• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Karting |OT| Start Your Cerebral Engines

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sorry for the bump but how is this game GAF? My kid likes Mario Cart and I'm getting him a PS3 for xmas and was thinking about picking this up since I've seen it on deals.

I heard it had loading issues starting out and various other glitches. Have those been patched out?

copy paste from the fuck up I made in the beta thread.

DietRob

^ I will follow you to the depths of hell to let people know that this game is $25 all over the place for Black Friday.

Yes, I have seen it for 25 but the question is the same is the game worth even 25?. I've just heard bad things about it from a technical standpoint.

The game is absolutely fantastic and the technical issues that existed in the beta have been cleaned up.

One of the better games this year, imo.

DietRob

The game is absolutely fantastic and the technical issues that existed in the beta have been cleaned up.

One of the better games this year, imo.

Thank you! That's all I needed to know. I remember the beta being plagued with slow loading, framerate issues, screen tearing, on down the list.

If all of these things are fixed now. 25 bucks is a no brainer for my Mario Cart loving son.

Thank you! That's all I needed to know. I remember the beta being plagued with slow loading, framerate issues, screen tearing, on down the list.

If all of these things are fixed now. 25 bucks is a no brainer for my Mario Cart loving son.

The load times aren't exactly fast but they are better than the beta and much, much better than modnation was. Framerate is smooth and not a screen tear to be found, in my experience. And I did experience the low framerate and tearing in the beta.

This is better than I expected, my sister and I enjoyed it a lot. Just figured out how to boost at the start of the race thanks to this thread, thanks guys.

Does this game have splitscreen?
Back of box says 1 player, with 2-4 network play or something.
It does! I have played splitscreen with my sister before.

DietRob

The load times aren't exactly fast but they are better than the beta and much, much better than modnation was. Framerate is smooth and not a screen tear to be found, in my experience. And I did experience the low framerate and tearing in the beta.

Cool I'm not too pressed and my son wont either about a little longer than normal game loading.

How is the community, are there tons and tons of tracks like there are levels in the traditional LBP's?

B-Dex

The game is good. But Sonic Transformed is better IMO. Altho you can make tracks in this. BUT they made it harder to bank turns than modnation (in the track editor) for whatever reason.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
After some of the reviews and other games coming out, I held off on purchasing it right away. I couldn't resist at $25 though. I did like MNR, but didn't end up playing a lot.

Is story mode single player only or can you play it split screen? This might be a good game to play with my girlfriend, to take a break from co-op shooters.

It is up to 4 player splitscreen, but if you wanna do 3-4 offline you will have to jump through hoops first, as I detailed a bit up there. You're good to go for 2 straight away in story mode though, and my impression is you can 4 player start away in the community section.

EDIT: Ha, answer was for Phosphor, but it'll work for you too eJawa

Acrylic7

Sorry for the bump but how is this game GAF? My kid likes Mario Cart and I'm getting him a PS3 for xmas and was thinking about picking this up since I've seen it on deals.

I heard it had loading issues starting out and various other glitches. Have those been patched out?

copy paste from the fuck up I made in the beta thread.

I wouldn't, get Mod Nation instead.

DietRob

yes, Nvm indeed.
Go look up reviews and gameplay videos. Your eyes should do the rest.

Nah, I'd rather get insight from the thousands of other members that are willing to provide it.

I trust GAF over reviews. Main things I wanted to know have been answered with the exception of the community aspect of LBP Karting.

How is the community, are there tons and tons of tracks like there are levels in the traditional LBP's?

Since the game is a new release that does not appear to have lit up the charts, I don't think there is a ton of quality community levels yet. I'm sure they will come in time, though.

As for whether or not you should buy the game, it depends. While the game has very solid racing mechanics, the included levels are mostly boring and uninspired, and the weapons aren't very fun to use, either. Those issues would be enough to write off most kart racers, but the main draw in this game is the versatile level editor and the potential of the online community. If you see the game as more of a long-term investment, or if you have an interest in creating levels, I'd recommend buying it even for full price. However, if you expect it to be amazing out-of-the-box, the game may not be for you.

I also want to mention that, unlike in Modnation Racers, the load times are unobtrusive and a complete non-issue. In fact, I haven't seen any glaring technical issues, though I'm not exactly the frame counting type.

DietRob

Since the game is a new release that does not appear to have lit up the charts, I don't think there is a ton of quality community levels yet. I'm sure they will come in time, though.

As for whether or not you should buy the game, it depends. While the game has very solid racing mechanics, the included levels are mostly boring and uninspired, and the weapons aren't very fun to use, either. Those issues would be enough to write off most kart racers, but the main draw in this game is the versatile level editor and the potential of the online community. If you see the game as more of a long-term investment, or if you have an interest in creating levels, I'd recommend buying it even for full price. However, if you expect it to be amazing out-of-the-box, the game may not be for you.

I also want to mention that, unlike in Modnation Racers, the load times are unobtrusive and a complete non-issue. In fact, I haven't seen any glaring technical issues, though I'm not exactly the frame counting type.

Thanks a bunch for this nice write up. I have built levels in the past on LBP, I'm too shy to show GAF my work and I do hope to build some levels with my son as an introduction for him into the world of game building. I know it's a very small step but he's mentioned game design as a goal of his. This game can teach him some very basic design concepts.

I picked it up at best buy they matched the $25 Amazon deal. I hope this game gains some traction and we will see some AMAZING levels like we did for the LBP series.

Edit:
I played through the first couple of tracks and it's a fun racer. It would be much more fun if I had people to race with though.

Tevious

Awesome.

Purchased from Amazon, 25 bucks. Didn't realize sales were that crazy. I'm guessing it's not selling well. =[

It had to compete against all the hype for Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed III, Wii U, and Halo 4. On top of that, apparently Sony barely marketed it. Many people have no idea its even out. Its no wonder the game went under the radar.

Coming from a Mario Kart fan, I debated getting it, but took a chance on it cause I found the idea of a Mario Kart-like game with customization and an editor to be intriguing (I'm not too familiar with MNR). And I absolutely love it. As long as people are creating tracks for this game, there is no end of content to play. Not like MK where you play until you get bored of the same tracks. There are also several Mario Kart level recreations so far. I myself did one for Luigi's Mansion. The DK Mountain one is fantastic. Some of the official tracks are nice and creative too. The only issue I have with the weapons is they're mostly rockets of some sort. I've seen people replace the weapons with custom models though (made in the editor), like turtle shells.

As far as loading goes, it seems fine to me. I saw no reason to complain. The game does take a while to boot up however with all the intro sequences and preloading. I had some connection issues with their servers a few times too.

WhatRobEats said:
I played through the first couple of tracks and it's a fun racer. It would be much more fun if I had people to race with though.

Anyone that wants to play some tracks, my PSN is Tevious.

RagnarokX

Nah, I'd rather get insight from the thousands of other members that are willing to provide it.

I trust GAF over reviews. Main things I wanted to know have been answered with the exception of the community aspect of LBP Karting.

Some Modnation fans are bitter because Sony decided to make this instead of Modnation 2. Modnation has been abandoned and is dying. LBPK plays more like Mario Kart, so if you like that the mechanics should be fine for you. The create tools are a lot better for level making, not as good as Modnation for making characters and karts. Modnation's lobby system is, so far, preferable to LBPK's pod/vote system, but this is a new game that can be impoved over time just like Modnation was.

Tizoc

How long are the loading speeds in this game BTW? I plan on getting it+Sony Smash Bros in December.

DietRob

Some Modnation fans are bitter because Sony decided to make this instead of Modnation 2. Modnation has been abandoned and is dying. LBPK plays more like Mario Kart, so if you like that the mechanics should be fine for you. The create tools are a lot better for level making, not as good as Modnation for making characters and karts. Modnation's lobby system is, so far, preferable to LBPK's pod/vote system, but this is a new game that can be impoved over time just like Modnation was.

Wow, I'm so far removed from gaming that I didn't even realize that this game only released about 3 weeks ago. Yea, I'm totally expecting the community to pick up, especially since this game is half off ($25 bucks) nearly everywhere.

I remember when ModNation Racer was released I couldn't for the life of me understand why they did that instead of a LBP Karting game. I'm so glad somebody at Sony came to their senses and decided this genre was best represented on Sony by Sackboy.

Good times will be had by my son and I.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How long are the loading speeds in this game BTW? I plan on getting it+Sony Smash Bros in December.

They are just like LBP titles, a brief pause, a blink and then a short hint screen. They are much better than MNR.

I'm not sure how anyone can like MNR over this game. LBP Karting is better in every aspect. MNR had loading issues, no personality, super hard races that killed the campaign, boring levels, etc

I'm really glad they dumped the MNR IP. It was a good idea killed by technical and play issues. The Vita version was the worst one, the frame rate made racing impossible.

Don't sit on the fence, LBP:K is a great game. The whole family will enjoy it, my kids are constantly fighting over it to make their own races. The editor is pretty hard to use, due to its flexibility. LBP benefits from being 2Dish, full 3D makes life harder.

There is four player split screen. The campaign can be done co-op. You can only race without AI when you have three or more players locally. Now where is my patch to let me use my Marvel costumes?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit this is the first "kart" game I've really liked outside of Mario Kart.

The problem with kart games is that most of them come across as cheap pandering, to cash in on that Mario Monies. Nintendo's universe lends itself naturally to a spin-off game genre like that. But the LBP theme really, really works well with a racing game like this.

The music is also frankly amazing, but LBP games tend to have great eclectic soundtracks. Finally, it runs much better and drives much better than ModNation. I also like the folding in of the LBP scoring and collection system to the races themselves. Great replayability there.

RagnarokX

They are just like LBP titles, a brief pause, a blink and then a short hint screen. They are much better than MNR.

I'm not sure how anyone can like MNR over this game. LBP Karting is better in every aspect. MNR had loading issues, no personality, super hard races that killed the campaign, boring levels, etc

I'm really glad they dumped the MNR IP. It was a good idea killed by technical and play issues. The Vita version was the worst one, the frame rate made racing impossible.

Don't sit on the fence, LBP:K is a great game. The whole family will enjoy it, my kids are constantly fighting over it to make their own races. The editor is pretty hard to use, due to its flexibility. LBP benefits from being 2Dish, full 3D makes life harder.

There is four player split screen. The campaign can be done co-op. You can only race without AI when you have three or more players locally. Now where is my patch to let me use my Marvel costumes?
I had a long argument with the MNR community that isn't jumping on board. It seems to be mostly sour grapes. They do have some legitimate complaints, like the lack of overall player statistics that MNR had. LBPK has statistics for individual tracks, but they want to compete to be the best overall racer. Some people also prefer to make characters and karts, and this game is inferior in that regard. It seems like an irrational dislike, though, because they don't have any problem with Mario Kart and they believe that game feels competitive and fun; this game is almost an exact ripoff of Mario Kart. Some of them have been actually wishing death upon this game; it's crazy.

Lionheart

I also agree with the general consensus here that the game is very good and fun! It's the first kart game outside of Mario Kart that I've played a lot and it drives very well and the levels also look great, very diverse and fun, it's a beautiful game!

Learning the power ups and their icons took just a bit of time and they're pretty balanced and varied.

Only played with one to two players, playing the story mode alone and with my gf. We kinda split the tasks so that I usually try to finish first and she tries to collect all the extras. Some of the mini games are also a lot of fun, although the camera can be a pain in the 'traffic jam' mini game and the handling of the truck crushing robot can also be annoying.

What I do really miss is a truly separate (local) multiplayer mode where you can do multiple tracks in a row and get points for each. That's not in there right? Just separate races?

Edit: load times are very acceptable, I was worried after reading the complaints, but it actually loads the tracks quite fast imo, didn't bother me at all.

DietRob

I haven't had any qualms with loading. It is exactly the same loading as LBP and LBP2 which were always totally acceptable to me.

Both my son and I are having a BLAST with this title. If you even sorta like mario kart and even sorta like LBP this game is a NO BRAINER.

Concept17

Ordered this yesterday from BB for 25$. Had 15 in certificates, so I got it for 10$.

LBP hasn't let me down so far, and this will be my daughter's first racing game. Looking forward to it.

Is the kart customization similar to sackboy customization?

SykoTech

Been kinda out of the loop with this for awhile, but it's nice to see that the general consensus is positive here. Guess I'll put this back on my purchase list, but for next year. Sega Racing Transformed is scratching my karting itch currently.

DietRob

Ordered this yesterday from BB for 25$. Had 15 in certificates, so I got it for 10$.

LBP hasn't let me down so far, and this will be my daughter's first racing game. Looking forward to it.

Is the kart customization similar to sackboy customization?

From what I've seen (very early in the game). You customize your sackboy, and the cars are merely just skins already customized.

Again I might be missing something because I've only been playing a few hours total.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You customize the kart by picking a frame, seat, engine sound, horn, wheels, and suspension I think. They all behave the same, the track maker can screw with the karts physics and traction as far as the tutorial said.

Not that this thread is a hotbed of activity....

But, here's a track I spent about 10 hours working on over the weekend.

E2D2821284F952B1ECB8A699101A9A25ADBD1489

Queue it up. Feedback welcome. :)

https://karting.lbp.me/v/24qf

mrklaw

MrArseFace

the main draw in this game is the versatile level editor and the potential of the online community. If you see the game as more of a long-term investment, or if you have an interest in creating levels, I'd recommend buying it even for full price.

Kind of a chicken and egg situation.

Kind of bad timing coming out against F1 stars and sonic. f1 doesn't seem very good but sonic is getting a lot of love.

What's the online/community presence like for this game right now? A decent amount of user-generated content to pick from? Easy to get into a race with other players?

DietRob

What's the online/community presence like for this game right now? A decent amount of user-generated content to pick from? Easy to get into a race with other players?

I've found it easy to get into races with randoms. I imagine that the community will expand quite a bit with the recent price drop for black friday/cyber monday. There are a decent amount of community created levels currently. Not as many as their will be after the christmas season.

I've found it easy to get into races with randoms. I imagine that the community will expand quite a bit with the recent price drop for black friday/cyber monday. There are a decent amount of community created levels currently. Not as many as their will be after the christmas season.

That's good to hear, thanks. The game is nowhere near the same popularity as the standard LBP games judging by sales, so I was just wondering what state the community was in. If it's doing alright then that's promising. Don't want the online to die a couple of months after release or something.

Top Bottom