• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meus Renaissance said:
Is it strange I'm more angered by the 5 dogs getting hurt :/

Not at all, it was never the dogs decision to be put in this situation. The police men know the risk with their jobs and chose it. They are disgusting these rioters.

Prine said:
I went to school with people like this. They have no desire to achieve high positions in society nor work for wealth. They simply cannot tolerate hardship, they're content with mediocrity, a passive existence - until they reach a point when they realize they missed the boat, then blame others for their misstep. Yet none of their failures is seen as a sign of their life decisions, its somebody else's fault.

And we reward them for it.

The Parents play a MAJOR role with this mindset. Unless the kid is wise enough to shake off his parents lack of parenting (some do) it'll continue. They're taken care of, given free housing, healthcare and even food. But they want the cars, the money and clothes as well.

This is the most sensible thing I've read in pages.

The depressing this is, these people, with their rotten outlook go on to have kids and pass their rot to them

Ponti

Westonian said:
Pardon my American ignorance, but is there not a British equivalent of the National Guard? (A home front military force that responds to disasters/crises such as this.) I'm not suggesting the UK go full Syria on the rioters, but a token show of force by a police force, already stretched way too thin, doesn't seem like it's working very well in quelling the rioters.
No. Closest thing we have is the Territorial Army.

_54514208_garymanchester5.jpg

breaking into Arndale

Sneds

storafötter said:
Not at all, it was never the dogs decision to be put in this situation. The police men know the risk with their jobs and chose it. They are disgusting these rioters.

Oh come on. I'm a vegetarian for goodness sake but over a 100 police officers being injured is much worse than a handful of hurt police dogs.

Meadows

Banned
Talk of vigilantes going into Manchester tonight wearing all white to distinguish from protesters. Will probs amount to nothing

Go_Ly_Dow

Prine said:
I went to school with people like this. They have no desire to achieve high positions in society nor work for wealth. They simply cannot tolerate hardship, they're content with mediocrity, a passive existence - until they reach a point when they realize they missed the boat, then blame others for their misstep. Yet none of their failures is seen as a sign of their life decisions, its somebody else's fault.

The Parents play a MAJOR role with this mindset. Unless the kid is wise enough to shake off his parents lack of parenting (some do) it'll continue. They're taken care of, given free housing, healthcare and even food. But they want the cars, the money and clothes as well.

BINGO!

Westonian said:
Pardon my American ignorance, but is there not a British equivalent of the National Guard? (A home front military force that responds to disasters/crises such as this.) I'm not suggesting the UK go full Syria on the rioters, but a token show of force by a police force, already stretched way too thin, doesn't seem like it's working very well in quelling the rioters.

No, there's no National Guard here. The English Home Secretary today mentioned that Britain is policed "through consent of communities." Therefore little to no show of force i.e. water cannons.

I can only assume though that the police must be in communication with the PSNI here in NI as our whole summer season is pretty much referred to as the 'riot season'. During which times 'force' is definitely shown.

Manager

BlazingDarkness said:
_54514208_garymanchester5.jpg

breaking into Arndale

How awesome would it be if all these idiots ran into it and then was to be welcomed by the GMP outside after looting.

dc89 said:
My school pal on Twitter @RedSwish is on the ground, trapped in Manchester.

His Tweets are disturbing.

https://twitter.com/redswish/status/101009153962676224

https://twitter.com/redswish/status/101015122432098304

He also says there is just not enough Police.

Wow @ 1st one, sounds like something out of Dawn of the dead.

Prine said:

Brilliant post, a sad but true reflection of part of society today.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
That would not work well in the US.

If their mission were to beat the hell out of parasitic hooligans trying to destroy other people's livelihoods, I think it would work just fine over here, too.

SteveWD40

Meadows

Banned
SteveWD40 said:
Crazy, that it could be so close but there is no noise here.

Glad I am on the top floor / 6th floor and there are fuck all shops round here though (and it's tucked away on a side street.

Do you live very very close to the Air and Space Museum/Beetham?

Marleyman

Banned
Nolan. said:
Whats more interesting is how people would rather stand around in the crowd and watch and film than intervene

If you are one guy filming 50 people breaking windows and setting shit on fire I wouldn't intervene; would you?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
theres a currys just down from that video. they couldnt get through there metal secruity door so they gave up.

Two police patrol cars are keeping watch over Bromley town centre and are expected to continue for the rest of the night.

Nolan. said:
Whats more interesting is how people would rather stand around in the crowd and watch and film than intervene

Yeah and get stabbed or your teeth kicked in. I wonder why they don't intervene....

...geez.

Marleyman said:
If you are one guy filming 50 people breaking windows and setting shit on fire I wouldn't intervene; would you?

Agreed, plus you can then hand the footage over to the police so they can be identified and punished.

Sneds said:
Oh come on. I'm a vegetarian for goodness sake but over a 100 police officers being injured is much worse than a handful of hurt police dogs.

It is not about the numbers but the circumstances, the animals cant choose their paths can they. I dont say the police deserves this, they dont. Yes the numbers are worse but the police officers werent forced on their jobs.

dwu8991

Banned
IdreamofHIME said:
Yeah and get stabbed or your teeth kicked in. I wonder why they don't intervene....

...geez.

Very true. It's best just to wait until the police or some enforcement arrive.

Empty

Nolan. said:

eh, these aren't urban kevin carters. there's lots of danger in getting involved and documenting stuff is more helpful than running away so long as you aren't under threat.

Sneds

storafötter said:
It is not about the numbers but the circumstances, the animals cant choose their paths can they. I dont say the police deserves this, they dont. Yes the numbers are worse but the police officers werent forced on their jobs.

The animals can't choose their path but ultimately they're only dogs. Humans are much more important than dogs. Just because the police chose their job doesn't change that. We might just have to agree to disagree.

Sneds said:
The animals can't choose their path but ultimately they're only dogs. Humans are much more important than dogs. Just because the police chose their job doesn't change that. We might just have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough, a disagreement is a disagreement.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cronen said:
GAF I've been out for the last few hours, what have I missed? Has it started in Manchester now as well?

I have friends on Facebook from back home hearing rumours of riots happening tonight in some towns in Kent.

map showing confirmed reports

looked out my window nearest high street to me I see no smoke in that direction, over lee, lewisham way i see a smoke cloud on the horizon, also took my boy out to eltham palace today the event was scheduled to end at 5 we got told to leave by 3.30 the whole high street on lockdown with special police on gaurd in no riot gear...took my boy home and people bording up shops , got home tried to get some milk saw two special police and the told me of rumours of the EDL forming in chiselhurst to come down to combat the rioters (these are jsut rumours) so take nothing in that, only the police are aware of said rumour

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
u fellow gaffers will love this.
from bromley
this is a woman talking last night to newsshopper

“I saw a blond boy take an Xbox from round the back of Argos, he got a TV and something stupid, something little.

“People say they are going to smash up Primark and burn it down.

“Everyone is coming up here, the later it gets the more people will come back. I just want to watch. I'm not stupid enough to go in, I'm banned from Primark.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom