• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan.

btkadams said:
if only we were all so brave and stood up to a violent mob.

I'm not necessarily saying they should be brave and have a go but standing around just makes it a bit more difficult for police to get their job done as well and just makes them feel all big and bad

Sneds

dragonfart28 said:
That's actually pretty funny.

It also seems invariably minor in comparison to the actual riots going on.

Are they completely unafraid of being caught? Seems like it. They don't even seem to care that someone is filming them. Even if there wasn't someone there with a camera phone, Britain is full of CCTV.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
dc89 said:
Apple Store in Liverpool have emptied there shop. I'll try and find a picture.

A sensible precaution. I wonder how many other shops will follow suit.

dc89

dwu8991 said:
I don't think they've been robbed as their windows are okay!

My post above it said that they did it as a precaution. I just couldn't find a picture at that time of posting!

Its not been attacked.

Rumours of kids joyriding a JCB in Salford. Sounds about right.

xbhaskarx

CadetMahoney said:
Someone needs to submit this
crispseagull.gif

dc89

cyberheater said:

My GF works on a retail park in Preston. The Sports Direct boarded windows up at around 4pm today. No reports of anything in Preston.

Marleyman

Banned
jufonuk said:
rumours of the EDL forming in chiselhurst to come down to combat the rioters (these are jsut rumours) so take nothing in that, only the police are aware of said rumour

Who are the EDL? I can look it up and will, but would they actually do anything?

elseanio

dc89 said:
Apple Store in Liverpool have emptied there shop. I'll try and find a picture.

Was down there today around 5. Everything was closed. A lot of the shops have glass fronts with no shutters, so it seems a prime target.

daviyoung

Banned
Nolan. said:
I'm not necessarily saying they should be brave and have a go but standing around just makes it a bit more difficult for police to get their job done as well and just makes them feel all big and bad

If the places are crime scenes then the phones/cameras can be confiscated by police for investigation.

"20.53 Mike Hills of The Times tweets:
mikewhills Just saw about half a dozen young teens carrying sticks, metal bars on their way into Greenwich"

33-Hit-Combo said:
How is London doing? I've only really heard from Manchester recently.

Dead. 16000 cops on the streets have killed the motivation to loot there, but it's all going off in Manchester and Birmingham.

dalin80

Banned
Marleyman said:
Who are the EDL? I can look it up and will, but would they actually do anything?

English Defence League, borderline racist scum but mighty patriotic and wont be liking this mindless violence damaging the country. And yes they wont have any reservations about cracking skulls.

Bleepey

Your Excellency said:
Do the politicians/experts moaning about BBM have no idea how dumb they sound? It's basically just texting. Maybe the history books have it wrong, maybe the Boxer Rebellion was organised via Blackberry Messenger and Twitter.

All attempts at politicising this are failing terribly. Ken Livingstone is going on and on about how it's due to spending cuts. WRONG, half these kids don't even know what spending cuts means. Others are blaming police cuts. But they haven't even started cutting the police yet. Others going on about youth clubs. Do they really think these kids wouldn't go looting if they went to youth clubs? Some blame the fact that these kids grew up in poverty. Except so did millions of other kids, and they aren't rioting. Others are going on about how the police treat these kids badly, and those tensions caused it. No, they really didn't - these kids would hate the police whether they were the hippies we have now or hard-ass militants.

My mum was trying to spout this Guardian-reader bullshit about how it's because these shits are unemployed and they are angry. I was like why are you trying to get me to believe bullshit you don't believe. Look me in the eye and say you would understand my brother or myself engaging in this bullshit. I looked at my mum like "woman do i even know you?"

Biggzy

Marleyman said:

English Defense League mate, wouldn't bother either as they are just a bunch of right wing bigots.

SteveWD40

daviyoung said:
It's dying out now isn't it?

No, just moved North after we sent a ton of Police down south.

GMP are doing well though.

Don't see this ending till the Police get nasty, think chavs are going to get bored of free stuff?

Dipswitch

cyberheater said:

I have to think Apple stores have the serial numbers of all their unsold devices logged as well. That's gonna come back to haunt these gobshites selling iPhones and the like on Craigslist.

Some guy reporting (at the scenes) for BBC think this is well organized and not as random as some have made it seemed like teens being given orders. Has anyone confirmed it? I just hope it calms down after tonight, but doubt it.

dc89

painey said:
Sikh and Destroy

Lol good one. But good on them. Adele's lyrics about London are ringing true.

"Shows that we ain't gonna stand shit
Shows that we are united
Shows that we ain't gonna take it"

Alx

brucewaynegretzky said:
How long can this possibly go on for? I was expecting it to be over today with so much outrage building up yesterday.

I don't know if the analogy is fair since it looks like a rather new phenomenon in UK, but in the very similar event in Paris in 2005, it took a few weeks before things could be returned to normal :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_civil_unrest_in_France

I wouldn't be surprised if it burnt down faster in this case, though.

Prine

Banned
Marleyman said:

Nationalist - Full of racists, hatred for muslims - was a source of inspiration for Brevik (Norway mass murdering terrorist).

They'll do alot, but may harm indiscriminately. So i dont think its a good idea. Lines are blurred with them

From BBC News:
2104: Tom Steedman describes to the BBC News Channel watching rioters target a Salford supermarket. He says they managed to drive away police who had been defending the store. "[The rioters] then proceeded to smash through all the shutters on the store, it's been completely looted, and now they've set the store on fire." Mr Steedman says he has seen a lot of people walking away with bags. "It's not just youths, there was actually a family drove up in a car and filled up their boot with stuff from Lidl and drove off."

baylon452

Neo Member
Woah the riot police in Manchester are a lot more armoured up than the ones in London, all kitted out in shoulder pads and knee pads. Have I just not seen the riot police with this elsewhere or is it just a Manchester unit or something?

Meadows

Banned
KennyLinder said:
From BBC News:
2104: Tom Steedman describes to the BBC News Channel watching rioters target a Salford supermarket. He says they managed to drive away police who had been defending the store. "[The rioters] then proceeded to smash through all the shutters on the store, it's been completely looted, and now they've set the store on fire." Mr Steedman says he has seen a lot of people walking away with bags. "It's not just youths, there was actually a family drove up in a car and filled up their boot with stuff from Lidl and drove off."

lol, reg plate will be piss easy to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom