• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meadows said:
It isn't close to any of the rioting though, it's way out of place.

An associate as Sony said they have security cam footage of looters trying to get it, failing and then petrol bombing the place.

SapientWolf said:
Violence may prove be necessary to end the riots but it's still monstrous to get a huge thrill at the prospect. Although some people here are just venting anger.

Genetic diversity allows for people with violent capacity to exist in times of civility and play by the rules. That some may get a thrill when the shackles of civility are removed for the purpose of defending civilization isn't an inherently bad thing.

jakonovski said:
Assumptions that seem ever more correct, given that you have such a laundry list of people you want killed.

Huh?

Where is my list of people who should be killed?

You should try reading better.

btkadams

cyberheater said:
Indeed.

The question is how can we turn these thousands of disaffected youths into useful members of society and create an environment to ensure this doesn't happen again. It just goes to show how successive governments have completely fucked this country.
i don't know dude. look at the vancity riots and all the videos of people fighting in mcdonalds parking lots. there are stupid and useless people all over the world. i don't think any government has solved this problem. all they can do to improve is try to get better at reacting. dense populated areas bring many stupid people in close proximity.

Furret

Banned
jakonovski said:
Fuck off with that. You just wish to hurt people you don't like, even if it meant that the riots became worse as a result.

This kind of insipid refusal to apportion blame or wield any kind of authoritive power is the root cause of this problem.

I hope for your sake, and the sake of your neighbours, that you don't have any kids.

We are talking about feral animals here, not useful members of society. Obviously we can't have them all killed but I can't think of any other solution that would actually work.

And before you start with your mealy mouthed rubbish about placating them and understanding their issues: no talking to them would not help. Teaching them not to talk back might though.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
thezerofire said:
Salford's got the big shields

X3Ii3.png

And Calvin Klein Riot headgear too! - Go GMP! :D

Goldrusher

ClosingADoor said:
Sony is known for televisions and game consoles.

Probably some people thinking they could steal a lot of stuff there.
Doesn't explain setting it on fire.

Same with the shops. Most of them have homes above them. One apartment even contained 2 cats. Both dead.

Meus Renaissance said:
PaulLewis: #Enfield: 100 white men, 30s-40s, sprinting along Hertford Rd. Shouts of "Get the Pakis."

this is the point when you 'Release the Muslims' and let them destroy the rioters between now and tommorow

Guardian Bob said:
The Olympics will be great.

I will again reiterate. Having the 2012 Olympics in London is a terrible idea, given the level of discontent economically, socially and politically. It will only invite trouble.

Goldrusher said:

Same with the shops. Most of them have homes above them. One apartment even contained 2 cats. Both dead.

Really none of the fires make any sense.

Fuck you random car!

Furret said:
This kind of insipid refusal to apportion blame or wield any kind of authoritive power is the root cause of this problem.

I hope for your sake, and the sake of your neighbours, that you don't have any kids.

We are talking about feral animals here, not useful members of society. Obviously we can't have them all killed but I can't think of any other solution that would actually work.

And before you start with your mealy mouthed rubbish about placating them and understanding their issues: no talking to them would not help. Teaching them not to talk back might though.

dehumanizing the rioters is not a good thing.

That said, the lack of water cannon and tear gas use is an astounding bad decision.

Zampano

Hello Gaf. This is my first post.

Just got back from training Muay Thai in Manchester. All shops shuttered, but a few hoodies with masks came onto the street and started looking for something to smash up outside the gym. The teacher at the gym started handing out swords and shouted "get ready!" - just to scare them off. Luckily they turned and went down another street. Was pretty scary - but I guess there's easier targets than a Thai boxing place.

Back at the flat in town now, can hear nothing but sirens and helicopters. Groups of these arseholes in hoods keep going past. It's like some game to them.

This sucks so bad. Manchester is just overrun by filth tonight.

Goldrusher said:

The way it works is that they try and loot a place, fail and then set it on fire for besting their looting skills.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
outunderthestars said:
dehumanizing the rioters is not a good thing.

That said, the lack of water cannon and tear gas use is an astounding bad decision.

I heard them say yesterday that water cannons are good for slow moving crowds, not for more rapid movement, as seen here. Supposedly.

Furret said:

Like so many, you destroy any and all points you may have had by talking about needing to kill people. Are you gonna add me to your kill list as well?

Pollux

Nihilistic Monk said:
Mate... Im not even sure what we're arguing about. All I'm saying is using the Army in a situation with assholes & fleeing general public members is something I personally think is a bad idea, and a dangerous precisent for the future usage in other situations...

If you just think "shoot up the streets" then fair play to you. Let's agree to disagree.

I think stop them, deploy riot police, give 'em a smack, kettle 'em in, just Don't deploy the army.

The police chief said they "will feel the full force of the law". Let's give them that. Not a sense of achievement that we need to deploy the army on our streets to keep the peace... What happens when they leave, or do we keep them deloyed in our towns and cities forever? That's what I'm getting at, not saying let 'em off, don't punish them and what-not.
This is what I'm saying. Do I think that tear gas should be used, yes. Rubber bullets in EXTREME circumstances, yes. But NEVER live ammo.

I think we might be getting at the same thing.

Prine

Banned
planar1280 said:
this is the point when you 'Release the Muslims' and let them destroy the rioters between now and tommorow

Not very muslim of them though. Just defend the community and anyone else, stand shoulder to shoulder with neighbours. Dont go looking for justice, thats what the police are for. We all should be ready to keep the nation and our homes safe.

Manager

Zampano said:

Just got back from training Muay Thai in Manchester. All shops shuttered, but a few hoodies with masks came onto the street and started looking for something to smash up outside the gym. The teacher at the gym started handing out swords and shouted "get ready!" - just to scare them off. Luckily they turned and went down another street. Was pretty scary - but I guess there's easier targets than a Thai boxing place.

Back at the flat in town now, can hear nothing but sirens and helicopters. Groups of these arseholes in hoods keep going past. It's like some game to them.

Sounds bad, stay safe.

Gotta ask: Being a long distance away and having no clue how it is, how have the general public prepared for this? I guess no one has left any car or anything left on any public parking area? Are most people (non-looters) staying in or are there bystanders everywhere?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Has there been any estimates yet of how much this is going to cost?

CozMick

Banned
Zampano said:

Hello and welcome to gaf :)

What was the head count of the hoodies? dozens? hundreds? or just a handful?

Joe

are there any groups of people solely targeting govt property? or is everyone just looting pretty much?

i'm all for "voicing" your displeasure at the govt or even big business but attacking small businesses is lowly.

Dabanton

Just been talking to my friend on FB who lives in Enfield it's getting ugly up there tonight.

his was out by the pub and Men are planning to go round looking to and i quote "fuck up a couple of thieving niggers"

Looks like the baying crowd will get the blood they seek this evening.

Ponti

Joe said:
are there any groups of people solely targeting govt property? or is everyone just looting pretty much?

i'm all for "voicing" your displeasure at the govt or even big business but attacking small businesses is lowly.
Nope, nothing. Just random chaos and looting.

Jezbollah

Wow. It wasnt long since a few here posted that nothing had happened in Manchester - then it all kicked off.. These incidents can ignite in a blink of an eye..

Crazy stuff.

Manager

cyberheater said:
Has there been any estimates yet of how much this is going to cost?

Someone on TV said £100m the first day, now I think it's impossible to tell but a couple more times than that?

edit
see below, £100m total

Fenderputty said:
I thought most people in the England were against the death penalty. I'm surprised some of you are reacting as though rioting / looting should warrant death.

People are against the death penalty largely due to their understanding that a large amount of innocent people are judge guilty by our judicial process. Far less are concerned about looters being killed in order to prevent them from looting.

Ponti said:
Even if they clearly demonstrate they aren't human?

They may be acting poorly, but they are still human beings. Their value to society may be debatable but their humanity is not.

At this point I am more angry at the government's response: This shows a clear lack of leadership, vision, and ability. I cringe at the reports of honest, taxpaying citizens who are going to bed afraid that something may happen to them while they sleep.

The passive tactical approach to this riot has been a complete failure, and those who implemented it need to be removed from their posts and replaced with people with the ability to protect the majority of citizens from the actions of a few criminals.

Joe said:

They looted Sex Shops and Oxfam. There is no political message here.

Furret

Banned
jakonovski said:
Like so many, you destroy any and all points you may have had by talking about needing to kill people. Are you gonna add me to your kill list as well?

Obviously we can't have them all killed

Cretin (and for far more than just your lack of reading comprehension.)

UK riots could cost taxpayer £100m
Insurance bill for riot damage to shops and homes to be paid for by police authorities under 1886 act

Taxpayers could face a £100m bill for the riots in London and across the UK, with police authorities facing the prospect of picking up insurance costs for damage to property across the country.

Retailers and homeowners were contacting insurers on Tuesday over the huge damage done to their properties and businesses in three days of rioting. Shops around the capital were shutting early amid fears of further violence.

Damage to both domestic and business property is likely to be picked up by police authorities, in particular the Metropolitan police authority, under the provisions of the Riots (Damages) Act 1886, which specifies that where damage is caused by people "riotously and tumultuously assembled", local police authorities are required to compensate victims.

The Met has suggested in a statement to the Guardian that it would meet the cost from its reserves, which are funded by the taxpayer.

"No specific fund is maintained by the Metropolitan police authority to cover claims against such contingencies but we maintain general reserves to cover unexpected events. Such risks cannot be insured against," a Met spokesman said.

The bill could run to more than £100m, according to provisional estimates of insurance claims arising from the unrest. The Met authority's reserves stood at £70.6m at the end of March, the 2010/11 accounts show.

Nick Starling, the director of general insurance and health at the Association of British Insurers, said: "It is too early for us to have an accurate picture of total costs, especially business interruption costs, but insurers are expecting significant losses, of well over £100m."

Liability for riot damages is a contentious issue. The Association of Police Authorities (APA) and the Commons home affairs select committee have both called for it to be reviewed.

Bedfordshire police was sued for £42m over the riot at the Yarl's Wood immigration detention centre in 2002, but was insured against the cost.

Rob Garnham, chairman of the APA, said: "The potential implications of the Riot Damages Act have been of considerable concern for police authorities for a number of years. It is crucial that riot damage is quickly repaired and communities restored but in a context of cuts the public will see little sense in a shrinking police fund being diverted to pay for criminal damage."

Businesses and individuals were being urged to get claims in as soon as possible. Insurers require claims to be submitted within seven days, since they in turn have to claim on police budgets within two weeks.

Stuart White, a partner at Reynolds Porter Chamberlain, said: "The good news for some of the smaller retail units that have been damaged is that even if they do not have a property insurance policy they may be able to recover the value of any damage sustained because of the rioting directly from the police.

"However the compensation under the act will not normally extend to the financial losses of the business while it is unable to trade. Trading losses are likely to be recoverable only by businesses with business interruption insurance."

Full Article At
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/uk-riots-cost-taxpayer-100-million

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dabanton said:
Just been talking to my friend on FB Enfield is getting ugly tonight.

Men going round looking to and i quote "fuck up a couple of thieving niggers"

Looks like the baying crowd will get the blood they seek this evening.

That makes them worse then the rioters. So sad to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom