• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kayo-kun said:
Haha anyone seen the videos of the Turkish shop owners in London? They are like the Koreans in LA riots, protecting the shops with döner knives and scaring the looters away. It's really sad that people have to stay up night and do this because the police doesn't do much.

Yeah, the Turks ain't taking shit from any scum. They've worked hard and they aren't about to let it go up in flames.

I've been busy the last few days and I'm behind on what the situation is like on the ground. Is the violence and/or numbers of people looting/rioting dying down now?

dc89

Mounted police are in Preston town centre. Just making a presence felt I think.

Also shops at a retail park in Preston are being boarded up just in case.

marrec

Banned
Mat C said:
Well he wasn't out picking flowers or helping old ladies cross the road.

He had a gun presumably. It's quite possible he was threatening to fire or wouldn't lower his weapon. Duggan isn't some martry and I hate the people who are trying to make it all okay cause he reportedly didn't fire his illegally modified Pistol.

5.29pm: My colleague Vikram Dodd writes about the Independent Police Complaints Commission's initial ballistics results on the shooting of Mark Duggan, which triggered Saturday's initial riots in Tottenham.

The results show:

• The bullet lodged in the police radio is a "jacketed round". This is a police issue bullet and, while it is still subject to DNA analysis, it is consistent with having been fired from a Metropolitan police Heckler and Koch MP5 submachine gun.

• The firearm found at the scene was a converted BBM "Bruni" self-loading pistol. This is not a replica; the scientist considers it to be a firearm for the purposes of the Firearms Act and a prohibited weapon and is therefore illegal.

• The handgun was found to have a "bulleted cartridge" in the magazine, which is being subject to further tests.

• At this stage there is no evidence that the handgun found at the scene was fired during the incident. The FSS has told the IPCC that it may not be possible to say for certain; however further tests are being carried out in an attempt to establish this.

Manager said:
Apparently this was a false alarm, saw this on a Manchester forum:

Someone just posted this, but it could be anything:

I heard GMP fucked a couple of them up and the rest ran away. How it should have been in London on Sunday. Fuck up a few of them, bust some skulls and then watch the rest go home as they see consequences to their looting actions.

LegendofJoe said:
I've been busy the last few days and I'm behind on what the situation is like on the ground. Is the violence and/or numbers of people looting/rioting dying down now?
It was the largest it's been last night, with sporadic reports of small looting/vandalism throughout the day, we'll see tonight if it's really dying down or not, but many stores closed early today and boarded their windows

marrec said:
He had a gun presumably. It's quite possible he was threatening to fire or wouldn't lower his weapon. Duggan isn't some martry and I hate the people who are trying to make it all okay cause he reportedly didn't fire his illegally modified Pistol.
No matter what happens we can't keep making assumptions. We have no idea what happened , so let's leave the guess work to others

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ponti said:
I wasn't serious, obviously. I love you guys really.

Hey, am I so bad for thinking that you guys have rooms for tea? There's rooms for all kinds of things. In retrospect, I should have said "attics" but I didn't realize it was such a hot spot.

marrec said:
It's also likely most people rioting don't even know who Mark Duggan is.

Manager

Aad said:
So I hear there's some skirmishes in Leeds, anyone confirm?

This was just posted on a Leeds forum, Waccoe (registration locked though):
talking about the riots on radio 5 they mentioned it kicking off in leeds but said it was more about football than anything else.

The trouble in Chapeltown was completely unrelated aswell, it's Chapeltown for god sake. Happens every week.

my friend has just told me they're being evacuated from her offices near princes square, just said loads of police and apparently debenhams getting boarded up but i doubt they would evacuate people just for a leeds game tonight

Ponti

Sunflower said:
Hey, am I so bad for thinking that you guys have rooms for tea? There's rooms for all kinds of things. In retrospect, I should have said "attics" but I didn't realize it was such a hot spot.
We take our tea very seriously.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
yeah. you heard that girl, it's the "conservatives or rich people or whateva".

lenin would be proud.

I think this is very true. Listneing to the ones the interviewers here have talked to /accosted, they seem to just say "its for meh taxes, innit" or something dumb like that

"...IPCC investigators have spoken to the officers involved in the operation and have received forensic test results on the bullet which hit the police officer.

They have established that the bullet was a police-issue round which went through Duggan’s arm and lodged in another officer’s radio.

Duggan’s firearm, a blank-firing weapon which had been converted, was not fired at the police. However it is believed that he did draw the gun.

The IPCC is still awaiting tests results to discover definitively whether or not the weapon was fired."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8687177/London-riots-live.html

SteveWD40

Manager said:
Apparently this was a false alarm, saw this on a Manchester forum:

Someone just posted this, but it could be anything:

Nope, Portland Street is the end of my road, didn't hear one and haven't' heard shit.

When "80 youths" becomes 20 kids trying it on you know it's just people melting down with no backing.

Hell a bunch of people panicked here as they had closed the motorway leading to the Trafford Centre (big mall), turns out it was due to a lorry overturning.

Twitter is in some ways making this worse.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
xlarge_london_miata.jpg

"why, why was I programmed to feel pain!?"

Meadows

Banned
I <3 GMP.

I know a couple of officers, huge fuckers too, wouldn't wanna get on their bad side they'd crush a looter in two with their little fingers.

Sunflower said:
We have public tea rooms in some places...

Manager

Also, regarding Leeds: Leeds vs Bradford will be played tonight, so things would've kicked off there anyway. Been trouble surrounding that setup before.

Empty

yeah i think this is important to emphasise. the looting and riots we see now have really no connection outside of opportunistic 'we can get away with stuff in this context', to the original protest outside a police station which turned ugly. that was specific to a individual community and had a purpose and direct complaint, these are kids looking to get free xboxes and getting kicks from destroying stuff. some may in part be motivated by getting one over the police because of previous stuff, but it doesn't have to do with mark duggan.

Meadows

Banned
Christ, Leeds v Bradford? Odds on there would have been a riot anyway. Ugh, I fucking hate Yorkshire, only 1 more year until Manchester/Sydney/Taipei :)

Manager

SteveWD40 said:
Nope, Portland Street is the end of my road, didn't hear one and haven't' heard shit.

When "80 youths" becomes 20 kids trying it on you know it's just people melting down with no backing.

Hell a bunch of people panicked here as they had closed the motorway leading to the Trafford Centre (big mall), turns out it was due to a lorry overturning.

Twitter is in some ways making this worse.

Best to follow the Manchester police force twitter then:
http://twitter.com/#!/gmpolice

No looting so far.

Aad

Manager said:
Also, regarding Leeds: Leeds vs Bradford will be played tonight, so things would've kicked of there anyway. Been trouble surrounding that setup before.
Not good, the rivalry and the riot scares... stay safe Leeds.

Raxel

Here are some snaps my brother and I took last night in Ealing:

224398_10150741683415367_526280366_20153964_5248089_n.jpg

205877_10150741683650367_526280366_20153968_1495792_n.jpg

283502_10150741685010367_526280366_20153998_2298562_n.jpg
* That glow is from an angle grinder
282024_10150741685750367_526280366_20154018_5940242_n.jpg

216788_10150741688265367_526280366_20154077_5465814_n.jpg

224569_10150741687310367_526280366_20154053_2234677_n.jpg
* We saw a robbery in progress
282397_10150741687405367_526280366_20154056_8353419_n.jpg

Hounslow was fine last night. I hear Southall, Hounslow and Hounslow West have been locked down as of mid-afternoon.

Meadows

Banned
gmpolice GM Police
Wigan man arrested on suspicion of using social media to incite disorder by GMP

Bet he got a good knock around the head :)

BlazingDarkness said:
It was the largest it's been last night, with sporadic reports of small looting/vandalism throughout the day, we'll see tonight if it's really dying down or not, but many stores closed early today and boarded their windows

Based on what I've read the motivation behind the riot is pretty tremulous. So surely things have to deescalate soon?

Meadows said:
I <3 GMP.

I know a couple of officers, huge fuckers too, wouldn't wanna get on their bad side they'd crush a looter in two with their little fingers.

Yeah, they have done a sterling job in Manchester. One of the few cities with a lot of inner city gang violence that has yet to descend into chaos. Great work.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Meadows said:
Don't be a bellend
It's a riot, people, not some national tragedy at this point. But no more jokes, and I do sincerely hope that no innocent person gets harmed through its resolution.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Hows the gaffer who was bottled last night?

Hope your ok man if you read this, my thoughts are with you and hope you ain't scarred.

Zenith

Banned
The police were more than happy to crack heads at the pro-hunting, anti-capitalist and anti-power station rallies. Pics of whole rows of cops laying in with batons. You telling me they can't do it here?

SteveWD40

zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, they have done a sterling job in Manchester. One of the few cities with a lot of inner city gang violence that has yet to descend into chaos. Great work.

We have one benefit that we get this a lot, hell I was in town when Rangers played St Petersberg a few years back, 200k of them right in the centre...

Every Derby our police get a warm up for riots.

Sky just did a short report comparing the education and employment statistics in the areas hit with those that weren't. Whilst all of the communities are angered, communities in e.g. Hackney are more likely to have the opinion that socio-economic factors are the underlying causes for this type of culture whereas those in e.g. Battersea are more likely to dismiss it as sheer madness. I found that very interesting.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Right now this seems to be an England-only affair. I'd like to think that the second someone started shit in Glasgow, people would get all John Smeaton on them.

Clear said:
Posted earlier, but still if true:

Gawker Article

How disgusting is this?

It's the same "I can do what I want" attitude... Who the fuck are these people to think they somehow are above the law?

'Team Poison' were on the periphery of the whole Lulzsec thing. They seemingly consist entirely of 15 year olds - they're literally a bunch of children. Funnily enough this results in a tendency to do really stupid things.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
motherfuckers broke the mcdonald's i used to visit.

Ponti

industrian said:
Right now this seems to be an England-only affair. I'd like to think that the second someone started shit in Glasgow, people would get all John Smeaton on them.
Pff if people in Edinburgh can't even start a riot over these bloody trams then some chavs in London won't do shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom