• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

mre said:
Iraq, Afganistan, England. Can America really wage a 3-front war?
No time to be fucking cracking jokes

anyway, send our Army over, they have nothing else to do. It'll take less than an hour to fly over

vaelic

Banned
There is only one hope for this...

cIyXY.jpg

Ashes1396 said:
Good gawd, people were evacuating their children in Croydon... :(

I'm a parent and if there was any civil unrest near me I would pack our valuables/irreplaceable items and leave the area with my child the first chance I got. Wouldn't risk it even if the chance of violence is relatively low.

Meus Renaissance said:

No idea what I am looking at here....

Zenith

Banned
After the perversity of corrupt businesses being "too big to fail" we've now got crime "too big to prosecute". Rob one person on your own, yeah the police'll respond, rob a whole store in a group of 40 it's "ooh we can't do anything, let's watch from over here".

Cyport said:
The BBM on Blackberry is suspected as the number 1 communication between the thugs to organize the riots

Thanks, to be fair you cant blame Blackberry, but it is unfortunate that the service is so popular amongst the chavs. :( Really any messaging service could be to blame. At least this way there are digital tracks to incriminate the thugs.

Perhaps Blackberry could shut the service down, but then you would piss off the many people who use the service legitimately whilst also just making it so that the thugs switch to another form of communication.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Confirmed: Mark Duggan didn't open fire.

As expected, but might inflame things tonight. He did have a gun though.

bobs99 ... said:
Thanks, to be fair you cant blame Blackberry, but it is unfortunate that the service is so popular amongst the chavs. :( Really any messaging service could be to blame. At least this way there are digital tracks to incriminate the thugs.

Perhaps Blackberry could shut the service down, but then you would piss off the many people who use the service legitimately whilst also just making it so that the thugs switch to another form of communication.

They already have been hacked and threatened with violence for cooperating.

gawker.com/5829069/blackberry-hacked-for-cooperating-with-london-police

Osiris said:
If they touch that shop I'm heading out with my own damn weapons, sticking "The Liquidator" on my iPod, and going Clockwork Orange on their asses! :p

http://twitter.com/#!/SuptPayneWMP/status/100965738826842113
Some disorder in Wolverhampton city centre, working hard to bring it under control

And so it starts in Wolverhampton

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Posted earlier, but still if true:

Gawker Article

How disgusting is this?

It's the same "I can do what I want" attitude... Who the fuck are these people to think they somehow are above the law?

SteveWD40

DECK'ARD said:

Oh snap! source?

That will get it kicking off in London again, the rest of the country is just opportunist looting.

Meadows

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

That has fuck all to do with anything. I bet most of the people out there didn't even know he was killed.

EDIT:
1659: Sir Hugh Ord, president of Acpo - the Association of Chief Police - tells BBC 5 live the Met commissioner is "determined" to find and punish the people who looted last night.
"The game is over, the police will respond robustly and we will move on. We will get the streets back,"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Any other reports of locals resisting the rioters, in force? Or are people still locked in their basement, waiting?

EDIT: I found out you guys don't have basements. Tea rooms?

Bumhead

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

Well he wasn't out picking flowers or helping old ladies cross the road.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SteveWD40 said:
Oh snap! source?

That will get it kicking off in London again, the rest of the country is just opportunist looting.

Just announcing the IPCC report on Sky now.

He was killed by one shot to the chest, the police officer who fired (both shots?) said he felt threatened. His gun had bullets in the chamber, no word on how it was recovered yet though. There were reports it was found in a sock at the scene.

SteveWD40

Meadows said:
That has fuck all to do with anything. I bet most of the people out there didn't even know he was killed.

In Tottenham it was the focus at first, now it's just a shopping spree but the main gangs might be back to wanting to fight the Police.

Ponti

Clear said:
Posted earlier, but still if true:

Gawker Article

How disgusting is this?

It's the same "I can do what I want" attitude... Who the fuck are these people to think they somehow are above the law?
And once again under the guise of "THE INNOCENT PEOPLES FREEDOMS". Fuck the rioters and the hackers.

DECK'ARD said:

Police have explaining to do then I guess.

Did other people in the cab that he was with open fire?

He shouldn't have had a firearm, pure and simple - the squad wouldn't have even been looking into them / tailing them if he wasn't involved in shit

Meadows

Banned
Sunflower said:
Any other reports of locals resisting the rioters, in force? Or are people still locked in their basement, waiting?

smh

Ponti

Sunflower said:

It's like American ignorance is infectious or something. One starts and the others come walking in. Sorry I mean rolling.

DECK'ARD said:
Things brewing in Wolverhampton:

368645590.jpg

Thank fuck I navigated myself around that area..... still saw loads of police and dodgy looking types. It's not much consolation that I made it home as I live pretty much in the centre.

Clear said:

They apparently are above the law. The U.K. government is a bunch of fucking cowards who refuse to get their hands dirty in order to clean the streets. The criminals can see this and will continue to riot/loot/destroy everything until they see a sign that the government is willing to do what it takes to stop them.

This seems to be a side effect of capitalism. The fact that they are coordinating with blackberries when they shouldn't be able to afford them says it all. We're pressured and sub-consciously forced to purchase things that we don't really need and many of us can't afford. And before anyone chimes in and says no one is forced to buy anything, the fact that many of us are paying for internet access(when a lot of us don't have jobs or are able to pay our rent says it all) People choose to pay for cable before water. I just wish I knew there was a way to fix this, instead of just putting a band-aid over it.

Kayo-kun

Haha anyone seen the videos of the Turkish shop owners in London? They are like the Koreans in LA riots, protecting the shops with döner knives and scaring the looters away. It's really sad that people have to stay up night and do this because the police doesn't do much.

Manager

DECK'ARD said:
16.56 Greater Manchester Police report a stand-off with 70-80 youths at a shopping centre in Salford. Earlier "children" ran through the shopping centre knocking over bins and stealing from shops. So far Manchester has escaped the violence that has blighted much of the country.

Apparently this was a false alarm, saw this on a Manchester forum:
Reports of 'stand off' between gangs and police in Salford exaggerated. 20 or so youths dispersed by police - one brick thrown, no injuries

Someone just posted this, but it could be anything:
OK, first sirens of the afternoon just went flying past up Porltand Street... could be anything, mind.

Ponti

MrGame&Watch said:
This seems to be a side effect of capitalism. The fact that they are coordinating with blackberries when they shouldn't be able to afford them says it all. We're pressured and sub-consciously forced to purchase things that we don't really need and many of us can't afford. And before anyone chimes in and says no one is forced to buy anything, the fact that many of us are paying for internet access(when a lot of us don't have jobs or are able to pay our rent says it all) People choose to pay for cable before water. I just wish I knew there was a way to fix this, instead of just putting a band-aid over it.
It's pretty easy to be able to afford a Blackberry on the dole. There is no deeper meaning to this, it's just a bunch of chavs wrecking and stealing shit because they can.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
weekend_warrior said:
Is the white guy getting robbed of his clothes in broad daylight?
And having his photo taken and uploaded on the internet by the tossers who are robbing him.

outunderthestars said:
The criminals can see this and will continue to riot/loot/destroy everything until they see a sign that the government is willing to do what it takes to stop them.
Or citizens. You can only fuck with people's lives so much until they act far more lethally than police ever would.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ponti said:
It's like American ignorance is infectious or something. One starts and the others come walking in. Sorry I mean rolling.
Respond to ignorance with ignorance. That's how riots start. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom