• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP had a poor launch on Steam with only 800 players

Draugoth

Gold Member
Today saw the official release of Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP, which is now available on PC, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and Xbox, but the game's situation may not be the best in terms of players.

Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP only registered a peak of 801 players on Steam, with 590 playing at the time of publication. One of the reasons that may have put players off is its price. In Brazil, the game costs $40, but is now discounted to $35

lollipop-chainsaw-repop-113586.webp

Although the number of players is low, the good news is that Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP is available on Steam with “very positive” reviews. There are 127 positive reviews against 29 negative reviews.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

proandrad

They should have updated the main character’s model. Not hot enough for today’s standards, and that’s most of the game’s appeal.

xrnzaaas

What makes it not a proper remake?
It's the same 12 year old game with improved visuals as the only real highlight. So only a simple remaster, not rebuilt from scratch and lacking major changes to make it feel modern.

Plus it sounds like the soundtrack was butchered since they didn't bother to pay for the licences.

Well Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer Is Dead never had the hype of No More Heroes games.
And this is my least favorite of those three by the way.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm not shocked. I would've been interested in this, but didn't they change a lot of the stuff related to the original soundtrack? That was a big part of the original's appeal to me.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm not shocked. I would've been interested in this, but didn't they change a lot of the stuff related to the original soundtrack? That was a big part of the original's appeal to me.

Yeah the soundtrack is missing a bunch of licensed music and they also got rid of Jimmy Urine's voicework/character

Last edited:

SnapShot

Still better than Dustborn and Concord

Also no Denuvo or Censorship (cut music doesn't count because that's more of a licensing issue which will likely be solved via mods anyways)

Going to check this out at some point for sure, maybe during Halloween

Last edited:

ssringo

Is it a poor launch though? It's a fairly basic remaster. I doubt they poured a bunch of money into the release and don't need to sell gangbusters to make their money back.

The original release was a slow seller too, taking over 1.5 years to crack 1 million.

Holammer

Never played it, got zero nostalgia for it and I'm not a Suda admirer. It's one of those games where a small minority have elevated it beyond its actual worth.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm part of the problem :(

Loved this on PS3 back in the day, and I will buy the PC version at some point. I just have too much to play at the moment.
You ain't part of the problem, those are PC numbers and was probably the highest they'd be anyway.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Oh, they got rid of Jimmy Urine and his music? Definite no buy from me. I'll just play the OG at that rate.

From Steam

Whats worse in RePOP?
- the new soundtrack is absolutely terrible compared to the OG version. The new tracks are so unbelievably bland compared to what we had before. Songs like "Hey Mickey," "Riot rhythm," "The Way of the Fist," ect all fit the game so well and for them, and more, to not be included really sucks. I don't think the devs understand how much the soundtrack added to the OG game

Hard pass right there

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Checked Amazon and prices for used copies of the 360/PS3 versions are already double what I paid a year or so ago.

Get it while you can

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeaahh. The loss of the soundtrack is annoying me. I may just pop in the original on the old XBox 360.

Does the 360 emulator run games fine? I may try getting it to work on PC.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yeaahh. The loss of the soundtrack is annoying me. I may just pop in the original on the old XBox 360.

Does the 360 emulator run games fine? I may try getting it to work on PC.
I think the PS3 emu is farther ahead than the 360 one. I've seen 4K 60fps playthroughs of MGS and Demon's Souls PS3 games.

Javi97

Neo Member
Just because it has boobs doesn't mean people will buy it, it's an old game and it doesn't change much.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They could cut the price in half and be at a decent starter price where most would still wait for a sale. They're delusional.

JayK47

I didn't know that it was a requirement to buy a game on release day and play it to show my undying support for it.

I plan to eventually pick this up once I have time and some spare money.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Especially with Shadows of the Damned being at $25

Just doesnt make any sense to be $45
I mean, the OG was great but it definitely had a niche audience. Rereleasing a game that only hardcore players would recognize with cut content that they would definitely notice at $45 seems like an odd plan. It's like a product marketed at no one.

CliffBronger

Neo Member
I've picked this up, I never played the original so not fussed about the soundtrack although i hear modders will come to the rescue for those who are.

Seems ok but not the best time to release a game when there a ton of new games and even more coming out shortly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom