• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

TheExecutive said:
I cannot believe that a curfew hasnt been set and isnt being enforced yet. Its mind blowing. You stop the rioters before they leave their houses to commit crimes.
How do you enforce a nationwide curfew? It can't be done.

msv said:
What about paintballs? As long as you don't aim for the eyes you can shoot people relatively safely. You can have squads of riot police roaming around and shooting looters, taggin em while they're at it.

rubber bullets are cheaper than buying paintball gear

Carl

Scarecrow said:
Doesn't Britain have a military? Why not bring them in to crack some skulls?

They say the army wouldn't be able to do anything more than the police.

Not that we really have much of an army left. Loads of cuts

anonnumber6 said:
Apparently the Arndale Centre is closing in Manchester according to some of my friends that work there and have been sent home.

It was very much open when I was in there 15 minutes ago. One shop (JD sports) was closed though.

Ashes

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Enforcing it might be a problem. But after the first few rioters get stopped and sent home, or face arrest, pretty sure, a lot of others will soon get the message.

And you wouldn't necessarily need trained riot police. Normal police officers and citizens arrests can be done wherever.

I think more local curfews would be best, i.e hotspots etc...

Mr_Brit

Banned
Psychotext said:
I'm with the people who say releasing Modern Warfare 3 would end this instantly.

Do your bit Activision.
I wouldn't be surprised if MW3 has a 'No Russian' style mission except it's set in London and instead of passengers you mow down rioters, I could really see Activision doing something like that to generate sales.

SmokyDave said:

You dont enforce it nationwide you enforce it in key boroughs and major transportation hubs. You effectively target your forces and make it extremely difficult to travel.

Stevie Gerrard said:
It was very much open when I was in there 15 minutes ago. One shop (JD sports) was closed though.
I'm not really sure what is going on, just got some text messages saying they have been sent home.

Scarecrow

Carl said:
They say the army wouldn't be able to do anything more than the police.

Not that we really have much of an army left. Loads of cuts
Maybe not to lay out some beat downs, but more men at the polices' disposal would help a little bit. They're spread thin as it is, right?

Sipowicz

Banned
only way this'll get sorted is by community groups protecting their neighbourhoods

if it kicks off in newcastle i'm going down to protect my parents house

Prine

Banned
Yeah, i cant help but get angry at people taking a curious stroll through rioting areas. Your making it difficult for police to do their job.

People at work have been asked to leave early. Its now approaching Kingston Upon Thames apparently. Right next to me.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Things brewing in Wolverhampton:

368645590.jpg

That's a scary shot.

Prine said:
Yeah, i cant help but get angry at people taking a curious stroll through rioting areas. Your making it dificult for police to do their job.

People at work have been asked to leave early. Its now approaching Kingston Upon Thames apparently. Right next to me.

I said this during the Toronto riots last year and got chewed out by GAF when I didn't show much sympathy for bystanderds who got caught up in the mess.

Ponti

Scarecrow said:
Maybe not to lay out some beat downs, but more men at the polices' disposal would help a little bit. They're spread thin as it is, right?
There will be 10000 more police tonight, but it won't really matter if their hands are still tied.

Carl

Scarecrow said:

They've drawn in police from all around the country, and sent them to London... >.<

SmokyDave

TheExecutive said:
You dont enforce it nationwide you enforce it in key boroughs and major transportation hubs. You effectively target your forces and make it extremely difficult to travel.
I'll put it differently then - you can't enforce a curfew on these people. They don't give a fuck. Basically, curfew is a non-starter.

anonnumber6 said:
I'm not really sure what is going on, just got some text messages saying they have been sent home.
I imagine it's up to each shop whether they want to close early. The city centre was pretty quiet, there were 4 riot vans waiting by piccadilly gardens but that's it

PJV3

Prine said:
Yeah, i cant help but get angry at people taking a curious stroll through rioting areas. Your making it difficult for police to do their job.

I'm hearing a lot of sirens, i live 2 minutes away in Norbiton village.

Chinner

Banned
SmokyDave said:
I'll put it differently then - you can't enforce a curfew on these people. They don't give a fuck. Basically, curfew is a non-starter.
the curfew would affect the wrong people.

SmokyDave said:

Yeah you can, you detain anyone violating it. That's the beauty of a curfew, it creates the legal presumption that person is breaking the law by being out and allows the police to take early action on that alone.

Stevie Gerrard said:
I imagine it's up to each shop whether they want to close early. The city centre was pretty quiet, there were 4 riot vans waiting by piccadilly gardens but that's it
Any word on what's happening right now?
I got a text saying it's kicking off in the centre

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
16.56 Greater Manchester Police report a stand-off with 70-80 youths at a shopping centre in Salford. Earlier "children" ran through the shopping centre knocking over bins and stealing from shops. So far Manchester has escaped the violence that has blighted much of the country.

I've got a feeling its going to be worse in the likes of Birmingham, Liverpool and Bristol tonight than London. I hope I'm wrong. The feeling I get is that 16000 police might deter the yobs to some extent in London... I don't think the deterrant will be as strong in other cities.

Furret

Banned
Aad said:
I never knew baseball was that popular in England.

It isn't.

Baseball bats are thought of purely as a means of self defence here.

Cricket bats are larger and more difficult to store/conceal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom