• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

BlazingDarkness said:
Friend posted this on fb about Manchester, anyone can confirm?

See above on the page you posted and previous, much about it there. Nothing yet, stores closed but no looting or major violence.

Dipswitch

I'm supposed to visit London AND Manchester next month on route to visiting some family and I can honestly say this bullshit has me second guessing the whole trip. My heart goes out to anyone impacted by this. I'm seething after watching that video of the poor sod having his backpack rifled through after getting the shit kicked out of him. Absolutely disgusting.

SteveWD40

BlazingDarkness said:
Friend posted this on fb about Manchester, anyone can confirm?

Not that I can hear, and I am damn close.

Knowing my luck this will be me tonight

2rcc2u8.gif

clockpunk

One little scumbag taken - trying to bring it to Glasgow... too many nutcases on the side of law and order would quell any of that nonsense, I hope.

Last night, I could see at least two helicopters circling the poorer areas/football grounds, probably keeping an eye out for any signs of gathering. Here's hoping they continue to do so tonight.

Meadows said:
gmpolice GM Police
Wigan man arrested on suspicion of using social media to incite disorder by GMP

Bet he got a good knock around the head :)

I suspect a lot of GMPs tweets are actually clever PR designed to affect things on the ground.

By saying last night that nothing was going on (even if it was true) it keeps the yobs away because they think nothing is going on... these kids are like moths to a flame. In London they've been drawn to the trouble zones by the smoke from the fire and the noise. Running inteference on kids trying to spread the word and cause rumour about trouble would actually be a great idea in that respect. And by telling the world that someones been arrested for incitement, and not even in Manchester itself, it puts all of those using Twitter and BBM on notice not to do something similar.

Raxel said:
Here are some snaps my brother and I took last night in Ealing:

Hounslow was fine last night. I hear Southall, Hounslow and Hounslow West have been locked down as of mid-afternoon.

Wow, it spread to West Ealing,I thought it was just near the Green.

I think BBC News just said rioting was going on in Manchester, and a BBC camera guy had been attacked. Can't confirm cos it was in the background, anybody hear it?

Dachande

A friend told me his girlfriend in Manchester rang him and said the town centre is teeming with gangs of chavs and "as many if not more police". Nothing happening, just tension.

Probably mentioned already, but the BBC said that Met police is calling the Specials for help.

What are Specials? Police Special Forces?

butter_stick said:
I think BBC News just said rioting was going on in Manchester, and a BBC camera guy had been attacked. Can't confirm cos it was in the background, anybody hear it?

Yeah I had in open in another tab, it was Salford and they were looting alcohol from what I gathered.

SteelAttack said:
Probably mentioned already, but the BBC said that Met police is calling the Specials for help.

What are Specials? Police Special Forces?

Part time volunteer policemen.

Ashes

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I suspect a lot of GMPs tweets are actually clever PR designed to affect things on the ground.

By saying last night that nothing was going on (even if it was true) it keeps the yobs away because they think nothing is going on... these kids are like moths to a flame. In London they've been drawn to the trouble zones by the smoke from the fire and the noise. Running inteference on kids trying to spread the word and cause rumour about trouble would actually be a great idea in that respect. And by telling the world that someones been arrested for incitement, and not even in Manchester itself, it puts all of those using Twitter and BBM on notice not to do something similar.

The only problem beng that Word spreads faster then police twitter... They aren't gonna get their info from police twitter

SteveWD40

Dachande said:
A friend told me his girlfriend in Manchester rang him and said the town centre is teeming with gangs of chavs and "as many if not more police". Nothing happening, just tension.

*goes out on balcony*

Not true, at least not anywhere close to Portland, Fairfeild, Whitworth or Piccadilly. People walking home from work, no noise, heard like 1 siren.

1752: BBC reporters in Salford say looters are breaking into Bargain Booze and the Money Sho on Hankinson Way. A BBC cameraman has been assaulted.

no pics raxel?

Either way I knew someone would be using angle grinders to either break locks or simply demolish through material. Angle grinders are just crazy, but extremely loud.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ponti said:
Pff if people in Edinburgh can't even start a riot over these bloody trams then some chavs in London won't do shit.

I remember them laying down the first tracks in Winter 2008. The traffic disruption added over an hour to my journey back to Galashiels. Lo and behold I return to Edinburgh in May 2011 and they're still not finished. That and the Waverley Line are beyond a joke now.

industrian said:
Right now this seems to be an England-only affair. I'd like to think that the second someone started shit in Glasgow, people would get all John Smeaton on them.

For some reason I can't imagine Glasgow neds getting involved in crazy ass riots like this. Not all of them of course, but some of them have a weird moral compass in my experience.

Apparently it's going to get worse, some of the kids were interviewed and were asked if it's going to go on tonight, and they were lyk YEHH DEFFO MAN, CANT WAIT ENNITT, IT'S GNNA BE TOO SIKK!!

WJD

I just hope Newquay's riot free for when I go down at the weekend. Should be safe that far south I imagine!

SteveWD40

And they will be met with GMP's riot squad.

As I say (for the 100th time), I live right in the centre and even if I couldn't see it I would be able to hear it.

Ponti

industrian said:
I remember them laying down the first tracks in Winter 2008. The traffic disruption added over an hour to my journey back to Galashiels. Lo and behold I return to Edinburgh in May 2011 and they're still not finished. That and the Waverley Line are beyond a joke now.
I've forgotten what Princes Street looks like now it's been closed for so long.

Dachande

SteveWD40 said:
*goes out on balcony*

Not true, at least not anywhere close to Portland, Fairfeild, Whitworth or Piccadilly. People walking home from work, no noise, heard like 1 siren.

She was right outside the Arndale Centre where she works, apparently. Again, no rioting, just lots of kids/teenagers/whatever and police.

Renmei

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
http://youtu.be/E7Drx9X0BaE

http://youtu.be/7rCSu9GO1ps

Yeah, but is this the right way?

I mean, there is suppression of rioters and there is suppressing the conciousness of that dude with a riot shield.

And this is why you don't act up in Korea.
I just saw this video as one of the suggested related videos. Damn brits, your police really need to toughen up and get some training in handling rioters and out of control mobs. They seem to be getting their asses kicked by your version of white/trailer trash, just imagine if they had to control a mob of crazy asian veterans like these..

Meus Renaissance said:
Sky just did a short report comparing the education and employment statistics in the areas hit with those that weren't. Whilst all of the communities are angered, communities in e.g. Hackney are more likely to have the opinion that socio-economic factors are the underlying causes for this type of culture whereas those in e.g. Battersea are more likely to dismiss it as sheer madness. I found that very interesting.

Yeah, it was kinda :| when they interviewed the man and woman at the salad bar with their carbonated water talking about.."it was just mindless thugs". Then they showed the percentages of educated and employed people, and the Battersea people came way above the Hackney based people by a large amount

I don't know why people are not listening to the people doing this shit, and just want to cement their own beliefs that it's just hoodlums doing it for fun. They're telling you it's not just for fun, but everyone else says different.

Like the old man said to Boris "Listen to the black youth"

SteveWD40

Jeff Albertson said:
Some kids on bikes have smashed windows at Harvey nicholls (my sister works there) and attempted to loot Reiss in Manchester

At least chavs would be skinny enough for Reiss, their "XL" is a joke...

DSN2K

OH SHIT GAF they are heading towards me, West Wickham getting hit now, shops in Hayes(bromley) are closing up now in preparation :(

MarkKleinman: I’ve learnt that the Home Secretary has just told industry leaders to expect more robust policing in London tonight.

MarkKleinman Mark Kleinman
Home Sec told industry leaders that “retail crime will not be tolerated”

Evlar

Banned
Incredible how little coverage this has been getting stateside. Everyone has been obsessing on market movements; only in the past few hours has it been elevated to headline status on the bigger outlets.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Birmingham again:

17.49 BREAKING We are hearing reports of a gang of 200 thugs armed with sticks going through Birmingham town centre. Riot police are dealing with them, according to Darren Little of Sky Midlands. Reports of cars being set alight.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
killer_clank said:
For some reason I can't imagine Glasgow neds getting involved in crazy ass riots like this. Not all of them of course, but some of them have a weird moral compass in my experience.

I used to work in McDonalds in Glasgow (Crow Road) and we'd have a bunch of Neds hanging around our store most nights acting like, well, Neds. Every so often they'd start shit (throwing bottles, etc) leading one night to them laying siege to our store for 30 mins whilst the police turned up (which I "provoked" apparently with a rather witty "yer maw" comeback to them after taking verbal abuse.)

I'm a big guy so I wasn't afraid of it, but I've seen what this kind of situation does to people. The 16 year old part timers were shitting themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom