• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dice said:
Person on BBC reporting from the Manchester city centre says he sees about 2000 people.

Good grief.

Luckily, crowd number estimates are literally always too high unless some kind of a methodology is used. So it's likely closer to 200.

caramac

SpaceBridge said:
Im watching the BBC News stream, and someone is reporting rioters in Picadilly? Isnt that in London? "Pitched battles" are being reported. Is this true?

Maybe Picadilly Gardens in Manchester.

jakonovski said:
You're just as much a thug as those cheering on the rioters. Another shithead getting his rocks off fantasizing about violence. You just wear a different colored shirt.

No. I don't steal, mug or vandalize. I don't congregate with crowds who are doing such, either. I don't cheer on such behavior. I do not support those that do.

What you are doing is like equating consensual sex to rape, because the components involved are the same.

Don't rob anything, you might get healthy, just smash the windows instead, lmao

article-0-0D5D145B00000578-729_964x695.jpg

Ponti

Meus Renaissance said:
PaulLewis: #Enfield: 100 white men, 30s-40s, sprinting along Hertford Rd. Shouts of "Get the Pakis."
The racists out to sate their violent racial bullshit now too? Seems all the countries scumbags are getting involved.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Meus Renaissance said:
PaulLewis: #Enfield: 100 white men, 30s-40s, sprinting along Hertford Rd. Shouts of "Get the Pakis."
Timeout, I need a break.

SteveWD40 said:
Not from where I can see, but then I can't see Market Street.

They didn't come from Piccadilly that's for sure.
Looking at the photos I saw one of riot cops in picadilly gardens at the top of Market street. If they didn't come from there it looks like it's headed that way...

So sad to see this happening in my home town...

Manager

outunderthestars said:
At what point do the police have to admit that their passive approach has failed?

I'm more surprised about Manchester, who were supposed to be prepared earlier today. You hear some guy on BBC saying he sees 2000 people without a policeman in sight, while stores all over now are burning and being looted.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Meus Renaissance said:
Bloody immigrants.

Count Dookkake said:
No. I don't steal, mug or vandalize. I don't congregate with crowds who are doing such, either. I don't cheer on such behavior. I do not support those that do.

What you are doing is like equating consensual sex to rape, because the components involved are the same.

Fuck off with that. You just wish to hurt people you don't like, even if it meant that the riots became worse as a result.

SmokyDave

Prine said:
Your ethnic background does your reasoning no help. All races rioting are from similar economic backgrounds.
That's the crux of the matter right there. This is about the feral poor, not the feral *insert ethnicity here*.

The interesting racial / cultural angle is the behaviour of the Turks / Kurds / Greeks. I have nothing but respect for those communities.

Edit: just read that tweet. fml.

Snowman

Spirit of Jazz said:
Could you explain how they'll contribute to society and won't further be a blight on the tax-payer? How their current actions aren't ruining the lives of business owers/employees and will probably have server repercussions on those who need benefits? In what way are we not better off with them dead?

How are they going to contribute to society if they're dead? Wishing death on people is never the answer man.

Even if you're entirely right (and i don't think you are), the ends don't justify the means.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jakonovski said:
You're just as much a thug as those cheering on the rioters. Another shithead getting his rocks off fantasizing about violence. You just wear a different colored shirt.
Indeed.

The question is how can we turn these thousands of disaffected youths into useful members of society and create an environment to ensure this doesn't happen again. It just goes to show how successive governments have completely fucked this country.

Prine

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

Ahh, i knew opportunists would come out the wood work to mount an attack amongst the chaos. They're always targeted (Asians) lol

Not all of these thugs are kids, channel 4 news was reporting that those arrested last night(?) including a youth worker, a graphic designer, a degree holder and someone who had just applied to join the army.

Looks like the anarchists from the student protests have hijacked this to further their own crazy ends but this time they've recruited kids....who obviously don't need much encouragement...

That's not to say kids are entirely innocent...

Meadows

Banned
Melchiah said:
Lulzec/Anonymous using the riot as a camouflage?

Someone is IMO. It doesn't make any sense, why would the rioters go to a random industrial estate and burn down a faceless building?

Pollux

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Lovely a race war.

That said about 100 people are possible marching to getting fucked up by cricket bats.

We can only hope, cricket bats are just as good as baseball bats. these people (rioters) need to get smacked in the face with a big piece of wood

Dilly

Banned
jakonovski said:

No, he's not. Someone who thinks that people who go outside and fuck up other peoples lives for fun should be punished with violence is not as much as a thug as someone who actually does these things.

It's obvious that these people contribute nothing what so ever to society and are happy to show it. I couldn't care less that they got killed, the world would be better off without them.

From a friend on IM who lives in Manchester:

"So we rebuilt the Arndale after an IRA bomb & now you gormless no hope fucks want to burn it down & for what?"

Meadows said:
Someone is IMO. It doesn't make any sense, why would the rioters go to a random industrial estate and burn down a faceless building?
Sony is known for televisions and game consoles.

Probably some people thinking they could steal a lot of stuff there.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
SmokyDave said:
That's the crux of the matter right there. This is about the feral poor, not the feral *insert ethnicity here*.

The interesting racial / cultural angle is the behaviour of the Turks / Kurds / Greeks. I have nothing but respect for those communities.

There was a group of about 400 Asians (in Birmingham, I think) last night who did similar things to force away rioters. Much respect to all of them that resist.

Lucius86

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Yep. Cannot agree more on both counts.

jakonovski said:
Fuck off with that. You just wish to hurt people you don't like, even if it meant that the riots became worse as a result.

Why are you so full of assumptions about me?

I do not have a post history of wishing for violence against people who are not harming others, even though there are many kinds of people that I do not like.

Also, there is a chance that I could find some of these rioters quite charming on a personal level. Thieves, rapists, swindlers, serial killers, Nazis, etc can all be charming and likable. Doesn't mean that the ethical man can't wish for their death if they are causing trouble for the rest of us.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Could you explain how they'll contribute to society and won't further be a blight on the tax-payer? How their current actions aren't ruining the lives of business owers/employees and will probably have server repercussions on those who need benefits? In what way are we not better off with them dead?

I thought most people in the England were against the death penalty. I'm surprised some of you are reacting as though rioting / looting should warrant death.

Falt

Cyport said:
You should be fine on the main roads, thats the M25 and M11 but when you get near just be careful and check news plus don't go down alleyways or where the police are.

Thanks for the tips. It's the idea of not knowing what we're going into that freaks me out. Thanks again, appreciate it.

Zeouterlimits said:
Irish HaloGAF loses a cool one, nooo.jpg. Career related?
Still Irish! :D Yeah, a few of us were offered jobs. So it goes. Looking forward to it overall despite the last few days.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Count Dookkake said:
Your willingness to be degraded is more offensive.
Violence may prove be necessary to end the riots but it's still monstrous to get a huge thrill at the prospect. Although some people here are just venting anger.

Meadows

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
Sony is known for televisions and game consoles.

Probably some people thinking they could steal a lot of stuff there.

It isn't close to any of the rioting though, it's way out of place.

@PaulLewis: #Enfield man in 40s held back by police: "They're rats, they're rats. They mugged my auntie last night."

@PaulLewis: #Enfield Hertford Rd witness: "They're just blokes from the pub chasing a way the black kids that been causing the trouble."

Manager

Meadows said:

Apparently it was looted before being burnt, and I guess if there's somewhere you'll find expensive stuff, it's in a place like that. Someone probably got caught up in the moment, but it's probably not an easy thing to do to start such a big fire in there. It probably won't burn as easy as a furniture store.

StuBurns

Banned
DangerousMali said:
Don't rob anything, you might get healthy, just smash the windows instead, lmao

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-0-0D5D145B00000578-729_964x695.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ealing right?

Some serious cuntian action.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
It wasn't that awesome.

It was a horrible necessity for those store owners. Darryl Gates deployed the police not to stop. but contain the riots in the South Central to keep it from spreading to more affluent areas. The LAPD abandoned South Central and K-Town. At least the London PD is being deployed.

Even when the LAPD did show up, they just looked around, saw the armed store owners, said "Well, looks like you go things under control." And left.

Okay, "awesome" was the wrong word to use. It was obviously terrible what the police did in that situation. The Korean shop-owners talked about how the police would flee immediately when shots rang out, and the Koreans would be left to fend on their own.

What I meant was that those shows of force and hard defense were exactly what was needed in that time, and I was happy for the Koreans, not for the situation, but for banding together when the police wouldn't help, and protecting what was theirs. That's what I found "awesome" about it. They didn't take any shit from the scumbags trying to ruin everything.

vcassano1 said:
There was a group of about 400 Asians (in Birmingham, I think) last night who did similar things to force away rioters. Much respect to all of them that resist.

Yeah, I was speaking to my cousin's wife today, her parents have a very high end jewellery store in Southall and about 300 Sikhs have banded together to defend the main street tonight and tomorrow night. Immigrants, fuck yeah.

dalin80

Banned
outunderthestars said:
At what point do the police have to admit that their passive approach has failed?

2 days ago, the scum involved aren't in the slightest bit afraid of the repercussions. utter lowlifes should do the world a favour and remove themselves from it.

With a bit of luck some will get trampled by the horses tonight and the rest will get the message that we are sick of their shit.

Count Dookkake said:
Why are you so full of assumptions about me?

I do not have a post history of wishing for violence against people who are not harming others, even though there are many kinds of people that I do not like.

Also, there is a chance that I could find some of these rioters quite charming on a personal level. Thieves, rapists, swindlers, serial killers, Nazis, etc can all be charming and likable. Doesn't mean that the ethical man can't wish for their death if they are causing trouble for the rest of us.

Assumptions that seem ever more correct, given that you have such a laundry list of people you want killed.

zmoney said:
OK...Kent State....they shot peaceful hippies. Here they would be shooting violent criminals....not even remotely similar.
Mate... Im not even sure what we're arguing about. All I'm saying is using the Army in a situation with assholes & fleeing general public members is something I personally think is a bad idea, and a dangerous precisent for the future usage in other situations...

If you just think "shoot up the streets" then fair play to you. Let's agree to disagree.

I think stop them, deploy riot police, give 'em a smack, kettle 'em in, just Don't deploy the army.

The police chief said they "will feel the full force of the law". Let's give them that. Not a sense of achievement that we need to deploy the army on our streets to keep the peace... What happens when they leave, or do we keep them deloyed in our towns and cities forever? That's what I'm getting at, not saying let 'em off, don't punish them and what-not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom