• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

frequency

yah bosses can't get dizzy for them i found myself doing the frontflip chiansaw spin thing(not sure what its called but you have to buy it). Its a really safe attack and pretty powerful. I got alot of platinum medals using it. If you ever find yourself dying too much you might wanna buy a Nick ticket from the store, when you run out of health the Nick ticket activates and a roulette mini-game comes out if you choose the Nick head you get resurrected with full health. This is good for bosses if you run out of lollipops to heal yourself with in the harder difficulties.
No - pom poms are fast attacks with immediate start up and the ability to break out of them using the Dodge/Jump button. One of the most effective tactics I've found on bosses (or even stronger zombies) is to hit them 3-4 times w/ the pom poms and then leap over their head.

Chainsaw attacks have a slower start up, do more damage, and generally lock Juliet into the animation until its finished.

The key to combat is knowing when it's safe to use the chainsaw. Nearly every video I've seen of people playing who a) sucked at the game and thus b) didn't like it have been mashing on the chainsaw button to the neglect of the pom pom attacks.

My general advice to everyone out there: Buy a few of the combos that start out w/ pom poms and end in Chainsaw. You won't regret it.

And no, bosses can't get groggy.

Thank you for the advice. I like this, but I am terrible at action games. I'll try to learn and use more combo attacks.

EYEL1NER

I can't wait for my copy to get here. Couldn't really afford one straight up, but I had a Best Buy gift card and turned it into an Amazon card which I put toward the game.
I just hope those preorder costumes come out soon, if at all.

Can't stay home, can't stay at school
Old folks say, you poor little fool
Down the street, I'm the girl next door
I'm the fox you've been waiting for!
Hello daddy, hello mom!
Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!!!!

Ties with Dragon's Dogma as the best main menu music of 2012.

There's something incredibly satisfying about chainsawing Zed that I just didn't get with most of the other bosses.
Probably because Jimmy Urine's voice acting was supremely annoying (not to dump on him, he did a great job being annoying) and he calls Juliet a slut right off the bat (which didn't sit well with me, to my surprise.)

Squire

Banned
Can't stay home, can't stay at school
Old folks say, you poor little fool
Down the street, I'm the girl next door
I'm the fox you've been waiting for!
Hello daddy, hello mom!
Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!!!!

Ties with Dragon's Dogma as the best main menu music of 2012.

It's a special mix of "Cherry Bomb" by Joan Jett and The Runaways. :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Probably because Jimmy Urine's voice acting was supremely annoying (not to dump on him, he did a great job being annoying) and he calls Juliet a slut right off the bat (which didn't sit well with me, to my surprise.)

He sounds a LOT like Dr. Rockso from Metalocalypse. Anyone else notice that?

I can just hear him saying "I DO COCAINE! G-G-G-G-G-GYEAAAAAAAAH!".

all of the male enemies called her some form of "whore". Its the go to insult of choice for horrible people, i thought it was fitting, even considering their ulterior motives.

Jintor

I found myself getting really angry about the gendered insults in this game (like at the characters rather than the game designers/writers), anybody else find that?

Galdelico

Guys, hope you don't mind me asking for a tip in order to get the good ending.

I completed my first run on Normal difficulty
and I missed saving a few people, so in the end I got the bad birthday achievement

Now - before getting serious and dive into Hard and Very Hard - I started an Easy playthrough to farm coins, buy a few costumes etc... And it happened in the first stage (the one after Prologue)
I rescued the remaining classmates and got the Savior achievement. So I basically saved 95% of them on Normal and the last 5% on Easy.

My question is:
do I have to save them all again on Easy difficulty (I read it on some guide, but it was kinda confusing so I'm not completely sure of it) in order to get the happy ending, or can I just beat the game without caring of rescuing anyone else? Or maybe is the happy ending only achievable from Normal difficulty onwards?

Thanks in advance!

I found myself getting really angry about the gendered insults in this game (like at the characters rather than the game designers/writers), anybody else find that?

I think that's the idea - it's extra motivation to chop them up. Male characters do not come off well in this game.

Completely in love with this game. Combat too a little time to get used to (was expecting it to feel a little faster initially) but now that I have, it's no problem. Voice acting, music and dialogue are all fantastic and it rarely feels like you're doing one thing for too long.

Volcynika

Blah. Having the most annoying time trying to beat dad's score on stage 4. Even if I don't die on the gondola stage, I'm still a couple thousand beneath his score. D:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
just beat the first boss and this game is wonderful. this is also one of Tara Strong's best VOs , imo. so full of cuteness and charm.

click click!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Guys, hope you don't mind me asking for a tip in order to get the good ending.

I completed my first run on Normal difficulty
and I missed saving a few people, so in the end I got the bad birthday achievement

Now - before getting serious and dive into Hard and Very Hard - I started an Easy playthrough to farm coins, buy a few costumes etc... And it happened in the first stage (the one after Prologue)
I rescued the remaining classmates and got the Savior achievement. So I basically saved 95% of them on Normal and the last 5% on Easy.

My question is:
do I have to save them all again on Easy difficulty (I read it on some guide, but it was kinda confusing so I'm not completely sure of it) in order to get the happy ending, or can I just beat the game without caring of rescuing anyone else? Or maybe is the happy ending only achievable from Normal difficulty onwards?

Thanks in advance!

You're fine. All that matters is that
you saved all the students, the difficulty shouldn't matter. I split my student rescuing across a Normal and Hard playthrough with no problems. If you just go straight to the final stage again and beat the last boss you should get the good ending.

TheGrue

I seriously don't understand these people having problems with Zombie Baseball (even with auto-aim off). I've played that level 4 or 5 times and Nick has only ever gotten hit twice. It's seems like pretty standard first-person shooting gallery stuff...

Clearly there must be something wrong with that section given how many people are having trouble with it, but I just can't fathom it...

Yeah, I dunno. I beat it with auto-aim still enabled on my second attempt. The part I had to do like 6 times, for some reason, was the birthday cake.

Giolon

Yeah, I dunno. I beat it with auto-aim still enabled on my second attempt. The part I had to do like 6 times, for some reason, was the birthday cake.
On my Fourth time through that level, I realized what the solution to the cake event is...just before the wave of 5, they drop a star that maxes your super meter. Turn on "Hey Mickey" mode at this point and they hardest section is trivial. It probably would've been better if they had something to point out the fact that they did that (filled your super) that would've made the segment less frustrating.

For the record, I've beaten it w/o using super, but still can't quite do it reliably.
I'm fairly certain that's the point, but a certain set of people seem to be taking the insults spouted by horrible, bad people characters as evidence that the writers/designers are horribly misogynistic assholes.

Future

Finally. All combos unlocked. Now getting sparkle kills easily without having to go into right trigger super mode. Which in turn increases farm so I can unlock the rest of the health bonuses and what not. Even bosses are a little more fun now that I know their patterns. Got my first perfect straight a+ in stage 2. Feels good man

Game is pretty fun now. But I can understand the distaste. It takes a long damn time for this to be enjoyable. Shit like the cake and baseball thing seems impossible with default unlocks and settings (auto aim, power). They aren't nearly as bad now and I always finish them first try

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finally. All combos unlocked. Now getting sparkle kills easily without having to go into right trigger super mode. Which in turn increases farm so I can unlock the rest of the health bonuses and what not. Even bosses are a little more fun now that I know their patterns. Got my first perfect straight a+ in stage 2. Feels good man

Game is pretty fun now. But I can understand the distaste. It takes a long damn time for this to be enjoyable. Shit like the cake and baseball thing seems impossible with default unlocks and settings (auto aim, power). They aren't nearly as bad now and I always finish them first try

At least it aint Final Fantasy XIII where you need to play like 20-25 hours for it to get "fun" lol.

JohngPR

Beat the game earlier.

It was a crazy, fun filled ride that got better as it went along.

As far as the sexualization of the character, the one smart thing that they did with Juliet is that they had the sexualization projected to her instead of having it coming from her.

That's probably why I felt more comfortable playing this than Bayonetta and why I got a hell of a lot less odd looks from my wife (I only got one weird look...at the very beginning of the opening cutscene when she's in bed...I think the "We wear our vaginas proudly" line won her over. LOL

So what is everyone's favorite lines?

For some reason, it cracks me up every time Juliet yells out "Pop it!" during Sparkle Hunting. Also, some of the random Zombie dialogue is pretty funny. My favorite is when one of the zombies yelled out "Fuck, I'm dead!" when you killed him.

:p

Yuterald

I impulse purchased this game on launch day and I just got to Stage 4 on Normal. To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of an old school Suda51 fan (if that's even possible?). Killer7 and the original No More Heroes are still my favorite games of his. I didn't really enjoy Shadows of the Damned, at all. It was too janky and unpolished and not the good No More Heroes kind of jank. There was little to no replay incentives, terrible structure, overdone "mini-games", horrible difficulty balance (bosses with insane amounts of HP on higher modes), etc. Just terrible all around. The soundtrack and the story books were the best parts about the game. I wasn't planning on picking up Lollipop at all, but after reading some impressions from Suda51 fans throwing around statements like "His best game since NMH/Killer7", etc. I just had to check it out.

Well, four stages in, and I gotta say, it's definitely NOT better than No More Heroes. It absolutely blows away Shadows of the Turds (which isn't very hard to do) but from what I've seen and played it pales in comparison to No More Heroes in practically every category aside from maybe the combat. The humor and the general message just isn't clicking. Maybe I'm getting too old for this? I don't know. Everything just seems too surface level in this game. I mean, I get it, homework sucks, jocks/goths/clicks, etc. are annoying. Is that all that's here?

These bosses are absolutely, in no way, better than the assassins in No More Heroes. They are definitely in the vein of No More Heroes, but they are missing personality, hardcore. Christ, even in Shadows of the Damned all the bosses had back stories and a purpose for being there and they were really well written and thought out too! Maybe these bosses are explained later? I just fought the Stage 3 boss in Lollipop and while the fight was interesting, I don't know who the fuck she was! ...and yeah, I get it, it's a VIDEO GAME BOSS, who cares. But you know what I say to that, this is a SUDA51 GAME. There are certain expectations now. =/

The most interesting thing about Juliet so far is her family. Juliet's family & Sensei are total Suda51 characters and they make the game so far. It's what sets this apart from C-tier action game like Onechanbara. Seriously, if I didn't know any better I would think Lollipop Chainsaw was a Onechanbara title if I gave it a passing glance. I don't know, I hope I'm wrong and the story/message gets more interesting as I close in on the end, but so far I'm a bit underwhelmed. I think Stage 3 really rubbed me the wrong way. That farm level was too long and the crop field mini game stuff was insanely dull. Doing odd jobs in No More Heroes like mowing the lawn and filling up cars with gas was cool because it worked well with Travis as a character. In this game it just felt forced.

I might sound ultra negative here, but I do enjoy the game. It's certainly 10x more fun than Shadows of the Damned and it's a pretty decent action game on its own and there's plenty of replay value, etc. I just gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with it so far. Hopefully my mind changes when I beat the game. Honestly though, I don't see this taking trumping Killer7 or No More Heroes.

well managed to get all achievements, I really enjoyed this, issues aside.
(mainly yes Zombie baseball -- though I did manage to beat them without restarting on my last two runs which were ranked then hard -- and the gondola achievement)

It was genuinely challenging and fun, even in hard mode (thank you Nick Tickets)...I also enjoyed the humor and dialogue, Tara Strong and Michael Rosenbaum really did a good job with their roles including mostly everyone else.

I wish I had gotten the Ash costume though...oh well, c'est la vie.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God, QTEs are the worst. This kind of thing really makes you appreciate Bayonetta mostly letting QTEs only do minor damage most of the time.

HOWEVER

I jumped on a bunch of heads, and when Juliet landed, she said super-seriously "You are already dead". So, good job 8-4 or Gunn or Suda or whoever wrote that line.

I recall Bayonetta QTEs out of nowhere always killing you, and it was one of the shittiest things about the game.

Blah. Having the most annoying time trying to beat dad's score on stage 4. Even if I don't die on the gondola stage, I'm still a couple thousand beneath his score. D:

Stage 4 is actually really easy because there's an infinite spawn point on the minigame before the gondola. At one point the floor blows up and you have to hit a button combo to jump on zombie heads across, mess it up and fall then kill them. Ride the elevator back up and repeat until you feel like your score is good enough. :D

Kazzy

I recall Bayonetta QTEs out of nowhere always killing you, and it was one of the shittiest things about the game.

Ah, yes, I seem to remember a couple of bosses were defeated like that, failure meant a game over too. Frustrating.

In fairness, the QTE's in LC seem very forgiving.

Volcynika

Stage 4 is actually really easy because there's an infinite spawn point on the minigame before the gondola. At one point the floor blows up and you have to hit a button combo to jump on zombie heads across, mess it up and fall then kill them. Ride the elevator back up and repeat until you feel like your score is good enough. :D

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Thanks for the tip!

Volcynika

Phew.

Just gotta go through hard mode to get the remaining zombie profiles and items and ranking mode. Then buy up the rest of the items, and a couple easy extra things. Then I'll have the platinum. Huzzah!

The gondola thing took me about 7 tries though, I got realllllll lucky at the end of it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think that's the idea - it's extra motivation to chop them up. Male characters do not come off well in this game.

I love how you got the contrast between the bosses who are calling her whore/slut and then the enemies that can say "marry me" and "I love you" while you're killing them.

Vazra

Wall of Text.

Probably when you unlock most of the moves and see that not everything can be done in 1 playthrought you might start getting the replay value. There are moves and costumes to unlock. The characters do have their reason of why they are there but they do not have back stories perse. Hope when you enjoy the game you get as hooked as me. ^_^

Grisby

Ha got the prologue level down to 11 minutes. I think I've beaten every level at least 3 or 4 times. Got one more Dad's score to beat and I think I'm gonna shelve it. The world and characters were pretty fun to be in.

It's so rough around the edges but I had a good enough time. I'd like to see a sequel with deeper combat, more combos and maybe a leveling deal for your chainsaw. The main thing is that there just needs to be more! There's potential for a really great sequel here.

Beat the game on normal earlier today. Really loved it.

More than likely going to work towards the platinum trophy. Once you beat the game, it actually has enough hooks to keep you going back to upgrade Juliet and buy more skills/outfits. Lots of fun.

Jintor

I actually think the combat system in this is really competent (the low-high thing is actually pretty interesting, though I think it could have been used more by unique enemies that block high, block low etc) but the difficulty in chaining things together, the high animation priority and the inability to cancel into dodges, etc really bug me. I really like having the option of the blaster though, if it came out faster (or you could upgrade it to come out faster or something) - it's really natural-feeling to just pop it out and zap barrels, whatever with it. Like you can make it a third-person shooter for half-a-second just when you need it to be one.

It's so rough around the edges but I had a good enough time. I'd like to see a sequel with deeper combat, more combos and maybe a leveling deal for your chainsaw. The main thing is that there just needs to be more! There's potential for a really great sequel here.

No More Heroes 3 x Lollipop Chainsaw

Squire

Banned
Ha got the prologue level down to 11 minutes. I think I've beaten every level at least 3 or 4 times. Got one more Dad's score to beat and I think I'm gonna shelve it. The world and characters were pretty fun to be in.

I hope there is a sequel, too. I've seen people say this is the type of thing a sequel would ruin and while I get the sentiment, I don't agree with it in regards to anything because you never have to read/watch/play/partake in a sequel if you don't want to. Just ignore it.

So yeah, I'd lovd Lollipop Chainsaw 2.

Quick

Banned
I hope there is a sequel, too. I've seen people say this is the type of thing a sequel would ruin and while I get the sentiment, I don't agree with it in regards to anything because you never have to read/watch/play/partake in a sequel if you don't want to. Just ignore it.

So yeah, I'd lovd Lollipop Chainsaw 2.

Haven't finished it yet, but from what I'm seeing, anything is possible in a sequel. Absolutely anything.

And on an unrelated note, I'd love for Grasshopper to port No More Heroes 2 to the PS3.

Beat it. Final Boss was nuts (though I think I liked
Lewis
more). And of course it wouldn't be a Grasshopper game without some kind of fakeout. Totally expected there to be more once
you got inside the body
. Ah well.

Anyway, this was a damn fun game. Good combat, absolutely hilarious dialogue, super likeable characters (especially the bosses), and a godly soundtrack where even the licensed stuff fit. My only complaints was the eh camera occasionally and the load times (which might not be as bad on the 360 version).

I think I might like the NMH games more, but only a bit. This is a fine addition to Grasshopper's roster and I really hope it does well.

Vazra

Lollipop Chainsaw sales data from today:

Gamestop US: 9th place on Ps3 and 15 on 360 best sellers. (Some PSN cards and accesories are taking most of the space)
Amazon US: 4th place on Ps3 and 5th place on 360. (Same as above)

I think its keeping a decent pace. for a Grasshopper game. Hopefully its selling well on Europe and Japan too.

Squire

Banned
Haven't finished it yet, but from what I'm seeing, anything is possible in a sequel. Absolutely anything.

And on an unrelated note, I'd love for Grasshopper to port No More Heroes 2 to the PS3.

Well, I've finished it twice and you're absolutely right.

kunonabi

Lollipop Chainsaw sales data from today:

Gamestop US: 9th place on Ps3 and 15 on 360 best sellers. (Some PSN cards and accesories are taking most of the space)
Amazon US: 4th place on Ps3 and 5th place on 360. (Same as above)

I think its keeping a decent pace. for a Grasshopper game. Hopefully its selling well on Europe and Japan too.

I'm no Mr. Sales-age but that doesn't sound too shabby.

Vazra

I'm no Mr. Sales-age but that doesn't sound too shabby.

For a Grasshopper game doesn't sound too shabby. I would like people to check EU sites like where its standing in some of their stores or Japan sites. Its always interesting to compare how people react to the games. Lollipop Chainsaw seems to be more directed to the US audience if you ask me but I can see it doing alright or better than US market.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! beat it!!!

can I get the good ending if I only replay those levels where I didnt do well??

or do I gotta do the whole thing all over again??

Galdelico

You're fine. All that matters is that
you saved all the students, the difficulty shouldn't matter. I split my student rescuing across a Normal and Hard playthrough with no problems. If you just go straight to the final stage again and beat the last boss you should get the good ending.
Thank you mate, it worked.

On my third run (Hard difficulty) now: with Juliet quite leveled-up, I find the game being proper brilliant.

Edit - JEKKI, you can replay only those levels and then fly to the final boss.

Really enjoyed Stage 3, the crop harvesting was so great and enjoyed the hell out of sparklehunting a whole load of zombies in that spot with all of the barrels. I can't help but smile during the Nick QTEs. Loving the boss battles. The more I play the game the more I'm finding to love about it in spite of its early flaws.

Top Bottom