• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Well unless they want to chat with the Queen late at night in her bedroom (or was that the Queen Mother?) ;)

Seeing as how goodlooking the queen is, I won't mind a late night chat in her bedroom

Meus Renaissance said:
Thing about that picture is that pic isn't a demographic reflection of the area. There should be significantly more black peeps there. When I was walking around the area, it was predominantly young white girls/women with the broomsticks. It's not something I've blurted out randomly. There are several council estates behind that building on the left of the image. I was recording it today (posted vid earlier), and this are is usually filled with youths from those estates. Hardly any of them there today.

It's a shame

A damn shame. We need some of these so called black community leaders to step up and get these kids to help clean up.

Manager

Manchester subway personnel make great signs:

21eb5l0.jpg

oatmeal said:
Read the article.

The article is a piece of shit. He doesn't have any understanding of the difference between the tuition fees protests and what is going on at the moment. Do these riots look like the work of the "disaffected upper middle class white youth"?

lifa-cobex

MLH said:
Yeah I heard that, assuming the report is correct, it is disgusting. Police NEED to start bringing in the guns, this is costing the tax payer way too much and the police are just being ineffective.

I keep getting mixed messages.

Every time the police release a report it's always" Were getting on top of it"
Every time i hear the BBC report it's "where the fuck are the police?"

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Mecha_Infantry said:
It's a shame

A damn shame. We need some of these so called black community leaders to step up and get these kids to help clean up.
What saddens me, is that some of them are too busy making excuses, not just for blacks, but for all youths involved.

Ain't no reason for this.
As someone mentioned before, unleash Akinwale Arobieke on these kids.

Hmm, not to retouch old deep seated issues her name still brings to British politics, but I kind of wonder how Thatcher would have handled these riots?

... Well since in a way this is the manifestation of her policies 30 years later, maybe they should wheel her out and see what she does?

Adamm

If this goes on for another night they seriously need to bring out the rubber buttons, water cannons or tear gas.

Standing in a line in riot gear is doing nothing

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
A group of around 100 young man have gathered on Church Street in Enfield, and say they will defend the streets of the north London suburb from rioters. The area is peaceful at the moment.

Adamm said:
If this goes on for another night they seriously need to bring out the rubber buttons, water cannons or tear gas.

They just need to march forward and beat anyone not getting out of the way to the ground.

Astery said:
...No wonder the police can't stop them.They got to be more aggressive than this.

Unfortunately, i think due to legislation changes over the years the ability for police to handle crowds has been diminished. It's interesting watching the response in England compared to how trouble like this is handled here in N.Ireland.

Ponti

Adamm said:

London seems a bit quiet. Manchester have got their shit sorted. I dunno what's happening in Birmingham atm. It's not that bad tonight, so far anyway.

Furret

Banned
Hmm, not to retouch old deep seated issues her name still brings to British politics, but I kind of wonder how Thatcher would have handled these riots?

She would've had the SAS called in on the first night.

If that didn't work she'd have driven a tank at them herself.

Prine

Banned
Manager said:
Just a short answer anyone: read somewhere that the UK education system is messed up and that this piss the youth off. We don't have to discuss this in here, but what's the short answer? Too few university spots? High fees?

I went to school with people like this. They have no desire to achieve high positions in society nor work for wealth. They simply cannot tolerate hardship, they're content with mediocrity, a passive existence - until they reach a point when they realize they missed the boat, then blame others for their misstep. Yet none of their failures is seen as a sign of their life decisions, its somebody else's fault.

And we reward them for it.

The Parents play a MAJOR role with this mindset. Unless the kid is wise enough to shake off his parents lack of parenting (some do) it'll continue. They're taken care of, given free housing, healthcare and even food. But they want the cars, the money and clothes as well.

Meadows

Banned
Plainclothes officers have infiltrated riot gangs in Manchester, pretending to be rioters and taking evidence (videos, etc), whilst pretending to be involved. Making arrests as they see trouble.

edit: beaten

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Manager said:
Just a short answer anyone: read somewhere that the UK education system is messed up and that this piss the youth off. We don't have to discuss this in here, but what's the short answer? Too few university spots? High fees?

The folks that are saying there is nothing wrong with the UK education system are talking absolute rubbish. There is a widening education gap in terms of academical achievements between the rich and the poor in this country and it's getting worse. Basically a thick rich kid is far more likely to get a qualification then a talented poor kid. That is a fact.

Marleyman

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
It's a shame

It would be an excellent way to get to know a few different people; to get out of your area and expand a bit.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Prine said:
I went to school with people like this. They have no desire to achieve high positions in society nor work for wealth. They simply cannot tolerate hardship, they're content with mediocrity, a passive existence - until they reach a point when they realize they missed the boat, then blame others for their misstep. Yet none of their failures is seen as a sign of their life decisions, its somebody else's fault.

The Parents play a MAJOR role with their mindset. Unless the kid is wise enough to shake off his parents lack of parenting (some do) it'll continue. They're taken care of, given free housing, healthcare and even food. But they want the cars, the money and clothes as well.

Absolutely nailed it, spot on.

"I want it all too, but I didn't work for it, won't work for it and it's not fair!"

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
RT @mpoppel: Someone sent me: Looting across country. London call it 'an abomination', Birmingham call it 'a disgrace' & Liverpool call it a 'Monday'.

Meadows said:
Plainclothes officers have infiltrated riot gangs in Manchester, pretending to be rioters and taking evidence (videos, etc), whilst pretending to be involved. Making arrests as they see trouble.

GMP knows what's up.

Lakeside shopping centre has been told to expect a few incidents. Coppers hung around the retail park (Curry's, GAME, Toys R Us, Argos all in one neat line) and told the shop managers to close at 5PM instead of 8pm. Apparently they've heard Lakeside is on the hitlist.

Will probably amount to nothing.

Furret

Banned
cyberheater said:
The folks that are saying there is nothing wrong with the UK education system are talking absolute rubbish. There is a widening education gap in terms of academical achievements between the rich and the poor in this country and it's getting worse. Basically a thick rich kid is far more likely to get a qualification then a talented poor kid. That is a fact.

That's absolute crap.

But the idea that any of these chavs turn up to school, let alone had aspirations of going to university, is farcical.

Mr_Brit

Banned
cyberheater said:
That has absolutely nothing to do with this riot at all, don't why you keep trying to make it seem that way.

The idea of any of the people in the riot caring the slightest about University is ludicrious.

Meadows said:

The fuck? Why didn't we do this here? That's ingenius.

Meus Renaissance said:
Thing about that picture is that pic isn't a demographic reflection of the area. There should be significantly more black peeps there. When I was walking around the area, it was predominantly young white girls/women with the broomsticks. It's not something I've blurted out randomly. There are several council estates behind that building on the left of the image. I was recording it today (posted vid earlier), and this are is usually filled with youths from those estates. Hardly any of them there today.

We're too busy in church praying to Jesus.

I'm sorry but this isn't surprising at all.

Personal experience tells me that we're a community that spends more time harming each other than helping.

Westonian

Pardon my American ignorance, but is there not a British equivalent of the National Guard? (A home front military force that responds to disasters/crises such as this.) I'm not suggesting the UK go full Syria on the rioters, but a token show of force by a police force, already stretched way too thin, doesn't seem like it's working very well in quelling the rioters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom