easy to argue that the highest rated games don't deserve it.

B-Dex

Someone had a Let's Play on youtube..... Installing as we speak. Loved Modnation (despite the flaws) seems UFG improved upon that formula for this game.

B-Dex

So I've gotten to world 5 or 6 now. There were a few tracks in the World of Progress that took a few tries to STAR but other than that everything else has been typical kart racer difficulty. Although I'm glad every weapon has a defensive mode.

Surfheart

No one else getting lockups?

It happened to me in the middle of a challenge last night. Seems to take a few races before it happens,

Other games on my PS3 seem fine.

How does this fare compared to the good old Crash Team Racing? It's only 5€ on PSN but I still find it better than MK Wii and ModNation Racers..

Razgreez

How does this fare compared to the good old Crash Team Racing? It's only 5€ on PSN but I still find it better than MK Wii and ModNation Racers..

I've been playing CTR a few times over the last few months and this game, in feel and control, feels almost exactly like it. Controls are super tight just like CTR although drifting feels a bit different and changing direction during drift boost can be a bit iffy sometimes

In my opinion it feels more like CTR than MNR

Razgreez

Quick, if not kinda embarrassing, question. Is there a way to zoom in on your kart so that you can apply stickers and objects to it more carefully/accurately?

Skyzard

Banned
Daaaamn, no one is talking about this game. Pity.

So bad. Not the best timing with S&S racing transformed...and after the recent memory of modnation. As well as all these other decent games on console that came out this month. Bad timing I think...

I hope there is a decent community moving to it though...and that the game is actually fun for those that decided on picking it up.

banjo5150

I am really liking it also. We have 2 PS3s in the house so I picked this up digital on the store so I could load up on both PS3s. Moved the other PS3 into the living room so the wife and I could play together. I can not stand split screen on anything. Makes my head hurt.

So is it easy to find others to race against online? I usually only buy this type of game (racing) to play online with others. Then again the Create mode will probably be enough on its own aswell as checking out others levels.

I may get this with the GS BF deal. Defiantely wanna get it soon if I don't get it BF. love the LBP franshise. (Except for the horrible PSP version.) I can get lost for hours in create mode doing next to nothing lol.

gadwn

It's sad that no one is talking about this game, but then again, I didn't even buy it. But i have a feeling we will see this really cheap soon, even in Europe. So will probably pick it up in a month or two.

It's sad that no one is talking about this game, but then again, I didn't even buy it. But i have a feeling we will see this really cheap soon, even in Europe. So will probably pick it up in a month or two.

I'm really tempted to buy it for $25 on BF I guess it'll be free for ps+ very soon :/

gadwn

I'm really tempted to buy it for $25 on BF I guess it'll be free for ps+ very soon :/

Not likely. Why would Sony give it away that early? We would have to wait like at least a year for it to come out on plus I would guess. Except if there is a lot of DLC that they can make money on hmmm....

Moofers

Anyone know if this supports cross-controller with the Vita?

BTW, I played this for a while last night with my fiancee and we had a great time. She has terrible luck though and was getting bombarded with enemy projectiles left and right. I seemed to be pretty good at getting into 1st and then holding it for 3 laps.

Love how so far all the tracks I've hit are based on LBP1 levels. When the first race kicked off with an upbeat remix of the Garden theme, my heart melted and we both smiled. Very charming game.

I don't know where Greg @ IGN was coming from when he tore it up on Beyond earlier this week. I think its a lot of fun.

Kind of a specific situation, but I had a pretty bad experience with the game yesterday. Regular user of lovefilm and figured this game would be a fun thing to rent for the weekend, get some booze out, a few friends round, yadda yadda. Sure, you need an online pass to access the created tracks, but there's the levels the game ships with, and I could always grab the pass if we're having fun...right?

So first problem: despite it stating in the story mode (only mode available without the pass) when you highlight each level "this track supports 1-4 players" or whatever, it wouldn't. When we tried to play a level with the four of us, it instead gave me a notification that story mode only supports 2 players, and at times, only 1. That's just bizarre. It seems in this game (please do correct me if I'm wrong, I still have it here) the only way to casually play 4 player split screen at home with your friends, is to have the online pass, as you need to access the community section. Otherwise you're just stuck with 2 players, and a track at a time until you unlock them all. I understand the war on pre-owned sales/renters but come on.

So second problem: I think dammmn, I got people over, I got them to spend money on drink, travel in the process, I might just check the price of the pass and get it to save this. Nope. When the game prompted me to buy a pass to access the other sections, I said okay, and it repeatedly took me to the psn store and told me there was no pass to purchase. I tried going to the store from the xmb and searching for the pass, but no luck. No idea what that's all about.

So yea, not great. Not don't worry, our night did not live and die on lbp karting, and I just put it away and we moved on, but it just gave me a terrible impression of the game, and I probably won't do the sp content before I send it back. To not have simple accessable arcade cups or whatever in a kart racer in this day and age for 4 player split screen is crazy. Even if I missed something here (and I hope I did), it's still bad because they literally would not take my money for the pass thing. It just wasn't happening. And as a side note, kinda poor they shipped without the lbp 1 & 2 cosutme stuff transferable. It says it'll come later but eh. It's not like people were dying for this game, they could of got their stuff together first. I'll try again next week with All Stars Battle Royale, but this was a big eeeh.

yurinka

how are the loading times? Even if I liked Modnation, I stopped playing because they were too fucking long.

how are the loading times? Even if I liked Modnation, I stopped playing because they were too fucking long.

They're not atrocious, but you wouldn't say they're brilliant either. If you find regular lbp's load times acceptable, you should be ok here. Can't say too much in regards to modnation, haven't played much of that. I was a bit more let down with what it does load, than the load times. For a racer, and not that much complex going on, the whole thing has a bit of a hazy sub hd look to it, even in the pod I thought it was noticeable. I had alot of contempt for the game at that point though.

yurinka

My major concern is the loading times between tracks, or when restarting one. Modnation loading times were atrocious, but in LBP offline levels even if not too short whey were ok for me.

If they are like in LBP I'd say that would be ok for me.

iratA

A lot of people reporting lock ups and I can say it does indeed feel like a memory leak. I've had it hard lock on me in the editor a few times. Lost quite a bit of progress :(

Its still a blast though and I can't wait to explore the tracks online. Speaking of the online, I always have trouble connecting online the first few times I try. Anyone else getting this?

This is one of the best games of the year as far as I'm concerned. I can take this and XCOM and go off to some cabin in the woods and come back in 6 months and be ecstatic.

The single player mode was wonderful. Some of the tracks are the most creative tracks in any racing game (kart or otherwise) ever. They are just mindboggling. The second to last one specifically is absolutely fucking madness.

The creation tools are just fine. I've been building LBP levels since the first one came out (including on the PSP and Vita) and I had Modnation on the ps3 and vita. This is best toolset of all of the aforementioned games because it really adds the best of both games from the easy track creating of MNR to the insane logic tools from LBP2/vita. I think in 6 months time we are going to see some really insane stuff.

I usually don't get all that uppity about sales but it's a bummer sony sent this out to die against blops2/halo/ac3/nfs/etc. Hopefully someday it's free on PS+ so everyone gets to experience it. It really is a wonderful game. I'm starting to put together my GOTY lists for my podcast and depending on the last few release (hitman and Far cry 3) I see this one being VERY high up on the list. It's that good.

Shining

Only 4 pages? Wow, thats really sad. Now i feel like i have to buy the game right away and not when it hits the bargain bin.

I know it's a bit much to ask but I'm hoping that Sony throw it up on sale soon on the store if it goes to £25 I will snap it up. Would prefer the download version so that I can share for multiplayer.

fernoca

Just gpt this and I'm really enjoying it. The loadtimes are way shorter than I've read around; heck as "long" as the loadings in nearly every LBP game.

Controls are fine, no issues there and I also liked ModNation. Love that the game looks/feels/etc. like LBP; some impressions made it look as if some of the look/soul was lost. Soundtrack's great too. Here's hoping the patch to use the other games' costumes is out sooner rather than later.

EDIT:
By the way, I just heard a song in spanish (which seems to be a tradition on this series)...anyone knows the name/band f it? Was cool.

Elfish

How do you turbo boost at the start of a race? I can't figure it out.

Btw is it possible to make your own karts from scratch?

I still need to explore the creation mode though.

RagnarokX

How do you turbo boost at the start of a race? I can't figure it out.

Btw is it possible to make your own karts from scratch?

I still need to explore the creation mode though.

If you're using R2 for gas, hold X until the starting countdown ends.

You can decorate karts with stickers and decorations. You can also change the suspension, wheels, steering wheel, seat, and motor sound effect.

Kind of a specific situation, but I had a pretty bad experience with the game yesterday. Regular user of lovefilm and figured this game would be a fun thing to rent for the weekend, get some booze out, a few friends round, yadda yadda. Sure, you need an online pass to access the created tracks, but there's the levels the game ships with, and I could always grab the pass if we're having fun...right?

So first problem: despite it stating in the story mode (only mode available without the pass) when you highlight each level "this track supports 1-4 players" or whatever, it wouldn't. When we tried to play a level with the four of us, it instead gave me a notification that story mode only supports 2 players, and at times, only 1. That's just bizarre. It seems in this game (please do correct me if I'm wrong, I still have it here) the only way to casually play 4 player split screen at home with your friends, is to have the online pass, as you need to access the community section. Otherwise you're just stuck with 2 players, and a track at a time until you unlock them all. I understand the war on pre-owned sales/renters but come on.

So second problem: I think dammmn, I got people over, I got them to spend money on drink, travel in the process, I might just check the price of the pass and get it to save this. Nope. When the game prompted me to buy a pass to access the other sections, I said okay, and it repeatedly took me to the psn store and told me there was no pass to purchase. I tried going to the store from the xmb and searching for the pass, but no luck. No idea what that's all about.

So yea, not great. Not don't worry, our night did not live and die on lbp karting, and I just put it away and we moved on, but it just gave me a terrible impression of the game, and I probably won't do the sp content before I send it back. To not have simple accessable arcade cups or whatever in a kart racer in this day and age for 4 player split screen is crazy. Even if I missed something here (and I hope I did), it's still bad because they literally would not take my money for the pass thing. It just wasn't happening. And as a side note, kinda poor they shipped without the lbp 1 & 2 cosutme stuff transferable. It says it'll come later but eh. It's not like people were dying for this game, they could of got their stuff together first. I'll try again next week with All Stars Battle Royale, but this was a big eeeh.

When you beat a track in story mode, it unlocks a versus version of that track. That track is playable online and with up to 4 people split screen. You access them via the story section, so no, you aren't locked out of offline 4-player. But seeing as the defining feature of the game is the ability to share custom levels online, not having that would be severely crippling your experience anyway.

Also, to most on the fence about this game, it will be $25 on black friday at most retailers.

Elfish

If you're using R2 for gas, hold X until the starting countdown ends.

You can decorate karts with stickers and decorations. You can also change the suspension, wheels, steering wheel, seat, and motor sound effect.

I know that, I mean from "scratch" with the creation mode.
Ain't there a kartinator or something like the controlinator in LBP2?

When you beat a track in story mode, it unlocks a versus version of that track. That track is playable online and with up to 4 people split screen. You access them via the story section, so no, you aren't locked out of offline 4-player. But seeing as the defining feature of the game is the ability to share custom levels online, not having that would be severely crippling your experience anyway.

I see. So we would have had to go through each track separately while 2 people watched, and then they could participate in the track they just watched us play/that we just played? And that, individually for each track haha? Yea, I dunno. It's good to know that at least there's some sort of solution in there, but it's still a pretty bad set-up.

Like I said, I did attempt to go buy the pass and it literally was rejecting me on the store end and sending me back into the game, no pass available apparently :S this is the uk store.

Obviously you can diffuse the point by saying that the defining feature of the game is something else and so on, but we were literally just trying to play and have fun. I don't think I'm reaching when saying that if you can't do that easily in this kind of game and/or the game is actively obstructing you from solving that problem (as in, not taking your money lol), that it's lacking in some areas. But whatever. Like I said, this only really took up half an hour and we moved on. This kind of thing does put off buyers though, and hopefully they tighten this stuff up if there's a next time.

Moofers

Anyone know where I can find a list of the soundtrack? I'm trying to identify the song on the "After The Wedding" track.

Top Bottom