• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

Falt said:
Heart goes out to anyone affected by the last few days, truly mind blowing stuff.

Moving to Stratford, London tomorrow from Dublin. Arriving by Ferry at Hollyhead, driving from there on.

Little anxious as we don't know the area, and we're in a big red van with Irish plates. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Toss as much as you can in the back, then park a couple of blocks away and stack everything to maximise the space you have. Cover your plates and wear a balaclava to ensure anonymity. The problem with simply wrapping a scarf around your face is it may slip off in the heat of the moment.

Jintor

jorma said:
Yes it is about people's morality but you are not going to affect that morality by ignoring them until they go violent and then hitting them hard. That's my own experience having grown up in an environment where police and politicians and the general public shits all over you, all the time. I've seen police purjor themselves just to get at me, thinking "if he didnt do this, he probably did something else to deserve it". It's really frustrating, and i still don't trust any of the fuckers after that. Even though i did turn out fine.

And even if the shitting upon is deserved it does exactly nothing to change their morality in the long term. Rubber bullets might sate the bloodthirst of the general public and stop the riots for now, but it's unfortunate that shit has to go that far, because it will only ensure that the next generation learns their hatred of the police directly from the tits of their mothers. Downward spiral and all that.

That's true, but the soft hand ain't gonna cut it with the hooligans on the street now

Cyport

Falt said:
Heart goes out to anyone affected by the last few days, truly mind blowing stuff.

Moving to Stratford, London tomorrow from Dublin. Arriving by Ferry at Hollyhead, driving from there on.

Little anxious as we don't know the area, and we're in a big red van with Irish plates. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

You should be fine on the main roads, thats the M25 and M11 but when you get near just be careful and check news plus don't go down alleyways or where the police are.

OG Kush said:
Whats with so much hate towards "innit"? I can't lie, I use it sometimes - its jst slang .. why so much hate?
Easy target right now, as is anything than could be associated with those ... people who are demonstrating complete craziness.

Falt said:
Irish HaloGAF loses a cool one, nooo.jpg. Career related?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
OG Kush said:
Whats with so much hate towards "innit"? I can't lie, I use it sometimes - its jst slang .. why so much hate?

Because it never makes grammatical sense.

It's just vomited out at the end of every sentence.

X-Frame

UK-GAF, how does everything look today?

I haven't followed the last 20 pages because of work, but I read a Mashable article that cleanups are going strong now.

RubberBullet.jpg

Against

Jezbollah

jmdajr said:
what's the equivalent of the national guard over there?

There isnt, really. That's what we would need to crack some skulls.

The closest is the Territorial Army, but they're a volunteer force of the British Army, designed really for use overseas...

Ponti

X-Frame said:

I haven't followed the last 20 pages because of work, but I read a Mashable article that cleanups are going strong now.
Too soon to say. The cleanup might be for nothing if it kicks off hard again tonight.

DECK'ARD said:
Because it never makes grammatical sense.

It's just vomited out at the end of every sentence.

lol so what? It's slang, isn't that hard to understand

Easy target as some people already have said, some are showing their class-based insults...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Meus Renaissance said:
http://www.realnewsreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/RubberBullet.jpg

Against
To be fair, after seeing some of their photos, for some of the looters this could be an improvement.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
argos an mc donalds in eltham just has been looted

blue water is shut

Wes

venison crêpe
X-Frame said:

All the kids are asleep so there's nothing happening at the moment. Going to have to wait until after Hollyoaks at 6pm for any trouble to start.

iceatcs

Hmm the thing got interesting, I think I saw a local pub football team running after 2 chavs in my village park.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mecha_Infantry said:
lol so what? It's slang, isn't that hard to understand

Easy target as some people already have said, some are showing their class-based insults...

I blame Kidulthood and Adulthood.

By the end of Attack The Block I wanted to stab myself in both ears.

Zenith

Banned
For all the rioters posting on twitter, some must have posted enough detail to work out their adddresses. Couldn't we send fake tweets saying we're going to go loot & burn their house if they're out rioting tonight?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
buildings on fire in chatham high street closed ( Primark an few others )

Raydeen

What ever happened to the riot foam I always used to see on reports about Policing in the future. Like that annoying expanding foam you buy from DIY stores to seal cracks but instand drying, so protestors get turned into Weeping Angels. Instant pacification plus fun for the kids the next day if you leave 'em for 24 hours to piss their pants on the spot.

DECK'ARD said:
I blame Kidulthood and Adulthood.

By the end of Attack The Block I wanted to stab myself in both ears.

I heard ATB was pretty bad, but do remember some of us are from these areas and still use these words, even though we are educated, etc!

Wimbledon is on lock down now, my work has shut down

Mr. Sam

Zenith said:
For all the rioters posting on twitter, some must have posted enough detail to work out their adddresses. Couldn't we send fake tweets saying we're going to go loot & burn their house if they're out rioting tonight?

You could; I don't know if it's exactly advisable.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Mecha_Infantry said:
I heard ATB was pretty bad, but do remember some of us are from these areas and still use these words, even though we are educated, etc!

Wimbledon is on lock down now, my work has shut down
There's a few people in the law firm I work at refusing to leave. Nothings going to happen in wimbledon, its way too upper class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom